Cruise etiquette

tulips*n*truffles

Unfortunately, this can happen anywhere and at all economic levels. Although not on a cruise ship, but in a five star hotel, I had a situation where a family was making excessive noise, banging on walls, etc. I called and security went to the room to tell them to quiet down. As soon as security left, the adult woman started beating the toddler boy and dropping f bombs. At one point it sounded as if he had been thrown against the wall. The boy kept crying, please mommy please mommy don't hurt me more. Once again I called security. Their response, we can move your room. You better believe I let every executive of that hotel chain know that domestic abuse was occurring and their staff reaction was to move my room. Despite my repeated requests and offer to testify, the local police were not called. I can still hear that boy screaming in my dreams at times. Was it my fault because I called security? NO. Was it a missed opportunity to protect a child from clearly an unstable adult? YES. So, imagine what would have happened to me if I had approached this adult with a request to quiet down.

I have a feeling if this happened on a princess ship, the offenders would have been at least put off the ship.

I agree with comments that you could have called the police yourself.

Hotel staff will have a very very high hurdle for them to contact the police. It places them in a no win situation.

Edited by RDC1

A few years ago we were on a South America cruise and arrived in one of the lounges early in order to get a good seat (front row) to view the fjords. Just before the ship arrived into the viewing area a woman came and sat down right in front of me, within 2 feet. This was a seating area that would put your back to the window so most of us were using it to put our camera's or other personal items on or to rest our feet.

I first asked her to move and when we pretended that she did not speak English, I proceeded to take flash pictures directly at her. I loudly commented that "all my friends were going to wonder, who the lady was in all my pictures of the fjord". She never did move and it really ruined my day, but I try not to let it ruin my cruise experience.

As you mentioned she did sit in a seating area. Not like she she came and stood in front of the chairs. Just because people where resting their feet on the chairs, does not mean that people cannot sit in them.

So basically you were taking twice as many seats in the lounge. If you did not want someone to sit in them then sit there yourself.

Not sure whose behavior I would consider to be more obnoxious in that case.

Edited by RDC1

As you mentioned she did sit in a seating area. Not like she she came and stood in front of the chairs. Just because people where resting their feet on the chairs, does not mean that people cannot sit in them.

So basically you were taking twice as many seats in the lounge. If you did not want someone to sit in them then sit there yourself.

Not sure whose behavior I would consider to be more obnoxious in that case.

I also question if she "pretended" not to know English. It's entirely possible she didn't. In any case, I agree that you were taking up twice the seats, and she was using only one. If she in fact did not speak English, she may have been baffled by the seemingly rude behavior of someone taking her picture repeatedly and then laughing to others about it. FYI, speaking loudly in English does not make it understandable to someone who does not speak English, contrary to an apparently popular belief.

Edited by shredie

I also question if she "pretended" not to know English. It's entirely possible she didn't. In any case, I agree that you were taking up twice the seats, and she was using only one. If she in fact did not speak English, she may have been baffled by the seemingly rude behavior of someone taking her picture repeatedly and then laughing to others about it. FYI, speaking loudly in English does not make it understandable to someone who does not speak English, contrary to an apparently popular belief.

Sounds like confrontations are a regular thing.

Last thing I want to do on a cruise is get into an argument with another passenger.

On one of my last cruises, I was walking by a stairwell on the first night when some rough housing teens several decks above me tossed one of their pal's I phones down the stairwell. It hit me on the shoulder.

I picked the phone up, removed the battery and kept the phone in my safe until

the last morning. I put the battery back in as we were leaving the ship and turned it in to Guest Services.

I sometimes wish I had the ability (or nerve) to take a phone zombie's phone and telling the person on the other side that maybe this person may become part of the Darwin theory of survival of the fittest if he continues to walk around a parking lot while gabbing on their phone or crossing the street while gabbing.

On a recent cruise, twice we were sitting in the Princess Theater for a show and people were yakking away right behind us. And all of them adults (one kept talking to his little boy -- way to show how to be a good audience member:rolleyes:). I think that's inconsiderate for both the others in the audience as well as for the performers.

