Cruise etiquette

tulips*n*truffles

Believe it or not some people actually book a balcony so they can sit on it and and watch the ocean, read a book or even spend time alone with the one they love.

Others may have physical disabilities that mean they need to spend time in their cabin.

Quite true. I do plan to thoroughly explore the Golden Princess as far as I am able to when I do sail, but I have carefully scheduled a drink at a bar into my exploration plans, so I get to have a sit-down rest. Depending on how I feel, I might even try to ascend the staircase using a firm grip on the handrail, and my walking sticks held in the other hand-a photo of me on the staircase would be a wonderful memento as I usually avoid stairs due to needing the Rollator for independent mobility.

I find with kids, it's more often not realising how quickly someone can be startled into falling and hurting themselves. I did speak to one group, who, at first were upset at being spoken to, but kept a friendly eye on me for the rest of the afternoon-did some WONDERFUL interference re being crowded by impatient adults for me. I delightedly thanked them, and praised their ability to respond to another person's needs, even when they had no idea of what was needed at first. One father came heading for me in an aggressive manner, his son quickly intercepted and loudly told him, "She's thanking us for helping her stay safe in a crowd. We made sure people couldn't get close enough to cause a fall, and she was ever so pleased with our help." The father looked shocked his boy would be so helpful in front of his friends, I told him, "It's more lack of knowledge than bad manners. They were quick to spot trouble and tell me of it so I didn't fall over. Yes, they did ask some rather personal questions, but they wanted to know why I was doing things a certain way, so I gave them the general information so they could learn, it was something they hadn't had the chance to find out about before." I've since heard several are studying to work with Handicapped persons and enjoying their studies.

Quite true. I do plan to thoroughly explore the Golden Princess as far as I am able to when I do sail, but I have carefully scheduled a drink at a bar into my exploration plans, so I get to have a sit-down rest. Depending on how I feel, I might even try to ascend the staircase using a firm grip on the handrail, and my walking sticks held in the other hand-a photo of me on the staircase would be a wonderful memento as I usually avoid stairs due to needing the Rollator for independent mobility.

I find with kids, it's more often not realising how quickly someone can be startled into falling and hurting themselves. I did speak to one group, who, at first were upset at being spoken to, but kept a friendly eye on me for the rest of the afternoon-did some WONDERFUL interference re being crowded by impatient adults for me. I delightedly thanked them, and praised their ability to respond to another person's needs, even when they had no idea of what was needed at first. One father came heading for me in an aggressive manner, his son quickly intercepted and loudly told him, "She's thanking us for helping her stay safe in a crowd. We made sure people couldn't get close enough to cause a fall, and she was ever so pleased with our help." The father looked shocked his boy would be so helpful in front of his friends, I told him, "It's more lack of knowledge than bad manners. They were quick to spot trouble and tell me of it so I didn't fall over. Yes, they did ask some rather personal questions, but they wanted to know why I was doing things a certain way, so I gave them the general information so they could learn, it was something they hadn't had the chance to find out about before." I've since heard several are studying to work with Handicapped persons and enjoying their studies.

What a lovely story.

And those personal questions are a beauty of childhood curiosity, I bet plenty of adults would have liked to ask those same questions and it is sad really that we have become too inhibited to ask. Knowledge is the key to defeating prejudice.

In our experience people who let their kids act like that constantly are better dealt with by the authorities rather than you getting involved because the apple generally does not fall far from the tree. We are cruising soon with my 2 teens but we have intentionally waited to cruise with them until they were an age that we knew we could rely on their behavior and judgement. At every age we have taught them about being considerate for others in an age appropriate environment. They are both so excited to be able to eat in a fancy "adult" restaurant each night for the cruise! I'm hopeful that there will be other teens on our cruise that have also been taught how to behave in public and in a hotel environment.

