Do people decorate stateroom doors?

KrystaGali

One year for an 11 night holiday cruise I brought wreaths--I had glued starfish and wrapped star wire garland. Complete w door hangers they looked great on the doors and as others have said--was a beacon for several on the hall.

I think more doors were decorated for the holiday.

This time we are flying -- so no extras like that in our luggage or carryons

I have cruised on Disney in the past and this will be my first time on Celebrity. Do people decorate their doors on Celebrity like they do on Disney?

Absolutely. And much more in the past five years or so. Celebrity has become far more mainstream, and far more of a relaxed atmosphere as time has gone on. And if there happens to be some kind of group, either formally or casually organized, many will have something on their door.

Just loved your quote at the bottom of your comments. Glad we are not the only ones who tend to wear out before we rust out!

And as Jimmy Buffett once said, "I'd rather die while I'm living, than live while I'm dead."

Princess always used to put a paper on the door for birthdays anniversaries etc plus balloons. If there were children on board these balloons never lasted long just too irresistible to pass without bursting them. Well we assumed it was kids ... Who knows ... Can't remember seeing any on our last cruise, perhaps another cost cut. However last year each cabin post slot got decorated with a nice Christmas decoration in different designs for thanksgiving. Which made the whole corridor look very festive.

We like to decorate the inside of our cabin to personalise it a bit. Usually it's a birthday and we take along our greeting cards and blue tack. We also take magnets to hold the daily planners on the wall plus all the invites and offers.

PLEASE decorate your door! :) We always have! I love seeing the creativity of some, and it helps break up a looooong boring walk up the hallway!

This was my DH's birthday on the Jewel of the Seas....

ry%3D480

Hello,

And just to provide a completely different point of view from some others on here...from an adult (have been for quite a few decades):D:D...I have seen door decorations on every Celebrity cruise I have been on. I don't consider it tacky at all. I think it has absolutely nothing to do with disrespecting the designers of the ship, and therefore takes nothing away from the beautiful design of the ship...in fact it often brightens up the hallways with fun, colorful, sometimes quite poignant (have seen military) decorations.

Celebrity caters to all ages of folks...and even adults with a fun, child-like enthusiasm and joy for life and laughing and fun, and an unbridled, wide-eyed enthusiastic approach to the joys of cruising !

And for ship-directionally-challenged individuals like my better half...the decorations do indeed help one find the cabin sometimes ! :D So, please feel free to do this passenger a favor...and decorate your door if you so desire...I quite enjoy looking, and smiling, at them !

BBL

I loved your comments! Put me in the group that has joy for life and laughing! I decorate my door because it makes me happy - I'm careful to never damage any surface and I always clean up at the end of the cruise. So at the moment I'm planning my decorations for Alaska in May - anyone know where I can get a life-size Moose magnet? :D

I loved your comments! Put me in the group that has joy for life and laughing! I decorate my door because it makes me happy - I'm careful to never damage any surface and I always clean up at the end of the cruise. So at the moment I'm planning my decorations for Alaska in May - anyone know where I can get a life-size Moose magnet? :D

So, are you accusing those of us who don't decorate of having no "joy for life and laughing." Really? What group do typecast us as? :confused:

Edited by SantaFeFan

Hello,

And just to provide a completely different point of view from some others on here...from an adult (have been for quite a few decades):D:D...I have seen door decorations on every Celebrity cruise I have been on. I don't consider it tacky at all. I think it has absolutely nothing to do with disrespecting the designers of the ship, and therefore takes nothing away from the beautiful design of the ship...in fact it often brightens up the hallways with fun, colorful, sometimes quite poignant (have seen military) decorations.

I'm in your camp. Although we seldom decorate our door, we always pause to enjoy, and speculate on, the decorated doors. I like it when people max out their holiday tradition fun. Go for it.

Decorating doors is pretty rare on Celebrity. I can't remember ever seeing any door decorations on any Celebrity cruise we have taken. The ship is pretty classy, and most people respect the designers and don't clutter up the decor with stuff that doesn't match. Personally, I don't like door decorations. To me they are tacky, and takes away from the classy looks of the ship..

You might be interested to know that we had several rooms in our corridor decorated with mylar streamers when we arrived on the Summit. When I mentioned to our room steward a couple days into the cruise that it was my husband's birthday that day, we came back and found OUR door decorated with the same mylar streamers. They had been provided by the cruise staff for passengers celebrating special occasions.

I thought they were pretty tasteful decorations.

I was taught to respect my neighbors and to not make myself the center of attention. I don't decorate my front lawn with pink flamingos, statues or gnomes. I don't paint my house in bright, garish colors. And I would never decorate the outside of my door, whether on a cruise ship or in a hotel. I try not to do anything to intrude on anyone else's enjoyment of their own vacation by imposing my own eccentricities on them. I have never subscribed to the "it's my vacation and I'll do whatever I want" mentality because other people are affected by those actions.

Sorry, but to me door decorations are childish and exhibitionistic. It's a "look at me, I need attention" activity that I find unappealing. May be fine for a private birthday party or other private celebration, but certainly not in a public area.

