1st post-refit Eclipse trip- our views and pics

kevinyork

Thanks for the update. The al baccio overflow area is a great idea. Let's hope the changes get settled to work out well.

I sailed Eclipse last October and they were using Bistro on Five as an overflow for Cafe al Bacio then in the morning hours.

I sailed Eclipse last October and they were using Bistro on Five as an overflow for Cafe al Bacio then in the morning hours.

At certain times of the year, particularly in poor weather, the cafe and ensemble lounge suffer from the same seat hogging as the area around the pools do in good weather. It can be impossible to get a seat for a coffee for all those who buy a coffee and sit for hours on the basis of that purchase. The same happens in Ocean view in that sort of weather. The overflow will only make a small difference.

It is a case of this is my seat and I am not moving

........... I would also add that as spaces from traditional early/late dining have been taken away, there was evidence of more pressure on Select dining with the use of buzzers when they couldn't accommodate people. We have never seen that previously and some waited up to 30 minutes. We didn't, presumably as we had pre-reserved times in Select. We noticed the sign at the Select entrances advises to queue one side if you don't have reservations and on the other side if you do OR if you are a suite guest. Given suite guests have access to Luminae and Blue I don't agree they should get priority in Select over regular Select passengers who enjoy the freedom of turning up when they prefer..........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did not experience too much additional queuing for Select Dining, but did find the new 2 way signs a problem, most passengers joined only the queue leading to the desk, which was marked for reservations or suite passengers, but if you went to the other, "empty" queue, you effectively managed to queue jump ahead of most of those already waiting. I commented on this to the little blonde at the desk, but she said this system made it easier for them, so thereafter I joined the shortest queue to make it easier for me. ;)

I assume the signage is for the benefit of suite guests to give them a feeling of advantage, if so maybe they should just have all select diners in the main line and suite in the other. Personally I have no problem with suite guests getting priority, if I was paying their prices I would also want special treatment.

Like Kevin we never needed a pager, however we made no reservations but were always happy to share.

Overall we found little change to Eclipse other than Kevin's highlighted changes, she is still our favourite ship and the food and service were still as good as before.

Great Pictures and great job describing the changes. Thank for your post.

Clarity on the World Class Bar Menu - If the menu is shorter than the Molecular Bar menu, are similar drinks made at the World Class Bar or are they standard cocktails? By chance did you take a picture of the menu of the drinks at the World Class Bar?

Great Pictures and great job describing the changes. Thank for your post.

Clarity on the World Class Bar Menu - If the menu is shorter than the Molecular Bar menu, are similar drinks made at the World Class Bar or are they standard cocktails? By chance did you take a picture of the menu of the drinks at the World Class Bar?

I dont have the menu unfortunately but it has been posted on here, I just cannot find the post. The drinks are less experimental than the Molecular Bar. Not standard cocktails but a twist on drinks you may enjoy.

Overall we found little change to Eclipse other than Kevin's highlighted changes, she is still our favourite ship and the food and service were still as good as before.

Still our favourite as well. We just need to pursuade DaiB on the P&O forums to try it so he has a comparison,

In the Passport Bar, did they actually remove the Bar and replace with tables and chairs?

No the Passport bar remained unchanged. Just that the Gastropub menus appeared on sea days. Some friends had lunch there and it took 50 minutes to arrive and had items missing.

Just to elaborate a bit on Gastropub. Yes it's $10 and yes it was fish and chips, but it was better than the buffet and the occasional MDR feature. It does take a while to get the food though because I guess they're making it up fresh. Worth it, especially with the beer selection.

World Class Bar was great, especially the 2 guys running it (sorry, forget their names). It is twists on classic cocktails (mainly), but works well.

Just to elaborate a bit on Gastropub. Yes it's $10 and yes it was fish and chips, but it was better than the buffet and the occasional MDR feature. It does take a while to get the food though because I guess they're making it up fresh. Worth it, especially with the beer selection.

I suspect that the food is prepared in a 'distant kitchen!'

• 1 month later...

I was on the Equinox in March 2015 & enjoyed several beers at the first Celebrity Gastrobar. The location in the former Cellar Masters was good. It opened late in the afternoon when we left port - not just sea days & was quite busy before & after the shows. The difference between the beer menu shown here & the one on the Equinox appears to be that they dropped the 3 drafts at the top + 2 of the Sam Adams in the middle & added 4 UK beers (500 ml size) at the bottom - probably because the homeport was Southampton. Everything else is the same (except the prices). I look forward to the beers that the Eclipse will be offering in the Gastrobar March 6/2016. Cheersch as in Grolsch.