Cruise etiquette

tulips*n*truffles

I'll probably get flamed for this but an ounce of me hopes the family in whatever balcony room above us on Island that is being completely disrespectful (we've tried to figure out who it is and can't) sees it and gets it. Your neighbors on this ship for the next 12 days are already over you.

I'm sitting in my closed-up balcony stateroom, having departed from Venice a short time ago. I've been listening to a family somewhere above me with 3 teens (one might be a bit younger), yell, scream, run up and down hallways, swear, slam doors, yell at each other, etc., all with their balcony door wide open. This has been happening for hours. The kids were down on our floor mid-day chasing each other up and down the hallway yelling as they went. I watched 4 couples on balconies below us look around for the noise and upon not seeing anyone, go inside annoyed. The couple in the balcony next to ours went inside. We went inside. And when I say loud, I had earbuds in listening to a book and could hear them like they were yelling on my own balcony.

When did it become okay to allow your kids - and yourselves - to yell and scream at full voice with an open balcony door with no respect for anyone else around you? I just don't get it. In full disclosure, I chose to sail with Princess long ago because there are fewer kids and I just choose a less obnoxious environment for a month-long holiday...I'm not a prude or an old woman. I'm mid-30s, like to have fun, etc.; however, when I watch others so annoyed they go inside and the volume on my own balcony, floors away, is beyond the scope of reasonable, I have to wonder.

Yes, I understand "they paid to be here too and should enjoy their vacation how they'd like" and all that. But that being said, if someone had told me we'd not spend any time on our own balcony because of them, I'd have saved the extra $2500 we paid for oversize balconies for excursions. Or my bank account. :-)

This is the first time we've encountered such behavior on a cruise and I'm just sad about it if this is how the next 12 days is going to go! Am I overreacting?

Rant over. I honestly don't mean to offend anyone with kids or even obnoxious kids - I just can't believe you take yourselves and a handful of teens on a cruise halfway around the world for 2 weeks and then pretend you're the only ones on the ship and not care about the enjoyment of those around you. Be loud in your own stateroom and close your door - go to the lido deck and whoop it up - running in the hallways is just rude no matter who you are so I don't have an alternative for that. But seriously. Am I alone in this?! :-(

Call the front desk.

Agreed!

OP, your post was well-written and not really a rant. Tell the desk folk just like you told us. They'll understand and there's likely a procedure they use to handle this kind of situation. You are not the the first to have this problem and you're not asking for anything unreasonable. Running through the halls is a safety issue as well.

Edited by beg3yrs

I agree, See Passenger Services immediately and explain exactly as you have here. I do not think this is appropriate behavior at all. BTW, Cruise passengers have been thrown off the ship and left to fend for themselves in a foreign port for extremely bad/unruly behavior. (This happened twice on 1 cruise I was on)

Your enjoyment of your hard earned cruise should not be ruined by fellow passengers. It is up to Princess to deal with this situation.

Totally agree that you should go say something to the front desk and I'm sure they'd send someone from security up to check on the situation.

Until then, why are you in your room listening to the kids? You have a whole ship just waiting to be explored. Go sit on the Lido deck or in another quiet spot. You're on your vacation...don't give others the power to ruin it.

Edited by akeasley

Totally agree that you should go say something to the front desk and I'm sure they'd send someone from security up to check on the situation.

Until then, why are you in your room listening to the kids? You have a whole ship just waiting to be explored. Go sit on the Lido deck or in another quiet spot. You're on your vacation...don't give others the power to ruin it.

They should not have to leave their cabin/balcony due to noise from inconsiderate passengers. :(

Advising front desk is appropriate and also on Princess they have a dedicated "Youth Security" team that will confront youngsters and ask parents to account for bad behaviour.

Regards John

It depend s on the sailing. A disturbance in and around a cabin would best be handled by the security team.

I would be on the phone in a heartbeat. I would follow up with a visit in person to the passenger services desk if it wasn't resolved quickly.
I'd do the same and I'd keep on calling until they did something. I'd even record the noise to play back to them. Keep a record of who you talked to, when and what time, and the result. My next step would be the Captain's Circle Host(ess). If none of that works and Security doesn't do anything, write a letter to Princess documenting everything. Include all of the details. Princess needs to know when passengers are upset and the Passenger Services Desk and Security are failing.

I sympathise, and agree with others who have suggested approaching the Passenger Service Desk for assistance and resolution.

Frankly this whole "They paid to be here too and should enjoy their vacation how they'd like" is IMHO wrong on so many levels. My position is we're all in the same boat together for the length of our cruise, and it is incumbent on all of us to understand that just because we may like to do something does not me we should do it. Our actions impact on others and we need to adjust accordingly.

There is a specific section in the Passenger Contract dealing with behaviour and Princess needs to enforce it for the enjoyment of all of their passengers.

To the O.P. please come back and tell us what Princess has done to address the problem after you discuss it with them.

Edited by WpgCruise

Do communicate with the passenger services desk and if things don't change quickly, continue to escalate this - a well-written note to the head of security and the hotel general manager - honestly - this should not be tolerated on the ship is far from the norm on Princess.

[quote name='tulips*n*truffles;47082299

Yes' date=' I understand "they paid to be here too and should enjoy their vacation how they'd like" and all that.[/b']

If that's the case then I suppose people should be able to stroll around naked in the buffet if they feel like it? I don't think so. These people are being inconsiderate jerks and it's simply not acceptable.

My advice would be exactly what Pam said, start with Passenger Services, document everything including who you spoke with then Captains Circle host if no one helps you.

good luck, please report back!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Other passengers are likewise annoyed by the behavior. If others also complain, perhaps the situation will be resolved quickly. I suspect others have already called to complain, and you can add your voice to the complaint.

My advice would be exactly what Pam said, start with Passenger Services, document everything including who you spoke with then Captains Circle host if no one helps you.

good luck, please report back!

Would also ask to speak to the Hotel Manager in person if none of the above can resolve the problem.

Edited by Happy2cruise

I'd do the same and I'd keep on calling until they did something. I'd even record the noise to play back to them. Keep a record of who you talked to, when and what time, and the result. My next step would be the Captain's Circle Host(ess). If none of that works and Security doesn't do anything, write a letter to Princess documenting everything. Include all of the details. Princess needs to know when passengers are upset and the Passenger Services Desk and Security are failing.

Concur. Or be devious like I am and report a potential homicide to the Security people ("Oh Goodness! You've got to send someone up there! It sounds like someone's being murdered!" Not kidding, heck, just don't say that if the racket doesn't stop that you're going to be the assailant).

I'm so sorry - seems like you've done everything right - picked the right ship, iteniary, cruise line, to avoid this sort of ill-mannered shenanigans. Even on Carnival booze cruises and spring-break specials, I've never had anyone not respect the sleeping areas like that.