This would drive me crazy. It's akin to trying to enjoy a meal in a nice restaurant and someone in the next booth just has to gab on their phone (last week I had to check to see if some work was done on our car and I went out of the restaurant to call the place). I'm always glad when I hear about a restaurant that asks that diners stay off their phones for the enjoyment of everyone.

I don't even know why they want everyone to hear their business. I did call my husband a couple of times, but I went to the aft pool when no one else was around to hear me.:cool:

I so appreciate the responses here! I was sure I was just being "whiney" and was afraid to post for an hour before I did! I ran into a neighbor when we left for dinner, who said they had just come from guest services and was told the matter would be dealt with. Apparently the same group was a problem last night (our ship was docked in port in Venice last night), but I must not have heard them. It's quiet now as I type (catching up on some blogging!), but of course it's dinnertime and there's a comedian tonight. I'm hopeful it's over! Thank you all for understanding and the encouragement about what to do. I never ever want to be "that passenger" that complains about every little thing, but today this felt like a big one!

Aside from "rude family," I'm so excited about the next 12 days! I hadn't sailed Island pre-drydock, so I can't comment about the changes, but I really do like the ship. I don't love that the back is just a flat piece now compared to others we were docked with in Venice, but the interior is clean and fresh and the staff is possibly the most pleasant we've encountered. Tomorrow night, I'm treating my parents to Ultimate Balcony Dinner, a first for me and I love having that to look forward to on a sea day!

Thank you again...I'll swing back if they happen to start up again. Thankful now for nothing but the sound of the ocean and a few fishing boats in the distance. You're all great.

Natalie

I have not read the entire thread as yet, but it amazes me that it takes three pages to simply get the point across that you call the PSD. The ship is like a hotel at sea and when you have excessive noise in a hotel, you call the front desk and ask them to do something about it. Nothing wrong with that - they don't want the disturbance either - you are not going to be lectured or told that those folks paid for the cruise too and are entitled to enjoy themselves.

I have not read the entire thread as yet, but it amazes me that it takes three pages to simply get the point across that you call the PSD.

After you read the entire thread, you may find some good advice and some interesting stories from others' experiences. I take grandchildren with me on cruises, usually with their parents, and all of them know how to behave. They know a bad report from somewhere will mean no kids' club or pizza or free ice cream. Kids like the ones OP describes give other kids a bad name, but there are plenty of well-behaved children on ships. I see them all the time.

After you read the entire thread, you may find some good advice and some interesting stories from others' experiences. I take grandchildren with me on cruises, usually with their parents, and all of them know how to behave. They know a bad report from somewhere will mean no kids' club or pizza or free ice cream. Kids like the ones OP describes give other kids a bad name, but there are plenty of well-behaved children on ships. I see them all the time.

Agree .. and I expected to find personal recountings of past experiences. And we too have encountered mostly well behaved children and adults on board. It's one reason I like Princess - not just the ambiance and the friendly crew, but we find the passengers pleasant as well.

I think we all have a different idea of what a vacation or cruise means. But I agree, I do not want to sit in my room. For me, I go for total relaxation. I want nothing more than to sit on my balcony and listen to the sound of the ship moving through the ocean, lol. It's peaceful and quiet. Usually.

I don't generally spend much time in my cabin, but one luxury I do enjoy on vacation is an afternoon nap. I would be quite displeased if some ill-mannered kids prevented it :(.

...Depending on how I feel, I might even try to ascend the staircase using a firm grip on the handrail, and my walking sticks held in the other hand-a photo of me on the staircase would be a wonderful memento as I usually avoid stairs due to needing the Rollator for independent mobility...

OT: If it turns out that you aren't able to climb stairs for a picture, a nice shot might be for you to stand at the top of a dramatic staircase holding a handrail (as though you are about to descend) and have another passenger or staff member take a picture of you while they are standing halfway down the stairs looking up towards you. The Piazza staircase on the Golden would be a nice one for such a shot, IMO.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

OT: If it turns out that you aren't able to climb stairs for a picture, a nice shot might be for you to stand at the top of a dramatic staircase holding a handrail (as though you are about to descend) and have another passenger or staff member take a picture of you while they are standing halfway down the stairs looking up towards you. The Piazza staircase on the Golden would be a nice one for such a shot, IMO.

