Coffee Card Gelato on Ruby?

villager13

Does the specialty coffee card cover gelato on the Ruby? We are giving some coffee cards as a surprise gift and wondered if it tells on the card that it will cover gelato. We won't have any contact with them after they receive the cards in their cabin so were hoping it showed what the cards cover. If so, where can you find gelato on the Ruby? :)

We don't want to say anything ahead of time to them since it will be a surprise. :eek:

Does the specialty coffee card cover gelato on the Ruby? We are giving some coffee cards as a surprise gift and wondered if it tells on the card that it will cover gelato. We won't have any contact with them after they receive the cards in their cabin so were hoping it showed what the cards cover. If so, where can you find gelato on the Ruby? :)

We don't want to say anything ahead of time to them since it will be a surprise. :eek:

I think it does . It will require one or two punches.

3 nice size scoops in International Cafe

And it would be a good idea to let them know to expect the cards, in case they don't show up (it happens).

Why not give them a sealed envelope with instructions not to open until they are on the ship?

Edited by JF - retired RRT

My experience has been that coffee card punches are only usable at Gelato's on the Royal & Regal.

It was not usable at the IC on the Ruby's sister ship the Crown for gelato which cost $1.50 for 3 scoops. Gelato's cost $3.50 for 3 scoops (bowl or waffle cone) or a sundae so a card punch there is cost-effective for passengers. A card punch costs $2.22 (including the coffee card tip) so you'd pay more when using it on the Ruby.

Obviously that procedure could vary just like other coffee card usage at the IC. As I recall it was very frequent Princess cruiser 'PescadoAmarillo' who talked to a Food & Beverage manager who said the price difference ($3.50 vs $1.50) is because it's true gelato on Royal-class ships & ice cream on ships that have it at the IC.

My experience has been that coffee card punches are only usable at Gelato's on the Royal & Regal.

It was not usable at the IC on the Ruby's sister ship the Crown for gelato which cost $1.50 for 3 scoops. Gelato's cost $3.50 for 3 scoops (bowl or waffle cone) or a sundae so a card punch there is cost-effective for passengers. A card punch costs $2.22 (including the coffee card tip) so you'd pay more when using it on the Ruby.

Obviously that procedure could vary just like other coffee card usage at the IC. As I recall it was very frequent Princess cruiser 'PescadoAmarillo' who talked to a Food & Beverage manager who said the price difference ($3.50 vs $1.50) is because it's true gelato on Royal-class ships & ice cream on ships that have it at the IC.

Thats our experience as well, only the Royal/Regal. But things could always change.

And it would be a good idea to let them know to expect the cards, in case they don't show up (it happens).

Why not give them a sealed envelope with instructions not to open until they are on the ship?

Excellent idea, I always bring my receipts but didn't know what to do for a gift:D

It was not usable at the IC on the Ruby's sister ship the Crown for gelato which cost $1.50 for 3 scoops. The price difference ($3.50 vs $1.50) is because it's true gelato on Royal-class ships & ice cream on ships that have it at the IC.

Never been on the Ruby, but we were on the Emerald in March and I am pretty sure that was the ship on which we had gelato and it cost 1 punch. Whether it was "real" gelato or not (that is what the sign said) or ice cream...it was pretty good.

Last month on Emerald Princess, we were told by the server that neither the coffee card nor the all-inclusive beverage card could be used for gelato at the International Cafe.

That's what I've experienced on that class of ship and have read that at Gelato's (Royal & Regal) passengers were able to have it included with the AIBP in addition to using a coffee card punch for those without the AIBP.

Edited by Astro Flyer

You could instead buy a Princess Cruises Gift Card for them. You can buy them online and either order a plastic card to be mailed or better, a digital gift card emailed to them almost immediately, (or at the time and date you specify). That way, they KNOW it's from you, YOU know when it is received and viewed in their email, and they can use it on board for whatever delightful decadent treat they choose!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gelato

Type

Ice cream

Place of origin

Sicily, Italy

Serving temperature

Cold

Main ingredients

Milk, cream, sugar, flavoring ingredient (e.g. – fruit or nut puree)

Cookbook: Gelato Media: Gelato

Gelato (Italian pronunciation: [dʒeˈlaːto]; plural: gelati) is the Italian word for ice cream, derived from the Latin word "gelātus" (meaning frozen). In English this word commonly refers to varieties of ice cream made in a traditional Italian style. Gelato can be made with milk, cream, various sugars, and flavoring such as fresh fruit and nut purees. It is generally lower in calories, fat and sugar than other styles of ice cream.[1]

Gelato is a type of soft ice cream containing a relatively small amount of air.[2] By statute, gelato in Italy must have at least 3.5% butterfat, with no upper limit established.

The sugar content in homemade gelato, as in other styles of ice cream, is balanced with the water content to act as an anti-freeze to prevent it from freezing solid. Types of sugar used include sucrose, dextrose, and inverted sugar to control apparent sweetness. Typically, gelato—like any other ice cream—needs a stabilizing base. Egg yolks are used in yellow custard-based gelato flavors, including zabaione and creme caramel, and non-fat milk solids are also added to gelato to stabilize the base. Starches and gums, especially corn starch, are sometimes also used to thicken and stabilize the mix.

