New A La Carte Specialty Dining

Dr. Cocktail

The industry continues to change and evolve. I daresay that in 20 years, we will be talking about the "golden age" of cruising.

NCL continues to test the waters and see what the market will bear. Not surprising in a free market.

You can count me out though. I can go to the "a la carte" restaurants at home.

Edited by logan25

This can get tricky with reservations. Now, people will be able to go to the restaurant and order only a salad, or dessert. I love Cagney's cheesecake, but don't always want to have a long sit down meal. Now, I can see people bouncing from restaurant to restaurant for their dinner. People may save money by not buying the UDP and just paying for what they want to eat.

I am wondering if dessert and sides are included with the order of the entree, since there is no mention of pricing for these items. If that is the case, it would eliminate some of the concerns around people bouncing from restaurant to restaurant for dinner.

I am wondering if dessert and sides are included with the order of the entree, since there is no mention of pricing for these items. If that is the case, it would eliminate some of the concerns around people bouncing from restaurant to restaurant for dinner.

I think that one side might be included with your entree, but I don't see how NCL will be giving out desserts for free. We have to wait and see. As always, the NCL PR departments is doing an awful job announcing changes.

Thank you. Yours is a much better story.

"Beginning in October with the debut of its largest ship, Norwegian Escape, the menus for La Cucina, Le Bistro, Cagney's Steakhouse and Bayamo, a new restaurant from Chef Jose Garces, will be priced a la carte. Moderno Churrascaria and Teppanyaki will retain their cover charges -- $19.95 and $29.95, respectively -- as will entertainment dining such as "Wine Lovers the Musical" and "For The Record: The Brat Pack."

The line plans to roll out a la carte dining fleetwide on January 1, 2016, with the exception of entertainment dining like Cirque Dreams & Dinner or The Illusionarium. Ocean Blue on Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway will switch to a la carte pricing in October, as well.

Starters at Cagney's, Norwegian's signature steakhouse, will range from $4.99 to $7.95 and main courses from $17.99 to $29.99. New menu additions at French restaurant Le Bistro will include bouillabaisse and pan-seared jumbo bay scallops, starting at $15.99 each. Italian venue La Cucina will offer main dishes like osso bucco alla Milanese or pan-seared sea bass filet at $12.99 each.

Anyone who purchases a Norwegian specialty dining package can enjoy meals at La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagney's at no additional charge, but Bayamo by Jose Garces still carries a $15 fee.

The main dining rooms, the buffet, O'Sheehan's and all of the Asian venues except Teppanyaki and Wasabi will remain complimentary."

Edited by LrgPizza

Thank you. Yours is a much better story.

Starters at Cagney's, Norwegian's signature steakhouse, will range from $4.99 to $7.95 and main courses from $17.99 to $29.99. "

So an entree at Cagney's can be up to $29.99 now. The current cost of Cagney's is now $30. How are they going to improve the menu? I really don't see anyone paying $29.99 for an entree at Cagney's when you pay the same at any restaurant.

Just the last few months. Maybe March or April?

WOW!!!. I don't know how i missed that, busy on other forums i guess :o.

So between my last cruise on Ncl and my next cruise (1 year) dinner at cagneys has gone from $60 for 2 to somewhere between $80 and $100!!!!!!!

I was literally going to change today to the specialty dining credit ($100 for an inside cabin). That would have been good for about 4 meals at the old rate, but more like 2-3 meals with the a la carte pricing :( I'm so glad I heard about this on CC.

I would doubt that desserts would be included in the entrée price.

this is from the post from the TA ...

"Whether guests wish to have a light meal of a favorite appetizer and soup or salad, or indulge in a multi-course dinner featuring Maine lobster, with Norwegian’s new à la carte options, guests will now have the opportunity to create their desired dining experience, just as they would at any land-based restaurant."

If I wanted it to be like a land-based vacation, I would take a land-based vacation....This is absurd...we are not taking a land-based vacation, we are taking a cruise...My DD and I will be platinum after this cruise and we are more than likely going to try a different line...too many changes to fast...I cant understand why they are making all of these changes at one time...all they are doing is driving loyal people to other lines...:(...I don't want to leave Norwegian, but I don't know how many more changes they are going to make for the worse and Im not going to sit around and wait to see...Im just glad my next cruise is in Dec before it goes fleet wide...

Mr Sheehan, where are you???

