Alaskian Salmon

Pet

We are doing our first HAL cruise in September on Westerdam to Alaska and have heard that it is possible to purchase vacuum packed Alaskan salmon in some of the ports of call, which we are permitted to take back with us to the UK.

Grateful if anyone could advise where best to purchase these packs and what size they come in?

Many thanks:)

We get our Salmon from Salmon, Etc. in Ketchikan. It comes in different sizes for the vacuum packages which are then in a box. The first time we bought from them, I just took the packages out of the box and packed them in our suitcases. We got the 1 pound boxes that have 5 packages each 4 ounces -- you get a bonus package.

Now when we want good smoked salmon, we just order online from them and the order gets to our house in a few days.

They say if you want Alaskan salmon... you get it in Canada.... If want a Canadian salmon.... get it in Alaska. Apparently they harvest each other's fishes.

The same salmon co-exist on both sides of the border and never ask themselves about their nationality! :)

They say if you want Alaskan salmon... you get it in Canada.... If want a Canadian salmon.... get it in Alaska. Apparently they harvest each other's fishes.

Salmon is an international fish that knows no boundaries; over the years the disputes in the northern salmon fishery has been over the AB Line and entitlement to Skeena River bound salmon, much like Fraser River stocks that go through the Strait of Juan de Fuca and around some of the American San Juan Islands before reaching the Fraser River.

But to the question, salmon products are readily available in all Alaskan ports of call but usually in the caned or smoked variety. Smoked salmon is available both canned and in vacuum packs. As noted in a previous post Salmon Etc. who have a store on Creek St. and a Kiosk on Mission St. in Ketchikan has excellent products. I have often purchased the smoked Sockeye product in the vacuum packs for gifting which IMO is the best smoked salmon however, they also carry smoked Chinook (Spring or King salmon depending which side the border you live) and Pink salmon as well.

Seattle has the less expensive salmon but please note most salmon packed for shipment / tourists has been frozen unless smoked. My brother lives in Alaska and when he sends smoked salmon, it is from Seattle as he no longer smokes his own. Also we can usually get the same salmon at local stores for the same price without the hassle of shipment/luggage.

I agree with pretty much everything above but there's another angle that might be of relevance to you as a Brit, Pet - the extremely light level of smoke flavour in comparison to traditional UK fish products.

I have been disappointed with the depth of flavour of literally every single commercial smoked salmon I've had this side of the pond. Some restaurants and even a local CSF do make smokier product but in small quantities, and there are other commercial fish that get a really good level of smoke - Digby herring for example - but it just doesn't seem to work with mainstream consumer palates over here to cold-smoke salmon, let alone use a really long smoke.

If you enjoy the commercial vacuum-packed hot-smoked salmon (usually Norwegian, but sometimes Scottish) that can certainly be found all over the UK you'll be absolutely fine buying anything over this side (in which case I, like PD, strongly recommend Sockeye over any other species). OTOH if you're used to a real, traditional Scottish cold-smoke product forget about buying anything while you're here, or at the very least make sure you can actually get a sample to taste first before spending your cash.

Assuming you're good with the degree of smoking, buy it in Costco if you have a membership or any supermarket if you don't. The prices in the Alaskan ports are criminal compared to Seattle & Vancouver. You shouldn't have a problem at customs coming home as you are allowed up to 20kg of smoked fish for personal use.

Edited by martincath
add Customs info

I am very picky about my smoked salmon. I always purchase from the Taku Smokery, since I really like a particular product. They also do have some samples- that can help with choices. This is in Juneau by the tram parking lot. I picked up some local smoked salmon in Ketchikan- in the mall by dock 1, and my nephew raved about it (he is tuned into the quality of Alaskan products :) )

The best in IMHO is the candied salmon which is a thoroughly smoked and glazed salmon. You can get this in Seattle and Vancouver in vacuum sealed packs but won't get the lovely box with native art. Not that I've seen anyway. You may also find this delicacy under the name Indian Candy especially if you buy it from a native owned shop. In Vancouver you can combine a trip to Granville island with a stop at Longliners where they pack it for travel. They likely have something similar in Victoria although I've only seen the salmon that's more like lox (only smoked instead of just cured) when I've been there.

Not quite what it's ALL about Lizzie - I'd still take a perfectly-cooked 'inferior' salmon like Pink or Silver over a primo piece of Sockeye that has albumin foaming out due to overcooking as happens all-too-often.

Still, assuming equally-well-prepared, Sockeye spanks Atlantic salmon up & down the block.

Not quite what it's ALL about Lizzie - I'd still take a perfectly-cooked 'inferior' salmon like Pink or Silver over a primo piece of Sockeye that has albumin foaming out due to overcooking as happens all-too-often.

Still, assuming equally-well-prepared, Sockeye spanks Atlantic salmon up & down the block.

As a Maritimer of long standing although not living there now, I'd like to object to your statement. Unfortunately, I have to agree.

You missed the point, Sail. There's salmon..... and then there's salmon. Where it comes from and what kind is what it's all about.

No actually, I didn't miss the point.

