Celebrity uses the port at Tianjin China for Beijing. It exploded last night

A Sixth?

Not just Celebrity, it sure was devastating.

A major disaster :eek:

Here's the port map... the cruise ship dock is smack in the middle of the port, where it's labeled Beijiang in the middle....:(

Tianjin-Port-North-to-Get-Three-Container-Terminals.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

The port has been blown up big time, a horrible mess with many dead and injured.

No cruise ships were in port I hope as it exploded in the middle of the night.

When is the next ship to call?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/13/asia/china-tianjin-explosions/

china-blast-weibo.jpg

a2.jpg

The next to call there is not until November and it is the Sapphire Princess. No cruise ships there from April until November.

Edited by tarps14

Maps of China can be misleading. The port area is actually enormous. The explosion occurred at least 5km away from where cruise ships dock, on the mainland side of that inlet shown in the pictures.

Nevertheless it was a HUGE explosion and the area is a mess. The cruise port and the roads to and from it should be operational very quickly once the area is cleared. I wouldn't imagine that cruises will be too adversely effected unless more explosives are found.

The next to call there is not until November and it is the Sapphire Princess. No cruise ships there from April until November.

The Millennium docks there in early October

We docked there a couple of years ago and the port is huge. I've never seen so many containers, ever. They went on for miles and were all colour co-ordinated. I just hope they manage so sort it out soon and my heart goes out to all those who have been affected.

Mariner of the Seas is there now.

The site I use for this info initially, for some reason, isn't giving accurate information for the previous post. Sorry for that.

I wonder if they have any disruptions to there port visit. I imagine that there would be major delays with cleaning things up and causing congestion in the area. and with the chemical aspect to the explosions, I hope it is safe.

Just read a latest news bulletin which says there are 85 reported deaths and 700 injuries.

There is a 3km exclusion zone as the use of water sprays have released toxic chemicals especially sodium cyanide.

a really nasty situation for all concerned.

Agreed. good news that the death count hasn't risen significantly from the 56 reported so far. very fortunate not to be many more.:D
CNN reports the body count at 105 just now. I expect more with such a large residential blast zone as they pull out the debris. What's sad is a significant number of fatalities were rescue workers who went to the site after the blast.

CNN reports the body count at 105 just now. I expect more with such a large residential blast zone as they pull out the debris. What's sad is a significant number of fatalities were rescue workers who went to the site after the blast.

just terrible, I now fear the body count may go way higher. :(

I was just watching the news and the story came on regarding this and then I thought, isn't Cape Liberty, Bayonne, NJ still an industrial working port, and could this happen here?

Accidents can happen anywhere, I think one of the issues here (got from one of the reports) was they put water (instead of foam) on a chemical fire. That made the huge explosion and did all the damage to the surrounding areas.