Unfortunately, this can happen anywhere and at all economic levels. Although not on a cruise ship, but in a five star hotel, I had a situation where a family was making excessive noise, banging on walls, etc. I called and security went to the room to tell them to quiet down. As soon as security left, the adult woman started beating the toddler boy and dropping f bombs. At one point it sounded as if he had been thrown against the wall. The boy kept crying, please mommy please mommy don't hurt me more. Once again I called security. Their response, we can move your room. You better believe I let every executive of that hotel chain know that domestic abuse was occurring and their staff reaction was to move my room. Despite my repeated requests and offer to testify, the local police were not called. I can still hear that boy screaming in my dreams at times. Was it my fault because I called security? NO. Was it a missed opportunity to protect a child from clearly an unstable adult? YES. So, imagine what would have happened to me if I had approached this adult with a request to quiet down.

I have a feeling if this happened on a princess ship, the offenders would have been at least put off the ship.

If I ever heard or saw someone abusing a child, I wouldn't hesitate to call 911. That is an assault and is a crime. In fact, one time I was in a Los Angeles hotel and heard a man assaulting a woman next door. I immediately called the police, reported it, then demanded to be moved (with a simple call to the front desk). It turns out it was an NBA player having a drunken beat down session with his girlfriend. When you hear/see a crime being committed, call the police!

I'll probably get flamed for this but an ounce of me hopes the family in whatever balcony room above us on Island that is being completely disrespectful (we've tried to figure out who it is and can't) sees it and gets it. Your neighbors on this ship for the next 12 days are already over you.

I'm sitting in my closed-up balcony stateroom, having departed from Venice a short time ago. I've been listening to a family somewhere above me with 3 teens (one might be a bit younger), yell, scream, run up and down hallways, swear, slam doors, yell at each other, etc., all with their balcony door wide open. This has been happening for hours. The kids were down on our floor mid-day chasing each other up and down the hallway yelling as they went. I watched 4 couples on balconies below us look around for the noise and upon not seeing anyone, go inside annoyed. The couple in the balcony next to ours went inside. We went inside. And when I say loud, I had earbuds in listening to a book and could hear them like they were yelling on my own balcony.

When did it become okay to allow your kids - and yourselves - to yell and scream at full voice with an open balcony door with no respect for anyone else around you? I just don't get it. In full disclosure, I chose to sail with Princess long ago because there are fewer kids and I just choose a less obnoxious environment for a month-long holiday...I'm not a prude or an old woman. I'm mid-30s, like to have fun, etc.; however, when I watch others so annoyed they go inside and the volume on my own balcony, floors away, is beyond the scope of reasonable, I have to wonder.

Yes, I understand "they paid to be here too and should enjoy their vacation how they'd like" and all that. But that being said, if someone had told me we'd not spend any time on our own balcony because of them, I'd have saved the extra $2500 we paid for oversize balconies for excursions. Or my bank account. :-)

This is the first time we've encountered such behavior on a cruise and I'm just sad about it if this is how the next 12 days is going to go! Am I overreacting?

Rant over. I honestly don't mean to offend anyone with kids or even obnoxious kids - I just can't believe you take yourselves and a handful of teens on a cruise halfway around the world for 2 weeks and then pretend you're the only ones on the ship and not care about the enjoyment of those around you. Be loud in your own stateroom and close your door - go to the lido deck and whoop it up - running in the hallways is just rude no matter who you are so I don't have an alternative for that. But seriously. Am I alone in this?! :-(

You are NOT alone. I would be on the phone (or in person) to the hotel manager and demand it be taken care of.

This is in response to Post #80 on the previous page of this thread.

I understand Patti Lupone is giving how to advice on this subject. ;)

Because the phone hit me (and left a bruise), it didn't take any nerve to pick up the phone and keep going.

As I used to tell my daughter growing up: "Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Hopefully, the young man whose phone I placed in safe keeping for the remainder of the cruise gained some wisdom on the cruise.

Edited by Homosassa

If I ever heard or saw someone abusing a child, I wouldn't hesitate to call 911. That is an assault and is a crime. In fact, one time I was in a Los Angeles hotel and heard a man assaulting a woman next door. I immediately called the police, reported it, then demanded to be moved (with a simple call to the front desk). It turns out it was an NBA player having a drunken beat down session with his girlfriend. When you hear/see a crime being committed, call the police!

You are right. I should have. I thought of doing it, but their room was down a side hall and shared the back wall with my suite. I would have had to walk out to the elevator bank and around the corner to where the adults were in and out of the hallway to find out the room number. So I thought hotel security should call the police. I asked them to several times. I also happened to be in a city that was experiencing riots that week due to a controversial police shooting. I assumed that the police would not respond to me if I called and said some woman is beating her child on x floor of the hotel, but I did not know exactly where. However, they would respond to the hotel calling. My bad and clearly I failed.

