New A La Carte Specialty Dining

Dr. Cocktail

I shall not dine a la carte ever. I love NCL, 17 cruises worth. But I'm slowly loving them less. I don't go on a cruise to buy my food a la carte. We have two more cruises booked. I'll see how it goes on those two. And then might consider other options. These little things, changes, are adding up to considerable anxiety for me....not at all what you are looking for when you think cruise.

Edited by roger001

So the obvious solution would be to cut back on the portion size. Oh wait. That didn't happen. I wonder why?

No, there is no way the kitchen could make smaller portions for kids. One price for all, adults and kids (since portion is exactly the same) or kids order from kids menu. This new a la carte, even though I'm not a fan of it.....does actually work well with parents who bring their kids to a specialty restaurant.

Harriet

No, there is no way the kitchen could make smaller portions for kids. One price for all, adults and kids (since portion is exactly the same) or kids order from kids menu. This new a la carte, even though I'm not a fan of it.....does actually work well with parents who bring their kids to a specialty restaurant.

Harriet

Can you expand on your thought as to 'works well'?

The only thing I can think of is you eliminate ordering half of the meal, the a la carte cost for a child is less than today's cover charge (but probably not by half). On the flip side, if your child orders as much as they would have gotten via the cover charge, it costs a lot more.

I guess is you have a very young child and you just feed them a single appetizer it costs less, but that's hardly a meal.

I think it is more correct to say that in some situations there is a potential for a lower bill, because that is objective and could very well be true. But most of the time it probably won't be true as to the cost being less, therefore claiming something "works well" is very subjective. All I know is if I take my family to a restaurant what comes out of my wallet. And it the price increases overall 20% - 70% and the quality and service didn't improve, to my opinion that didn't "work well" at all.

We are just sharing opinions and perspectives. I'm not attacking your statements.

Can you expand on your thought as to 'works well'?

The only thing I can think of is you eliminate ordering half of the meal, the a la carte cost for a child is less than today's cover charge (but probably not by half). On the flip side, if your child orders as much as they would have gotten via the cover charge, it costs a lot more.

I guess is you have a very young child and you just feed them a single appetizer it costs less, but that's hardly a meal.

I think it is more correct to say that in some situations there is a potential for a lower bill, because that is objective and could very well be true. But most of the time it probably won't be true as to the cost being less, therefore claiming something "works well" is very subjective. All I know is if I take my family to a restaurant what comes out of my wallet. And it the price increases overall 20% - 70% and the quality and service didn't improve, to my opinion that didn't "work well" at all.

We are just sharing opinions and perspectives. I'm not attacking your statements.

I don't consider it an attack, just a discussion :)

For many, not all, their kids would order an entire meal and only eat half of it....yet used to pay 1/2 the price but now is paying full price. With the a la carte, now kids can just be charged for what they order and many kids will order an app or two - depending on their age. IF they can eat a full meal then they would have had to pay full price anyway so now they just pay for what they eat. For kids....I think this a la carte works. For Adults...not so much!

Harriet

We sail on NCL Gem on a 10 night cruise in October and are both Platinum.

We anticipated that with our Platinum Benefit we would dine twice at Le Bistro and then might elect to pay the surcharge to dine at Cagney's and or La Cucina. Actually, we used to be able to eat once at Le Bistro and once at Cagney's by paying a nominal ($10?) upcharge.

It would not have entered our thoughts to purchase the UDP as we would have the 2 free nights already.

If anyone obtains updated information regarding the Platinum Benefit, I would appreciate hearing about it!

We've only done two cruises and done one specialty on each cruise -- Cagney's and La Cucina. Personally, I would not pay a la carte prices at either of these restaurants. Our experience at Cagney's was our worst experience on either of our cruises. While I know this is an anomaly, I can't see the experience being worth a per item price. On our cruise in March, we were very pleased with our food in the MDR. Maybe we were just lucky, but our five meals in the MDR always came out at the proper temperature and the alterations we asked for were always done properly.