I was taught to respect my neighbors and to not make myself the center of attention. I don't decorate my front lawn with pink flamingos, statues or gnomes. I don't paint my house in bright, garish colors. And I would never decorate the outside of my door, whether on a cruise ship or in a hotel. I try not to do anything to intrude on anyone else's enjoyment of their own vacation by imposing my own eccentricities on them. I have never subscribed to the "it's my vacation and I'll do whatever I want" mentality because other people are affected by those actions.

Sorry, but to me door decorations are childish and exhibitionistic. It's a "look at me, I need attention" activity that I find unappealing. May be fine for a private birthday party or other private celebration, but certainly not in a public area.

Not that I am a huge fan of door decorations, but does a solitary decorated door really take away from your vacation experience? You spend maybe 2 seconds passing by that door. You don't have to stand there and be forced to examine the decorations. And these people may not be trying to be the centers of attention at all. From some of the posts I've read here, it seems as though groups of people decorate doors for each other. For special occasions, holidays, etc.

It's completely different from being in a hotel, because on a cruise ship, all the passengers are part of a group. You are all on a journey together for multiple nights. You see some of the same people each day, especially if you share a hallway. If anything, I think it adds to the atmosphere of being on a ship together. Admittedly, I have never decorated a door, and I probably never will. However, I can totally understand why others would want to.

It's completely different from being in a hotel, because on a cruise ship, all the passengers are part of a group. You are all on a journey together for multiple nights. You see some of the same people each day, especially if you share a hallway. If anything, I think it adds to the atmosphere of being on a ship together. Admittedly, I have never decorated a door, and I probably never will. However, I can totally understand why others would want to.

Can't say as I agree with the logic here. Before we "discovered" cruising, DW and I headed to the Caribbean every winter to enjoy a week or two at a resort and would fly with a plane full of fellow travellers, many of whom we would see later during our stay. In essence, exactly as you describe for cruise passengers, but for land-based holidays. In our many years of such travel, I don't recall seeing a single decorated door at a resort.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rather neutral on the subject; I'd never decorate my cabin door, with the possible exception of a Christmas wreath, but I'm not put off by those of others. Well, most of them anyway, as some really are a bit tacky. :)

As I said in an earlier post, what makes a thread like this interesting to me is the "why", not the "what". Sloopsailor and PTMary have clearly articulated their reasons for not being in favour of door decorations and others have given their reasons for wanting to decorate. Even though I disagree with your reasoning, I enjoyed reading your input too.

To each his own I guess:rolleyes: On a Disney cruise would expect it especially since this line caters to children.

I think it may go into the nuisance arena when crew has to pick this stuff up in the hall or when the poor attendant is trying to scrape double stick tape off of walls and doors after you ever so happily leave. Magnets....okay but leaving any work for someone else to deal with is annoying. Saw an irritated attendant scraping that sticky mess off the door only needing for it to be painted.......REALLY?!:confused:

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but it does immediately make me think of a dorm. And until Celebrity stops junking up the mailslot with fliers, then I don't buy the "don't mess up the design aesthetics" reason.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but it does immediately make me think of a dorm. And until Celebrity stops junking up the mailslot with fliers, then I don't buy the "don't mess up the design aesthetics" reason.

What, you aren't interested in the Tanzanite Sale of the Century??? :)

We decorate our cabin door on every cruise! It makes things festive and fun! :)

When we sailed during Halloween, I even hung a felt pumpkin from the door handle that held candy treats that guests were free to help themselves on "trick or treat" evening!

BTW...if you choose to decorate your cabin door, please remember to clean up after your cruise is over and remove the tape from the door so the cabin steward doesn't have to.

Edited by QTBabyNurse

At Christmas time - Yes... The doors are magnetic so that works as well as command strips that are detachable. I have a sign that fits on the plaque by the door that holds dailies.

Also Halloween - generally quite a few door decorations.

What, you aren't interested in the Tanzanite Sale of the Century??? :)

I'd never even heard of it before I went on a cruise! Same thing with Ammolite until I went to Vancouver the first time. I don't have much of an opinion either way on those, either, except to note that gemstones are generally not a good investment (which goes for diamonds as well). So, those fliers really are a waste on me.

Our next cruise is in honor of our 30th wedding anniversary, and you can bet our door will be decorated! In our 10+ cruises, I have decorated maybe 2-3 times. It's usually for a very special occasion, and of course, I clean up when we leave, and never use anything that mars the door. Like others said, it makes us happy to see the decorated door!!

Edited by casandbliz

It's a great thing that we all don't think alike - how boring would the world be. IMHO I don't think door decorating has anything to do with making myself the center of attention because after all - I'm not standing there in the hallway next to it waiting for accolades or boos. It may be beyond someone's ability to realize that us door decorators chose to do it because it makes us happy - it becomes a tradition. Our last cruise we were at the aft - dead at the end around a corner - only a small handful of cabins could see those decorations.

I fail to see that we are imposing anything on anyone - don't like it, don't look. Is the team that shows up every single time that trivia is played, the team that always wins, imposing their eccentricities on someone? Are they looking for attention? What about those that join in the talent show or the flash mob dance? Each of us has those things about a cruise that makes it fun and special for us. :)

Edited by Jane2357

We decided to identify our cabin after trying several times to get my key card to work, going down to guest services and getting changed only to discover upon returning to my cabin I was initially trying to get into the next door cabin not ours.