Sip and Sail

Jacks Nana

The sip & sail is one of the reasons we're not sailing Princess next year. Bumped up the cost of the cruise.

Our cruise was higher with the sip & sail but we booked with a TA at their group rate so price was much lower without the AIBP:) (which we don't need)

If you don't want the Sip and Sail, can you ask for OBC instead, effectively, lowering the price of the cruise? You could use the OBC for tips.

From the Princess site......

In the event that the guest does not want the beverage package, alternative OBC amounts have been designated: Guests booking sailings 6-9 days can receive $150 per person. Guests booking sailings 10-12 days can receive $200 per person. Guests booking sailings 13+ days can receive $250 per person.

We booked land and sea package last month for next July before sale. Because the land tour is full (ship still pretty empty) we do not qualify:confused: Asked our TA about it and she is still talking to Princess but doesn't hold out much hope! Any body else have this come up?

Isn't a drink limit of 15/day kind of moot? Who could possibly drink more drinks than that in a single day? I couldn't even drink that many glasses of water.

Tom

Apparently many on CCL do or they wouldn't feel the need for the limit, lol. But agreed, that's a LOT of booze.

Last May, some friends and I booked a cruise sailing in September of 2016.

The cabins we booked were 2 balconies and 1 suite. We paid our Captains Circle Launch Savings deposits and secured the cabins we wanted. We also got the military benefit OBC.

Yesterday our travel agent called Princess about the SIP & SAIL promotion and got it applied to our bookings. The promotion features were applied to our bookings with no change in fare or loss of any OBC.

Unfortunately, the promotion did not apply to 3 bookings for other itineraries that I have.

From the Princess site......

In the event that the guest does not want the beverage package, alternative OBC amounts have been designated: Guests booking sailings 6-9 days can receive $150 per person. Guests booking sailings 10-12 days can receive $200 per person. Guests booking sailings 13+ days can receive $250 per person.

On a 7 day cruise they only give you a 150.00 OBC for a drink package selling at almost 400.00. Somehow doesn't seem quite right.

On a 7 day cruise they only give you a 150.00 OBC for a drink package selling at almost 400.00. Somehow doesn't seem quite right.

Basically - it's the cost of the booze. Very large profit margin on alcohol.

Obviously, princess thinks the profit on the drink package is at least $250.

And, probably more, as OBC isn't the same as cash for many people.

I am looking to book a Princess cruise to Alaska next year. The prices for a balcony on the UK site are higher than the U.S. and there is no OBC or sip and sail. Does anyone know whether this will be extended to UK passengers?

Kind regards.

Tracy

Does anyone know whether this will be extended to UK passengers?

Kind regards.

Tracy

Offer is available to residents of the 50 United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Bermuda and the District of Columbia

No idea if it will be extended to you, but I doubt it.

Edited by toberman

The various cruise lines under the Carnival Corp umprella have a new philosophy of trying not to reduce basic pricing in order to fill the cabins but to instead offer amenities while keeping the price level high.

So by not lowering the price and effectively offering a $250 benefit (OBC or what the AIBP really costs them for that length cruise) Princess is following the directive to keep pricing at a high level. Alternatively they could have just reduced the price by $250/person, but that would not be following the new philosophy.

Celebrity is using the same logic. I have to say that the promos that they were running are filling ships early. Itineraries that have had bargain basement pricing in the past are slim to none. Last year I could have grabbed a Bermuda cruise for $500pp. This year the last minute prices were higher than what I'm paying for the same week next year.

We booked land and sea package last month for next July before sale. Because the land tour is full (ship still pretty empty) we do not qualify:confused: Asked our TA about it and she is still talking to Princess but doesn't hold out much hope! Any body else have this come up?

Correct. What you booked is sold out and therefore does not qualify for any future promotion unless people cancel and there are spaces available again.

The sip & sail is one of the reasons we're not sailing Princess next year. Bumped up the cost of the cruise.

As the following two posts show, Princess is not increasing the cost of the cruises to cover the beverage package costs.

Prices for a cruise go up and down according to demand.

These two posters had the current AIBP package added and also received a reduction in cruise cost.

Signed up for the S&S sail on a previously reserved cruise and received both the S&S package as well as a $200 reduction in our total price.

I just called and got a reduction in cruise fare of $200 and the drink package on a Baltic cruise in May 2016. We had originally booked this cruise in February.

Two weeks ago, I booked a cruise under the Sip and Sail. As of this morning, that particular cruise is no longer offering the package, and the prices are same as when I booked. I'm guessing the cruise has reached the capacity limit for the offer? I'm really glad that I didn't wait to book it.:D

Isn't a drink limit of 15/day kind of moot? Who could possibly drink more drinks than that in a single day? I couldn't even drink that many glasses of water.

Tom

this is also including water and soda....I wasn't just talking about alcohol...I could drink 15 bottles of water during the day...but everything is ok, there is no limit....

I just booked our honeymoon cruise - 10 day Southern Caribbean - using the Sip and Sail. It is the December 10th sailing, and I hadn't really been looking at pricing up until yesterday when someone from our last cruise mentioned it to me. Comparing the pricing to what it was this past year in February I wasn't unhappy. In fact, the price went up $50 pp since yesterday! We booked an inside cabin for our Eastern Caribbean route due to budget, but now we have a bit more wiggle room and really wanted a balcony and with it being our honeymoon, getting the beverage package was a nice bonus. I remember keeping an eye on inside cabin pricing last year for both Southern and Eastern because of our trip (I was having a hard time deciding) and they were on the Royal as well, and none of them really fell below $1299 pp. Between what my aunt/travel agent is providing through the booking, redemption of travel points from my credit card, and the beverage package I'm pretty excited. :) I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone but our price of $1649 pp for a balcony that close to Christmas is great to me!

• 1 year later...

Princess is offering the sip and sail package now through 7/2017. In the fine print it states that there is a limit to how many alcoholic beverages you can get per day, but the number is not posted.

Does anyone know how many alcoholic drinks per day Princess allows?

Thanks!

There is no limit and there are only about 3 high-end liquors that aren't included.

This is the fine print from the current sip&sail offer. Note the part I highlighted in red. A limit on alcoholic beverages is stated, but nowhere in the fine print does it mention what the limit is.

‡Free All-Inclusive Beverage Package applies to guests booked in a balcony stateroom or above, valid only for guests 1 & 2 per stateroom who are 21 years or older. The All-Inclusive Beverage Package price is $57.45 (US Dollars) per guest, per day and includes beer, cocktails, spirits and glasses of wine up to $10, all non-alcoholic beverages including bottled water, coffee, tea, and espresso specialty drinks, with a pre-paid 15% gratuity included for these items. The package includes the additional benefit of a 40% discount on bottles of wine under $100 (gratuity not included on wine bottles). A daily limit on alcoholic beverages will apply.