Rude Passengers

sarasfw

I need to voice my apologies to the Japanese passengers. They are polite and orderly. I see them doing tours in Hawaii. Everyone lines up nicely and follows the leader. They have the tour and travel system down very well. It would be very embarrassing to them if they should cause anyone a concern.

My deepest and most humblest apologies for putting them in the "Asian" group of rude passengers.

Ah yes the Japanese tourists on the Arizona Memorial in Hawaii, personally I find them laughing and joking there totally distasteful.

I will not be apologising to those about anything, and they do cause a concern to many by their behaviour.

On the other hand I will not stereotype all of them either.

Ah yes the Japanese tourists on the Arizona Memorial in Hawaii, personally I find them laughing and joking there totally distasteful.

I will not be apologising to those about anything, and they do cause a concern to many by their behaviour.

On the other hand I will not stereotype all of them either.

I wasn't there with you so can't comment on the behavior you witnessed. But growing up in Hawaii and seeing that, for the longest time, the Japanese would not visit the Arizona Memorial because they were so ashamed of what Admiral Yamamoto did on December 7th. It took years (decades) of relationship building for them to step onto the Arizona Memorial Grounds. Personally, I can't imagine them being disrespectful to this memorial.

Displaced local girl

I wasn't there with you so can't comment on the behavior you witnessed. But growing up in Hawaii and seeing that, for the longest time, the Japanese would not visit the Arizona Memorial because they were so ashamed of what Admiral Yamamoto did on December 7th. It took years (decades) of relationship building for them to step onto the Arizona Memorial Grounds. Personally, I can't imagine them being disrespectful to this memorial.

Displaced local girl

I've been there twice and witnessed it on both occasions. We were warned about it in advance by our guide and were advised to just ignore it, which we did but it was difficult to do.

I don't think I had a unique experience there, I expect other visitors to the site have seen the same thing.

These were young people who seemed to treat it just as a tourist attraction and we were told they were probably unaware of the significance of the site to us, though how that can be with having the excellent Visitor Center to go to first I do not know. Maybe more signage there in Kanji might help?

With respect I would suggest that when you grew up in Hawaii was possibly some years ago and the Japanese tourists were different then.

I've been there twice and witnessed it on both occasions. We were warned about it in advance by our guide and were advised to just ignore it, which we did but it was difficult to do.

I don't think I had a unique experience there, I expect other visitors to the site have seen the same thing.

These were young people who seemed to treat it just as a tourist attraction and we were told they were probably unaware of the significance of the site to us, though how that can be with having the excellent Visitor Center to go to first I do not know. Maybe more signage there in Kanji might help?

With respect I would suggest that when you grew up in Hawaii was possibly some years ago and the Japanese tourists were different then.

Thank you for sharing. I agree that it must have been the "new" generation who are far removed from the history.

But then again, yes, I grew up in a time when respect, manners, politeness, honor, and integrity meant something.

Rudeness, today, crosses all barriers (race, age, culture, nationality...). I feel good about how I present myself; as do many on this thread. Thank goodness that "we" still outnumber the "other".

Yes, sometimes people will tend to treat that first few stations as a "line." However, if you want to pick up some bread at the first station and then some soup over across the room, it's silly to stand in a long line. I find that most experienced cruisers figure this out earlier in the voyage, and by the end of it there isn't a lot of queuing.

It always seems crazy to me that they have the soup at one end and the bread at the other. Why don't they put at least some bread next to the soup. It's so logical:rolleyes:

It always seems crazy to me that they have the soup at one end and the bread at the other. Why don't they put at least some bread next to the soup. It's so logical:rolleyes:

Because one begins with a 'b' and one begins with an 's'?;)

My alphabetic method puts the bread near the bacon though...:rolleyes:

Edited by SteveH2508

Because one begins with a 'b' and one begins with an 's'?;)

My alphabetic method puts the bread near the bacon though...:rolleyes:

yeah, that's really logical:rolleyes::rolleyes:

On our last cruise, we witnessed a person push a server out of the way almost causing her to spill her tray of drinks. We apologized to the server expressing we wished that had not happened to her. I bright smile came to her otherwise timid face. Sometimes just knowing there are those out there who are caring can undo all the rudeness. I tend to tolerate passenger rudeness to other passenges, but I will not tolerate those being rude to the men and women who leave their families for months to wait on all of us hand and foot.

I can tolerate another passenger's rudeness for us....we can handle it ourselves. But I can not and do not tolerate rudeness to a staff member who can not defend themselves for fear of getting in trouble.

On our last cruise we had a couple constantly make comments on how much we drank when DH and I drank a half bottle of wine at dinner! :eek:

When the rude lady yelled at the assistant waiter, yelling "left, left, left", when he was taking her dinner plate from the table, because he was squeezed between her chair and the wall and he was taking it from her right! She complained about him all the while slathering her breadstick (and her thumb) with butter, with her elbows on the table! :roll eyes:

But when she went to the maitre d to complain about the waiter, that was the last straw! The rest of us at the table went to the maitre d and explained the situation and told him we were very happy with the service we were receiving! We also went to both of our waiters and told them the same and apologized for our table mates!

I can tolerate another passenger's rudeness for us....we can handle it ourselves. But I can not and do not tolerate rudeness to a staff member who can not defend themselves for fear of getting in trouble.

On our last cruise we had a couple constantly make comments on how much we drank when DH and I drank a half bottle of wine at dinner! :eek:

When the rude lady yelled at the assistant waiter, yelling "left, left, left", when he was taking her dinner plate from the table, because he was squeezed between her chair and the wall and he was taking it from her right! She complained about him all the while slathering her breadstick (and her thumb) with butter, with her elbows on the table! :roll eyes:

But when she went to the maitre d to complain about the waiter, that was the last straw! The rest of us at the table went to the maitre d and explained the situation and told him we were very happy with the service we were receiving! We also went to both of our waiters and told them the same and apologized for our table mates!

Tablemates who are rude to staff are a deal breaker for us. It only happened once, but we went to the maitre d', explained what a great job our waiter was doing, and asked to be moved to another table. It was irritating that we were the ones who had to move instead of the rude people, but we couldn't continue to eat with people like that. We've also seen rude behavior to our wait staff at their other tables, and we've made a point of talking to the maitre d' about it.

Tablemates who are rude to staff are a deal breaker for us.

Yes, us too. On our second cruise, we ended up sitting in the same section of the restaurant for more than two thirds of our dinners even though we were on anytime dining - just one of those odd coincidences I guess. Anyway, on a few occasions we were seated with people who were unbearably rude to the waiters. I'd found out that one of the waiters spoke good French so I quietly spoke to him in French, calling these hideous people some choice names, apologising on behalf of the human race for these half wits and telling him that myself and my wife thought that he was doing a wonderful job. Luckily, the rude passengers didn't understand what we were saying - I suppose things could have got a little awkward if they'd have understood! After that, we shared jokes and comments about 'les porcs ignorants'!

Edited by wobblybob74

Ouch! :rolleyes:

Tom

Yes, that's me told.

I thought, correctly as it turned out, that joking about the matter in a language that we both spoke would create a solidarity. As it happened, the maitre d' commented to us that our waiter had made very positive comments about us. Yes, perhaps it was a bit off of us to refer to our table mates as ignorant pigs, but that's nothing compared to how they treated the waiters.

Tablemates who are rude to staff are a deal breaker for us. It only happened once, but we went to the maitre d', explained what a great job our waiter was doing, and asked to be moved to another table. It was irritating that we were the ones who had to move instead of the rude people, but we couldn't continue to eat with people like that. We've also seen rude behavior to our wait staff at their other tables, and we've made a point of talking to the maitre d' about it.

The incidences of rudeness to us during dinner by the rude, ignorant people were handled by us, by just turning our attention and conversations with the others at the table.

When she went to the maitre d' to complain about the waiter, that was about 27 days into what became a 29 day sailing (was supposed to be 28). I'm now wondering if they removed the gratuity from their account and were trying to come up with a justification to do that and to not tip at all?

I have to admit, we also had some bad experiences with Japanese tourists in Hawaii. Pearl Harbor wasn't too bad, but the Atlantis tour was awful. One woman in particular kept getting distracted and separated from her group. After the 3rd time cutting between DD and DGK's, my DD finally told her to back off!! I haven't seen too much on cruises, but I tend to just go with the flow unless its really in my face. I so agree about being polite and respectful to staff, no matter what position they hold.