We have the UDP on our upcoming Escape cruise. If it wasn't for that, we probably wouldn't bother with any specialties.

I agree with you. It's been my position that the cover charge at Cagney's was far too high for the Outback quality ungraded steak (you don't fool us with that "Angus beef" nonsense), cold sides and substandard service. We rarely have a great meal there and without the promo UDP we received for our upcoming cruise we would never book it again. We are eating there on that trip, but I'm sure this will be the last time (unless it is included in the price of the cruise as our UDP promo was).

Not a fan of this change. We just returned from the Norwegian Breakaway, and we felt nickel & died to death. With this policy, we will NOT be sailing on Norwegian again.

Why? I don't understand how some price changes at optional restaurants can make or break a cruise line. I'm not being argumentative, I really want to understand. I could see someone saying they aren't going to eat Cagney's or Le Bistro ever again, but is that honestly the only reason you cruise?

I am thinking seriously of cancelling our April cruise. We cruise to have a vacation that is different from land vacations. If I wanted to pay for room service and for restaurant a la carte dining I could vacation in a hotel. I am thinking seriouly of booking an "all inclusive" land resort. Wouldn't have the activities we like but at least we wouldn't have all these charges.

I am thinking seriously of cancelling our April cruise. We cruise to have a vacation that is different from land vacations. If I wanted to pay for room service and for restaurant a la carte dining I could vacation in a hotel. I am thinking seriouly of booking an "all inclusive" land resort. Wouldn't have the activities we like but at least we wouldn't have all these charges.

You can still cruise and not have these charges. Simply don't order room service, unless it's the Continental breakfast and eat at the complementary restaurants.

Harriet

::wondering if way back when.....the Titanic had specialty restaurants or everyone ate in the main dining room?

Why? I don't understand how some price changes at optional restaurants can make or break a cruise line. I'm not being argumentative, I really want to understand. I could see someone saying they aren't going to eat Cagney's or Le Bistro ever again, but is that honestly the only reason you cruise?

I'm not the poster you were speaking to but I'd like to give you my response to your question:

The pricing change makes a difference because we're not rich. Very simple.

To expand on that, with a set cover charge you could easily plan a night at Le Bistro, a night at Cagney's. Now such a plan becomes an exercise in nightly anxiety that I'd rather not deal with - how much am I/will I be spending, can I afford it?

I have ZERO interest in bringing anxiety along with me on my cruise. Cruising has always been complete relaxation for me, and it won't be anymore.

You can still cruise and not have these charges. Simply don't order room service, unless it's the Continental breakfast and eat at the complementary restaurants.

Harriet

::wondering if way back when.....the Titanic had specialty restaurants or everyone ate in the main dining room?

Not sure this is correct, but this is what answers dot com said: In addition to the three dining saloons (one for each class), Titanic also had a veranda cafe serving tea and light snacks, an a la carte restaurant with elaborate meals, and Cafe Parisien, resembling a French sidewalk cafe and only employing French chefs and waiters. There was also a private dining saloon for maids, servants and valets traveling with their first class employers; bringing the total number of dining rooms to 7.

Harriet

The Titanic did in fact have a specialty restaurant exclusive to first class guests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_class_facilities_of_the_RMS_Titanic#.C3.80_la_Carte_Restaurant

Each class (3 classes) also had their own main dining halls.

Edited by LMaxwell

Not sure this is correct, but this is what answers dot com said: In addition to the three dining saloons (one for each class), Titanic also had a veranda cafe serving tea and light snacks, an a la carte restaurant with elaborate meals, and Cafe Parisien, resembling a French sidewalk cafe and only employing French chefs and waiters. There was also a private dining saloon for maids, servants and valets traveling with their first class employers; bringing the total number of dining rooms to 7.

Hmmm, interesting!

