Cocktail prices raised to $7.50

JennysUncle

We have the SBP as part of Explore-4 on our 26 day, Oct 14 Zuiderdam cruise from Athens to FLL. We got the Explore-4 promotion when we booked this cruise in Sept 2014. At that time, drinks and wine were capped at $7. But the majority of the drinks on the menus were $6.95, so we were happy. Now, I see that, at least on the Ryndam, most cocktails are now $7.50, which eliminates 75% of the available drinks under SBP. I see where some posters say they have raised the allowance on the SBP to $8 for drinks and wines. Is that increased allowance to $8 grandfathered to Explore-4 SBP booked in late 2014, or does it only apply to the current Explore-4 promotion which started on July 20 ? I guess a call to Ship's Services is in order. Hopefully I will get straight information.

The post title doesn't show up in the mobile version of the Cruise Critic message boards, just the body. The only post title that shows is the the first post in a thread. Since I'm on my phone, I had no idea that there was anything beyond what I quoted. It makes more sense once you supplied the title.

One more reason to hate mobile apps...

One more reason to hate mobile apps...

Not exactly. It doesn't matter how a post is formatted, all the text is the same size. You can see bold, italic, and underline, but it doesn't matter what font is used or what size the text is. It all comes out at whatever you set the app to.

We have the SBP as part of Explore-4 on our 26 day, Oct 14 Zuiderdam cruise from Athens to FLL. We got the Explore-4 promotion when we booked this cruise in Sept 2014. At that time, drinks and wine were capped at $7. But the majority of the drinks on the menus were $6.95, so we were happy. Now, I see that, at least on the Ryndam, most cocktails are now $7.50, which eliminates 75% of the available drinks under SBP. I see where some posters say they have raised the allowance on the SBP to $8 for drinks and wines. Is that increased allowance to $8 grandfathered to Explore-4 SBP booked in late 2014, or does it only apply to the current Explore-4 promotion which started on July 20 ? I guess a call to Ship's Services is in order. Hopefully I will get straight information.

I can not imagine why you would not! We got the same package added to our Oct 2016 Med cruise and I just went to HALS site and copied what was stated. And they have changed it to 8.00 instead of 6.95.

Explore4 2015 Terms & Conditions

*Fares and Explore4 offers are based on Promo(s) KA/KC/JA. Featured fares are per person based on double occupancy, cruise or Land+Sea Journeys only. Fares are in U.S. dollars. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are additional and range from $108.72 to $769.66. Subject to availability. Explore4 offers are per stateroom based on double occupancy, for 1st and 2nd guests sharing a stateroom and excludes 3rd/4th guests, except as provided herein. Explore4 offers are available for new bookings only, apply only to the cruise portion of Alaska Land+Sea Journeys, are not combinable with any other discounts, are not transferable, are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Offers are applicable on select 2015, 2016 and 2017 departures. The Signature Beverage Package value of US$1,400 is based on a 14 day cruise and has a daily limit of 15 beverages, which includes all beverages priced $8.00USD or lower including service charges. Signature Beverage Package excludes purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. Signature Beverage Packages are not transferable or refundable and may be used only on the cruise portion of Land+Sea Journeys

Denise:)

The bar menu prices went up on Aug 1 on the Ryndam. We were onboard for a B2B 7/25-8/1 and 8/1-8/15 out of Harwich. Early on the second leg we won a cocktail at Trivia and were told we could choose any on the menu up to $6.95 - and then saw that they were all $7.50. That surprised the trivia host too. The bartender confirmed that the price went up on Aug 1. We did :) get our drink. I see that the Signature Beverage Package in the Explore-4 promotion now covers cocktails and wine up to $8 instead of $7' date=' so I presume the price increase is on all ships.[/quote']

Thank you for posting this information.

I can not imagine why you would not! We got the same package added to our Oct 2016 Med cruise and I just went to HALS site and copied what was stated. And they have changed it to 8.00 instead of 6.95.

