Female Captain Announced

CruisingChick

Awesome, I'll be on the Summit August 23. Good chance she will be our captain!

It's all fine with me as long as she understands the unwritten departure policy of cruising north to the statue (or even the Intrepid) then turning around to head out to sea! :)

I'm also more surprised that Celebrity is promoting a non-Greek to the position of Master, than the fact that it's a woman, getting the job. Although it's sister line, RC, has Captains from many different countries (and, at least one is female), I've never seen any Master of the Chandris family's line who was not from Greece! :confused:

But, kudos to Captain McCue -- for breaking through all sorts of barriers! Look forward to cruising with her in the future! :cool:

It's all fine with me as long as she understands the unwritten departure policy of cruising north to the statue (or even the Intrepid) then turning around to head out to sea! :)

Let's hope that the current captain leaves her instructions!

Congratulations to Captain McCue. Captain Larson-Fedde from Norway served a Captain for Celebrity, but the others have been Greek. As I understand, the original merger agreement between Chandris and RCL mandated that there would be exclusively Greek Captain's for 10 years following the merger. I heard from a Captain that rhere has been a fairly recent change in US Martime Law that now allows US Captains to command foreign flagged passenger ships. Perhaps someone has more details.

Edited by Orator

I personally would not call it "progressive" in the year 2015 for an employer to appoint the first woman anything. I'd call it "long overdue."

Huge congratulations to Captain McCue!

If you read the press release, it's the first American female, not necessarily the first female overall. Does anyone know of other non-American female captains on cruise ships?

I'm sure she's well qualified and look forward to sailing with her, but this just seems more like a publicity thing given that Celebrity has a female CEO, and given that they put out a press release on it. When was the last time they put out a press release for a new male captain?

I have my Teflon underwear on and I'm ready for any flames that may come my way.

I'm also more surprised that Celebrity is promoting a non-Greek to the position of Master, than the fact that it's a woman, getting the job. Although it's sister line, RC, has Captains from many different countries (and, at least one is female), I've never seen any Master of the Chandris family's line who was not from Greece! :confused:

Master Gerry Larsson-Fedde - aka Capt. Gerry - was from Norway. He was wonderful!! We had him on our November, 2010 sailing to the South Caribbean on the Connie. Unfortunately, he left Celebrity a few years ago.

Oops - I see Orator already mentioned Capt. Gerry! Didn't mean to step on your post, Orator!

Edited by gimletgal

He started that on our June 21 sailing. It was a wonderful surprise. :D

I'm still wondering if Capt. Leo will still be on our sailing this fa all.

Anyone know if the schedule has changed?

While this is the first US female Captain of a major cruise ship, RCI named their first female Captain in 2007, P&O named theirs in 2010, RCI named their second in 2011, and Cunard had their first in 2011. NCL named the industry's first female Chief Engineer just this year.

It is not common for US licensed mariners to transfer their licenses to the flags of convenience used on the cruise ships, because the pay is significantly lower than on US ships. The maritime industry does not have a large female population, because of the rigors of shipboard life and the time required away from family. Those who do stay sailing tend to be "lifers", and they will seek employment opportunities that exist better in foreign shipping over US shipping.

If you read the press release, it's the first American female, not necessarily the first female overall. Does anyone know of other non-American female captains on cruise ships?

Yes, we were still RC cruisers when they promoted Captain Karin Stahre-Janson (from Sweden, if I recall correctly). Sadly for us, they moved Monarch from LA to FL, shortly after that -- so, we never got to cruise with Captain Karin. :(

Kate and grew up together and were best friends in middle school :) I've enjoyed watching her rise through the ranks at Royal Caribbean - and now Celebrity. So excited for her and her amazing accomplishment!

Time to book my next cruise!

But, kudos to Captain McCue -- for breaking through all sorts of barriers! Look forward to cruising with her in the future! :cool:

I applaud Celebrity for promoting a woman to Captain.

I'm with wwcruisers and that I'm surprised it's someone from NOT from Greece that they promoted. I don't exactly remember the terms of the sale (not a merger) between Chandris/OSG and RCI about how long that agreement regarding Greek Captains being the Masters aboard the Celebrity fleet, but I'm not surprised. (and yes it was a sale! I worked for OSG at that time and, heartbreakingly, Celebrity was sold to RCI)

As you can read above, there has been one Captain not from Greece. The agreement to have only Greek Captains had a time limit, and that has passed.

I never realized it was a condition of the sale. Learn something new every day.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk