Bringing wine on board

cabinluvn

We want to buy some wine on our next cruise to take home, since we'll be arriving in Rotterdam, 20 minutes from home, no airline weight limit etc.

We won't be buying it on a HAL tour and won't be consuming it on board. Do we still have to pay a charge or do they keep it untill disembarking time ?

No charge. They will keep it until disembarkation. That's the other option - is they keep it and you don't pay corkage.

Sorry that posted in error

Off topic but just to explain in case anyone saw what I posted about a tree going down.... we had a momentary power cut here, fierce winds - I was texting a friend from my phone and for some weird reason the text appeared here!

Off topic but just to explain in case anyone saw what I posted about a tree going down.... we had a momentary power cut here, fierce winds - I was texting a friend from my phone and for some weird reason the text appeared here!

I had just posted my question, when your reply came up...:confused:

The wonders of e-messaging !

but plastic doesn't. Used to bring 2 bottles on a cruise but new rules make it difficult so we use Rumrunners that don's show up on screening. Wonder if we bring our rum and vodka in plastic original bottles will show. Anyone have that experience?

but plastic doesn't. Used to bring 2 bottles on a cruise but new rules make it difficult so we use Rumrunners that don's show up on screening. Wonder if we bring our rum and vodka in plastic original bottles will show. Anyone have that experience?

You might be surprised! I have heard of rum runners and other such stuff being caught.

sorry, can't help as we don't smuggle.

I certainly hope so!

Am always amazed when someone comes on CC and asks how they can break the rules. :rolleyes:

If I want to bring my favorite brands that the ship doesn't offer is it anyones need to condemn me? I am sure that there are other cruisers who do the same and just don't post it on CC. Let those who don't carry abottle cast the first soda.:cool:

If I want to bring my favorite brands that the ship doesn't offer is it anyones need to condemn me? I am sure that there are other cruisers who do the same and just don't post it on CC. Let those who don't carry abottle cast the first soda.:cool:

of course I carry bottles on board - and pay the corkage ;) The very reason I bring wine on board.

When it comes to liquor we manage with the ship's choices since it is not permitted.

I can cast all the soda I want ... THAT is allowed :D Your favorite brands however are not !

They don't carry my favourite wine, either, but I make a different choice for a week or two, unless I want to bring it on and pay the corkage. No biggie. I am a rule-follower, however.

If I want to bring my favorite brands that the ship doesn't offer is it anyones need to condemn me?

We don't "need" to tell you how to do it, either.

If you choose to break the rules, just do it and be quiet about it. Let the chips fall where they may. You might get away with it; you might not.

We had 3 adults in our cabin and brought 3 bottles in a wine grocery bag thing. Funny thing was, they never checked them nor did we see anyone anywhere to do this when we checked in. Couldn't figure out if it was supposed to be once we got on the ship or not. We saw a table that looks like it could have been used for this, but not one was there and it looked abandoned. It was our first HAL so we were clueless. We did only drink the wine in our cabin.

Since your question has brought a bit of criticism, I'll add my $0.02 and say that asking it does not seem very egregious in my book. However, I don't have the experience to provide an answer.

I'm a long time cruiser.. will be first on HAL.. I have always purchased wine packages or brought wine for cabin. I also at times would take a glass of wine outside of cabin to drink . I never had anyone say otherwise. Am I not suppose to do this??? The room steward would always replenish glasses too!

I'm a long time cruiser.. will be first on HAL.. I have always purchased wine packages or brought wine for cabin. I also at times would take a glass of wine outside of cabin to drink . I never had anyone say otherwise. Am I not suppose to do this??? The room steward would always replenish glasses too!

The rule was always that you are not to consume your own wine in public areas of the ship, unless in a bar, lounge or restaurant where you have paid corkage. The corkage-free wine is for in-cabin consumption: "This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom."

The "Connoisseur Excuse."

I'm sure it was tongue in cheek. The idea that there's nothing drinkable on board is, well, over-the-top to say the least.

"Wanting a favorite brand" is different than wanting something drinkable.

For my own tastes, "drinkable" is fine, although I have a strong preference for no-sulfite wine. I am more discriminating with beer, and don't find much on the HAL beer menu to look forward to. At any rate, why not take a post at face value rather than replying tongue-in-cheek?

"Wanting a favorite brand" is different than wanting something drinkable.

For my own tastes, "drinkable" is fine, although I have a strong preference for no-sulfite wine. I am more discriminating with beer, and don't find much on the HAL beer menu to look forward to. At any rate, why not take a post at face value rather than replying tongue-in-cheek?

So how do you smuggle the beer aboard?

So how do you smuggle the beer aboard?

I've never considered it. However, after reading similar threads on CC I mused as to what length of cruise would let one brew on board. The ingredients would be no trouble, but a fermentation vessel is a bit bulky. I doubt that it is explicitly not allowed.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

I've never considered it. However, after reading similar threads on CC I mused as to what length of cruise would let one brew on board. The ingredients would be no trouble, but a fermentation vessel is a bit bulky. I doubt that it is explicitly not allowed.

A collapsible 5 ltr jug would work, but heating/cooling (to control fermentation) would be a no-no most likely. And it would need to be a really long cruise...