Doctor's Note/Special Accomodation

zippyjet

I think a dr's note could help to make sure you can bring a small fan onboard. (Along with a call to Special Needs prior to sailing.) Fans can lower the temp by about 10 degrees so that should help. I seriously doubt if they'll be able to move you. And there's no guarantee that the new cabin would be cooler.

Fans don't actually lower the air temperature. They create a breeze to make you feel cooler.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Someone who has a legitimate health condition that doesn't allow for heat wouldn't be able to handle it outdoors either. It's not like a medical condition knows the difference between outdoors and indoors. I'm really confused about this.

Of course it's hot outdoors. But I dress for the weather and am prepared with hydration and I know my body when too much is too much. When lying down and trying to sleep it's sort of difficult to sleep and hydrate at the same time. Also in a stuffy confined area there's less air movement. I don't feel it's too much to ask for a comfortable sleeping area. Especially when paying a fair amount for your vacation. Hotels for example that have central climate control systems that are inefficient or where the owners/bean counters are being stingy get downrated and get a bad reputation. If you think the language and reviews and opinions here at Cruise Critic are colorful and comedic at times go over to Trip Advisor. I and other cruisers have enough luggage to schlepp and I try to pack as little or as light as possible. I don't feel I should have to worry about taking a fan. Though there are many small ones out there if the room is that hot one of those tiny battery powered fans is akin to a bandaid to a gunshot wound.

Fans don't actually lower the air temperature. They create a breeze to make you feel cooler.

100% agree battery fans do nothing but move air around and not very much, especially lowering the temp

100% agree battery fans do nothing but move air around and not very much, especially lowering the temp

Old fashioned air conditioning---

Bowl of ice in front of the fan.

I don't feel it's too much to ask for a comfortable sleeping area. Especially when paying a fair amount for your vacation.

...I agree that you should receive a "comfortable sleeping area", regardless of how much you are paying. But being comfortable is very subjective. You requested that the room should be no higher than 72 degrees. Now, we live in South Florida. If I kept the house at 72 degrees, the wife would have to sleep with flannel pj's and a woolen scarf around her neck! Our house is kept at 76 degrees and that is where she is comfortable. I also realize that this temperature may be warm for the majority of people, but that is what makes this subject... subjective.

...You also made the comment "I don't feel I should have to worry about taking a fan." It sounds like you don't want to be inconvenienced in order to take care of your own personal problem. I'm just thinking that asking a cruise line to make absolutely sure that your room is no higher than a certain temperature might asking for a bit much.

Of course it's hot outdoors. But I dress for the weather and am prepared with hydration and I know my body when too much is too much. When lying down and trying to sleep it's sort of difficult to sleep and hydrate at the same time. Also in a stuffy confined area there's less air movement. I don't feel it's too much to ask for a comfortable sleeping area. Especially when paying a fair amount for your vacation. Hotels for example that have central climate control systems that are inefficient or where the owners/bean counters are being stingy get downrated and get a bad reputation. If you think the language and reviews and opinions here at Cruise Critic are colorful and comedic at times go over to Trip Advisor. I and other cruisers have enough luggage to schlepp and I try to pack as little or as light as possible. I don't feel I should have to worry about taking a fan. Though there are many small ones out there if the room is that hot one of those tiny battery powered fans is akin to a bandaid to a gunshot wound.

It is not possible to cool an individual cabin to 70..Ships are not built so cabins can be targeted zone cooler. The large common areas have chillers pushing out cold air. Cabins are completely prefabricated before being inserted in the ships. They do not have auxiliary cooling capabilities.

Cold air is also dependent on your neighbors keeping their balcony/French doors closed and the drapes shut during the day.

Might need to reconsider sailing during warm seasons or itins.

Sadie - that is the main cause of hot cabins - inconsiderate neighbors who leave their balcony doors open. That's why I hate to read about bringing bungy cords on cruises.

The bottom line is if you cannot cruise without a fan, you either need to bring one or don't cruise. They will be happy to try to accommodate your requirement for a fan, but they do not have fan making capabilities onboard and for whatever reason may not have one available.

