Rude Passengers

sarasfw

with regards to the elevator etiquette debate. Disability can be invisible. I don't look disabled however I have ME. Sometimes I can take the stairs usually I cannot. I may be standing waiting for the elevator, if it opens in front of me I would of course wait for anyone wishing to exit to do so, I will enter and hold the door for anyone who also wants to enter. What I will not do is wait for anyone to enter ahead of me unless, for instance, I have just arrived as the elevator gets there and others have been waiting. If we have all got there at the same time and the doors open in front of me I will get in (I am not saying I WILL get in at any cost just I will step in the elevator) Now an elderly or disabled person may also be waiting for the same elevator and I would as I have said hold the door for them but I might look rude to them as I appear fit and healthy and have entered the elevator ahead of them but inside I am not. So not all those who appear fit are. I am not advocating pushing in, not letting those in the elevator exit, holding the doors to let others enter or other similar behaviours but be aware not all disabilities can be seen.

with regards to the elevator etiquette debate. Disability can be invisible. I don't look disabled however I have ME. Sometimes I can take the stairs usually I cannot. I may be standing waiting for the elevator, if it opens in front of me I would of course wait for anyone wishing to exit to do so, I will enter and hold the door for anyone who also wants to enter. What I will not do is wait for anyone to enter ahead of me unless, for instance, I have just arrived as the elevator gets there and others have been waiting. If we have all got there at the same time and the doors open in front of me I will get in (I am not saying I WILL get in at any cost just I will step in the elevator) Now an elderly or disabled person may also be waiting for the same elevator and I would as I have said hold the door for them but I might look rude to them as I appear fit and healthy and have entered the elevator ahead of them but inside I am not. So not all those who appear fit are. I am not advocating pushing in, not letting those in the elevator exit, holding the doors to let others enter or other similar behaviours but be aware not all disabilities can be seen.

Precisely why I walk with a 90lb Black Lab-Service Dog. He certainly lets everyone know that there's something different about me, by his presence alone. Although, Horton, my Service Dog can do many, many tasks for me and goes wherever I go [we are NEVER separated], he has been taught to NOT be rude!

He will be on the cruise with me and we will use our very best manners at all times!

Although, there may be times when we're rushing off to the cabin so that Horton can have his dinner, a snack or to just go potty......we sometimes will ignore everyone so that his comfort is met in a timely fashion. We apologize a head of time if we seem as if we're ignoring you.....We're not, sometimes we're in a bigger hurry than other times. Please forgive us!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Poster meant just one line to go around the entire buffet.

The Horizon Court has a number of food stations, so there is not a single line for all of the food.

Thank you. That's exactly what I meant. But of course they are still buffets.

By the way, the Royal and Regal Princess ships have the best buffet layout I've seen on ANY ship. (And the best service I have encountered in a buffet.)

And since this is a thread on "rude passengers", I suppose we have been lucky. We have very rarely encountered those rude passengers, especially on Princess ships.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

Poster meant just one line to go around the entire buffet.

The Horizon Court has a number of food stations, so there is not a single line for all of the food.

In my experience, part of HC often does function as a single line setup. I have found that from the entrance point to down past the entrees is often a single line and people can be resentful of someone wanting to revisit this section. The island and desert sections are truly an individual station setup.

In my experience, part of HC often does function as a single line setup. I have found that from the entrance point to down past the entrees is often a single line and people can be resentful of someone wanting to revisit this section. The island and desert sections are truly an individual station setup.

Yes, sometimes people will tend to treat that first few stations as a "line." However, if you want to pick up some bread at the first station and then some soup over across the room, it's silly to stand in a long line. I find that most experienced cruisers figure this out earlier in the voyage, and by the end of it there isn't a lot of queuing.

Absolutely true. I use a Rollator walking frame, and wear glasses, but there is no visible sign of my osteo-porosis or asthma which also affect my mobility at times.

Yes, sometimes people will tend to treat that first few stations as a "line." However, if you want to pick up some bread at the first station and then some soup over across the room, it's silly to stand in a long line. I find that most experienced cruisers figure this out earlier in the voyage, and by the end of it there isn't a lot of queuing.

I suppose it is the rude ones that do not queue when they should and just barge in without request.:(

Precisely why I walk with a 90lb Black Lab-Service Dog. He certainly lets everyone know that there's something different about me, by his presence alone. Although, Horton, my Service Dog can do many, many tasks for me and goes wherever I go [we are NEVER separated], he has been taught to NOT be rude!

He will be on the cruise with me and we will use our very best manners at all times!

Although, there may be times when we're rushing off to the cabin so that Horton can have his dinner, a snack or to just go potty......we sometimes will ignore everyone so that his comfort is met in a timely fashion. We apologize a head of time if we seem as if we're ignoring you.....We're not, sometimes we're in a bigger hurry than other times. Please forgive us!

How do you deal with Horton's potty needs? Such a big dog, where does he "go"?

I agree. Early in the cruise, however, some will give you a dirty look (as though you are cutting ahead) if you move out of the single line to another station. I wish Princess would place a large sign at the entrance for the newbies advising them of the setup. This might avoid any hard feelings or potential negative comments among passengers over the matter.

I tried to do that....I said, "excuse me, I just want to grab one more XXXX" and this man yelled at me!! :mad:

One day we were late getting back on the ship from a shore excursion and missed our early seating in the MDR so we decided we would both have a hamburger up on the deck. No one was there as we got to the grill so we each ordered and the guy working the grill said to have a seat and he would call us when they were ready.

Before too long two or three more people showed up and ordered their food and waited at the grill. The first guy didn't have to wait long as our burgers came up and while the grill guy was calling us over the first guy picked one up and proceeded to leave with it. The grill guy quickly told him that they were ours and his would be a few more minutes. By then we were there telling him the same thing. I can't fault him initially as we weren't standing there but it changed from an honest mistake to a dishonest Jerk when he smirked "you can have mine when it is ready and left with it".

