Raising gratuities again!

HoopTroop

Let me see if I understand this correctly.. If I understand what Hooptroop posted-as long as I pay the gratuities prior to final payment I'm still locked in at the June rates. Right? I don't want to pay that now-it's a big chunk of money for two people for a 12 day cruise!

The email says as long as you prepay before final payment you will pay the current (lower) rate.

I just saw the e-mail notifying me of the DSC increase for my December 2016 cruise. Curious that I have not received the same for my November 2015 booking.

Is the cost difference going to break the piggybank. No. Am I happy about it? No. Do I consider NCL level of service better than the five other cruise lines I have sailed? No. Am I a fan of Del Rio? No.

I expect NCL is just scratching the surface of where they want NCL to head.

Yes, we are beyond final payment and our reservation gives us the option to prepay at the $12.95 rate.

I still think two increases within ~six months is a bit much.

I saw that they did give that option, that is why I actually changed my post (you quoted it before I had a chance to change it and not look so stupid LOL). But, I do agree with you about two increases within six months being a bit much.

Yeah, its been a bizarre past few months. All of these piecemeal changes to marginally increase on board spending while at the same time offering free UBP as a promo and depriving themselves of (potentially) hundreds of dollars per person in on board spending.

Exactly so now they have to find another way to pay the staff who do not directly interact with cruise passengers but are the behind the house people. :( I think that could be a reason for why this is going on since their revenue stream is drying up faster than anything with these long-running promotions.

Base fares are up so they are recovering the money there too! :cool:

Maybe this was the plan in the first place, and they wanted to implement the increase incrementally so it wasn't so drastic to cruisers? Who knows.
I doubt it. The vast majority of cruisers cruise once a year or less. This has been two increases in less than a year. For almost everyone, this is going to be a big jump up from what they paid the last time - they won't even be aware that there was a half-step increase that occurred.

This is not sitting well with me. We love NCL for the free-style concept and we are greatly looking forward to our Escape cruise next May. But, as others have said, I am getting uneasy. What else is going to change? What other additional charges are coming?

Seems like bad business strategy.

Is it really worth pissing off so many customers for the sake of like $3 from each passenger over the week.

Besides, these charges are optional and many people will choose to pay the old rates or remove them completely

Their top execs are blind to the notion that simplicity in pricing is better for business long-term. And that sneaky-backhanded pricing changes and term changes cause actually the opposite.

If me and my family weren't so excited about our upcoming cruise, I'd seriously consider canceling. Again, to me $0.50/pp/day makes no material difference. But to me is the fact with all the changes I'm getting the uneasy feeling I'll be getting a nasty bill at the end of the cruise with all sorts of extraneous charges.

I'm not an expert, but I wonder if tax policy and tax consequences are driving this somehow. The DSC may be seen as a pass through and so therefore doesn't count as revenue, so it may not be taxable. If it's added to the cost of the cruise, then maybe it's taxable as gross revenue. Either way, customers are going to pay for the wage increase to the crew, either through increased fares or increased fees, or both. Maybe this way they get the benefit of different tax treatment, and hiding it somewhat from customers because for some, the shock of this cost comes later.

Edited by Beachcampin

OMG, I just posted the same thing a couple posts above this. LOL! We have been on the same wave length a few times lately, which is freaking me out. I might need to leave the forum. :p

LOL - Yes, I just read it a few moments ago. See, we're not *always* opponents!

Harriet

Now, these are DSC, which, if I'm correct are "voluntary". So who's to say, you couldn't go to guest services the last day and say you will pay $12pp/day instead of the $13.50. They can't make you pay $13.50 if those are gratuities. I'd hate to be seen like a flaming ahole, but really, NCL isn't doing their staff any favors.

That doesn't punish executives who make these decisions but it does cheat hard working crew, IMO

Let me see if I understand this correctly.. I've not received any emails from NCL for either of my reservations but we also are new to the line so maybe that's why some folks are getting the emails and others aren't.

For our August Getaway cruise, we have free gratuities so won't be affected.

For our May Med cruise booked in June, our final payment isn't for many, many months. If I understand what Hooptroop posted-as long as I pay the gratuities prior to final payment I'm still locked in at the June rates. Right? I don't want to pay that now-it's a big chunk of money for two people for a 12 day cruise!

Just to clarify;

You have until July 31, 2015 to have your reservation marked as pre paying gratuities. This amount will then come due at final payment. You need to contact NCL, your PCC or TA prior to July 31st and let them know your intentions, you cannot wait until any time before final payment. Hope this helps.

Rochelle

I am beginning to wonder just how well they are doing. I was under the impression that the Bermuda cruises(especially the ones out of Boston on the Dawn) usually sold out. Yet, I was on the NCL website this morning checking prices and, for my cruise on 8/14, there are still lots of balconies and above available.

I am glad that I prepaid the gratuities for this one and they were one of the promos for my cruise on the Breakaway next March.

Let me see if I understand this correctly.. I've not received any emails from NCL for either of my reservations but we also are new to the line so maybe that's why some folks are getting the emails and others aren't.

For our August Getaway cruise, we have free gratuities so won't be affected.

For our May Med cruise booked in June, our final payment isn't for many, many months. If I understand what Hooptroop posted-as long as I pay the gratuities prior to final payment I'm still locked in at the June rates. Right? I don't want to pay that now-it's a big chunk of money for two people for a 12 day cruise!

correct

Just to clarify;

You have until July 31, 2015 to have your reservation marked as pre paying gratuities. This amount will then come due at final payment. You need to contact NCL, your PCC or TA prior to July 31st and let them know your intentions, you cannot wait until any time before final payment. Hope this helps.

Rochelle

No, as long as you prepay before your finale payment you pay the old rate

Question, if the DSC is higher for suite px, & the wording of the email says that suite guests also have the services of the butler & concierge, does that mean that you no longer have to tip them separately?

I don't believe that's what it means.....but I believe that's how lots of people are taking it. NCL worded it wrong, imho.

Harriet

Here is the email I received pasted below. Also, note that it says DAILY (not Discretionary) service charges. Maybe someday they'll get some consistency on that one too.

--------------------

Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its daily service charges, effective for all sailings that depart on or after August 1, 2015.

The new rates are:

$13.50 per person per day for any category up to a mini-suite stateroom

$15.50 per person per day for any suite category

Any guest that has made a booking by July 31, 2015 will have the option of prepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to the final payment due date. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid their service charges at the current rate will not be affected.

Norwegian's daily service charges make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes support staff. Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive the services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait staff.

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line®

---------------

Edited by mizlorinj

Question, if the DSC is higher for suite px, & the wording of the email says that suite guests also have the services of the butler & concierge, does that mean that you no longer have to tip them separately?

Interesting point.

I think NCL is just trying to keep a lid on the idea of inequity. How many times have we read and heard that butlers and concierges are not part of the DSC pool?

Just to put things into prospective:

The first increase in March went up $ .95 per person per day

This second increase will go up $ .55 per person per day

Total DSC increase to date for 2015 will be $1.50 per person - per day

Harriet

I don't believe that's what it means.....but I believe that's how lots of people are taking it. NCL worded it wrong, imho.

Harriet

I agree, I don't think it means that either, but I really wish that NCL would let some people on the streets read their communications before they send them out and then NCL could ask them what it meant. I'm sure that most times, they will find that the are not saying what most are understanding.