Room Across from Crew Door?

soxfan2013

Hi...we're in Aqua 9071 on Summit. Others have reported that it's across from a crew door...I previously had a room like this on NCL and it was very noisy, especially in the morning when we were still trying to sleep.

Has anyone ever been able to successfully do anything about the incessant banging from the opening and closing of these mid-hallway doors opposite your room? Isn't there crew training to be sensitive to the noise? I'm surprised the cruise lines don't do something about the design of those doors to created a muffled closure. In fact, I'd extend this to all doors, as someone posted earlier being disturbed by kids' frequent opening and closing doors.

I have never experienced a room close to one of these service stations. If you are unable to relocate your cabin, I might suggest MacK's Silicon Ear Plugs. They have noise reduction rating 22 dB

I am a very light sleeper and have used them for years on airplanes and hotel's.

They are not like a standard ear plug that is inserted in your ear. You flatten them and they cover your ear canal and are also used for those that can't get water in their ear.

They are also great if you have a spouse that snores.

Didn't experience this on Summit but have on another ship. There was a metal threshold so every time a crew member moved a cart in or out of that room there was a load bang (especially if the stuff on the cart was metal or glass). I will never book such a cabin again.

I have never experienced a room close to one of these service stations. If you are unable to relocate your cabin, I might suggest MacK's Silicon Ear Plugs. They have noise reduction rating 22 dB.

Thanks...but not really the recommendation I was seeking.

Given that this is a fundamental issue on all ships, I really don't understand why someone doesn't design and install soft closing doors?

We had a room right next to the crew door. It was HORRIBLE! Not only did we hear the door open and slam shut all day and night, we could hear them climbing the metal stairs. Worst room we've ever had. We asked to be relocated the next day and Celebrity was very accommodating. Move rooms if you can.

It's a full ship. Kids, grandparents are in neighboring rooms...no practical oppty to switch.

I would think a combination of hydraulics and electronics could address the safety issue...too often that's used as a reason not to do something. Anyway, I'm unfortunately not an engineer, or I'd invent something like this.

My FIL had a room (Infinity 9001). We booked it because it was a large OV but the crew door outside was always opening and closing. I think this was crew quarters based on the time I peeked in the propped door. And when I did that I also smelled cigarette smoke, not that it permeated into the room.

I'd stay away too and move if you can.

Not only could I hear the door but the conversations from that area. There seemed to be an echo due to lack of sound proofing. It seemed busier on certain days and times.

Spend a lot of time on your balcony….

We are usually very particular in picking our cabin but this one issue slipped past us and we booked a cabin across from the crew door. It was horrible. Seemed like 20 hours of the day it was slamming shut. We were on a back to back and, fortunately, we were able to be moved for the second cruise.

I undestand the need for it to be a tight close (fire door?) but there must be a better way. I also realize that the crew is very busy and is juggling carts and supplies so to ask them to control the close is impractical and impossible.

We are extra careful in booking and keep our fingers crossed we did not miss something on the deck plans. Otherwise, we would be first in lime for a cabin change.

We were in 9060 on Connie so I'm speaking from experience. Noise from across or near the crew doors can be quite loud at times. It is especially bad the night before disembarkation due to the crew removing luggage from the hallways. The door slammed along with loud conversations nonstop from 11:00pm to approximately 2:00am. We are not light sleepers and had never been awakened by noise aboard ship until having that cabin.

We too have found the slamming of crew doors the primary source of noise in the cabin. I've seen HAL deck plans showing crew door locations, but on Celebrity deck plans, the crew area is shown without locations of doors marked. Is there any system to where those doors are located on Celebrity ships or is the location random? I assume all ships in a certain class would have crew doors located in similar locations. Perhaps there could be a sticky about this, with those who've experienced noise from crew doors could list the cabin number where this was a problem. When I'm on the Silhouette in September, I will jot down the cabin numbers on my deck that are across from crew doors and post them. Of course, there is noise even when the cabin is not directly across from a crew door, but the farther away from it, the better.

~Maya

On every ship there are cabin and decks that are noisier than others, which is why you see so many people asking about specific cabins on these boards. Or asking about those unidentified area on deck plans.

It's not just cabins individual but large groups of cabins, such as those immediately below pools. When the deck chairs are set up early in the morning, those sleeping immediately below are often woken by the noise.

As others have said here, there is probably no fix for this particular problem. It's common to all cruise ships/lines and if there was a fix, I'm sure it would have been implemented.

I've asked this question before but got no replies but as its relevant to this thread, I'll pop the question again which is: is there a plan showing crew doors/server points etc? Like everyone else, we choose our cabin very carefully and we'd like it to be an informed choice. I feel for the folks who've paid out for their holiday to have it marred by constant banging doors and crew noise.

I've asked this question before but got no replies but as its relevant to this thread, I'll pop the question again which is: is there a plan showing crew doors/server points etc? Like everyone else, we choose our cabin very carefully and we'd like it to be an informed choice. I feel for the folks who've paid out for their holiday to have it marred by constant banging doors and crew noise.

I've never heard of the existence of such a plan. The deck plans have a lot of crew areas that you can puzzle out, particularly after a few cruises, but your best bet is probably to ask here for specific information: "What's in the room across the hall from cabin 1234?" A search by room number might also turn up the information you need.