Rude Passengers

sarasfw

I have one that will blow you away. I sometimes carry a SMALL tote bag containing a needlepoint project' date=' some yarns, a pair of scissors...and sometimes add a book or whatever I might want while on deck. There is nothing special about this bag; I think it was a cosmetic company freebie several years ago and I like it because the vinyl wipes off easily. One late morning I was in one of the deck lounge chairs with my bag tucked under the small "snack table" next to the chair, quite out of the way. Two elderly ladies came over and literally started taking stuff out of my bag and commenting on it. I looked over and asked if they had a problem with my bag. One replied, "No, we just thought it was so interesting."

The didn't steal anything...literally just went thru it, commented on my needlework and my book, ultimately put everything back and went on their way. I turned to the friend next to me and basically said "What the heck?" Her comment was that beyond a certain age, people think they can do anything they wish.[/quote']

Oh NO they didn't!!!! You are a better women than I am...I'm 60 and would NEVER EVER think of doing this..Our first cruise with Princess is in 24 days....can't wait... Kinda have the urge to take one of my CLINIQUE bags and bait some of these women. I can tell you now, IT WON'T BE PRETTY!!!

You she likely had less time left on this earth/sea than the rest of the folks in line...:eek:

OK OK not a real good excuse but just wanted to illustrate a different point of view. :D

You missed part of my point. This was a 62 day Cruise where everyone was a senior! Even in her 80s she was far from the oldest (not even in the line for eggs Benedict). Actually had dinner with a 93 year old gentleman one evening who told us amazing stories about fighting in WWII. And one man Celebrated his 103rd birthday on that cruise (the oldest cruiser we have ever met).

Hank

Oh NO they didn't!!!! You are a better women than I am...I'm 60 and would NEVER EVER think of doing this..Our first cruise with Princess is in 24 days....can't wait... Kinda have the urge to take one of my CLINIQUE bags and bait some of these women. I can tell you now, IT WON'T BE PRETTY!!!

I think I was so shocked that I just didn't know what to do about it. They were probably in their 80s and I was trying to be decent and not make a scene....while fuming inside. That's was why my question as to did they have a problem--I thought that would shame them into moving on. It didn't.

So, my wife and I are in the piano bar, waiting to go into dinner, and a group of people coming out of the dining room walk by. I look up, and there's this guy with about a two foot strand of dental floss, flossing his teeth as he's walking through the ship! And this was on formal night. Nice.

Once, when we had our kids with us, my son (who was about 9) and I were in the buffet line. This guy stepped around us, and jumped back in line in front of my son. Then he put his open hand on my son's chest to push him back. I grab the guy by the wrist and said, "I'm pretty sure you don't want to touch my son. Now, you can either walk away, or I drop you right here." He walked away.

Like most folks, I could go on and on.

We live by the rule of no discussion of religion or politics with strangers and wish others would too.

We were on a private excursion in Sagenuay Quebec seated in the front seat. Within 15 minutes we had learned all about the gentleman (using the term loosely) sitting behind us because he volunteered it to the entire van load of folks (born Canadian, moved to the US years ago).

At one point the guide gave a little talk about the importance of blueberries to the local economy (BTW they are absolutely delicious) and very proudly said that they had even provided some to the White House. The gentleman behind us said "should have put poison in them." The guide didn't hear and asked him to repeat it which he had no problem doing - loud enough for the entire van to hear. I said quietly to him that in this day and age a comment like that against any sitting (or for that matter, former) president was stupid.

As we got off the van at the next stop he (a very big guy) got in my face and said "I bet you're some idiot liberal." I replied that I was a voter and Americans could remove any president they didn't like every 4 years. My very quiet husband wheeled around and looked him in the eye, barely controlling his anger, and said "Back off. I worked for 35 years for presidents some of whom I liked and some I didn't like to ensure that you live in peace." He got flustered and walked away. We saw (and ignored) him later on in different locations on the ship almost always being loud and pushy - I guess he was just that type of person.

I think I was so shocked that I just didn't know what to do about it. They were probably in their 80s and I was trying to be decent and not make a scene....while fuming inside. That's was why my question as to did they have a problem--I thought that would shame them into moving on. It didn't.

My mother in law is in her 80's. She's that way, not with me because I call her out on it. During the holidays she goes through the house, where ever we are, on the premise of looking at ALL the pretty things they have. Then talks about what a bad housekeeper they are. She did it once to me, I told her if it bothered her she could stay home and I would have her son bring her a plate of food. NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN!! For some reason I think all older people have no respect for others or shame. I tell my kids just shoot me if I get that way.. Happy cruising!!

We live by the rule of no discussion of religion or politics with strangers and wish others would too.

We were on a private excursion in Sagenuay Quebec seated in the front seat. Within 15 minutes we had learned all about the gentleman (using the term loosely) sitting behind us because he volunteered it to the entire van load of folks (born Canadian, moved to the US years ago).

At one point the guide gave a little talk about the importance of blueberries to the local economy (BTW they are absolutely delicious) and very proudly said that they had even provided some to the White House. The gentleman behind us said "should have put poison in them." The guide didn't hear and asked him to repeat it which he had no problem doing - loud enough for the entire van to hear. I said quietly to him that in this day and age a comment like that against any sitting (or for that matter, former) president was stupid.

As we got off the van at the next stop he (a very big guy) got in my face and said "I bet you're some idiot liberal." I replied that I was a voter and Americans could remove any president they didn't like every 4 years. My very quiet husband wheeled around and looked him in the eye, barely controlling his anger, and said "Back off. I worked for 35 years for presidents some of whom I liked and some I didn't like to ensure that you live in peace." He got flustered and walked away. We saw (and ignored) him later on in different locations on the ship almost always being loud and pushy - I guess he was just that type of person.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of him would you so the rest of us could avoid him like the plague.

You did handle the situation very well, I must say.

My mother in law is in her 80's. She's that way, not with me because I call her out on it. During the holidays she goes through the house, where ever we are, on the premise of looking at ALL the pretty things they have. Then talks about what a bad housekeeper they are. She did it once to me, I told her if it bothered her she could stay home and I would have her son bring her a plate of food. NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN!! For some reason I think all older people have no respect for others or shame. I tell my kids just shoot me if I get that way.. Happy cruising!!

Please don't paint ALL older people with such a broad brush. I'm older and I would NEVER act that way, nor would my friends. That said, I have run into folks of all different ages who act in a rude manner.......Unfortunately, rudeness has no age barrier!!!!

Please don't paint ALL older people with such a broad brush. I'm older and I would NEVER act that way, nor would my friends. That said, I have run into folks of all different ages who act in a rude manner.......Unfortunately, rudeness has no age barrier!!!!

The more I think about it, your right. Sorry. People are cut from a lot of different cloth. Age doesn't define rudeness. [emoji17]

It is unfortunate, but there are people who feel they are better than everyone else

This thread is reminding me so much of "Keeping Up Appearances," a British comedy series based on the antics (and rudeness) of a Hyancith Bucket (pronounced Bookay). For those in the UK, she represents the 5% who are rude and above all others in stature. In the US, well, we won't go there. It all depends on the state, I suppose.

So, I try to envision Hyacinth in any of those scenarios on the ship and just smile. Those people are certainly missing out on "LIFE" which should bring a smile to everyone. They are exempt.

I'd have put a mouse trap inside! That would have been priceless!

I think the "rudest cruise" I have taken was the Royal last January. There were some cranky folk on board. Much of it had to do with the elevators off the Atrium. My mom was mobility impaired. As she entered the elevator, a man snapped at her " If you run over my feet, I will sue you". My mom, who did not suffer fools gladly told him, "We shall see exactly what I will do to you". Needless to say, it was a very quiet elevator ride.

On this same cruise, a person who was Elite or staying in a suite had meltdown because she did NOT WANT THAT MINI BAR in her stateroom. She lost her stuff in the hall, and at the Passenger Services Desk. I ran into to her carrying the entire mini bar to the PSD where she dumped it.

Doesn't everyone enjoy a nice water???

Exhange for 2 coffee cards?

Donate it to some newlyweds?

It was stunning to watch.

So, my wife and I are in the piano bar, waiting to go into dinner, and a group of people coming out of the dining room walk by. I look up, and there's this guy with about a two foot strand of dental floss, flossing his teeth as he's walking through the ship! And this was on formal night. Nice.

Once, when we had our kids with us, my son (who was about 9) and I were in the buffet line. This guy stepped around us, and jumped back in line in front of my son. Then he put his open hand on my son's chest to push him back. I grab the guy by the wrist and said, "I'm pretty sure you don't want to touch my son. Now, you can either walk away, or I drop you right here." He walked away.

Like most folks, I could go on and on.

I had a guy who kept hitting my hand in the buffet on the QM2 in '04. I had ordered an omelet & was told by the staff person making it just said wait there. This guy hitting my hand kept saying.."move along!" I was about 50 & would say he was probably within 5 years of me either side. I told him to walk around me, which he wouldn't do for whatever reason.I warned him to stop & when he didn't, I did the old Moe Howard grab & twist nose! I brought him right to the floor & warned him if I had any more trouble with him, I'd drag him by his schnozz & throw him over board. Worked like a charm!

Hahaha! There's some great stuff here! I'm impressed with all the quick responses. I always think of the really good things to say after I've picked my jaw up off the ground and the moment is gone.