In the United States there is no standard of definition for gelato set forth by the United States Food and Drug Administration, as there is for ice cream.[3] Whereas ice cream in the U.S. is defined by the Federal Code both by its ingredients, which includes milk fat (also known as butterfat) of 10% or more, gelato in the U.S. covers a wide range of products including frozen desserts eaten like ice cream; products that are identical to ice cream with the exception of their butterfat contents; and premium ice cream containing butterfat far exceeding the minimums set forth in Italy.

Edited by Stevesan

It's funny you suggested that. I sent them a card in the mail that said on the envelope not to open until they get on the ship. Inside I told them about the coffee cards and put a speciality coffee menu in it. I didn't know about the gelato when I sent it so I wondered how they would know that it covers gelato which they both love! They are going to be on the Ruby.

It's funny you suggested that. I sent them a card in the mail that said on the envelope not to open until they get on the ship. Inside I told them about the coffee cards and put a speciality coffee menu in it. I didn't know about the gelato when I sent it so I wondered how they would know that it covers gelato which they both love! They are going to be on the Ruby.

Don't count on gelato being covered by the coffee card. In any event, it's a lovely gift.

• 1 year later...
If so, where can you find gelato on the Ruby? :)

:eek:

In case it's not clear above and someone still needs to know...

The gelato is available on the Ruby at the International Cafe off to the side of the Piazza on Deck 5 midship. My account shows $1.73 for the $1.50 three-scoop serving of gelato. (Gratuity added?) It was delicious and there were intriguing flavours available.

I can't comment on the coffee card as it wasn't a sensible purchase for us.

The International Cafe also served no-charge desserts, salads and sandwiches. Great spot for people watching. We got a great view of the paper airplane contest in the Piazza.

We were on ruby a few days ago, it will cost you 3 punches if you want to use your coffee card, othwise it's $1.50.

Wow, $6 worth of punches for $1.50 worth of gelato.

I suspect the person doing the punches did not understand how to do it properly.

And even one punch (worth more than $2) costs more than the $1.50 for the gelato.

We have used the coffee card on the Ruby for gelato. Cost us 1 punch. As prior poster mentioned it's actually a poor use of your card unless you have punches you'll never use otherwise. I would normally just pay the 1.50 for the gelato and reserve the coffe card for much higher priced coffee drinks

I was also surprised by this, but the staff there insisted that's their new policy. So I went to guest service next day when no other guest was in line to confirm. The guy there was great, he didn't have the answer, but tracked down the food and beverage manager. So the new policy is one punch for one scoop. If you are paying cash, it's still $1.50 for 3 scoops. Don't if this is fleetwide, just reporting what I experienced.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Forums mobile app

It just doesn't make sense to use a Coffee Card punch (or three [emoji33][emoji33]) on the Crown, Emerald or Ruby to get gelato that costs $1.50, unless you will never take another Princess cruise and you have punches left that you will not use for specialty coffee drinks.

It is a good deal that use a Coffee Card punch on the Royal or Regal to get gelato with toppings that costs $3.50 at Gelato.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

I was also surprised by this, but the staff there insisted that's their new policy. So I went to guest service next day when no other guest was in line to confirm. The guy there was great, he didn't have the answer, but tracked down the food and beverage manager. So the new policy is one punch for one scoop. If you are paying cash, it's still $1.50 for 3 scoops. Don't if this is fleetwide, just reporting what I experienced.

Hopefully this is another example of a lack of standardization on Princess ships & this F&B manager set their own rules in their shipboard kingdom. :rolleyes:

If they wanted to charge $1.50 per scoop, I would have said to keep their gelato & I'd keep my coffee card punches.

I would also contact Princess HQ to confirm that was their new policy & if so charging over $7 (cost of 3 punches plus 15% tip) for 3 scoops it's nothing I'd ever purchase. It's ridiculous to charge 3 card punches when at Gelato's (Royal & Regal) we can get a 3 scoop sundae for 1 punch ($2.38) or $3.50.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hopefully this is another example of a lack of standardization on Princess ships & this F&B manager set their own rules in their shipboard kingdom. :rolleyes:

If they wanted to charge $1.50 per scoop, I would have said to keep their gelato & I'd keep my coffee card punches.

I would also contact Princess HQ to confirm that was their new policy & if so charging over $7 (cost of 3 punches plus 15% tip) for 3 scoops it's nothing I'd ever purchase. It's ridiculous to charge 3 card punches when at Gelato's (Royal & Regal) we can get a 3 scoop sundae for 1 punch ($2.38) or $3.50.

On the Royal last year it was 1 punch for three scoops BUT on the Emerald it was 1 punch per scoop. When I questioned the server if he was right or not he replied that was how it was ever since he started on that ship.

I still didn't think they had it correct & were overcharging.

Like you said it's ridiculous to charge that amount for something like their gelato especially when it's only OK compared to gelato I've had elsewhere.

It's not wonder that on the Royal they throw away most of it at the end of the night since it doesn't get sold....and that's at 1 punch per 3 scoops!