LOL! I had to tell a lady to "back off" at Disney while waiting for the tram to the parking lot. She was standing so close to me, that she was touching me. I would turn to look at her and move a step away and sure enough, she would move up close to me, again touching me. Finally after this little "dance" occurred 5 times, I fully turned around and told her to "back off"!! :p

LOL! I had to tell a lady to "back off" at Disney while waiting for the tram to the parking lot. She was standing so close to me, that she was touching me. I would turn to look at her and move a step away and sure enough, she would move up close to me, again touching me. Finally after this little "dance" occurred 5 times, I fully turned around and told her to "back off"!! :p

I hate it when people crowd me and especially when on holidays, with pick pockets and all that.

My DH suffered from a nerve disease that was so painful that it changed his personality on a daily basis.

He would become angry at everyone he encountered and I would try and intercede before the poor souls came in contact with him.

He was truly a lovely man but when he was in pain, the whole world suffered.

I would feel so badly for him because I knew what was going on, the public did not. But, if they came close to him in an elevator, at the market, standing in line or on an airplane he would "bark" at them in an angry tone. He loved to travel but it was becoming increasingly more and more difficult for him and for me to watch him.

He recently passed away but not before he terrorized every nurse and doctor in the hospital.

So, next time someone "barks" at you or you see them acting badly towards someone else, it may not be something they really mean but something that is happening to them and they can't help it! My husbands illness taught me a lot and gave me great insight into human behavior. It may not be a good excuse for poor behavior but it may be an explanation.

I wish I could apologize to EVERYONE who had to bear witness to my DH's rages and pray that I NEVER have to experience such sadness again!

Dear Wizard of Ros,

We are so very sorry to read of your loss. The pain in your words is very evident. We had met him and your hero dog a few years back on a Princess cruise maybe the Sapphire but without looking it u[ not sure. We spent some time with him and (sorry I can't recall the lovely dog's name without digging out old posts) we sat with him on a couple of occasions.

I am getting somewhat older myself but instead of forgetting things, I tend to remember too many things. And I remember both your husband and the dog very well. A nice friendly man to talk to. We spent some time with both. He was very proud of you and of course the four footed hero. We are sort of dog people, Gerdie above.

I somewhat skipped from your post to the end here to get this in and will try catch up on it latter or as I can.

There is nothing wrong with memories.:)

All of these postings about rude/entitled/arrogant people made me think of a keynote speaker I once heard at a conference. He was talking about people who were full of themselves, and his comment is one that stuck with me.

"No matter how important you think you are, the number of people at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather that day."

Dear Wizard of Ros,

We are so very sorry to read of your loss. The pain in your words is very evident. We had met him and your hero dog a few years back on a Princess cruise maybe the Sapphire but without looking it u[ not sure. We spent some time with him and (sorry I can't recall the lovely dog's name without digging out old posts) we sat with him on a couple of occasions.

I am getting somewhat older myself but instead of forgetting things, I tend to remember too many things. And I remember both your husband and the dog very well. A nice friendly man to talk to. We spent some time with both. He was very proud of you and of course the four footed hero. We are sort of dog

people, Gerdie above.

I somewhat skipped from your post to the end here to get this in and will try catch up on it latter or as I can.

There is nothing wrong with memories.:)

Thank you so much for your kind recollection. The dog you met was my first Service Dog, "Brenda", she was pure joy in mine and Morey's life. She and he became even closer after she retired at 11 years.

He was happiest when she was with him, they spent lots of quality time, at home, together. She passed 10 months after him at age 14. They truly loved each other.

Dogs are amazing beings. Brenda worked for me but gave Morey a reason to smile and brought him great joy!

All of these postings about rude/entitled/arrogant people made me think of a keynote speaker I once heard at a conference. He was talking about people who were full of themselves, and his comment is one that stuck with me.

"No matter how important you think you are, the number of people at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather that day."

Ohh, I gotta write that one down. I like it a lot!

Tom

On our last cruise there was a woman on an excursion with us who pulled a large sex toy out of her purse and for the rest of the trip talked to it loudly, pushed it in people's faces and acted like a moron. Finally someone got really mad and words were exchanged but she would not put it away. I'm just glad there were no children on the excursion asking "What is that? "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On our last cruise there was a woman on an excursion with us who pulled a large sex toy out of her purse and for the rest of the trip talked to it loudly, pushed it in people's faces and acted like a moron.

What did she say to it?