Do people decorate stateroom doors?

KrystaGali

We decided to identify our cabin after trying several times to get my key card to work, going down to guest services and getting changed only to discover upon returning to my cabin I was initially trying to get into the next door cabin not ours.

Seems like kids could have a fantastic time moving the door decorations down 1 cabin :)

It's a great thing that we all don't think alike - how boring would the world be. IMHO I don't think door decorating has anything to do with making myself the center of attention because after all - I'm not standing there in the hallway next to it waiting for accolades or boos. It may be beyond someone's ability to realize that us door decorators chose to do it because it makes us happy - it becomes a tradition. Our last cruise we were at the aft - dead at the end around a corner - only a small handful of cabins could see those decorations.

I fail to see that we are imposing anything on anyone - don't like it, don't look. Is the team that shows up every single time that trivia is played, the team that always wins, imposing their eccentricities on someone? Are they looking for attention? What about those that join in the talent show or the flash mob dance? Each of us has those things about a cruise that makes it fun and special for us. :)

I agree!! We are all different and that is good. Does not make it right or wrong - just different. It is the spice of life.

I have decorated the door for every cruise, granted I have not been on many and most were to celebrate an occasion. I always use magnets and clean everything off of the door at the end of the cruise. Decorating the door makes me happy. I have a pad of post-its and a marker and it helps to let everyone in the group to know where everyone is. I have gotten some very nice messages left. One cruise, people actually thanked me for decorating my door so that they could find theirs - right next door! This is a very heated argument that keeps popping up. As long as you are not causing any damage and clean up after yourself - no harm no foul.

I was taught to respect my neighbors and to not make myself the center of attention. I don't decorate my front lawn with pink flamingos, statues or gnomes. I don't paint my house in bright, garish colors. And I would never decorate the outside of my door, whether on a cruise ship or in a hotel. I try not to do anything to intrude on anyone else's enjoyment of their own vacation by imposing my own eccentricities on them. I have never subscribed to the "it's my vacation and I'll do whatever I want" mentality because other people are affected by those actions.

Sorry, but to me door decorations are childish and exhibitionistic. It's a "look at me, I need attention" activity that I find unappealing. May be fine for a private birthday party or other private celebration, but certainly not in a public area.

You seriously care far too much about what your neighbors think. As long as the decorator is not making extra work for someone else, how could this possibly be considered disrespectful or foisting themselves on others?

btw...I am the very proud owner of a small garden gnome!!!! (and I have had nary a complaint...., but that cow from the famed cow parade in the back yard does raise a few eyebrows. But you can only see that if I invite you over :) )

:eek: Has that actually happened to you? I've door decorated each and every cruise that I have ever gone on - and not once have I ever had anything go missing.

We travel with another couple and usually put something on our doors so that we know how to easily find our cabins. Nothing expensive, usually from the Dollar store, flamingos, parrots, fun things for the Caribbean. On most cruises our cabin stewards have asked if they could have our decorations at the end of the cruise. We love thinking our decorations are making their cabins a little more fun.

But WAIT! It gets even better!! (Decorator haters may want to skip this post!) Below is a photo of my suite decor while cruising in the South Pacific. Everyone who visited us loved this, and, at the end of the cruise, both cabin stewards wanted it for their young daughters..... (I suggested they rock/paper/scissor for it, and that drew some blank stares!) :eek::):p

It really brightened up our suite!

ry%3D400

princess still does....

the room steward put it up during our last cruise in april.....my wife said he looked upset when I told him to take it down. I personally think it's a bit cheesy and not for me.....but, if it increases your personal enjoyment of the cruise...go for it....after all, that's why we are there....to ENJOY!

Princess always used to put a paper on the door for birthdays anniversaries etc plus balloons. If there were children on board these balloons never lasted long just too irresistible to pass without bursting them. Well we assumed it was kids ... Who knows ... Can't remember seeing any on our last cruise, perhaps another cost cut. However last year each cabin post slot got decorated with a nice Christmas decoration in different designs for thanksgiving. Which made the whole corridor look very festive.

We like to decorate the inside of our cabin to personalise it a bit. Usually it's a birthday and we take along our greeting cards and blue tack. We also take magnets to hold the daily planners on the wall plus all the invites and offers.