Harriet

When we have priced all inclusive land resorts the total comes to about double what our cruises cost. They are entirely different kinds of vacations though, and I like boats, so I won't be quitting cruising any time soon. Price one out, though, and then look at the reviews for the food at the resort. It can be spotty.

The solution is to simply quit eating at the specialty restaurants altogether. The food in the MDR is only slightly less quality than the specialties, and if you abandon the idea of "fine, elegant dining" a la the Titanic then you can enjoy a cruise vacation eating food from the places like O'Sheehans, the MDR and the buffet. And still get an incredible value for your vacation dollar.

No, there is no way the kitchen could make smaller portions for kids.

And you know this how? Based on the portion sizes at Cagney's, they're already children's sized, so maybe that's what you meant?

One price for all, adults and kids (since portion is exactly the same) or kids order from kids menu. This new a la carte, even though I'm not a fan of it.....does actually work well with parents who bring their kids to a specialty restaurant.

Harriet

Like I said, a kick to the shin vs. a poke to the eye. I just wouldn't call that generosity.

And you know this how? Based on the portion sizes at Cagney's, they're already children's sized, so maybe that's what you meant?

Like I said, a kick to the shin vs. a poke to the eye. I just wouldn't call that generosity.

Really? With all that's going on in the kitchens now you want them to make smaller portions for kids? So now they'll need to purchase smaller steaks for kids and larger steaks for Adults? Or should they just cut a steak in half and hope some other kid order the other half of steak?

To each their own. We can agree to disagree as we both have different thoughts on it.

However, I'd much rather have a kick to the shin than a poke to the eye. :)

Harriet

Not a fan of this change. We just returned from the Norwegian Breakaway, and we felt nickel & died to death. With this policy, we will NOT be sailing on Norwegian again.

I agree. This may be the final change or the change to many since we booked.

We have a cruise booked with UDP but after that (and we still might cancel this one too) NCL will be left off the cruise search for the future.

Or we will change to another cruise line that does not have these costs or approached them differently.

Really? With all that's going on in the kitchens now you want them to make smaller portions for kids? So now they'll need to purchase smaller steaks for kids and larger steaks for Adults? Or should they just cut a steak in half and hope some other kid order the other half of steak?

They already have two sizes of fillet in Cagney's. They're already stocking different portion sizes. I seriously doubt they make just enough sides for each passenger that orders, but perhaps the kitchen on NCL ships operate differently that any other kitchen in existence. Do you have any insight on this or are you just assuming?

To each their own. We can agree to disagree as we both have different thoughts on it.

You're welcome to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

Harriet

Why do you feel the need to accept that choice? I'd rather not have either. That's the point. It's a false dilemma and a logical fallacy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

Harriet

Given all the changes since we booked we have long past both the kick and poke...;)

Why do you feel the need to accept that choice? I'd rather not have either. That's the point. It's a false dilemma and a logical fallacy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

See my last posting response on that topic.

You may enjoy this link; an explanation, example, and rebuttal to 42 different types of fallacies. I see many of these fallacies repeated here constantly and daily.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/index.html

They cut the sides of beef on the ship. A butcher can cut a 6 oz steak just as easily as they can cut a 12 oz. They don't get individual steaks pre cut and frozen. If they did, that's genuinely worth $0 upcharge.

But that's not true. Yes, they cut the sides of beef on the ship. But NOT for Cagney's. Those steaks come in pre-pkd and vacuum packed.

I was actually very surprised when they were shown to us on the BTST.

Yep, individual vacuum packed steaks for Cagneys.

Harriet

Titanic also wasn't the first ship to have one. The onboard a la carte specialty restaurant dates all the way back to the Ritz-Carlton onboard the German ocean liner SS Amerika (1905).

If anyone is curious, the a la carte restaurant is one of the more controversial topics regarding Titanic. Although never definitively proven, testimony was provided during the UK investigation that the Italian and French restaurant staff were kept from reaching the lifeboats by stewards. Allegedly the British were afraid that they would rush the boats.