Skype on Princess?

FlCatLover

I just figured out how to use Skype on my phone and wonder if you can use Skype on the Island Princess? I know you would need to buy internet minutes. Which would be more cost effective to make a quick call on board, Skype or cell phone? I would definitely keep it to a minimum but have a mother in a memory care unit who is used to me checking in daily. I could probably get away with every other day as she wouldn't remember, and would call from ports in Alaska but there could be one or two times I'd need to call to check in from the ship.

I don't think you could even get the bandwidth for an audio call, much less a Skype video call. The internet service is satellite and can be painfully slow depending on the ship's position, weather, etc. The only thing I really use it for is checking emails and printing an airline boarding pass when i travel by plane to the port.

I would stick to doing your skype calls during a port stop and if you need to make a quick call while you are at sea use your cell phone.

Skype will be dependent on internet availability which is not guaranteed.

Then, there is the problem of bandwidth. This can make the connection essentially unusable.

So, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

If the call truly is quick it will not cost much to use your cell phone. Probably less than the minutes with a slow connection cost to use SKYPE.

Last I heard it was $2.49 a minute (I am sure people will be all over me in a heartbeat if that number is wrong). So for 5 minutes it would cost $12 and some change. If making the call is important, use your phone, spend a few bucks and make the call.

I'm being technical (and anal-retentive) here, but BANDWIDTH is not the problem for a "phone" call, latency is. Normal VoIP design is 150ms max end-to-end delay, while at-sea Internet is likely 500ms just ship-to-shore, plus any terrestrial delays etc.

I'm being technical (and anal-retentive) here, but BANDWIDTH is not the problem for a "phone" call, latency is. Normal VoIP design is 150ms max end-to-end delay, while at-sea Internet is likely 500ms just ship-to-shore, plus any terrestrial delays etc.

I have used skype voice-only on quite a few princess cruises, and

it has worked well for me. I choose times when I think few passengers

are online.

While I have noticed the delay -- it has not been a problem. It is

much like using a radio.

Speak.

Pause.

Wait for response.

Speak again.

See, this is why i am a functional consultant and not technical ;) Bottom line in functional terms....the internet on board is freakin' slow...use your cell phone to make your call and don't talk forever :D

I just figured out how to use Skype on my phone and wonder if you can use Skype on the Island Princess? I know you would need to buy internet minutes. Which would be more cost effective to make a quick call on board, Skype or cell phone? I would definitely keep it to a minimum but have a mother in a memory care unit who is used to me checking in daily. I could probably get away with every other day as she wouldn't remember, and would call from ports in Alaska but there could be one or two times I'd need to call to check in from the ship.

Yes you can Skype on Princess. We do every cruise. Is it a great connection? No, but it will suffice. Late at night (after 10) is usually a bad time as crew are doing the same.

A cell call can get really expensive.

Last I heard it was $2.49 a minute (I am sure people will be all over me in a heartbeat if that number is wrong). So for 5 minutes it would cost $12 and some change. If making the call is important, use your phone, spend a few bucks and make the call.
Not all over you ;), but prices do vary, I know Verizon is 1.79 per minute for ships and T mobile can be as high as 5.99 per minute. OP should check with her provider for the rates that apply to her plan and phone.

I was successful in downloading and using the Vonage app on my iPhone and found using it very easy onboard the Coral P. recently in Alaska. You do need to have an internet package and I did watch my time on it. I really didn't find the internet speed to be as slow as I found in the past. There are other apps that do the same thing. It was an easy way to keep in touch on sea/glacier days when we weren't in port. I also used it in the Vancouver airport using their wifi.

Not all over you ;), but prices do vary, I know Verizon is 1.79 per minute for ships and T mobile can be as high as 5.99 per minute. OP should check with her provider for the rates that apply to her plan and phone.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the $2.49 just what the ship charges per minute. Isn't there an additional charge from the wireless carrier?

• 1 year later...
Anyone know what Skype charges (in addition to ship wifi) per minute for a call back to the US? Thanks.

:confused::confused::confused:

There is a fee to have the Skype app on your phone? I thought you can use a wifi connection to Skype with any other user anywhere in the world.

If I am completely mistaken, may I suggest WhatsApp instead. Totally free worldwide wifi texting, audio and video calls between any two devices that have their free app installed.

Skype with video worked well for us during off-peak times. Before 6AM and after 12PM. We even used it to call our daughter (with video) who was in Hong Kong and it worked really well, albeit it was midnight aboard the ship and she had a wired network connection on her end.

Yes there is more of a delay but it's still very useable - off peak.

During peak times when the link is presumably saturated or when the connection quality is poor to begin with it's tough to even check your email much less try a VOIP call.

I plan to use Verizon while on shore utilizing their International "Travelpass". For most Caribbean countries the fee is $10 per 24hr period EXTRA and you use your own plan minutes / texts etc. Supposedly St. Thomas is included with your domestic plan already and therefore no additional charges. We have done this in Mexico and there it truly was just $2 additional per 24 Hrs.

I do say "supposedly" because I will be checking my billing as we go and turn my phone off if something is fishy or it's not showing up on my account. I don't want any surprises...

Skype with video worked well for us during off-peak times. Before 6AM and after 12PM.

Since the OP's parent is in a care facility, that would be practical only if ship time between midnight and 6 AM is at a decent hour in the time zone the care facility is located.

A call reaching the care facility at it's local time of 3 AM would not be a good idea.

We've successfully used our cell service and FaceTime while in St Thomas. We've been told it will work in any U.S. Territory. That includes Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and American Samoa. Planning to FaceTime our granddaughter from St Thomas to wish her a happy 5th birthday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't had the pleasure of cruising since 2012, but when we were on board the Ruby we used a couple of nacent VOIP apps for iPad which were new on the market at the time. One of them was called Bobsled (its now Presto by Bobsled) and the other was called Talkatone. At the time, these both allowed free calling to U.S. phone numbers. Both apps seem to be available in the iTunes App store, but they are infrequently updated.

The calls were not video. Our experience with the calls through these apps was acceptable. There was some latency (delay from when we spoke till the recipient of the call heard us and replied), but it was acceptable and voice quality was quite good.

I would presume that if you did Skype calling and it was audio only, you shouldn't have any issues making a quick call to check in. But you may want to look into other voip utilities depending on the device you plan on using to make your call (iPhone, iPad, laptop) and how much you want to spend on VOIP calling that is in addition to the on board Internet access charges. Ideally nobody should be paying anymore for VOIP calling to landlines, so free calling is what you really want to be shooting for.

On the Royal TA just after dry dock this year, the Wi-Fi network showed as Skype Wi-Fi. When I questioned the personnel in the Internet Cafe, they knew nothing about it.

We use both WhatsApp and xfinity Connect for making Wi-Fi calls onboard. xfinity Connect is a free app for Comcast customers. The only issue we have experienced is an occasional slight delay.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

PHPeYfg8ePCQ4CeKGe6Ml3FfsQpwaK.png