Salmon is just about my favorite food and I eat it constantly. I wouldn't call myself an expert but I sure know that which I like. I get it about Alaska smoked salmon. :) We are lucky to have outstanding specialty markets and can get high quality items.

If I had to pick my last meal, it likely would be salmon. :)

Edited by sail7seas

There is most definitely a difference in the taste of salmon, depending on where it comes from.

I love Atlantic salmon and was unaware of the difference until I tried Norwegian salmon at one of the nice restaurants in Disney World. I took one bite and didn't finish it.

I now stick to Atlantic salmon because I know it will be to my taste.

You didn't mention delicious Scottish salmon. And, yes, there is a difference. And such a difference between wild caught and farmed.

Edited by sail7seas

Pacific salmon varies a lot not only by species but also according to genetics and what they feed on within the species. As a British Columbian I hate to admit it but likely the very best product available is the Alaskan Copper River Sockeye when it is in season; it is generally regarded the best because of it deep red colour and oil content. That said most people when they are having a salmon dinner don't have a clue whether they are eating Sockeye, Chinook or Coho, pink or farm reared Atlantic salmon. My personal fave is Sockeye and I usually try to obtain 20 or so each year, have them filleted and then the sides cut in half which makes a nice meal for Dudette and myself. A portion of the catch goes for smoking. But back to the genetics of fish...even within in the Chinook species they will vary considerably in color...few people know that a Chinook will sometimes be white, its not common and not the best eating but is highly prized for smoking because it has a very high oil content.

As for smoking, smoked fish will vary according to species and oil content. My personal fave again is Sockeye but some consider that a waste of good salmon and will use Chinook or pink. But the biggest difference lies in if the fish is hot or cold smoked. Most commercially smoked salmon is cold smoked and the end product is quite delicate in taste and more of the lox style. Hot smoked is more like the native Indians and involved the fish being cured and smoke over a warm heat for a number of hours or even days. Indian candy (I am not at all sure the Indians really did make salmon candy) is a good way to use up chunks from a larger salmon but even it will vary depending upon the species used and what is used to brine it....but its great nibbling on anytime.

Many thanks for the education on salmon and its various sources or flavours. I don't claim to know anything about it except that some taste better than others. Over here most supermarkets will stock largely farm bred fish which is perfectly fine most of the time although a little pink compared to the decent options offered in some restaurant's IMHO. Having heard glowing reports on the quality and flavour of salmon from your part of the world I don't want to miss the opportunity to purchase and hence compare it. Its like buying Champagne from that region in France or caviar from Russia - its supposed to be the best.

Many thanks again. :)

Pacific salmon varies a lot not only by species but also according to genetics and what they feed on within the species. As a British Columbian I hate to admit it but likely the very best product available is the Alaskan Copper River Sockeye when it is in season;

Indeed, "Copper River is here" means a trip to the market after clearing out the basement freezer at my house.

My question is, if HAL is doing Alaska cruises why not serve the local product? Allow people to taste what all the hoopla is all about, instead of serving a pale substitute that has to be trucked in thousands of miles.

Of course Atlantic salmon is cheaper than local Northwest caught wild salmon. If one were to eat wild salmon every supper the increased cost could be as much as $20 a week. Besides, most cruisers wouldn't know the difference. Which is fine by me, as it is, more for me.

This was the bone of contention with me on my last cruise; when I asked my knowledgeable waiter where the salmon came from, he was quick to tell me it was Alaskan Coho. I don't eat Atlantic salmon, I don't eat krab with a "k", and I don't eat margarine.

Edited by Lottie Linda

Indeed, "Copper River is here" means a trip to the market after clearing out the basement freezer at my house.

My question is, if HAL is doing Alaska cruises why not serve the local product? Allow people to taste what all the hoopla is all about, instead of serving a pale substitute that has to be trucked in thousands of miles.

Of course Atlantic salmon is cheaper than local Northwest caught wild salmon. If one were to eat wild salmon every supper the increased cost could be as much as $20 a week. Besides, most cruisers wouldn't know the difference. Which is fine by me, as it is, more for me.

This was the bone of contention with me on my last cruise; when I asked my knowledgeable waiter where the salmon came from, he was quick to tell me it was Alaskan Coho. I don't eat Atlantic salmon, I don't eat krab with a "k", and I don't eat margarine.

If you are really interested in how ships are provisioned in Alaska, use the Search function. I think it was either Bruce Muzz or chengkp who did a very informative post about why cruise ships serve the salmon that they do. Maybe a year or a bit more ago (please excuse my fading memory.....)

Edited by CowPrincess

Many thanks for the education on salmon and its various sources or flavours. I don't claim to know anything about it except that some taste better than others. Over here most supermarkets will stock largely farm bred fish which is perfectly fine most of the time although a little pink compared to the decent options offered in some restaurant's IMHO. Having heard glowing reports on the quality and flavour of salmon from your part of the world I don't want to miss the opportunity to purchase and hence compare it. Its like buying Champagne from that region in France or caviar from Russia - its supposed to be the best.

Many thanks again. :)

<Gasp> "Farmed salmon" is a dirty word in my part of the world (well 2 dirty words really.:D