You are right. I should have. I thought of doing it, but their room was down a side hall and shared the back wall with my suite. I would have had to walk out to the elevator bank and around the corner to where the adults were in and out of the hallway to find out the room number. So I thought hotel security should call the police. I asked them to several times. I also happened to be in a city that was experiencing riots that week due to a controversial police shooting. I assumed that the police would not respond to me if I called and said some woman is beating her child on x floor of the hotel, but I did not know exactly where. However, they would respond to the hotel calling. My bad and clearly I failed.

The police would have responded.

But don't beat yourself up you did what you thought was right. I hope you reported the lack of response from security to the hotel management or head office.

On one of my last cruises, I was walking by a stairwell on the first night when some rough housing teens several decks above me tossed one of their pal's I phones down the stairwell. It hit me on the shoulder.

the last morning. I put the battery back in as we were leaving the ship and turned it in to Guest Services.

You stole a phone. How does that make you better than the teen that tossed the phone down the stairs? The phone's owner wasn't the one who hit you, and the hit was unintentional. Careless, yes, but unintentional. So who was punished here? I'm sorry, but you're lucky they were too young to think of calling Security on you. "Teaching someone a lesson" isn't a valid defense for theft.

I'll probably get flamed for this but an ounce of me hopes the family in whatever balcony room above us on Island that is being completely disrespectful (we've tried to figure out who it is and can't) sees it and gets it. Your neighbors on this ship for the next 12 days are already over you.

I'm sitting in my closed-up balcony stateroom, having departed from Venice a short time ago. I've been listening to a family somewhere above me with 3 teens (one might be a bit younger), yell, scream, run up and down hallways, swear, slam doors, yell at each other, etc., all with their balcony door wide open. This has been happening for hours. The kids were down on our floor mid-day chasing each other up and down the hallway yelling as they went. I watched 4 couples on balconies below us look around for the noise and upon not seeing anyone, go inside annoyed. The couple in the balcony next to ours went inside. We went inside. And when I say loud, I had earbuds in listening to a book and could hear them like they were yelling on my own balcony.

When did it become okay to allow your kids - and yourselves - to yell and scream at full voice with an open balcony door with no respect for anyone else around you? I just don't get it. In full disclosure, I chose to sail with Princess long ago because there are fewer kids and I just choose a less obnoxious environment for a month-long holiday...I'm not a prude or an old woman. I'm mid-30s, like to have fun, etc.; however, when I watch others so annoyed they go inside and the volume on my own balcony, floors away, is beyond the scope of reasonable, I have to wonder.

Yes, I understand "they paid to be here too and should enjoy their vacation how they'd like" and all that. But that being said, if someone had told me we'd not spend any time on our own balcony because of them, I'd have saved the extra $2500 we paid for oversize balconies for excursions. Or my bank account. :-)

This is the first time we've encountered such behavior on a cruise and I'm just sad about it if this is how the next 12 days is going to go! Am I overreacting?

Rant over. I honestly don't mean to offend anyone with kids or even obnoxious kids - I just can't believe you take yourselves and a handful of teens on a cruise halfway around the world for 2 weeks and then pretend you're the only ones on the ship and not care about the enjoyment of those around you. Be loud in your own stateroom and close your door - go to the lido deck and whoop it up - running in the hallways is just rude no matter who you are so I don't have an alternative for that. But seriously. Am I alone in this?! :-(

No members of cruise critic has obnoxious kids. They are all angels.

No members of cruise critic has obnoxious kids. They are all angels.

Which grow up to be an obnoxious adult who posts nasty blanket comments her on CC?

As a parent and grandparent I have taught them MANNERS. Yes, some of us teach those obnoxious children to act properly, say please and thank you, etc. Incredible!

As that same parent I would have immediately called security and stayed on them until something was done. Then I would have used the situation as a learning experience for my obnoxious children that aren't bothering you in the least. I would have explained to them that they are witnessing bad behavior and if I caught them acting that way they would be severely punished.

Then I would explain about the obnoxious adults that were their parents.

You stole a phone. How does that make you better than the teen that tossed the phone down the stairs? The phone's owner wasn't the one who hit you, and the hit was unintentional. Careless, yes, but unintentional. So who was punished here? I'm sorry, but you're lucky they were too young to think of calling Security on you. "Teaching someone a lesson" isn't a valid defense for theft.

