Sleeping w balcony propped open during Med cruise

I've always slept w the door open a crack as I love the white noise of the water... If it's too hot inside, has anyone actually slept on their balcony??

I have several free apps on my iPad with all sorts of white noise wave sounds. I pick one that reminds me of ship cutting through the ocean, set the timer for 2 hours, and drift off to sleep every single night at home.

I also use these apps while on cruises, even when I have a balcony, because you're not supposed to leave the door open -- ever. It's a safety issue.

It is my understanding that if you turn off the master switch, (on the wall near the cabin door) besides turning all the lights off in the cabin it also turns the air off. This is why you should use the individual light switches and not the master.

Ok- thank you- good to know

Well then, based on the way people DO complain about every little thing that can happen around here... And considering that no one has come on here and reported that their room was too warm because someone else's balcony door was open... I have no reason to believe that it has any measurable affect on other staterooms at all.

How would anyone know that the reason their room was warm was because someone else's balcony door was open?

Many years ago I used to sleep with the balcony door open not knowing any better. Once a bird flew inside my cabin and knocked itself out against the walls. After about 15 minutes it came to and I picked it up and let it go outside. Do folks not know the ships are powerwashed mostly at night? Yes.....water can get into your cabin if your door is open. Water, bugs, birds, trash or anything else. Guess nobody read about the fire on Princess as a result of a butt thrown from an upper deck that blew back onto someone's balcony and landed in a pile of clothes on a balcony chair. Fire spread INSIDE the ship because someone left their balcony door open and their curtains caught fire. All downhill after that....like 60 something cabin burned. I've heard numerous crew advising folks to keep the door closed at night. I can totally understand why. Problem nowadays is too many idiots who think that because they are on vacation they can do whatever they please. I don't need to see anything in writing.....I've heard it numerous times and have seen the bad effects. Want to listen to the waves? Buy a noise machine!

Many years ago I used to sleep with the balcony door open not knowing any better. Once a bird flew inside my cabin and knocked itself out against the walls. After about 15 minutes it came to and I picked it up and let it go outside. Do folks not know the ships are powerwashed mostly at night? Yes.....water can get into your cabin if your door is open. Water, bugs, birds, trash or anything else. Guess nobody read about the fire on Princess as a result of a butt thrown from an upper deck that blew back onto someone's balcony and landed in a pile of clothes on a balcony chair. Fire spread INSIDE the ship because someone left their balcony door open and their curtains caught fire. All downhill after that....like 60 something cabin burned. I've heard numerous crew advising folks to keep the door closed at night. I can totally understand why. Problem nowadays is too many idiots who think that because they are on vacation they can do whatever they please. I don't need to see anything in writing.....I've heard it numerous times and have seen the bad effects. Want to listen to the waves? Buy a noise machine!

If that was true you would be warned to get everything off your balcony. After many cruises can't recall ever being told that ship would be washed at night. It would never happen if the ship was underway regardless

Excellent! But you're dealing with a bunch of goody-two-shoes uptight judgmental types around here who live to whine and complain...:cool:

Actually, it's many of us who are dealing with law/rule breakers who don't give a tinker's damn about anyone but themselves. :rolleyes:

If that was true you would be warned to get everything off your balcony. After many cruises can't recall ever being told that ship would be washed at night. It would never happen if the ship was underway regardless

Actually there is no need to warn people to get everything off your balcony because they warn you not to put anything on your balcony to begin with.

Even if everything might be said already I would like to argue this issue slightly different:

The air con tries to cool down the room to an individual temperature set by the guest. This usually is a very low temperature for guests from America or Asia. Experts advise is to keep all rooms (and cars) constantly on a comfortable temperature around 72 degrees. For me it is strange to cool down a room to 60 degrees in summer if it is 90 outside. Most people I now always get a bad cold if this happens in hotels or offices.

Anyway, if warm and humid air continues to come into the stateroom from outside the air con has to try harder and constantly but it is not able to reach it`s goal of a steady low temperature. This additional workload requires a lot of energy.

If this happens in many rooms on a large ship it has a significant impact on wasting energy and overlading a sensitive system that might collapse or shut down sooner or later.

Actually, it's many of us who are dealing with law/rule breakers who don't give a tinker's damn about anyone but themselves. :rolleyes:

Hey MSgt "Out To Sea" (I see your Avatar)! Are you retired Air Force??? I am a retired MSgt myself - 20 Years! :cool:

constantly on a comfortable temperature around 72 degrees. For me it is strange to cool down a room to 60 degrees in summer if it is 90 outside. Most people I now always get a bad cold if this happens in hotels or offices.

Oh good. Let's continue to perpetuate the silliest of old wives tales. Now rhinovirus is created by changing temperatures. Brilliant....

Breaking the LAW? LOL!

If you have comprehend the post correctly, I stated law/rule breakers (the slash means either if you didn't know that) but in my opinion, most rule breakers are also the law breakers in the world because they believe rules/laws (that slash means either again) don't apply to them. So yes, the person who knowingly violates rules such as leaving their balcony door open (rule breaker) is most likely the same person driving 5-20 mph over the speed limit as well (law breaker).

Yep! When I read the title of the thread a few days ago, I would have never thought it would take the turn it did! So Yep you are right.....SO CC! :D

The op was asking how to delete it she was upset in the way it was headed.

Oh good. Let's continue to perpetuate the silliest of old wives tales. Now rhinovirus is created by changing temperatures. Brilliant....

And you received your HVAC engineering degree where? :rolleyes:

Then again, it doesn't even matter as it is specifically stated at every balcony door to leave the door closed. The fact that RCCL (and others) says "Please" simply means they are just trying to be nice about it.......not that it is optional.

And you received your HVAC engineering degree where? :rolleyes:

And you received your medical degree where??? :rolleyes:

Colds are caused by a virus, not by entering a cold environment. That is a medical thing, not an HVAC thing.