Cruise etiquette

tulips*n*truffles

I am technologically inept. The phone that hit me was more advanced than mine (most are), but yes, I could remove the battery. I used I-phone generically (like people use kleenex).

And no, I would not pick up a forgotten I-Pad in the airport except to immediately turn it into lost and found.

And, no the teen was not rushing down the steps to find the phone, the horseplay was continuing.

Removing the battery was intent of disabling operation and tracking facilities of the phone. INTENT. therefore theft, or at least mischief. You knew enough to remove the battery.

If I saw you do it, I would have reported it to security. Who gave you the right to be judge, jury, and executioner? Not all items in lost and found get found, so you may also have cost the owner replacement costs.

If the kids followed you to your stateroom, and security found it in your safe, you would have some explaining to do to stay on the ship.

Edited by M4dC0w

I think the lesson from the saga of the phone, is that unless the victim ensures that they are recognised by all and sundry as being the victim there is a population of people who will seek to portray the victim as being the person in the wrong.

So with this in mind if anyone throws anything on me from a great height, I will go against all my British instincts of fairness and sand-froid and collapse in a heap, hoping that someone calls security, and the medical staff and hands the phone to the security staff attending the incident. When it is all over I will look at the many business cards that all the enterprising lawyers on board will have stuffed into my pocket, whilst I was on the floor and invite one them to deal with the matter on a no win no fee basis.

No doubt there will be contributors to this thread who will think that action would put me in the wrong and to be honest, and as a person who, when a cabin steward accidentally broke the screen on my wife's iPad, insisted the matter was forgotten on the basis that:

a) I paid insurance to ensure that I did not have to worry about who was to blame

and

b) the excess on my accidental damage policy was far less a significant sum to me than it would have been to our steward,

I would be inclined to agree with them.

However, given the attitude displayed in this thread, and given that fact that I certainly don't wish to deal with angry parents defending their child, what other options do I have other than to condone the behaviour by ignoring it?

Edited by Corfe Mixture

If you also saw who threw it would you have reported them to security?

Definately, for safety reasons, or at least a very stern warning. In this case the victim was victimized twice.

Not up to us to police other passengers

Edited by M4dC0w

So, a couple bullies grab a poor kids phone and throw it down the stairwell.

A 'helpful' passenger then hides the phone, apparently insuring that the

kid will never get it back.

Exactly. Poor kid. We have no way of knowing if the kid was part of the horseplay or just some innocent guy with a phone who was set upon by a bunch of bullies. The kid is no more responsible for the falling phone than you would be if someone stole your car and then hit someone with it. Would you hope the victim hit by the car would then take your car, pull out the battery, hide it in some bushes and then call the cops a week later?

Exactly. Poor kid. We have no way of knowing if the kid was part of the horseplay or just some innocent guy with a phone who was set upon by a bunch of bullies. The kid is no more responsible for the falling phone than you would be if someone stole your car and then hit someone with it. Would you hope the victim hit by the car would then take your car, pull out the battery, hide it in some bushes and then call the cops a week later?

If one is several decks removed from the start of the incident one would not know how it started in the first place.

Phone was not stolen. It was turned in to Princess (after a delay).

Not any different from a teacher holding a phone taken from a misbehaving student.

I would say it was quite a bit different.

Certainly reasonable for a teacher to take a phone, as the

teacher is in a position of authority in a classroom, and is

responsible to keep order.

This is more like a stranger who didn't like you talking on

your phone walking up and taking your phone when you

weren't looking.

If the kids followed you to your stateroom, and security found it in your safe, you would have some explaining to do to stay on the ship.

That's exactly what I thought. The 'victim' was lucky the kid

or the kid's parents didn't bring security to the cabin to search

for their stolen phone.

I don't think the "I was going to return it later" excuse would get very far.

An unlocked 128gb iPhone 6+ costs around $950.

If I were the kids parent, and the phone was found in someone's

safe, I'd be screaming for the person to be put off the ship.

Knock Ginger down, Ah yes, the old ring and run, usually followed by a bombardment of eggs or water balloons or sometimes the flaming bag of dog poop that the person would stamp on to put out the flames. Ah sweet youth, what memories. I wonder if my neighbor is home yet.....

