Venice Pre-Cruise

Wine-O

Looking for a place to stay pre-cruise, flying in the night before. My concern is the luggage issue. I'll be bringing the "kitchen sink" with me as we'll be gone 30 days. Having done some research, most of the places in Venice involve taking the people mover, bus/train, then walking short distances over bridges hauling luggage for blocks, yada, yada, yada or taking a very expensive water taxis.

I want to be able to taxi from the airport to the hotel, then to the cruise port in the morning, then taxi back to a hotel post-cruise so I won't have to deal with hauling all our luggage.

I'm looking at maybe the Mestre area? Don't mind taking the train/bus into the city from there to sightsee. Anybody have any recommendations or ideas?

You could stay at Piazzale Roma, which is the last point of land travel in Venice. It's where taxis, cars, buses drop off passengers arriving from the airport. There are 2 hotels on the square at P Roma which require no bridge crossings; the taxi will drop you at the door . There are a few more hotels that require 1 small bridge to cross ... Arlecchino, Best Western Olimpia, Papadopoli. See the attached list:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

If you prefer to stay in Mestre there is a list of recommended hotels in that same link.

For your own sanity for 30+ days, I HIGHLY recommend not bringing the kitchen sink. We just did 5 weeks on land after the Spring TA, with a 24" suitcase each and one carryon, and I swore that was too much. Be really particular about what you bring--anything you can't wear many time has to stay behind. You're not going to a fashion show!! On our upcoming B2B with 4days in between in Rome, I am going to be super strict when packing, and see how it goes. I am sick of dragging so much around with me!!!

I've done 30 days with a 22" and small tote. But then we usually take trains and sometimes drive between cities. If you can cab it between stops and use bellmen then it matters less how much you take and you can disregard the packing light strategy that follows.

I subscribe to the Rick Steves school of packing which means you can travel indefinitely with a carry-on suitcase and small tote or backpack. It is worth the investment to choose your clothing pieces carefully so they coordinate and multi-task. Replace toiletries as needed along the way. Wash and dry in room or utilize the hotel and ship for laundry, again, well worth spending a little to be able to travel easily and without schlepping! I usually take old sneakers for working out and jettison them towards the end of the trip to make room for purchases. On my next trip I also will be ditching my super old walking sandals at the end, too! I also keep the shopping to a minimum and limit to a few small luxury goods (Hermes scarves, small leather goods) and jewelry as souvenirs. These days you can buy just about anything online after you return home. I have friends who take nothing but old disposible clothing to leave behind as they add purchases.

For your own sanity for 30+ days, I HIGHLY recommend not bringing the kitchen sink. We just did 5 weeks on land after the Spring TA, with a 24" suitcase each and one carryon, and I swore that was too much. Be really particular about what you bring--anything you can't wear many time has to stay behind. You're not going to a fashion show!! On our upcoming B2B with 4days in between in Rome, I am going to be super strict when packing, and see how it goes. I am sick of dragging so much around with me!!!

Well said. We are 3 days into 27 days in Australia, with one checked bag, and 2 carry ons, total, for 2 people, and none are full. It can be done pretty easily with some thought. There are many threads on Cruise Critic and the internet about efficient packing and clothes choices, in terms of color combinations and things like that.

Molina Stucky Hilton on Giudecca is nice. The taxi will take you to the hotel and call a bellman before you actually dock. The bellman gathers the luggage off the taxi and takes them into the hotel for you... The hotel will call a taxi for you when you're ready to go to the ship, too, and there's a really nice rooftop bar...

Good questions. And having been to Venice many times, both on cruises and driving trips, we are not big fans of Mestre. Personally, the Piazale Roma is the perfect compromise for cruisers. So here is the bottom line. Staying in Venice is just more convenient (and romantic) then staying in Mestre (which is popular with lower cost tours and located on the mainland across the lagoon from Venice).

But there is a downside. The P.Roma only has a few places to stay (Ca Doge, Best Western Olimpia and Santa Chiara (there are a few other small places like the Casa Sant Andrea that we do not know). There are also a few other hotels relatively close to the P.Roma but which do require you to walk over some pedestrian bridges dragging all your luggage.

The P. Roma is accessible by express ATVO bus from the airport or land taxi. It is also easy to get to the port via either land taxi (which queue right in the P Roma) or via the People Mover (which does require you to be able to handle your own luggage.

So what does Mestre have to offer. Think of it as Newark to NYC. Mestre has some lower cost hotels/motels and relatively good connections to Venice (via road or train). But Mestre is not Venice! Many others do not really care, but when DW and I go to Venice we stay in Venice! We love being able to walk back to your hotel (usually the inn-like Ca Doge) after a late dinner. And if we want to go back to our hotel for a quick shower and then walk along a canal to find a nice bar...no problem.

Hank

I've done 30 days with a 22" and small tote. But then we usually take trains and sometimes drive between cities. If you can cab it between stops and use bellmen then it matters less how much you take and you can disregard the packing light strategy that follows.

I subscribe to the Rick Steves school of packing which means you can travel indefinitely with a carry-on suitcase and small tote or backpack. It is worth the investment to choose your clothing pieces carefully so they coordinate and multi-task. Replace toiletries as needed along the way. Wash and dry in room or utilize the hotel and ship for laundry, again, well worth spending a little to be able to travel easily and without schlepping! I usually take old sneakers for working out and jettison them towards the end of the trip to make room for purchases. On my next trip I also will be ditching my super old walking sandals at the end, too! I also keep the shopping to a minimum and limit to a few small luxury goods (Hermes scarves, small leather goods) and jewelry as souvenirs. These days you can buy just about anything online after you return home. I have friends who take nothing but old disposible clothing to leave behind as they add purchases.

What a hoot. I ask about hotels in Venice and you respond with your personal packing strategies. :rolleyes:

Hlitner and mapleleaves, thanks for your responses. I'll probably end up staying in Piazzale Roma. Their rooms are a little more pricy than I wanted to pay. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet.

What a hoot. I ask about hotels in Venice and you respond with your personal packing strategies. :rolleyes:

Hlitner and mapleleaves, thanks for your responses. I'll probably end up staying in Piazzale Roma. Their rooms are a little more pricy than I wanted to pay. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet.

You didn't mention which port your ship leaves from. That can make a difference in your decision also. If you want to go to San Marco from Piazzale Roma you're going to have to travel anyway, so maybe to you the savings is worth it.

If all you need is a place to stay prior to the cruise and have no plans to sightsee before boarding, you might as well stay in Mestre. No point in paying Venice prices if you don't plan on doing anything there. The ATVO express bus has a Mestre trip for 8E pp if you want to save a few more bucks. It's like a greyhound bus with a luggage hold beneath. Stop is at Mestre Railroad station.

On the Venice trip when we cruised, we stayed halfway between Venice and the airport . We had been to Venice before and would be staying there after so we couldn't see the point of paying $250+ a night for a room. We paid less than $100 with b'fast. It was nice to sleep in, recover from the long flight, visit an ATM in the village, then make our way to the pier at noon.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/planner/blp_venice_hotels_mainland.htm

As for the luggage situation, you must admit .... if your luggage is a determining factor in hotel locations, you've grossly overpacked. Make it easy on yourself and take 1 wheeled case and a shoulder tote. There are laundry facilities onboard and throughout Europe. On a rainy evening, you can throw your laundry into a machine and have a meal or coffee at the local café next door.

OP, absolutely nothing wrong with staying in Mestre. I had booked Hotel Tritone (my main reason to get twin beds, so many European hotels don't guarantee that).

As the time drew near for our cruise, I was browsing and saw Ca' Doge in Piazzale Roma and fell in love with the place. Was lucky enough to book the room with the small balcony, but the beds were about 3 inches apart. It did cost me double what the Mestre hotel was going to cost, but hey, you're in Venice, why not splurge a little. (We did that a lot on our 21 day trip).

Do whatever is comfortable for you, not what any of us say. Just be happy with what you choose, and enjoy your trip to Europe. It is an awesome destination!

Sorry to have offended you.

Well there are pros and cons to everything. I stayed at the Crowne Plaza East which is in the middle of nowhere but...

behind the hotel is the train station and in 20 minutes, you're in Venice and the hotel will sell you the train tickets for the trains that run often.

with one day's notice, they will pick you up at the airport and transfer you for free to the hotel.

the morning of the cruise, for €10, they will transfer you to the cruise port

Advantage...next to no worries about luggage. Friendly staff (at least it was for me) including free wifi. Romantic? Absolutely not. Efficient? Yes

A bed and breakfast: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g194822-d1533206-Reviews-Alle_Lagune-Mestre_Veneto.html

It is in a former school and the rooms are large with wonderful bathrooms, great wi-fi and breakfasts. The address is on a side street. The main road has the bus right outside the door. The busses run till well past midnight.

We likewise have been looking for a hotel in Mestre, but can't seem to find one accepting bookings so early. May I ask where you are booked?

Thanks!

I found a few places that interest me, but none of them will take a reservation this far in advance. I'm looking at October 2016.

We love being able to walk back to your hotel (usually the inn-like Ca Doge) after a late dinner. And if we want to go back to our hotel for a quick shower and then walk along a canal to find a nice bar...no problem.

Hank

As the time drew near for our cruise, I was browsing and saw Ca' Doge in Piazzale Roma and fell in love with the place. Was lucky enough to book the room with the small balcony, but the beds were about 3 inches apart. It did cost me double what the Mestre hotel was going to cost, but hey, you're in Venice, why not splurge a little. (We did that a lot on our 21 day trip).

Hi does either of you know if Ca Doge reception is open late in the evening for check in?

We are arriving to Venice a night before our cruise with a flight landing at midnight. I was checking Ca Doge's web page and they said their check in time would be 2 pm to 9 pm. I've sent an inquiry about late arrival, but not received any answer. Would you know? Thanks!

If all you are looking for is a clean nice hotel to sleep one night pre-cruise then Mestre will be fine. You could consider staying there pre-cruise then post cruise stay in Piazelle Roma area if you really want the feel of Venice.

We stayed at the Hotel Tritone in Mestre post -Cruise two years ago. We were traveling with another family and both of us had "been there done that" with staying in Venice and Mestre worked very well for our needs. The hotel was nice (and much less expensive than Venice hotels), the breakfast was wonderful and very, very easy transportation connections into Venice or to the airport and the cruise terminal. We took a taxi from ship to hotel then from hotel to airport two days later.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Hi does either of you know if Ca Doge reception is open late in the evening for check in?

We are arriving to Venice a night before our cruise with a flight landing at midnight. I was checking Ca Doge's web page and they said their check in time would be 2 pm to 9 pm. I've sent an inquiry about late arrival, but not received any answer. Would you know? Thanks!

Ca Doge is a real hotel (although it seems like a B&B) and their desk is staffed 24 hours a day. But one might surmise that the night person does not normally handle check-ins. In your situation we would probably send another follow-up e-mail. If they do not respond you might consider a phone call during the daytime when there is usually somebody at the desk who speaks English.

Hank