There is no reason to argue about what a hotel does for you because it is not equivalent.

So again, if you absolutely positively have to have a fan, take it with you.

It is not possible to cool an individual cabin to 70..Ships are not built so cabins can be targeted zone cooler. The large common areas have chillers pushing out cold air. Cabins are completely prefabricated before being inserted in the ships. They do not have auxiliary cooling capabilities.

I have an alarm clock that also shows the temperature of the cabin. The air temp in our cabins in the last few cruises we have taken have ranged from 67 to 70. They have all been in balcony cabins. We do keep the curtains closed during the day to keep the room from heating up.

Couple of thoughts: I've read on these threads that these cooling issues have increased over the years. Many have said their earlier cruises on Carnival and other lines were more comfortable in the past, meaning in my book someone (bean counter) mandates saving some money by scrimping on air conditioning, or being an over zealous greenie. Carnival guest services/engineering state their acceptable temperature range per cabin is between 68 and 74 degrees which in theory is reasonable. If I can have my cabin in the lower range say 68 to 71 degrees I'd be more than happy/satisfied. I've had interior cabins and one ocean view on various levels many of the lower levels without balcony cabins so the balcony door open issue makes little if any difference.

In one of the recent replies: someone stated they do not like to wake up in a dark/interior cabin.From these threads I learned and practice: Switch your cabin TV to the live deck cam. During the day it's like having a window that faces the deck. Of course have the sound muted. Set the TV to turn on at the time you want to wake up and of course use the sleep timer for the TV to turn off. Another handy tidbit which I'm looking forward to trying to maintain a cooler cabin; cover the door vent with the cruise news letter (Carnival Capers) or just cover with a towel. This keeps the cabin air from being sucked out the doorway into the hall. To that poster who shared this tidbit many thanks and I'll be sure to report if this indeed works.:cool:

We've been cruising for 25 years and the warm cabin temp issues have occurred in the last decade. However, they keep making ships bigger and bigger. And new ships have more balcony cabins. When we started cruising, only suites had balconies. I'm sure it is easier to keep smaller ships cooler and ships without so many balcony cabins.

I just got back from first cruise on the Ecstasy (with my Mom who also uses a CPAP machine) and not only was our cabin cold, it was freezing! We actually pulled "something" out of the closet (I think it was something for under the bottom sheet if you complain that the bed is too hard, because it did not look like a blanket to me!) to put over us at night! :p

I just got back from first cruise on the Ecstasy (with my Mom who also uses a CPAP machine) and not only was our cabin cold, it was freezing! We actually pulled "something" out of the closet (I think it was something for under the bottom sheet if you complain that the bed is too hard, because it did not look like a blanket to me!) to put over us at night! :p

My cabin on Sensation was freezing. I closed the gadget on the ceiling over the bed that controlled the airflow;)

The cooling system is unpredictable. We have sailed on the Ecstasy several times and sometimes it was cold other times it was warm. The same is true on the other ships we have sailed. I would agree if a cool cabin is an absolute necessity then I would take an Alaskan cruise with a balcony.

Thermostat? We have never seen one on a ship.

All they have is a dial from cold to warm and not sure that even works very well.

It's usually on the wall next to the bathroom (yes, it's usually a dial but for all intended purposes, that is your thermostat). I can't remember sailing a ship that didn't have one (except maybe the Jubilee but that was a looooooong time ago).

Edited by Out to sea!

Couple of thoughts: I've read on these threads that these cooling issues have increased over the years. Many have said their earlier cruises on Carnival and other lines were more comfortable in the past, meaning in my book someone (bean counter) mandates saving some money by scrimping on air conditioning, or being an over zealous greenie. Carnival guest services/engineering state their acceptable temperature range per cabin is between 68 and 74 degrees which in theory is reasonable. If I can have my cabin in the lower range say 68 to 71 degrees I'd be more than happy/satisfied. I've had interior cabins and one ocean view on various levels many of the lower levels without balcony cabins so the balcony door open issue makes little if any difference.

Open balcony doors door make a difference to not only that cabin but cabins around them. Cruise might have been cooler in past years due to fewer balcony doors available to be left open by inconsiderate cruisers.