Phone was not stolen. It was turned in to Princess (after a delay).

Not any different from a teacher holding a phone taken from a misbehaving student.

(No mention was made if the teen rushed down the stairs to try to find his/her phone.)

Not any different from a teacher holding a phone taken from a misbehaving student.

Actually big difference because the school probably has agreements/rules that have been agreed to, in place that allow it and even if not the school is in loco parentis so has the authority.

However original post was BS anyway, you can't just take a battery out of an iPhone.

Actually big difference because the school probably has agreements/rules that have been agreed to, in place that allow it and even if not the school is in loco parentis so has the authority.

I agree. I feel kind of sorry for the kid who owned the phone. His rowdy friends tossed it down the stairs. You could say he should pick better friends, but the poor kid went without his phone for a few days, and probably he took some grief from his parents for it.

I think you need to get your facts right. There was no theft.

In most of the USA and in the UK theft requires that there be 'intention to permanently deprive' which is why in most US states joyriding is a lesser offence (misdemeanour) than grand theft auto (felony) and in the UK TWOC (taking without owners consent) is lesser offence than car theft.

In many respects the youngsters were lucky. Anything solid thrown from a height can KILL if it strikes the skull and, given the phone was deliberately thrown, had the poster reported the matter to security, or indeed the person whose phone it was had called security as you suggest they should have done, then someone would probably have been removed from the ship and it would not have been the person struck by the phone.

There is also the fact that phone was evidence of possible assault. Who knew at the time that the person struck was not an intended random target? The injured party was therefore entitled was entitled to temporarily retain the 'weapon' as evidence of the assault.

The youngsters were very lucky that the person struck by the phone did not feign injury and collapse on the floor with the result that security and the medical team would have been called, which would have raised the question of who picks up the medical charge - the injured party, the parents of the phone owner or the person who threw the phone. My betting is that lawyers would have been killed in the rush to represent the injured party on a no win no fee basis.

Edited by Corfe Mixture
A few US states apparently consider joyriding a felony

So, a couple bullies grab a poor kids phone and throw it down the stairwell.

A 'helpful' passenger then hides the phone, apparently insuring that the

kid will never get it back.

If it really was an iPhone (which sounds suspicious from the 'removed

the battery' part) -- by the end of the cruise, most people would assume

the phone was hopelessly lost, remote wipe it, and then pay for a

replacement.

If you were seriously injured, I guess you might want to keep the

phone for 'evidence' in a suit against the kids/parents.

If you were not seriously injured, I think what you did was not very nice.

I would have found the security officer, explained the situation, and

left the phone in his custody.

This escalates the situation from simply returning a lost phone to

the purser's desk.

Where I live, what you did was theft.

They did a sting at the local airport were a 'victim' accidently left

an ipad behind. When someone walked up and took it, the person

was arrested for the theft.

Glad to read that the problem seems to be resolved. I can't stand it when people think going on holiday means they can act like animals. Actually, I've seen better behaved animals than some people! Sure, you want to relax and enjoy your holiday but the line is crossed when your behaviour starts to ruin someone elses holiday.

I am technologically inept. The phone that hit me was more advanced than mine (most are), but yes, I could remove the battery. I used I-phone generically (like people use kleenex).

And no, I would not pick up a forgotten I-Pad in the airport except to immediately turn it into lost and found.

And, no the teen was not rushing down the steps to find the phone, the horseplay was continuing.

Glad to read that the problem seems to be resolved. I can't stand it when people think going on holiday means they can act like animals. Actually, I've seen better behaved animals than some people! Sure, you want to relax and enjoy your holiday but the line is crossed when your behaviour starts to ruin someone elses holiday.

On one of our recent cruises from Venice there was an abundance of locals. Apparently there was a special deal publicized in local papers. What a disaster. Kids having squirt gun fights in the buffet while Mama and Papa watched in amusement. They over run the pools and hot tubs including the indoor pool where no kids are allowed.

Run up and down the corridors banging on doors, pushed the elevator buttons. Pushed their way through the buffet lines while having a conversation with loved ones 50 feet away necessitating screaming in their local language.

Saved entire rows of seats in the theatre. Saw them out at 6:30am putting towels out on ten and more chaise lounges. Well, you get the idea.