Carb count in mdr

Interesting thoughts. I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and still learning the goods & bads. If anyone has done the 'diabetes special diet' as listed in your onboard preferences, I would really like to here what is included in that plan. Is there a separate menu with carb numbers or just a different menu? Are there choices? I have 9 weeks to figure this out before my next cruise. TIA

The carb counting is overwhelming at first, but soon you will have it down to a science. I have not heard of the carb count on the menu. Bring the info from the dietician/ diabetes educator with you if you are worried.

Good luck, good health and happy cruising.

I'm a type 2, I know what eat, but I'm afraid of the extra added chemicals they put in the food. Do they really have a diabetes diet on rccl ?

Yes - if you check the daily menus - there is usually one or two desserts that are sugar-free. The OP should contact the head waiter on the first night in the MDR - they will go over each night's menu to make sure your mom gets her "low sugar" meal.

I am not diabetic, but years ago, I began to follow a low-glycemic lifestyle which is also a diabetes diet designed to keep blood sugar from spiking. I lost almost 80lbs, and have managed to keep about 60lbs of that off long-term by watching my crab intake.

On our last cruise, I actually lost weight. And I ate like a pig to the point that I was miserably stuffed each night. I just stuck to the things I know are good for my diet - meats, but with sauces on the side, good vegetables (no corn, carrots, potatoes or rice) and watched my bread and dessert intakes. I loved the buffet breakfast where I can load up on proteins with eggs, bacon and other meats.

Is it possible to get carbohydrate counts for main dining room menu items? My mom is diabetic and she needs to count carbs. Thanks

I use Carb Counter app. You can substitute a chain restaurant item if you can't find what you want on the search option.

Yes - if you check the daily menus - there is usually one or two desserts that are sugar-free. The OP should contact the head waiter on the first night in the MDR - they will go over each night's menu to make sure your mom gets her "low sugar" meal.

Sugar free is does not mean carb free especially in desserts.When your an insulin dependent diabetic you dont need to stay away from everything with sugar in it,you just have to count your carbs,As with anyone you shouldnt eat alot of processed sugars.

Our 11 yr old daughter is a type one diabetic who cruises with us.

Im not sure how long your mom has been a diabetic or if shes a type 1 or type 2 but it gets fairly easy to have a fairly accurate handle on guesstamating the carbs.Our daughter will just recheck her blood glucose a couple hours after the meal and make a correction if needed.Testing more is a good idea.

Edited by rtazz17

Sugar-free does not always mean diabetic friendly. Carb counting involves avoiding not just sweets but starches. Stay away from white stuff, flour, bread, rice, noodles, pasta, sugar. Eat green veggies, salads, meats, chicken, fish. Fruits are sometimes okay, especially berries, but in moderation.

Good luck!

Edited by luvscruising2007

Is it possible to get carbohydrate counts for main dining room menu items? My mom is diabetic and she needs to count carbs. Thanks

I would contact Special Needs at [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse], and inquire about special menus for diabetics.

Sugar-free does not always mean diabetic friendly. Carb counting involves avoiding not just sweets but starches. Stay away from white stuff, flour, bread, rice, noodles, pasta, sugar. Eat green veggies, salads, meats, chicken, fish. Fruits are sometimes okay, especially berries, but in moderation.

Good luck!

This.

And limit the sauces with all that hidden sugar.

Hi,

Bob, I believe it was you who recommend that I contact Special Needs Dept. re: a Diabetic Diet on our upcoming cruise. I did my special needs diet request online and checked off Diabetes.

I went through the MDR weeks menu online. Just jotting down the Vitality choices offered. Ehh ..lamb offered twice in the week. Of course cod, and The Fishermans Platter. I believe I can do pretty good. I was diagnosed about 5 months ago.

:). Bobbi

It is correct that a diabetic-friendly diet is not about counting carb grams or avoiding sugar. It's all about avoiding foods that spike blood sugar levels. Of course anything with a lot of added sugar, like most desserts and many sauces are off-limits. But other things have hidden high-glycemic carbs, like breads, rice, corn, carrots, and potatoes. Things like sugar-free pudding are mostly food starch, so no good. But no-sugar added ice cream is fine, even though it still has a high carb count due to the lactose in it. Lactose is a sugar/carb, but is very slowly digested and won't spike blood sugar.

In my opinion it's actually very easy to eat a low-carb diet onboard, in both the dining room and the buffet. In the dining room, you can get a plain chicken breast or steak with a double portion of vegetables (not potatoes) and save the carbs for dessert. I was diagnosed over 5 years ago and have cruised many times since; because there are so many choices, for me, it's easy to make healthy choices. :)

My husband is diabetic and is on an insulin pump which has made cruising easier for us. He counts carb by using the Calorie King and Go Meals Apps on his phone when traveling. At home we just count the carbs on the package labels. Another thing to consider when eating is your fat intake as that will affect your blood sugars as well.

He doesn't avoid sweets altogether, just tries to accurately account for it as much as possible. However, it's funny to see the reactions of the staff & crew on board when you ask "how many carbs in that cookie"? They will seek out the Chef and then come back and say "Chef says you can't have that"!!:D

The unfortunate part is that all sugar-free items on board are made with NutraSweet or phenylalanine which many people are allergic to.

Edited by cruisenfever