New A La Carte Specialty Dining

Dr. Cocktail

Don't know who that is, the segment I'm referring to had a guy named Stuart something talking, and they were discussing the new a la carte announcement.

I just heard the podcast the other day.

Stewart is Stewart Chiron, who is a fairly regular guest on Cruise Radio. (He is aka the Cruise Guy, who appears on such shows as Good Morning America, and is supposedly a cruise industry expert). He and the host Doug Parker were discussing the issue, and took a very negative approach to the a la carte policy, something which surprised me as they had little to no problems with the new room service fees and the initial ban on "taking food from the buffet".

I just heard the podcast the other day.

Stewart is Stewart Chiron, who is a fairly regular guest on Cruise Radio. (He is aka the Cruise Guy, who appears on such shows as Good Morning America, and is supposedly a cruise industry expert). He and the host Doug Parker were discussing the issue, and took a very negative approach to the a la carte policy, something which surprised me as they had little to no problems with the new room service fees and the initial ban on "taking food from the buffet".

Yes, that's why I originally brought up the podcast. I'm a new cruiser (~6 months) but I've listened to many episodes of this podcast and it's clear they are very much industry cheerleaders (very rarely will you hear a call in guest say anything negative in their cruise review, either). Which is fine. But it surprised me (and I think is significant) that they thought a la carte was crazy and had no qualms saying so.

That said, "Doug" seems to be all about RCCL, but as you say they were fine with NCL's changes earlier this year.

Thanks for clarifying the names.

Yes, that's why I originally brought up the podcast. I'm a new cruiser (~6 months) but I've listened to many episodes of this podcast and it's clear they are very much industry cheerleaders (very rarely will you hear a call in guest say anything negative in their cruise review, either). Which is fine. But it surprised me (and I think is significant) that they thought a la carte was crazy and had no qualms saying so.

That said, "Doug" seems to be all about RCCL, but as you say they were fine with NCL's changes earlier this year.

Thanks for clarifying the names.

Not a problem. I've listened to the show for about a year now, so I know what you mean regarding their broadcasts and the opinions they express. Like you I was VERY surprised this time out.

Not a problem. I've listened to the show for about a year now, so I know what you mean regarding their broadcasts and the opinions they express. Like you I was VERY surprised this time out.

I felt like their slant was more psychological than anything, meaning it's not so much about the bottom line, but that taking away any semblance of all-inclusive ruins the magic for many cruisers. Or put more simply, no one on a cruise wants to worry about how much they're spending on each COURSE of a meal, and that it may be the step too far.

I am wondering if dessert and sides are included with the order of the entree, since there is no mention of pricing for these items. If that is the case, it would eliminate some of the concerns around people bouncing from restaurant to restaurant for dinner.

We always done la bistro and the main reason for me was mushroom soup. I wonder if now I can just get that and then go to the main dinning room later. I wonder if they allow to go with la carte pricing

I have a Med cruise in a Haven suite on hold currently and I'm trying to understand what these changes mean for us. UDP is included in our booking.

Some in this thread are saying they're glad they have the UDP because this change won't affect them. According to the NCL web site http://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

Q. WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE?

A. With the Ultimate Dining Package, you can dine in any specialty restaurant every night of your cruise, including our exciting Italian, Asian, Brazilian, French and signature steakhouse restaurants. Plus, you can enjoy 25% off the cover charge for dinner at Ocean Blue and all a la carte priced restaurants (not included in Ultimate Dining Package).

That last sentence makes it sound like having the UDP doesn't mean you're exempt from the a la carte pricing but instead you merely get a discounted rate off the cover charge. Does that mean they charge a cover and then also a la pricing?

I'm so confused. I just want to pay one price and enjoy my cruise.

I have a Med cruise in a Haven suite on hold currently and I'm trying to understand what these changes mean for us. UDP is included in our booking.

Some in this thread are saying they're glad they have the UDP because this change won't affect them. According to the NCL web site http://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

Q. WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE?

A. With the Ultimate Dining Package, you can dine in any specialty restaurant every night of your cruise, including our exciting Italian, Asian, Brazilian, French and signature steakhouse restaurants. Plus, you can enjoy 25% off the cover charge for dinner at Ocean Blue and all a la carte priced restaurants (not included in Ultimate Dining Package).

That last sentence makes it sound like having the UDP doesn't mean you're exempt from the a la carte pricing but instead you merely get a discounted rate off the cover charge. Does that mean they charge a cover and then also a la pricing?

If you have the UDP or the SDP you don't even have to worry about the a la carte.

Harriet

Something NCL wrote is confusing? Now there's a shocker!

My understanding of the new policy is that if you have UDP/SDP you will be able to go to the five signature restaurants that at present have cover charges of $15 to $30, and it will be just as if you were cruising today and paid those covers (or used UDP/SDP to do so). But the new policy will only go into effect fleet-wide in January 2016 -- plenty of time for NCL to change things up. Given the issues discussed on the "unintended consequences of going a la carte" thread, changes or addendums to what NCL has published about the new policy seem likely.

Edited by Cruise4Real

If you have the UDP or the SDP you don't even have to worry about the a la carte.

Harriet

Harriet, isn't it just the three new ones (Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina) that you are not charged the a la carte pricing if you have the UDP and those, like Ocean Blue (those that were a la carte prior to the change) and the new Bayamo are still a la carte pricing with a discount.