I'm going to say I was half right on saying a la carte dining was not coming to Cagney's since its going everywhere! :p

IMO this change has more pros than cons:

1. It might make places cheaper for people. I usually don't eat an appetizer in places when I eat. Not getting a salad or something like that will not effect my dining experience. Also depending on what the menu item I want is just getting a main course and maybe a dessert might be cheaper than what the cover charge would be.

2. The SDP/UDP is still good for full meals. So if you want to eat a full 3 course meal and not worry about the pricing just get one of the packages.

3. The change will facilitate for potential "take out". If NCL is smart they will make it so you can call in orders and pick them up yourself with out a room service charge or gratuity. That way people can call in an appetizer, main course, or dessert then pick it up when its ready. The order placement and pick up could even work with iConciege.

Hopefully they will provide the menus and pricing on-line so that people like me can look and make decisions about dining packages and other factors.

I'm going to say I was half right on saying a la carte dining was not coming to Cagney's since its going everywhere! :p

IMO this change has more pros than cons:

1. It might make places cheaper for people. I usually don't eat an appetizer in places when I eat. Not getting a salad or something like that will not effect my dining experience. Also depending on what the menu item I want is just getting a main course and maybe a dessert might be cheaper than what the cover charge would be.

2. The SDP/UDP is still good for full meals. So if you want to eat a full 3 course meal and not worry about the pricing just get one of the packages.

3. The change will facilitate for potential "take out". If NCL is smart they will make it so you can call in orders and pick them up yourself with out a room service charge or gratuity. That way people can call in an appetizer, main course, or dessert then pick it up when its ready. The order placement and pick up could even work with iConciege.

Hopefully they will provide the menus and pricing on-line so that people like me can look and make decisions about dining packages and other factors.

I agree with you on 1 and 2, but not on 3. The one thing NCL can't do is overwhelm the kitchens, so that it deteriorates the dining experience of those that choose to dine in the restaurant.

this is from the post from the TA ...

"Whether guests wish to have a light meal of a favorite appetizer and soup or salad, or indulge in a multi-course dinner featuring Maine lobster, with Norwegian’s new à la carte options, guests will now have the opportunity to create their desired dining experience, just as they would at any land-based restaurant."

If I wanted it to be like a land-based vacation, I would take a land-based vacation....This is absurd...we are not taking a land-based vacation, we are taking a cruise.....

I agree with you. When I cruise, I'm not trying to re-create what I can do on land.

I think that language is all PR spin anyway, designed to make it sound like NCL is doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. Le Bistro and Cagney's are supposed to be fine dining experiences, not the sort of places where you just pop in for soup. I get that some people may like to be able to have just a single dish, but I would bet that the vast majority of people who eat at those venues do so because they want a complete dinner. And I bet that when you price it all out, that dinner will cost more a la carte than the cover charge.

I agree with you. When I cruise, I'm not trying to re-create what I can do on land.

I think that language is all PR spin anyway, designed to make it sound like NCL is doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. Le Bistro and Cagney's are supposed to be fine dining experiences, not the sort of places where you just pop in for soup. I get that some people may like to be able to have just a single dish, but I would bet that the vast majority of people who eat at those venues do so because they want a complete dinner. And I bet that when you price it all out, that dinner will cost more a la carte than the cover charge.

Totally agree with you. The only way to save with the new A La Carte menu will be to get two appetizers and two desserts and share the entree, but I am sure that NCL will charge you extra if you decide to share an entree.

So an entree at Cagney's can be up to $29.99 now. The current cost of Cagney's is now $30. How are they going to improve the menu? I really don't see anyone paying $29.99 for an entree at Cagney's when you pay the same at any restaurant.

yup, $29 for an entrée is mind blowing when it's $29 now for everything! :(

it's basically a price increase.

just like the 18% tipping on udp/ubp now charged to you where as before NCL included it in the price.

More nickel and diming, and maximizing shareholder value at the expense of us customers.

Edited by fstuff1

So my family of four used to eat for about $100 at cagneys. Now we're looking at no less than $150. Not happening here. If I can't share my steak with my kids I won't be paying a LA carte pricing.

I agree 100%

I think psycologically it takes away from the experience. Once you decide to go your over the cost of it and are free to just enjoy it and not care about ordering anything. Now you will have to think about what you should order and if it fits in the budget. Not very freestyle and more Feestyle

fstuff1 said, "More nickel and diming, and maximizing shareholder value at the expense of us customers."

Isn't the underlined portion of that sentence basically what capitalism is? I mean, I don't necessarily like it, but that is how business is generally conducted.

--Michael

Edited by numberguy
punctuation