Cruise Pricing has shot up......?

Checkmate1955

We have cruised several times in the past 10 years... The last time was 2 years ago out of New Orleans for 7 days... We paid a total of $880 for an Ocean View in the middle of the ship for the 2 of us... As I have started checking rates again for this Winter I see rates are higher in December that previously 2 years ago....

Is it all of the so called free things they are adding to your cruise... Like drink packages, OBC, Dining options...etc.. all if you book certain cabins from OV and up... The same cabin of 2 years ago is around $1150 for the two of us.. and I do not see any deals... Is all of that a thing of the past..?

Looking Transatlantic this year and they are higher that I remember and with fewer stops/ports along the way...

Ongoing recovery from the recent recession has got to be reflected in firmer prices generally. In any case comparing one fare paid a few years ago with what is seen now is hardly scientific: special deals or last minute pricing compared with more desirable dates or itinerary makes valid comparison difficult.

We have cruised several times in the past 10 years... The last time was 2 years ago out of New Orleans for 7 days... We paid a total of $880 for an Ocean View in the middle of the ship for the 2 of us... As I have started checking rates again for this Winter I see rates are higher in December that previously 2 years ago....

Is it all of the so called free things they are adding to your cruise... Like drink packages, OBC, Dining options...etc.. all if you book certain cabins from OV and up... The same cabin of 2 years ago is around $1150 for the two of us.. and I do not see any deals... Is all of that a thing of the past..?

Looking Transatlantic this year and they are higher that I remember and with fewer stops/ports along the way...

If you own 100 shares in Carnaval, you receive a $100 shipboard credit for a 7 day cruise and $200 for a 14 day cruise; thought you may be interested.

Paula

If you own 100 shares in Carnaval, you receive a $100 shipboard credit for a 7 day cruise and $200 for a 14 day cruise; thought you may be interested.

Paula

Perhaps. But when you step onboard, it's still Carnival.

Seriously, smart investing (even some consistently high performing mutual funds) will give you a better net return, part of which you can pay to yourself as OBC.

The shareholder OBC from Carnival Corp applies to all their cruise lines, not just Carnival. Princess, HAL, Cunard, etc. all are eligible for the OBC.

The amount is:

1 to 6 nights = $50

7 to 13 nights = $100

1 or more nights = $250

The shareholder OBC from Carnival Corp applies to all their cruise lines, not just Carnival. Princess, HAL, Cunard, etc. all are eligible for the OBC.

The amount is:

1 to 6 nights = $50

7 to 13 nights = $100

1 or more nights = $250

Huh? Best deal is 1 night?

Huh? Best deal is 1 night?

How many 1 night cruises have you experienced? They are really talking about at least 3 or 4 nights - making that $50 work out to $12.50 - $16.00 per night,; the others not so much per night - but it's the people who can only afford 3 or 4 nighter who need the biggest APPARENT incentive.

How many 1 night cruises have you experienced? They are really talking about at least 3 or 4 nights - making that $50 work out to $12.50 - $16.00 per night,; the others not so much per night - but it's the people who can only afford 3 or 4 nighter who need the biggest APPARENT incentive.

Reread the post. It said "1 or more nights: $250". It's a typo.

All I know us in 2004 I paid just over $200 a night with Princess, next cruise (2 months away) guess what, a tad under $200 a night. So not so sure that things have gone up all that much.

Looking at a cruise next year that is exactly the same itinerary as the 2004 one total price $200 less than we paid in '04.

Yes, generally prices are up. We have been cruising at some pretty low prices for the last 5 years due to the global recession and that in the US. The US has largely recovered and a aging population has more time and money to travel and cruise....all of this has put upward pressure on pricing. However, if you sit back and wait there are always deals....they may not be prime time or the cabin you prefer but they are there.

HAL is once again offering the Explore4 package which has the Signature Drink Package and a couple of free dinners for some of their cruises. But to cover the cost of this package, HAL has raised the cost of the cruise fares.

As a result, some people are booking their cruises without the Explore4 package and saving money.

Thanks to all of the post to my question..... I research and check daily for the past one year for a good deal on Europe, Transatlantic and New Orleans... I just do not see any good deals.... ALSO.... Oil is down and profits are up up and away..... Just saying.... Thanks...:)

HAL is once again offering the Explore4 package which has the Signature Drink Package and a couple of free dinners for some of their cruises. But to cover the cost of this package, HAL has raised the cost of the cruise fares.

As a result, some people are booking their cruises without the Explore4 package and saving money.[/QU

I believe part of the pricing is the so called free stuff... Drinks and Food are not free and run the cost of the booking up at least $250 PP...