This is what NCL said: Anyone who purchases a Norwegian specialty dining package can enjoy meals at La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagney's at no additional charge

Edited by NLH Arizona

Harriet, isn't it just the three new ones (Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina) that you are not charged the a la carte pricing if you have the UDP and those, like Ocean Blue (those that were a la carte prior to the change) and the new Bayamo are still a la carte pricing.

This is what NCL said: Anyone who purchases a Norwegian specialty dining package can enjoy meals at La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagney's at no additional charge

The reason NCL said 'La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagney's is because those three will be going a la carte...but they are saying if you have the UDP or SDP you can still go there under without it being a la carte. They didn't mention Teppanyaki or Moderno since they are remaining as is and not converting to a la carte.

Those that are naturally a la carte and I believe the dinner show you will get a discount....I'm not sure if it is 20% or 25% off. However, I believe come January 1st, there's just an upcharge for them.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

The reason NCL said 'La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagney's is because those three will be going a la carte...but they are saying if you have the UDP or SDP you can still go there under without it being a la carte. They didn't mention Teppanyaki or Moderno since they are remaining as is and not converting to a la carte.

Those that are naturally a la carte and I believe the dinner show you will get a discount....I'm not sure if it is 20% or 25% off. However, I believe come January 1st, there's just an upcharge for them.

Harriet

Yes, I understand that, but the poster posted the terms and was confused about the last sentence with included the other a la carte restaurants, i.e. Ocean Blue. I didn't want her to think that she could use her UDP at a the a la carte restaurants other than getting a discount, since you said If you have the UDP or the SDP you don't even have to worry about the a la carte.

I didn't want her to think that she could use her UDP at a the a la carte restaurants other than getting a discount, since you said If you have the UDP or the SDP you don't even have to worry about the a la carte.

Oh, okay, I understand what you're saying. And you're correct. However, I was talking about come January 1st when those three restaurants become a la carte.

The restaurants that are now 'a la carte' are still 'a la carte' with the UDP except, as you say, there's a discount.

Harriet

Geeze...I go away for a few days and come back to yet more NCL changes:eek: I booked in March for May 2016...part of package was UDP...I assume there is a good chance that when I cruise..I will not be dining "free" at all the specialties on the Gem ???? :confused:

Geeze...I go away for a few days and come back to yet more NCL changes:eek: I booked in March for May 2016...part of package was UDP...I assume there is a good chance that when I cruise..I will not be dining "free" at all the specialties on the Gem ???? :confused:

Wrong! Isn't it nice to hear that? LOL They're honoring those that have the UDP so you'll have the same specialty restaurants available to you on the Gem in May as you did on our June cruise!

Harriet

Wrong! Isn't it nice to hear that? LOL They're honoring those that have the UDP so you'll have the same specialty restaurants available to you on the Gem in May as you did on our June cruise!

Harriet

:D I am happy....;) (BUT...knowing NCL..I will have to keep abreast of any changes ...you never know anymore :rolleyes:)

I love the idea of a la carte dining. Rather than pay a set price for some things I don't wish to eat -I can choose exactly what I want & how much of it I want.

Not understanding this first comment. Why would you pay any price, fixed or otherwise, for anything you don't wish to eat? There's a menu - pick what you do want to eat, not what you don't want to eat. If there's nothing on the menu you like, choose a different restaurant. That can be done regardless of how the menu is priced. If you feel like with set pricing you're paying for things you don't want to eat, you must be ordering the wrong items, or going to the wrong restaurants. Whether priced a-la-carte or not, you've always had the choice of what you want and how much you want, just choose wisely from the menu.

Edited by Sandman799

So Moderno.....This will work how? 2.95 a slice of meat, they keep a tally

One of the best things about cruising is trying new things and not worrying about the cost if you don't like it.

This is the best comment I have seen. It is clearly designed to get the cash and I suspect there will be resistance to the idea.

Now lets see One must suspect that the cruise fare revenue is under pressure and the idea is designed to offset this along with the other great ideas such as two increases in the service charge in 5 months.

It is going to fail badly in Europe as these cruises also have VAT ( Sales Tax) added so wow this is going to be expensive.

I am not qualified or in the know to say but they must have researched this and modelled it financially to believe it will work. As I always tell my friends only time will tell!!! However it is my thought that it will not work but if folk go there and pay they will prove us wrong. Lets see :rolleyes:

It is going to fail badly in Europe as these cruises also have VAT ( Sales Tax) added so wow this is going to be expensive.

Only few European itineraries have VAT added during the whole cruise, there are more that do not than ones that do.

Maybe i missed this, but does this change only affect the vessels mentioned or is it going fleetwide? If so, when?

"In addition to Norwegian Escape's specialty restaurants, Ocean Blue on Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway will also begin offering à la carte options on October 3, 2015, and the new à la carte dining will be available fleetwide beginning January 1, 2016."

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_071415

So Escape will be a la carte from the beginning, Ocean Blue on Breakaway class ships also from October and all other mentioned speciality restaurant fleetwide from Jan 1, 2016.

Maybe i missed this, but does this change only affect the vessels mentioned or is it going fleetwide? If so, when?

For the Breakaway-class ships it starts in October whenever the Escape starts sailing. The rest of fleet gets it next year in the 1st week in January.

Edit - Demonyte gave the exact dates.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

Sorry to ask a question that has already been answered. I just found what i overlooked. We have a cruise booked on the Pride of America in June, 2016. We were going to have dinner in Jefferson's Bistro one night to celebrate our anniversary. Now I'm thinking it might be better to just have a nice dinner in port to celebrate instead. I'm not sure the specialty restaurants will be worth the added price. Any suggestions? Is Le Bistro really that good? We've never tried it before.