BRILLIANT IDEA! It's now added to the photo shot list. This is what's so nice about Cruise Critic, the more experienced cruisers generously share their knowledge with the current newbie cruisers so we, in our turn, can share our experiences with those who are coming behind us.

I can manage a few steps safely, always made sure I could slowly manage stairs in the event of an emergency evacuation-Dad was a Volunteer Fireman and I've heard many stories of the chaos panicked civilians cause for the emergency services LOL. I've done my best to plan for all known incidents, the big unknown until I sail, is exactly HOW my poor balance handles the ship's movement. Am hoping I manage so well I head to the Future Cruise Sales office the next morning and make a purchase or 2 of Future Cruise Certificates.

In our experience people who let their kids act like that constantly are better dealt with by the authorities rather than you getting involved because the apple generally does not fall far from the tree. We are cruising soon with my 2 teens but we have intentionally waited to cruise with them until they were an age that we knew we could rely on their behavior and judgement. At every age we have taught them about being considerate for others in an age appropriate environment. They are both so excited to be able to eat in a fancy "adult" restaurant each night for the cruise! I'm hopeful that there will be other teens on our cruise that have also been taught how to behave in public and in a hotel environment.

This really hits the nail on the head. I don't care to deal with an adult who is behaving like a child (dropping an f-bomb every 2 minutes and telling his kids he's about to get f'ed up at the bar...what?!), nor do I care to discipline someone else's kids. We haven't had the noise problem yet today, but last night it happened again for maybe 10 minutes before the balcony door was slammed shut in a huff. Cracked me up if I'm honest! One balcony below us applauded! I don't know if the family is rooming together, just that they were all acting inappropriately together in 1 or more rooms above. I can't remember who posted about kids having their own stateroom, but I just can't imagine having younger kids or teens staying alone together in a balcony cabin!! I have traveled alone for decades, but was taught manners and would have been so terrified to disappoint my parents you couldn't have caught me swearing or being obnoxious around others! Yikes!!

Glad there seems to be improvement. Should the noise start again, I would not wait to call the front desk.

Definitely call again if the noise starts again. Princess wants you to enjoy your cruise, and these passengers sound like they need to be taught some manners even if that means being thrown off the ship at the next port. I hope others around them are calling to complain also.

Edited by FritzG

Some years ago, we took up positions in a small bar/theater area in order to watch a very popular performer only to have our view completely blocked by two twenty somethings. When I spoke to them, asking them to move, the male knelt down to be out our sightline, but his wife/girlfriend refused to move an inch. I couldn't find any staff who would address the issue, and I had all I could do to restrain myself from tossing her out of the way. To this day the thought still rankles me that I was so stupid as not to call security. Never again will I tolerate any disturbance that interferes with my reasonable expectations for a pleasant cruise experience. It's amazing how absolutely inconsiderate some people can be.

This really hits the nail on the head. I don't care to deal with an adult who is behaving like a child (dropping an f-bomb every 2 minutes and telling his kids he's about to get f'ed up at the bar...what?!), nor do I care to discipline someone else's kids. We haven't had the noise problem yet today, but last night it happened again for maybe 10 minutes before the balcony door was slammed shut in a huff. Cracked me up if I'm honest! One balcony below us applauded! I don't know if the family is rooming together, just that they were all acting inappropriately together in 1 or more rooms above. I can't remember who posted about kids having their own stateroom, but I just can't imagine having younger kids or teens staying alone together in a balcony cabin!! I have traveled alone for decades, but was taught manners and would have been so terrified to disappoint my parents you couldn't have caught me swearing or being obnoxious around others! Yikes!!

Good to hear, hope it remains that way. :)

On one of my last cruises, I was walking by a stairwell on the first night when some rough housing teens several decks above me tossed one of their pal's I phones down the stairwell. It hit me on the shoulder.

I picked the phone up, removed the battery and kept the phone in my safe until

the last morning. I put the battery back in as we were leaving the ship and turned it in to Guest Services.

On one of my last cruises, I was walking by a stairwell on the first night when some rough housing teens several decks above me tossed one of their pal's I phones down the stairwell. It hit me on the shoulder.

I picked the phone up, removed the battery and kept the phone in my safe until

the last morning. I put the battery back in as we were leaving the ship and turned it in to Guest Services.

Ha!

Unfortunately, this can happen anywhere and at all economic levels. Although not on a cruise ship, but in a five star hotel, I had a situation where a family was making excessive noise, banging on walls, etc. I called and security went to the room to tell them to quiet down. As soon as security left, the adult woman started beating the toddler boy and dropping f bombs. At one point it sounded as if he had been thrown against the wall. The boy kept crying, please mommy please mommy don't hurt me more. Once again I called security. Their response, we can move your room. You better believe I let every executive of that hotel chain know that domestic abuse was occurring and their staff reaction was to move my room. Despite my repeated requests and offer to testify, the local police were not called. I can still hear that boy screaming in my dreams at times. Was it my fault because I called security? NO. Was it a missed opportunity to protect a child from clearly an unstable adult? YES. So, imagine what would have happened to me if I had approached this adult with a request to quiet down.

I have a feeling if this happened on a princess ship, the offenders would have been at least put off the ship.

A few years ago we were on a South America cruise and arrived in one of the lounges early in order to get a good seat (front row) to view the fjords. Just before the ship arrived into the viewing area a woman came and sat down right in front of me, within 2 feet. This was a seating area that would put your back to the window so most of us were using it to put our camera's or other personal items on or to rest our feet.

I first asked her to move and when we pretended that she did not speak English, I proceeded to take flash pictures directly at her. I loudly commented that "all my friends were going to wonder, who the lady was in all my pictures of the fjord". She never did move and it really ruined my day, but I try not to let it ruin my cruise experience.

Unfortunately, this can happen anywhere and at all economic levels. Although not on a cruise ship, but in a five star hotel, I had a situation where a family was making excessive noise, banging on walls, etc. I called and security went to the room to tell them to quiet down. As soon as security left, the adult woman started beating the toddler boy and dropping f bombs. At one point it sounded as if he had been thrown against the wall. The boy kept crying, please mommy please mommy don't hurt me more. Once again I called security. Their response, we can move your room. You better believe I let every executive of that hotel chain know that domestic abuse was occurring and their staff reaction was to move my room. Despite my repeated requests and offer to testify, the local police were not called. I can still hear that boy screaming in my dreams at times. Was it my fault because I called security? NO. Was it a missed opportunity to protect a child from clearly an unstable adult? YES. So, imagine what would have happened to me if I had approached this adult with a request to quiet down.

I have a feeling if this happened on a princess ship, the offenders would have been at least put off the ship.

Why didn't you call the police directly. Also, you could have told the police that you tried to call hotel security and they were ignoring the issue. This might have gotten the problem taken care of and also might have gotten the manager of the hotel fired.

DON

I agree..........A call to 911 should have happened.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I believe I remember a popular comedian doing an entire routine about " One star people in a Five Star Hotel" funny stuff. (painfully true) :eek:

Five years ago my Dh and I went on a cheap Carnival cruise to the bahamas in the mid summer. This last sentence tells all.....big mistake!!! Cheap cruise and carnival does not spell "relaxation" Loud and kids everywhere:eek: Right next door it sounded like a dozen kids were in there and no adults in sight. Called the desk a dozen times to do something. It stopped but the next night.....right back at it! I believe parents use these cruises as a babysitter so they can go and drink.

Needless to say we will never cruise Carnival EVER!!!!! We now do cruiselines that are smaller that do not cater to kids......worked well for us! Everything has a learning curve:D