Explore4 2015 Terms & Conditions

*Fares and Explore4 offers are based on Promo(s) KA/KC/JA. Featured fares are per person based on double occupancy, cruise or Land+Sea Journeys only. Fares are in U.S. dollars. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are additional and range from $108.72 to $769.66. Subject to availability. Explore4 offers are per stateroom based on double occupancy, for 1st and 2nd guests sharing a stateroom and excludes 3rd/4th guests, except as provided herein. Explore4 offers are available for new bookings only, apply only to the cruise portion of Alaska Land+Sea Journeys, are not combinable with any other discounts, are not transferable, are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Offers are applicable on select 2015, 2016 and 2017 departures. The Signature Beverage Package value of US$1,400 is based on a 14 day cruise and has a daily limit of 15 beverages, which includes all beverages priced $8.00USD or lower including service charges. Signature Beverage Package excludes purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. Signature Beverage Packages are not transferable or refundable and may be used only on the cruise portion of Land+Sea Journeys

My concern is that when Explore-4 2015 came out on July 20, the allowance was $7 for drinks and $8 for wine. Now, they are showing $8 for all drinks and wines. I booked my cruise under the Explore-4 that was current in 2014. Back in July, after the new Explore-4 2015 came out, I checked with Ship's Services and they said "no, your Explore-4 SBP is from 2014, and that is $7 for everything, including wines. Of course, sometimes the information you get from HAL on the phone is misleading or outright wrong. But now that they have raised the actual drink prices to $7.50, they would have to increase the SBP allowance accordingly. My cruise price dropped by $600 per person when the 2014 Explore-4 promotion was removed. I could have cancelled and rebooked and saved $1200, but I didn't because I would lose the Explore-4 and the SBP, which, for a 26 day cruise @ 15 drinks a day/per person, is a whole lot of money. If that package is now useless because the drink prices were raised, but the allowance stayed the same, I would be limited to water, cokes, and beers for my cruise. Not a pretty picture.

I would like to hear from some guests who actually booked under Explore-4 2014 and recently cruised after the drink price increase. Did your SBP allowance go up to $8 for drinks and wines when the drink prices were raised ?

My concern is that when Explore-4 2015 came out on July 20, the allowance was $7 for drinks and $8 for wine. Now, they are showing $8 for all drinks and wines. I booked my cruise under the Explore-4 that was current in 2014. Back in July, after the new Explore-4 2015 came out, I checked with Ship's Services and they said "no, your Explore-4 SBP is from 2014, and that is $7 for everything, including wines. Of course, sometimes the information you get from HAL on the phone is misleading or outright wrong. But now that they have raised the actual drink prices to $7.50, they would have to increase the SBP allowance accordingly. My cruise price dropped by $600 per person when the 2014 Explore-4 promotion was removed. I could have cancelled and rebooked and saved $1200, but I didn't because I would lose the Explore-4 and the SBP, which, for a 26 day cruise @ 15 drinks a day/per person, is a whole lot of money. If that package is now useless because the drink prices were raised, but the allowance stayed the same, I would be limited to water, cokes, and beers for my cruise. Not a pretty picture.

I would like to hear from some guests who actually booked under Explore-4 2014 and recently cruised after the drink price increase. Did your SBP allowance go up to $8 for drinks and wines when the drink prices were raised ?

I'm never able to cash in on these promos but I'd be shocked if Hal didn't honour this for the higher price. That would be very dirty. I would not believe what you heard from the Hal rep. I hope someone can give you a definitive answer.

I'm never able to cash in on these promos but I'd be shocked if Hal didn't honour this for the higher price. That would be very dirty. I would not believe what you heard from the Hal rep. I hope someone can give you a definitive answer.

The people who are currently on would have had to have booked under the $7 version - unless they were walk ons. The Explore 4 read $7 when it started a month ago. They reported that their documentation on the ship said 15 drink limit, $8 max.

There are places on the HAL site that still say $7. I'd stake money on the phone rep being wrong.

Edited by POA1

My concern is that when Explore-4 2015 came out on July 20, the allowance was $7 for drinks and $8 for wine. Now, they are showing $8 for all drinks and wines. I booked my cruise under the Explore-4 that was current in 2014. Back in July, after the new Explore-4 2015 came out, I checked with Ship's Services and they said "no, your Explore-4 SBP is from 2014, and that is $7 for everything, including wines. Of course, sometimes the information you get from HAL on the phone is misleading or outright wrong. But now that they have raised the actual drink prices to $7.50, they would have to increase the SBP allowance accordingly. My cruise price dropped by $600 per person when the 2014 Explore-4 promotion was removed. I could have cancelled and rebooked and saved $1200, but I didn't because I would lose the Explore-4 and the SBP, which, for a 26 day cruise @ 15 drinks a day/per person, is a whole lot of money. If that package is now useless because the drink prices were raised, but the allowance stayed the same, I would be limited to water, cokes

, and beers for my cruise. Not a pretty picture.

First did you book directly through HAL? I just got off the phone and spoke to both my PCC, and a rep from HAL. In your situation if you are before final payment on your cruise you can switch to new promo no problem. IF you are after final payment and booked directly through HAL they might be able to get the new Explorer for you. Through a TA you can try to have them call but chances are you will have to pay the difference. I told them how sad! They should honor all future cruises that have the Explorer 4 pkg. people book like us way in advance, and like having all their ducks in a row!

I sure hope HAL comes through for you!

We got this promo on July 28th. And ours is honored!

The post title doesn't show up in the mobile version of the Cruise Critic message boards, just the body. The only post title that shows is the the first post in a thread. Since I'm on my phone, I had no idea that there was anything beyond what I quoted. It makes more sense once you supplied the title.

I never noticed that post titles don't show up on CC's mobile app. Then again, I hardly ever look at/notice post titles even when on the full blown version. :D

The only better news IMO would be if other cruise lines lowered their drink prices by a couple of bucks each ...

Would you care to enlighten us as to why you think that raising the price of drinks on HAL's ship is great news? :rolleyes:

the price increase and if they will pour a larger drink of alcohol.

Thanks. I can't see the subject line on the mobile version of the site, which is why I was (more) confused (than normal.)

Would you care to enlighten us as to why you think that raising the price of drinks on HAL's ship is great news? :rolleyes:

... merely hoping that it might cut down on the number of drunks on HAL cruises, especially if other lines were to lower their drink prices ...

... merely hoping that it might cut down on the number of drunks on HAL cruises, especially if other lines were to lower their drink prices ...

In my experience aboard numerous HAL ships, drunkeness is not a problem. I'm not saying that there isn't the occasional person who imbibes too much, but it's simply not an issue.

Besides, a 55 cent per drink increase is never going to inhibit someone from having a drink or two too many.

In my experience aboard numerous HAL ships, drunkeness is not a problem. I'm not saying that there isn't the occasional person who imbibes too much, but it's simply not an issue.

Besides, a 55 cent per drink increase is never going to inhibit someone from having a drink or two too many.

.....especially if they were a drunk. They'd likely be trying to smuggle it on.

We've rarely seen people Cruising Under the Influence om HAL. More so on X and Princess, much more so on Carnival (but that was a 4-day)

This was tongue in cheek humor, right?

I know you have to be kidding thinking there are many cruisers on HAL ships that could be described as "Drunks". I doubt I've seen a handful all totaled on over 80 HAL cruises. :D

(Bolding added by me.)

My experience is apparently different than yours - and I prefer not to have to deal with drunks, so I would love to see HAL increase its alcoholic drink prices on the off chance that it might incentivize the heavy drinkers to choose other cruise lines.

BTW can you provide proof of your highlighted claim above?

This was tongue in cheek humor, right?

I know you have to be kidding thinking there are many cruisers on HAL ships that could be described as "Drunks". I doubt I've seen a handful all totaled on over 80 HAL cruises. :D

No, sadly I don't think it was tongue in cheek. I can't recall ever seeing a drunk on Hal. I guess I've been super lucky:D.

(Bolding added by me.)

My experience is apparently different than yours - and I prefer not to have to deal with drunks, so I would love to see HAL increase its alcoholic drink prices on the off chance that it might incentivize the heavy drinkers to choose other cruise lines.

Could you provide proof that charging 55 cents extra will cut down on how much a drunk will drink? Thx.

(Bolding added by me.)

No, I can provide no empirical proof that a 55 cent per drink increase is never going to inhibit someone from having a drink or two too many, but anyone with a lick of common sense and life experience can make that prediction without fear of contradiction.

Perhaps you could expand on your presumably frequent encounters with drunks on HAL ships so the rest of us can better understand your somewhat unique perspective.