HNL-LAX-YYZ where will I go through customs/immigration?

Freckles_51

As a Canadian flying from HNL to LAX and then to YYZ, both flights with American Airlines, where will I go through customs/immigration?

Will I need to claim bags at LAX?

Will I need to change terminals in LAX? If yes, how easy is it?

Thanks

As a Canadian flying from HNL to LAX and then to YYZ, both flights with American Airlines, where will I go through customs/immigration?

Will I need to claim bags at LAX?

Will I need to change terminals in LAX? If yes, how easy is it?

Thanks

Bags will be checked in HNL and you won't see them again until YYZ.

You should remain within the same terminal at LAX, and no security re-clearance is needed. It's not a pretty terminal, but it's easy.

Immigration is upon arrival at YYZ.

You clear US Immigration and Customs at the ship's first US port (assume that's Honolulu).

At HNL your checked bags require agricultural inspection (APHIS) *before* you check them with the airline. Carry on items get APHIS before security. Your luggage should be thru-checked to YVR and you won't see it at LAX.

If both flights are truly on AA "metal" and not codeshares, the LAX connection is in one terminal (T4).

I assume you "know the drill" at YVR.

@Trucker Dave, "veggie police" LOL!! :)

Edited by kenish

Bags will be checked in HNL and you won't see them again until YYZ.

You should remain within the same terminal at LAX, and no security re-clearance is needed. It's not a pretty terminal, but it's easy.

Immigration is upon arrival at YYZ.

Thanks...hope it goes as smoothly as it sounds :)

You also get to visit the Hawaii Vegetable police before you leave if i remember correctly. :eek: (or course I could be wrong and ti it could be when you arrive in the islands. It's been a few years since i have been there)

I believe last time as I was leaving HNL, my bags were sent through a scanner as soon as I entered the airport building.

You also get to visit the Hawaii Vegetable police before you leave if i remember correctly. :eek: (or course I could be wrong and ti it could be when you arrive in the islands. It's been a few years since i have been there)

LOL at your signature :D

You clear US Immigration and Customs at the ship's first US port (assume that's Honolulu).

Hmmm....I'm sailing TO Hawaii from San Francisco :p

At HNL your checked bags require agricultural inspection (APHIS) *before* you check them with the airline. Carry on items get APHIS before security. Your luggage should be thru-checked to YVR and you won't see it at LAX.

I hope my luggage doesn't go to YVR :eek:

If both flights are truly on AA "metal" and not codeshares, the LAX connection is in one terminal (T4).

I believe they are

I assume you "know the drill" at YVR.

No but I know the drill at YYZ :p

@Trucker Dave, "veggie police" LOL!! :)

Thanks for the info :D

One hint to make it easy breezy through the "ag" check at HNL. Be absolutely sure you have NO mud/dirt on your shoes. If you bring golf clubs, be sure the club faces are thoroughly cleaned. I've been nailed by the Ag guys for both. Ever try to clean a set of golf clubs in the ladies' room at the airport?????

How are you sailing to Hawaii from San Francisco? That itinerary violates the PVSA.

It's the NCL Pride of America (U.S.-flagged).

It's deadheading to SF for dry dock, then doing a revenue sailing SF to Honolulu on the return. No foreign ports necessary! ;)

It's the NCL Pride of America (U.S.-flagged).

It's deadheading to SF for dry dock, then doing a revenue sailing SF to Honolulu on the return. No foreign ports necessary! ;)

Thank you. I was hoping it was something like that, but didn't want to assume.

They have got to be flying shipyard workers over to HNL to start work on the ride back to the mainland. In the Navy it took us a week to get from San Diego to Pearl so I can't imagine they would waste a week when they could start doing some stuff.

(yeah I know a tad off topic, but I am a dork for stuff like this)

They have got to be flying shipyard workers over to HNL to start work on the ride back to the mainland. In the Navy it took us a week to get from San Diego to Pearl so I can't imagine they would waste a week when they could start doing some stuff.

(yeah I know a tad off topic, but I am a dork for stuff like this)

I think it's the general consensus that they will start ripping things out on the way to SF. No-one knows for sure exactly what they are upgrading for $30 million :eek:, just hope it's all finished before we sail, within reason anyway. Cannot complain at the rate compared to the normal 7-day :D

Or as they sometimes call it....."wet dock". Have seen photos/videos of how it's been done on Crystal and it's amazing. The stories I've been told by some of the officers involved - oy!!

The last pre-dry dock sailing ends in HNL on Feb 20, 2016. NCL has until March 15 to deadhead Eastbound and get the work done before boarding pax in SFO for the return sail back to the Islands.

Nice itinerary for the return sail. SF, 5 days at sea, Kahalui, Hilo, Kona, overnight Kauai, HNL.

I read elsewhere the work was originally to be done in HNL, but the Navy bumped them from the dock space, thus to move to SF as Plan B.

You didn't state SF-Hawaii, a very unusual (but cool) situation. Hence I assumed you were an international arrival into Hawaii.

YVR/YYZ....oops, my bad!

Sorry....I was more concerned about the process at LAX on the return home :o

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't matter if you are from Canada, US, or Mars, HNL-LAX is a domestic flight, so no immigration upon arrival at LAX. :)

Yes, however there are several Canadian airports with US pre-clearance before you board the flight to the US. So, perhaps the OP was curious if the reverse situation existed, where you might have Canadian pre-clearance at certain US airports before the flight to Canada (which there aren't).

Yes, however there are several Canadian airports with US pre-clearance before you board the flight to the US. So, perhaps the OP was curious if the reverse situation existed, where you might have Canadian pre-clearance at certain US airports before the flight to Canada (which there aren't).

Maybe, but it still doesn't matter. The OP is flying HNL-LAX. That is a domestic flight, so no immigration on either end. Now, if the OP wanted to know if there was immigration pre-clearance for Canadians for flights departing LAX and arriving in Canada, that's a completely different question.

What I really wanted to know was ....what kind of fuss do I need to go through at LAX. :) I'm a worrier and want to know the process ahead of time. Using "immigration/customs" was my mistake, sorry :o

It appears there will be no fuss at LAX to change planes, get off one plane and get on another, no security checks, no customs, no immigration, no bags to collect and recheck, no terminal change, etc. I'm good with that and appreciate everyone's input to set my mind at ease. :)

I'm a once-or-twice-a-year traveler, as I'm sure you can tell :p :D

Now, if the OP wanted to know if there was immigration pre-clearance for Canadians for flights departing LAX and arriving in Canada, that's a completely different question.

Isn't that exactly what I suggested the question might have been?

Edited by DanJ

Isn't that exactly what I suggested the question might have been?

Yes, but again-- the OP was asking about HNL-LAX. He said nothing about a flight to Canada, only that he happened to be Canadian, which as I pointed out, is irrelevant when flying HNL-LAX. We could speculate all day on what he might have really meant to ask; I answered the question he actually did ask.

Yes, but again-- the OP was asking about HNL-LAX. He said nothing about a flight to Canada, only that he happened to be Canadian, which as I pointed out, is irrelevant when flying HNL-LAX. We could speculate all day on what he might have really meant to ask; I answered the question he actually did ask.

Actually I did say I was flying to Canada in my first post, and I also asked "where will I go through customs/immigration".

Sorry if my post was confusing or questions unclear :o but do I appreciate everyone's input :)

Post #2, by Zach1213, answered my questions so all is good. :)

Thanks.