Seems like kids could have a fantastic time moving the door decorations down 1 cabin :)

And yet another reason Celebrity is our line of first choice, less kids that have not been taught manners by their parents. Most we have met on Celebrity are very well heeled. :rolleyes:

Edited by wallie5446

But WAIT! It gets even better!! (Decorator haters may want to skip this post!) Below is a photo of my suite decor while cruising in the South Pacific. Everyone who visited us loved this, and, at the end of the cruise, both cabin stewards wanted it for their young daughters..... (I suggested they rock/paper/scissor for it, and that drew some blank stares!) :eek::):p

ry%3D400

OK, you put a full wall picture of a sea/tropic view next to the window where there is the original tropic/ sea view... :confused::D

I decorate our door on every cruise. I usually put an American flag. Not only does it show where we come from but it helps me find my room. I have heard many positive comments from people who my decoration has helped them find their own room.

Our next cruise that leaves a week from today, yeah, I will be putting a few magnets that will identify where we come from and what hobbies we have. It's a great conversation starter.

I loved your comments! Put me in the group that has joy for life and laughing! I decorate my door because it makes me happy - I'm careful to never damage any surface and I always clean up at the end of the cruise. So at the moment I'm planning my decorations for Alaska in May - anyone know where I can get a life-size Moose magnet? :D

DH and I are on a Panama Canal cruise in Sept and I am planning on decorating our door. Have never done it before, but I have seen it on Celebrity ships. I'm going to have to try to be creative as some of these posters.

ry%3D400

Not sure why you had to be snarky with that "decorator haters" comment. Shows that being able to afford a suite doesn't mean a person has "class".

Besides, how you decorate your INSIDE of the stateroom has no affect on anyone else other than the person who has to remove the tape residue or fill in the holes from the tacks used to secure it in place. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

My BF and I have been on 2 cruises (third one coming at the end of this week) and we've seen decorations on doors on both cruises. I never thought of them as "look at me, look at me" OR tacky. I always just thought they were fun and festive. I always try to imagine how they decorate their homes for holidays and birthdays. I consider the door decorations the same way I would house decorations. I see them, I admire them, my BF and I comment about them if we like or don't like them and we move on. I don't think they've taken away from my enjoyment of any cruise. To me (in my opinion) that would be like me saying someones Christmas lights take away from a street because I don't believe in decorating for Christmas. As long as the decorations aren't pushing someones beliefs on me or as long as they aren't hateful or nasty then I don't mind them. If you don't like them, don't look at them. Thats all my opinions though.

On our Summit cruise May 24th 3 cabins past ours had dry erase boards on their doors. Well one morning while DH and I were passing them going to breakfast there were "no so nice words" written on each board. I'm sure the occupants must have been happy to see what someone had done during the night.

In the past we would never see any doors decorated or dry erase boards. I was also told that Celebrity did not have a Cruise Critic door sign like RCCL because they prefer people did not decorate their doors or put anything on them.

Not sure why you had to be snarky with that "decorator haters" comment. Shows that being able to afford a suite doesn't mean a person has "class".

Besides, how you decorate your INSIDE of the stateroom has no affect on anyone else other than the person who has to remove the tape residue or fill in the holes from the tacks used to secure it in place. :rolleyes:

There was no holes, there was no tape residue, and I was not being snarky in the least. It was simply an honest observation.....

I have cruised on Disney in the past and this will be my first time on Celebrity. Do people decorate their doors on Celebrity like they do on Disney?

Some do. Mostly around the holidays. Frequently those in the meet & mingle do as well.

We decided to identify our cabin after trying several times to get my key card to work, going down to guest services and getting changed only to discover upon returning to my cabin I was initially trying to get into the next door cabin not ours.

Okaaaay. So, is the drink package a good deal?(humor,folks!)

We will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary on our next cruise. We have no intention of advertising the event. As a matter of fact I don't even plan on mentioning it to any of the staff. The Celebrity rep who I booked with asked if we were celebrating an occasion and I did tell him about our anniversary. I don't know if Celebrity will do anything special but I don't really care either way.

I'd never even heard of it before I went on a cruise! Same thing with Ammolite until I went to Vancouver the first time. I don't have much of an opinion either way on those, either, except to note that gemstones are generally not a good investment (which goes for diamonds as well). So, those fliers really are a waste on me.

They have been threatening that Ammonite is going to become extinct since my first cruise in 1986. I wish it would. That would be one less sales pitch and one less flyer. The trees are going to become extinct before any gemstone does from all of the wasted paper they use for the flyers.

It's kind of alarming to think there are so many people who can't find their cabins. I guess Celebrity better decorate the lifeboats.;)

The room numbers are big numbers to remember. They are in the thousands!

Maybe Celebrity can write the numbers on their hands/wrists when they come onboard.