Travel Insurance Question

Sherry H

Yes, I know......there have been many questions re: travel insurance.

Here's mine:

We have very good medical insurance that will cover us on our cruise and anywhere in the world.

We also have great medical evacuation insurance.

What I would like to do, is cover only the $12,000 cost of the cruise itself.

Has anyone found a company or a way to do this?

One big advantage of using HAL's CPP is that it's "cancel for any reason", while most 3rd party insurance requires an approved reason, such as serious illness or death of a traveler or an immediate family member. With HAL's you can simply change your mind about going.

Edited by jtl513

Do a dummy reservation for your cruise, choose the Platinum insurance and see what it adds to your cruise. Then go to any insurance place on the web (don't think we can say here) and check the cost of the insurance for your total base cruise price that includes all that you need and that the Platinum Insurance by HAL includes...we have found that the "cancel for any reason" clause alone makes it worthwhile and we have used it in the past when things just didn't work out to take the cruise we intended...but it would not have been covered had we just gotten "normal insurance."

Just make sure to read the fine print re: look backs, preexisting conditions, etc.

Do a dummy reservation for your cruise, choose the Platinum insurance and see what it adds to your cruise.
The OP said they don't want medical or evac coverage. The Standard CPP is cheaper, and only covers HAL's cancellation fees and some other miscellaneous costs.

Thanks jtl513.....you're correct......all replies are suggesting coverages that include much more than I want or need.

Perhaps I did not state myself clearly. I do not need anything but coverage for the cost of the cruise. Can't find any company that does that.

Sherry H,

I use insuremytrip dot com and purchase one of Global Alert's plans each time I cruise. I am not positive, but I believe the site may indeed have a plan to fit your needs. [Not sure this is relevant, but most airlines will allow you to insure the airfare. Some credit cards provide Travel Insurance for trips booked with the card, and while usually the amount is capped, it never hurts to ask].

Happy Travels!

Edited by syesmar

Do a dummy reservation for your cruise, choose the Platinum insurance and see what it adds to your cruise. Then go to any insurance place on the web (don't think we can say here) and check the cost of the insurance for your total base cruise price that includes all that you need and that the Platinum Insurance by HAL includes...we have found that the "cancel for any reason" clause alone makes it worthwhile and we have used it in the past when things just didn't work out to take the cruise we intended...but it would not have been covered had we just gotten "normal insurance."

Just make sure to read the fine print re: look backs, preexisting conditions, etc.

I bolded your statement only because there is no restriction about mentioning insurance companies or insurance WEB sites on Cruise Critic.. Only restriction is you can't mention Travel Agents or any site which sells cruises..

I agree compare HAL's insurance for the cruise as opposed as some of the companies which are on Insuremytrip.com

I'm not sure if you could only purchase trip insurance without the medical & Medical Evac. insurance, but you can call someone on Insuremytrip.com & ask them if it's possible to just insure the fare portion of the trip..

Hope you find what you are looking for..

Edited by serendipity1499

I do not need anything but coverage for the cost of the cruise. Can't find any company that does that.
That's exactly what HAL Standard CPP does. It refunds 80% of any money you've paid HAL excluding the premium charge. It even covers air fare if you book that through HAL.

From the link Scrapnana gave you:

CPP Standard Plan – Provided by Holland America Line

Our Standard Cancellation Protection Plan (CPP Standard Plan) will allow you, for any reason, to provide written cancellation up to 24 hours prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive a refund equal to 80% of the eligible amounts paid. CPP Standard is available to all guests, regardless of residency.

Of course before final payment day you don't need any insurance - you always get 100% back.

Whenever we see anyone giving support to HAL's own travel insurance we feel obligated to comment. The HAL policy is fine if you only are seeking trip cancellation or a very small medical policy. But for those that do not have decent medical insurance that will cover them outside the USA (and this would include most with Medicare) the HAL policy is horribly lacking! The medical limits are simply much too low by today's standards. Anyone needing medical coverage should consider $100,000 as the bare minimum with higher limits ($250,000 +) as a goal. To get this kind of coverage means looking at policies issued by private companies (not cruise lines).

There are numerous web sites that allow prospective clients to compare policies offered by various companies. Two example are insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com (and there are others).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Whenever we see anyone giving support to HAL's own travel insurance we feel obligated to comment. The HAL policy is fine if you only are seeking trip cancellation or a very small medical policy. But for those that do not have decent medical insurance that will cover them outside the USA (and this would include most with Medicare) the HAL policy is horribly lacking! The medical limits are simply much too low by today's standards. Anyone needing medical coverage should consider $100,000 as the bare minimum with higher limits ($250,000 +) as a goal. To get this kind of coverage means looking at policies issued by private companies (not cruise lines).

There are numerous web sites that allow prospective clients to compare policies offered by various companies. Two example are insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com (and there are others).

Hank

That point has been made many, many times so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. This is not a medical plan. I like it because it's cancel for any reason. I don't pretend it's medical.

...But for those that do not have decent medical insurance that will cover them outside the USA (and this would include most with Medicare) the HAL policy is horribly lacking! The medical limits are simply much too low by today's standards. Anyone needing medical coverage should consider $100,000 as the bare minimum with higher limits ($250,000 +) as a goal...

Hank

Hi Hank,

Could you please give any kind of reasonable example where one might need $250,000 in medical (as opposed to evacuation) insurance.

Thanks a lot.

Scott & Karen

There are many horror stories of people stricken with sudden illness or injured too horribly for transport who have faced these levels of costs. Many people travel without insurance mistakenly believing their medical plans will cover them when in fact they do not. Even for us in BC the extent of our foreign coverage is really limited if we are travelling. A cancellation policy is very worthwhile if there is some risk your health or work can change your plans. My visa covers unexpected health but not pre-existing health. My awesome travel covers medical incidents abroad, but not before I leave. So cancellation insurance fills the void if you need it.

Ok, I just popped into Google and came across a British article on the cost of ski/snowboard related injuries for uninsured Brits. If you break a leg in the U.S., it's about $40,000. An arm is $60,000. The highest claim paid by one insurance company was for treatment and repatriation after a head injury. $280,000 CAD!

So........HAL standard plan will cost me $930 to insure my $12,000.

If I cancel, I will receive back $9,600. Seems really expensive for the return.

Have no air fare to recoup and credit card only protects $2,500.

Going to make some calls. I was just hoping someone had already dealt with this and found a good solution.

We purchased trip insurance through our home/auto insurance company who have a contract with Travel Insured International. Paid about $500 for $10,000 coverage. Had to cancel at the last minute due to a parent's illness. Just got the check today for the full cost of the cruise. It took time and paperwork but it paid off. That was the best $500 we've ever spent.

We chose to use HAL Platinum protection for travel insurance because of their NO pre-existing condition clause.

It has been pointed out this cancellation policy only provides $10,000 in medical. The OP does not require medical but perhaps you may. I'd rather point this out to you and be told you have medical coverage than to say nothing and learn you had some incident that was not covered past $10,000 for medical.

So........HAL standard plan will cost me $930 to insure my $12,000.

If I cancel, I will receive back $9,600. Seems really expensive for the return.

Have no air fare to recoup and credit card only protects $2,500.

Going to make some calls. I was just hoping someone had already dealt with this and found a good solution.

That is a gripe I have with HAL's cancellation protection. They make you pay premium on more than you could ever recover if you make a claim. Why do you pay for $12,000 coverage but would only collect $9,600 if you have a claim? Yes, I know the answer but don't like it. ;)

As far as the credit card insurance, doublecheck with your specific situation, but I have used it as secondary coverage in the past. I'll take into account the cap and then buy insurance to fill the gap (eg, if the credit card covered $2,500 I would insure a $12,000 trip for $9,500). If ever needed, I would use my travel insurance first, then turn to the credit card's coverage for what remained. I realize each person has to make sure that fits their situation/policy with the fine print.

After reading this thread, I looked over what my own cards offer and was pleasantly surprised that one offers significantly more--double--coverage than before, and does so now on a per person, rather than per trip, basis.

All the best!

Edited by syesmar

As far as the credit card insurance, doublecheck with your specific situation, but I have used it as secondary coverage in the past. I'll take into account the cap and then buy insurance to fill the gap (eg, if the credit card covered $2,500 I would insure a $12,000 trip for $9,500). If ever needed, I would use my travel insurance first, then turn to the credit card's coverage for what remained. I realize each person has to make sure that fits their situation/policy with the fine print.

After reading this thread, I looked over what my own cards offer and was pleasantly surprised that one offers significantly more--double--coverage than before, and does so now on a per person, rather than per trip, basis.

All the best!

I've heard others say they have done the same thing.. Apparently if your primary travel insurance pays first the Credit Card insurance should cover the balance..

Hi Hank,

Could you please give any kind of reasonable example where one might need $250,000 in medical (as opposed to evacuation) insurance.

Thanks a lot.

Scott & Karen

Granted that $250,000 is the exception although keep in mind that in many policies this might be the total for all covered under the policy. But $100,000 plus is really not very unusual these days. Consider that you will usually have to pay "charges" which are always much more then negotiated rates. As to costly just think about an acute MI (heart attack) with complications (the cost of the critical care can easily exceed $10,000 per day), a major stroke, or perhaps a rupturing Aortic Aneurysm. These things do happen (especially to older folks) and they often seem to happen at the worst times.

Even a fall that results in a hip fracture (not uncommon) can cost $30 - $40,000 to be treated. And I mentioned these examples since we have been on cruises where all have occurred (to others).

And here is a little factoid. In the USA, the leading cause of personal bankruptcy is medical bills! Many of these folks thought they had decent insurance!

And one personal near silly example. A few years ago I fainted (twice at a party). This resulted in Paramedics taking me to a fine local hospital. 3 day and $18,000 later I was discharged having received no major treatment (other then IVs ) but having undergone a battery of tests to determine the cause of the fainting. It turned out that after ruling out the usual heart attack, brain bleeds, etc. that the cause was likely a simple drug reaction to a blood pressure drug I had been taking for several years. Now you might want to consider that an awful lot of folks take medications and my particular BP drug is a very common item. But that simple drug reaction (which can happen anywhere including on a ship) resulted in lots of tests to rule out other more serious issues.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner