Cunard dress code

cruiser69420

Pretty much yes. Did you bring a sport coat? That's really all you need to complete the code. No one is really going to take notice, if you have a sport coat. They are found pretty much everywhere & can be quite inexpensive. Add a tie & you'll be fine. I know you said you're kind of "cashed" out. Easy to do when touring, still a sport coat can be had pretty cheaply.

Thank you all for the help and advice, this is what I wanted to hear.

Could someone post a picture of this 'coat' I should be buying and/or will I look stupid with a black collared golf shirt underneath?

Can anyone recommend some stores to check out in Southampton, thrift or not where I can try to scrounge some last minute stuff? I'll also need shoes as I don't think I can get away with wearing runners with my attire.

Can anyone recommend some stores to check out in Southampton, thrift or not where I can try to scrounge some last minute stuff? I'll also need shoes as I don't think I can get away with wearing runners with my attire.
When in Southampton head for the West Quay shopping centre.

Then find "Marks and Spencer" or "John Lewis" (the two biggest stores in the centre). They will have jackets, trousers, shirts and shoes.

Alternatively, right outside of West Quay's main entrance, there are many shops and stores in Southampton city centre, have a short wander about.

Once on board you'll relax and enjoy the only civilised way to cross the ocean! Have a great crossing :)

Thank you Yoshikitty :o , very kind of you, much appreciated :o . Sincere best wishes and many happy sailings :)

Thank you!

Best wishes to you as well.

We've just finished our 5th TA crossing and still remember how I came here before our first. :)

cruiser69420,

I dont think that anyone here is being deliberately disrespectful or lacks understanding. We are just surprised that someone has clearly reached adult age and apparently not encountered a situation where he had to wear a suit (you've really NEVER been to a wedding / funeral / christening / graduation / nice restaurant / job interview / court ?) We are even more surprised that this person has then booked with a cruise line that is famous for its strict dress code. :eek:

This is not just a Cunard thing either, many other lines enforce a dress code after 6pm, P&O for one.

Canadians generally do not have an aversion to dressing in a traditional manner when the occasion calls for it. Admittedly, when on board Cunard ships, I have heard more moaning about the dress code from Canadians and Americans than I have from British or German passengers. Cunard has dumbed down the dress code since the withdrawal of the QE2. Jackets and ties were required every night in the dining rooms, so there shouldn't be as much to moan about now.

The OP should be warned that there is a "class system" basically for dining on Cunard. Being a first-timer, there is a chance of an upgrade to Princess Grill. The OP should be warned that in Princess and Queen's Grills most men will wear a tie even on informal nights, although it is not required. From my experience, on the formal nights at least 95% of men will be dressed in dinner jackets (tuxedos) and the women will be dressed in a complementary manner. If the thought of this much formality displeases you, I recommend you have your file marked "no upgrade."

As for being poor, I was raised in Toronto in a time when most people were poor. What is considered poor today is a far cry from being poor then. As poor as we were, my father, brother and I always had a blazer and tie to wear on occasions such as church and even going downtown for shopping.

One last comment re walking around the ship: I found that the dress code was not enforced strictly other than in the dining rooms. One formal night we attended one of the "big shows" in the Royal Court Theatre. One elderly man entered wearing what appeared to be pyjamas and a Holland America baseball cap. that is one more reason why I normally avoid these big shows:).

I'm going to go about my business and if someone wants to be rude so be it, I'm not going to sink to their level. If they want to be rude to two individuals who can't afford dresswear then so

be it.

We were raised to not comment or make fun of the unfortunate kids at school who couldn't afford clothes ( I was one of those kids ).

Coming a tad late to he curflufal, I am a bit confused. You state that to date in your life span you have not ever had to own a suit/tie or pair of long sleeved shirts. Ok a bit entitled but ok. What I find difficult to understand is if you can afford the $1,000 plus per passage assuming you have an inside cabin why can you not also find an additional $50 for a consignment shop jacket shirt etc. Designer attire is not required only attire that is fitting for this particular ship and yes it (actually all three Cunard ships) is different from those ships where one could do a full world cruise with nothing more than a gym bag's worth of clothing. By the way you do know that all adult beverages come at a cost plus 15% service charge.

My suggestion is to scrape together the best you can and leave one thing you seem to have way to much of - Attitude and you will have a great crossing. Bring all of the attitude on board and it will be a very long 7 days.

To the person who said that I am stupid... I am not stupid, why the hell would I bring anything other than shorts and t-shirts to Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, UK and France for the summer months.. Being from Canada I've yet to wear my one long sleeve shirt in the last 3months.

I served in the Navy for 4 years and we had less strict dress codes than Cunard, I just find it funny that if you dont abide by the dress code youre stuck in your stateroom.

£39 is almost $70+ Canadian, can't justify paying that(yes we're that broke).

Until we go back to our normal 9-5 working life we are minimalist.

It's sad to see how many people who've against indivuals who exhausted their savings.

Just because you're cruising doesn't mean you have tons of money.

When I first booked the cruise we just thought it would be nice to cruise back via a transatlantic. The cruise was a tad bit more expensive than a flight home at the time so we opted for the cruise.

Yes we didn't budget our trip properly, we overindulged in Spain and Portugal with all the delicious Tapas and sight seeing and such.

I just wanted to enjoy our trip back home and I find it silly that Cunard doesn't offer free suit rentals for whom who can't afford it, they just have the presumption, and so do you guys, that ever cruiser has money.

I'm just trying to enjoy the cruise just as much as you are, sorry if I can't dress up and it offends you.

"It's sad to see how many people who've against indivuals who exhausted their savings".

Living within one's means springs to mind. It looks as though you may have caught the Greek disease.

As a Carnival shareholder I'd be rather boot if they took on the additional responsibility of clothing those who cannot be bothered.

We are, after all,Cunard.

10191068676_d635217a99_z.jpg

I'm still not convinced this isn't a wind up.

I'm still not convinced this isn't a wind up.

Hi Richard

I'm with you on that one!

Talk about spoiling the ship for a ha'pworth of tar!!!!

The facts as we've been told:

The individual has been trekking around Europe for some considerable time.

He has a companion.

He is ex Navy.

Being ex-Navy, means he is familiar of not only traditions, but sea going traditions.

He posses no Mess Kit apparently.

He abhors dressing properly at any time (in the Navy?)

He is prepared to pay hundreds, if not thousands of CAD for the trip.

He wants someone to lend him an old jacket because he's run out of money and can't afford to buy a cheap Matalan one.

He has no credit card, but Cunard insist on one or a hefty deposit!!!

At first he was slating us all for playing "dressing up games".

No, Richard, this is definitely a wind up.

Right sunshine, time to come clean!

Stewart

Hi Richard

He has a companion.

He is ex Navy.

Being ex-Navy, means he is familiar of not only traditions, but sea going traditions.

He wants someone to lend him an old jacket because he's run out of money and can't afford to buy a cheap Matalan one.

Stewart

I'm waiting for the companion thread that will no doubt complain about auto gratuities.:D

You'll also note that at no time has he signed his name.

Anyone know his cabin No? Probably QG.

That is hardly evidence of anything, very few posters use their real names or share their cabin numbers!

Hi Richard

He has a companion.

He is ex Navy.

Stewart

Stewart, I luv it.

Hi Richard

Stewart

To focus on just one of your numerous valid points: do you suppose he might have ignored the requirement of putting up a deposit for shipboard expenditures (including gratuities) in the same fashion as he let the dress code thing slip by him?

He is, apparently, thinking of showing up with just a bit of pocket change left over.

Hi Richard

He has a companion.

He is ex Navy.

Stewart

I've read these threads quite carefully but I must have missed this comment - can you tell us which post it came from ?

Thanks

Edited by Host Hattie

I've read these threads quite carefully but I must have missed this comment - can you tell us which post it came from ?

Thanks

The OP didn't specifically say he had no credit card but inferred that in post #1 when mentioning that he was so broke he couldn't afford ₤39 for rental. And in post #18 he mentions 3 months touring Europe. One can only speculate what a "broke" person will do about gratuities and on board spending.:rolleyes: