Carnival Shares

Scriv

Yes - once paid you have to submit proof of your shareholding e.g. statement of shareholding with current date then the credit is applied.

Thanks kruzseeka, one final question (hopefully) I need to pay the balance for my next cruise on 8th September ... Do I need to own shares before this date or can I buy them later and still get the extra OBC :)

I buy shares online through shares.com which is dead easy. You do not physically get the shares but they will write a letter confirming you own them.

I do not own Carnival shares at the moment, I think the prices are far too high, personally - generally, not Carnival specifically.

Thanks kruzseeka, one final question (hopefully) I need to pay the balance for my next cruise on 8th September ... Do I need to own shares before this date or can I buy them later and still get the extra OBC :)

Hi janieb

As I understand it you could buy the shares after full payment then claim the obc provided you are within the deadline prior to sailing date. You will be fulfilling the requirements ie 1) you have paid in full for your cruise 2) you hold the requisite 100 Carnival shares on the date of your claim and 3) you apply a sufficient number of days before departure.

I've looked on the P&O site and can't see that you need to have them before you pay for your cruise BUT please check it out as I'd hate to give you the wrong info and you miss out on potential obc. Perhaps others will confirm (or correct) this is the case.

When I had problems registering mine because Carnival changed how they would accept the proof, I emailed Carnival in Southampton and they couldn't have been more helpful. Perhaps it would be worth contacting them to be certain since money is involved!

You can only claim your shareholder benefit after you have made your final payment and no later than two weeks before departure. As far as I am aware the only other criteria is that you own the shares at the time you apply. In theory, you could buy the shares one day, claim the benefit the next day and sell them the following day. I would not recommend doing this as your dealing costs would offset your benefits gained.

Brian

Hi I can confirm that last year I purchased shares after final payment but within 4 weeks of sailing and received obc without any problems. I purchased at £22.10 per share went on 2 cruises last year and received 2 dividends and then sold them in December at around £28 a share with the intention on repurchasing when the price dropped again. This hasn't happened yet so still watching ........ Just back from a cruise so missed out on the obc this time but had so much as part of the package didn't actually need it.

It was my first dabble in shares and can't grumble at all. I intend to repurchase if they get to the £28 figure again I think but will just keep hold of them next time.

Hi, We bought our shares from an online company so our shares are in a nominee account. We used to be able to send carnival a screen shot of our holdings but they have now changed the rules. What we do now is get in touch with the company we use (LSE) and tell them we want to claim our OBC with carnival. We have to give name, booking ref and cruise number. They in turn forward your proof of share holding to carnival. Within 2 days of our initial email to LSE our OBC is applied to our cruise with confirmation email from P&O. I print this off and put it in with my cruise paperwork.

We bought the share for the OBC we receive. We worked it out at the time even if we cruised once a year we would not receive the same amount in interest over the year, we are lucky they have went up in price since buying them. The price is a little volatile at the moment.

Regards to all

W&P

Edited by Wull92

The share price is high at the moment so may not be the best time to buy. You also need to consider the dividends which have been about £16.50 per quarter for the last few years (for 100 shares). That is after tax. The dividend is not guaranteed and no dividend was paid for a couple of a years or so in the early 2000s.

We have had shares for about 15 years and they have more than paid for themselves wit OBC and dividends. They have increased in value by over 50% but they could also fall.

Hi, We bought our shares from an online company so our shares are in a nominee account. We used to be able to send carnival a screen shot of our holdings but they have now changed the rules. What we do now is get in touch with the company we use (LSE) and tell them we want to claim our OBC with carnival. We have to give name, booking ref and cruise number. They in turn forward your proof of share holding to carnival. Within 2 days of our initial email to LSE our OBC is applied to our cruise with confirmation email from P&O. I print this off and put it in with my cruise paperwork.

We bought the share for the OBC we receive. We worked it out at the time even if we cruised once a year we would not receive the same amount in interest over the year, we are lucky they have went up in price since buying them. The price is a little volatile at the moment.

Regards to all

W&P

When did they change the proof of ownership requirement?

When did they change the proof of ownership requirement?

It was changed sometime this year. I tried to send a screenshot in June I think. I received an email back saying they no longer were accepting attachments because of security. I phoned P&O and they said to get in touch with the company that held my account. I in turn phoned LSE and they handled it for me, all I had to do was send an email to them with my booking details. The OBC was applied within a couple of days. It is easier this way now as they just forward proof of holdings. It still has to be after final balance is paid.

Regards to all

P&W

P&O rejected a screenshot sent in an e-mail by us a few weeks ago. They did however accept a fax of the same image. It's a bit of a hassle as few people have access to fax machines these days.

Edited by Ranchi

I originally bought my shares via an online broker but they moved their business away from the UK so i sold the shares at a small profit. I then bought new ones via P&O's registrar Equiniti and also had a share certificate.

I now only have to email P&O with the cruise booking reference and my shares reference and the credit is applied. actually i don't think i even need to quote the shares reference as P&O check their register of investors.

It's all on the P&O help pages :)

Another satisfied shareholder here.

As others have suggested, I bought mine purely for the OBC; the increase in value from c. £23 to c. £30 has been a bonus. (Of course, a few weeks ago they were around £35....) I'm not sure I would have bought them, given the level of OBC 'return', if the price when I bought had been much above, say, £25. Note also that Carnival announces the level of Shareholder Benefit every year, so it's not permanently fixed. Since I've held my shares it hasn't been changed, but it could change, either up or down.

Of course, if the Shanghai index keeps falling Carnival shares will be back to £23 soon enough!

Another happy shareholder here. :):)

I just found it best to apply as soon as the balance is paid. If there are staff holidays there can be a delay in the OBC being applied.

All I do now is send an email to carnival shares with Booking Reference and my OBC is applied usually straight away. I've even had a new confirmation within an hour showing the OBC.

As for worth it..... Definitely. :D

Note also that Carnival announces the level of Shareholder Benefit every year, so it's not permanently fixed. Since I've held my shares it hasn't been changed, but it could change, either up or down.

!

They did change the P&O rate a couple of years ago from £125 to £150 and pro rata for the lower bands. This was due to the dollar exchange rate changing. The dollar rates were not changed.

Brian