About 10 years ago, we went on a Princess cruise with some good friends. We chose late, traditional dining and were seated at a table for 8 with another couple and a single, female, middle-aged college professor of hyphen-studies.

As we were being served our first dinner, the professor began a rant revealing her low opinion of the POTUS. She called him names and said she did not know anyone who supported him.

We kept an uncomfortable silence. I knew our friends did not agree with her and did not feel this proper dinner conversation with new "friends".

After a few moments of silence, the man we didn't know spoke up. He informed the professor that the President and First Lady were friends of theirs. They had known them for nearly 20 years, had been guests at their ranch and had entertained them in their home. They knew them to be good, honorable people who did what they felt was best for the country not their legacy.

The professor never returned and if we noticed her around the ship, seemed to dissolve into the woodwork.

I have friends and relatives with whom I disagree on many issues. However, we understand there is a time for political discussion and a time to keep quiet.

I brought him right to the floor & warned him if I had any more trouble with him, I'd drag him by his schnozz & throw him over board. Worked like a charm!

That ought to do it!

I love the person who pushes your tray with his tray (back when they had trays, of course). One time, this guy kept slamming his tray into mine. I'd reach to get something, and then see my tray moving along the line. After about five or six 'bumps', I finally turned to him and said, "Back off!"

Probably the worst was watching a family of three (mom, dad, and young daughter) at breakfast go through the buffet. They would EACH take four and five of practically everything...yogurt, cartons of milk, bananas, boxes of cereal, etc. And then, after eating one of each, they'd just get up and leave the rest to be thrown away. They did this nearly everyday. Drove me crazy!

That ought to do it!

I love the person who pushes your tray with his tray (back when they had trays, of course). One time, this guy kept slamming his tray into mine. I'd reach to get something, and then see my tray moving along the line. After about five or six 'bumps', I finally turned to him and said, "Back off!"

Probably the worst was watching a family of three (mom, dad, and young daughter) at breakfast go through the buffet. They would EACH take four and five of practically everything...yogurt, cartons of milk, bananas, boxes of cereal, etc. And then, after eating one of each, they'd just get up and leave the rest to be thrown away. They did this nearly everyday. Drove me crazy!

I would have said something to them the second day. The thing that does work is publically shaming people. I've done that several times after seeing pax touching food with their hands(and disgustingly putting it back..ewwww!) You call them out on very loudly when others are around. Others will most definitely get involved(especially when their health is at risk)Being in the food industry, it totally disgusts me what some people do when they get to a buffet. My response to these pax would be "Stop wasting food & eat what you take!" Make sure others will hear you. As any ship buffet will be quite crowded, that should be easy. For those who say it could cause a fight..That's why you need to make sure other pax are well aware of the offending person/people & what they are doing to cause your reaction.

I have one that will blow you away. I sometimes carry a SMALL tote bag containing a needlepoint project' date=' some yarns, a pair of scissors...and sometimes add a book or whatever I might want while on deck. There is nothing special about this bag; I think it was a cosmetic company freebie several years ago and I like it because the vinyl wipes off easily. One late morning I was in one of the deck lounge chairs with my bag tucked under the small "snack table" next to the chair, quite out of the way. Two elderly ladies came over and literally started taking stuff out of my bag and commenting on it. I looked over and asked if they had a problem with my bag. One replied, "No, we just thought it was so interesting."

The didn't steal anything...literally just went thru it, commented on my needlework and my book, ultimately put everything back and went on their way. I turned to the friend next to me and basically said "What the heck?" Her comment was that beyond a certain age, people think they can do anything they wish.[/quote']

We wonder what they would have done if, when first seen removing articles from your tote, it was declared in a loud voice for all to hear "Unhand my purse, you thieves!!".

On Ventura cruise to Madeira just two weeks ago, my wife and me went up to breakfast and as luck would have it a couple were just vacating a double next to the window. As I looked around the breakfast room I saw a round table, the sort with a semi circle of cushions next to wall and a couple were sat at the table. He sat on an arm chair at one end of the semi circle, and she sat on an armchair at the other end of the circle. They had their coats books etc on another armchair between them. They were not going to let any other passengers on THEIR table. This is just as bad as towels on loungers. I was desperately looking for an opening to join them on THEIR table. Talk about dogs in a manger.

So why didn't you just ask in a nice way "is it ok if we join you?" Or ask " are these seats taken?" All you need to do is ask politely. That usually works for me and DW. Not a big deal as there are tables that vacate frequently.

We had a similar experience on the Caribbean Princess a few weeks ago. As usual, Horizons was very crowded for breakfast. One couple sitting at a table for four by the window ... just having coffee. DW DID ask (politely) "Are those seats taken?" The response from the woman at the table was "This is OUR table. I'm sure you can find some place else to sit."