Edited by tgwabd

I think the lesson from the saga of the phone, is that unless the victim ensures that they are recognised by all and sundry as being the victim there is a population of people who will seek to portray the victim as being the person in the wrong.

So with this in mind if anyone throws anything on me from a great height, I will go against all my British instincts of fairness and sand-froid and collapse in a heap, hoping that someone calls security, and the medical staff and hands the phone to the security staff attending the incident. When it is all over I will look at the many business cards that all the enterprising lawyers on board will have stuffed into my pocket, whilst I was on the floor and invite one them to deal with the matter on a no win no fee basis.

No doubt there will be contributors to this thread who will think that action would put me in the wrong and to be honest, and as a person who, when a cabin steward accidentally broke the screen on my wife's iPad, insisted the matter was forgotten on the basis that:

a) I paid insurance to ensure that I did not have to worry about who was to blame

and

b) the excess on my accidental damage policy was far less a significant sum to me than it would have been to our steward,

I would be inclined to agree with them.

However, given the attitude displayed in this thread, and given that fact that I certainly don't wish to deal with angry parents defending their child, what other options do I have other than to condone the behaviour by ignoring it?

If the person had said that they had taken it directly to or immediately called security, reported the incident and handed then the phone with a report that they had been hit by the phone that was either dropped or thrown down the stairwell, then I doubt many people would have commented negatively.

It is the taking it to their room and taking the battery out, returning it only during disembarkation that people seem to have an issue with.

Bad behavior is not a remedy for bad behavior.

On one of our recent cruises from Venice there was an abundance of locals. Apparently there was a special deal publicized in local papers. What a disaster. Kids having squirt gun fights in the buffet while Mama and Papa watched in amusement. They over run the pools and hot tubs including the indoor pool where no kids are allowed.

Run up and down the corridors banging on doors, pushed the elevator buttons. Pushed their way through the buffet lines while having a conversation with loved ones 50 feet away necessitating screaming in their local language.

Saved entire rows of seats in the theatre. Saw them out at 6:30am putting towels out on ten and more chaise lounges. Well, you get the idea.

What has them being locals got to do with it. I hear exactly the same complaints about cruises from all over the place.

What has them being locals got to do with it. I hear exactly the same complaints about cruises from all over the place.

I wondered that myself. "Why are those undesirable "locals" getting on my American ship in their own country?" Weird. Most people travel so that they can meet the "locals," not avoid them, IMO.

I wondered that myself. "Why are those undesirable "locals" getting on my American ship in their own country?" Weird. Most people travel so that they can meet the "locals," not avoid them, IMO.

It has a lot to do with it...when the ship is undersold and as a result is marketed at deep discounts (often with "kids sail free" deals attached), it's overrun with families with tons of kids. Unfortunately, many Italian families have a very different idea what proper conduct is for their kids on vacation - just read some Costa reviews.

Yes, British origin. I don't ever remember this happening when I was a child, nor did my children nor grandchildren do this. I guess we had better things to do. I have had my door knocked on in the ships. Bad Boys! :eek:

This forum has become so hilarious. ;)

It has a lot to do with it...when the ship is undersold and as a result is marketed at deep discounts (often with "kids sail free" deals attached), it's overrun with families with tons of kids. Unfortunately, many Italian families have a very different idea what proper conduct is for their kids on vacation - just read some Costa reviews.

And that Italian way must be wrong, mustn't it?????

Yes, British origin. I don't ever remember this happening when I was a child, nor did my children nor grandchildren do this. I guess we had better things to do. I have had my door knocked on in the ships. Bad Boys! :eek:

This forum has become so hilarious. ;)

So funny.

I would simply call the purser's desk, and say there is a group

of kids creating a disturbance at <insert location of kids>, and

could they ask security to pass by?

Optional: hand the phone to security when they show up.

Maybe not as satisfying as stealing someone's phone.

Edited by pablo222

just today we were on a beach and my daughter was in the water enjoying herself when she felt something hard hit her in the back of her head. She looked around (she was facing the water as she was taught to do) and there were some people throwing around a softball to their dog and missed and hit her. Fortunately she was okay but a bit shaken. When she came back to where we were and told us, we thought at first it was kids throwing the ball, but she said it was adults, and she was never apologized to or even asked if she was okay. My regret is not marching up to the lifeguard station and posting a complaint against them, especially with all of the small kids around.