I slowly ate my hamburger and was getting close to being finished by the time my wife showed up with hers so I watched her eat her hamburger. So much for our change from the usual MDR for dinner.

To me a seven week cruise doesn't seem like the best place to tick off your fellow passengers! Every time we saw him after that we joked between us about the "Hamburgaler" but we took the high road and didn't try to embarrass him to get even. He and his wife were even on a shore excursion that we were on about a week later but he didn't appear to even recognize us.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

One day we were late getting back on the ship from a shore excursion and missed our early seating in the MDR so we decided we would both have a hamburger up on the deck. No one was there as we got to the grill so we each ordered and the guy working the grill said to have a seat and he would call us when they were ready.

Before too long two or three more people showed up and ordered their food and waited at the grill. The first guy didn't have to wait long as our burgers came up and while the grill guy was calling us over the first guy picked one up and proceeded to leave with it. The grill guy quickly told him that they were ours and his would be a few more minutes. By then we were there telling him the same thing. I can't fault him initially as we weren't standing there but it changed from an honest mistake to a dishonest Jerk when he smirked "you can have mine when it is ready and left with it".

I slowly ate my hamburger and was getting close to being finished by the time my wife showed up with hers so I watched her eat her hamburger. So much for our change from the usual MDR for dinner.

To me a seven week cruise doesn't seem like the best place to tick off your fellow passengers! Every time we saw him after that we joked between us about the "Hamburgaler" but we took the high road and didn't try to embarrass him to get even. He and his wife were even on a shore excursion that we were on about a week later but he didn't appear to even recognize us.

Terry

LOL, should have arrested him and said you were Officer Big Mac.:p

How do you deal with Horton's potty needs? Such a big dog, where does he "go"?

When I first started cruising with a Service Dog in 2005 [my first dog Brenda had finished her 15th cruise before she passed last year] the cruise ships were pretty lame in where the Service Dog would relieve himself.

Over the years, with the help of myself and a few other cruisers, the cruise ships have gotten smarter and smarter. Although each line does it a bit differently in what they use as the "potty box" and where they place it, they are all becoming more and more cognizant of the importance of it all.

Princess places the box in a stairwell, near my cabin [my personal choice.] The box is made of wood [remember, each cruise line has a wood working dept. below deck], they create a 5x5 wooden box, with a 4-6 inch lip. The box is lined with heavy duty plastic and filled with cedar mulch, wood shavings, grass sod or paper pellets. I bring waste bags with me and pick up the solids, dispose it into a container and it's removed daily. The filler is changed every few days and the other passengers aren't even aware of it being there.

Some cruise lines will place the box in an out-of-the-way place on a specific deck or, if I have a suite on my veranda.

I prefer that the box is placed in a stairwell, near my cabin. This wouldn't work for someone in a wheelchair because the stairwell doors are extremely heavy and there is a small step that has to be maneuvered. This area gives me the freedom of going in my PJ's and soon my dog becomes accustomed to going to the specific door after the first day.

I always have a very nice tip for my cabin Steward because my dog and I like to keep everything in our environment as clean as possible.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Yep. I do agree that Princess should make it more clear that there are stations and not just one long line.

Not disagreeing here but even with the various stations, there are lines, albeit a bit shorter. Sometimes people will jump right into the front of those lines.:(

Terry

You should have followed him to his table and just stood there and picked your nose.

Edited by TFM70

When I first started cruising with a Service Dog in 2005 [my first dog Brenda had finished her 15th cruise before she passed last year] the cruise ships were pretty lame in where the Service Dog would relieve himself.

Over the years, with the help of myself and a few other cruisers, the cruise ships have gotten smarter and smarter. Although each line does it a bit differently in what they use as the "potty box" and where they place it, they are all becoming more and more cognizant of the importance of it all.

Princess places the box in a stairwell, near my cabin [my personal choice.] The box is made of wood [remember, each cruise line has a wood working dept. below deck], they create a 5x5 wooden box, with a 4-6 inch lip. The box is lined with heavy duty plastic and filled with cedar mulch, wood shavings, grass sod or paper pellets. I bring waste bags with me and pick up the solids, dispose it into a container and it's removed daily. The filler is changed every few days and the other passengers aren't even aware of it being there.

Some cruise lines will place the box in an out-of-the-way place on a specific deck or, if I have a suite on my veranda.

I prefer that the box is placed in a stairwell, near my cabin. This wouldn't work for someone in a wheelchair because the stairwell doors are extremely heavy and there is a small step that has to be maneuvered. This area gives me the freedom of going in my PJ's and soon my dog becomes accustomed to going to the specific door after the first day.

I always have a very nice tip for my cabin Steward because my dog and I like to keep everything in our environment as clean as possible.

That's great!! So glad they can accommodate the service angels!! :)

Thanks for sharing!

I need to voice my apologies to the Japanese passengers. They are polite and orderly. I see them doing tours in Hawaii. Everyone lines up nicely and follows the leader. They have the tour and travel system down very well. It would be very embarrassing to them if they should cause anyone a concern.

My deepest and most humblest apologies for putting them in the "Asian" group of rude passengers.

On our last cruise, we witnessed a person push a server out of the way almost causing her to spill her tray of drinks. We apologized to the server expressing we wished that had not happened to her. I bright smile came to her otherwise timid face. Sometimes just knowing there are those out there who are caring can undo all the rudeness. I tend to tolerate passenger rudeness to other passenges, but I will not tolerate those being rude to the men and women who leave their families for months to wait on all of us hand and foot.