Open balcony doors door make a difference to not only that cabin but cabins around them. Cruise might have been cooler in past years due to fewer balcony doors available to be left open by inconsiderate cruisers.

Especially a impacts the stateroom across the hall....if their balcony room is open, you can feel the draft as the vacuum created sucks the air.

Couldn't think of a better title for this thread but here goes. I've taken five cruises all on Carnival and probably booking the Breeze out of Miami that sails September 12, 2015. This would be cruise 6. I've been very satisfied with Carnival with the exception of the lack of cabin air conditioning on many of my past sailings. I didn't think of it till now but, has anyone ever submitted a doctor's note to Carnival when booking for special accomodations? I need to have a cabin temperature colder than what most consider normal. A room temperature where 72 degrees is the absolute highest. Due to medications and CPAP therapy I need the colder conditions. Interestingy enough when on company business (work) I've been accomodated by my company. (having hotel room to myself). What I'm getting at is by submitting this note if I get a too hot cabin would this doctor note submitted well in advance of my sailing enable me to move to another cabin if necessary. I'm not looking for comp upgrades. I usually book inside cabin. I just need this need met and would be willing to downgrade if necessary as long as I had a cabin that was cool enough.

When we travel, we have a very similar requirement/need. Almost every time, there are temperature and ventilation issues in the most recent 5 years on Carnival ships. Probably due to aging ships, and their insistence on cost savings to operate green.

And, they really can't do too much to assure about getting a cabin to a temperature and air flow that can/will be maintained below the Corporate policy acceptable operating range.

Our experiences with this on Carnival is that its a pretty consistent issue, that requires you to keep contacting guest services to have the team continue to reset the room ventilation systems when going in and out of each port.

I don't know if a doctor note to be used after booking and boarding will be of any real assistance for you to be changing rooms. Who knows if there will be any cabins set aside for you to choose from once on board, but I doubt it.

Couldn't think of a better title for this thread but here goes. I've taken five cruises all on Carnival and probably booking the Breeze out of Miami that sails September 12, 2015. This would be cruise 6. I've been very satisfied with Carnival with the exception of the lack of cabin air conditioning on many of my past sailings. I didn't think of it till now but, has anyone ever submitted a doctor's note to Carnival when booking for special accomodations? I need to have a cabin temperature colder than what most consider normal. A room temperature where 72 degrees is the absolute highest. Due to medications and CPAP therapy I need the colder conditions. Interestingy enough when on company business (work) I've been accomodated by my company. (having hotel room to myself). What I'm getting at is by submitting this note if I get a too hot cabin would this doctor note submitted well in advance of my sailing enable me to move to another cabin if necessary. I'm not looking for comp upgrades. I usually book inside cabin. I just need this need met and would be willing to downgrade if necessary as long as I had a cabin that was cool enough.

They sail full so switching rooms is highly problematic. If this is an absolute requirement, best not to sail. In fact, if you present a doctors note which states the patient must have a constant temperature, they'll probably cancel your cruise as they cannot guarantee it. What I would do is sit down with your physician and explain your vacation plans. It may be that sleeping in a room at 74 or 76 degrees for a few nights wouldn't have much impact. Best to talk to doc.

With all your requirements and necessities that are probably not going to be met and then you will have a lot of complaints, maybe you need to consider a vacation at an all inclusive place with a window air unit you can control.

They sail full so switching rooms is highly problematic. If this is an absolute requirement, best not to sail. In fact, if you present a doctors note which states the patient must have a constant temperature, they'll probably cancel your cruise as they cannot guarantee it. What I would do is sit down with your physician and explain your vacation plans. It may be that sleeping in a room at 74 or 76 degrees for a few nights wouldn't have much impact. Best to talk to doc.

I would tend to agree with this advice as the most reasonable and astute.

I'm not looking for comp upgrades. I usually book inside cabin. I just need this need met and would be willing to downgrade if necessary as long as I had a cabin that was cool enough.

One thing I'm curious about - if the OP usually books inside cabins and is willing to downgrade should the A/C be insufficient in their assigned cabin, what/where would a downgrade below an inside be?