Dining "wait list" question

YWW

We've always done Anytime dining in all previous cruises but since we generally dine early around 5:30pm anyway, we are changing our upcoming October New England/Canada cruise from Anytime dining to early 5:30pm traditional dining instead. However, that 5:30pm time slot is full and we are on waitlist #27. How likely will people on waitlist get the requested time slot? Do we get notified of our final wait status right before or after embarkation? If we remain on wait list, do we just go to Anytime dining instead?

Here's my experience for our October cruise & being on a dining time waitlist.

We booked after final payment & requested early traditional dining which is scheduled at 6:00. It was not available & we began at #51 on the waitlist for that time in the traditional dining room. We are confirmed at 5:30 which would be in one of the anytime dining rooms which has a traditional (assigned table) first seating before opening for AT dining at about 7:30.

Usually early traditional dining is most popular & like you we're past the final payment date so there probably won't be many cruise cancellations. In a couple of weeks we've moved from #51 to #43 but we're not optimistic of getting a 6:00 traditional dining room assignment. We're willing to accept either time & if not then we'd consider switching to AT dining if available.

We've always done Anytime dining in all previous cruises but since we generally dine early around 5:30pm anyway, we are changing our upcoming October New England/Canada cruise from Anytime dining to early 5:30pm traditional dining instead. However, that 5:30pm time slot is full and we are on waitlist #27. How likely will people on waitlist get the requested time slot? Do we get notified of our final wait status right before or after embarkation? If we remain on wait list, do we just go to Anytime dining instead?

If you don't clear just see the MD at the time/place listed in the Patter on embarkation day. Its usually in one of the DR's between 2p-3:30p. He can make it happen for you. ;)

If you don't clear just see the MD at the time/place listed in the Patter on embarkation day. Its usually in one of the DR's between 2p-3:30p. He can make it happen for you. ;)

I know that anything is possible but is it routine to be on a waitlist for a full dining room & to get it changed during boarding?

I ask because it's something we haven't experienced & I'm unaware if the maître d' can make it happen for each passenger.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I know that anything is possible but is it routine to be on a waitlist for a full dining room & to get it changed during boarding?

I ask because it's something we haven't experienced & I'm unaware if the maître d' can make it happen for each passenger.

The way it has been explained to me.........

The MD is the one to handle the load for the traditional/anytime DR's and has his gigantic seating chart there with him for each DR.

There is shuffling between DR's going on up to and during the cruise.

Its best to get there and be as close to the first in line as possible if you really want that fixed time.

There is not infinite space. ;)

The way it has been explained to me.........

The MD is the one to handle the load for the traditional/anytime DR's and has his gigantic seating chart there with him for each DR.

There is shuffling between DR's going on up to and during the cruise.

Its best to get there and be as close to the first in line as possible if you really want that fixed time.

There is not infinite space. ;)

Thanks Keith for sharing the process...I didn't know if it required greasing the maitre d's palms or not. :p

Anytime dining is always available, unless you are on a ship that only has traditional.

They don't limit the number of passengers who can have anytime? :confused:

I'd think there would be a limit to the number of passengers they could serve in anytime or there would be extremely long waits to be seated if most of the passengers wanted anytime dining. I can understand that it's usually possible to get anytime but I am skeptical that it is always available on ships with anytime dining.

Edited by Astro Flyer

When we took our cruises to New England/Canada, the average age was considerably older than on our cruises to the Caribbean and Alaska. Early traditional dining was full. Anytime dining before 7 also had long lines. We ended up eating later. I guess if you got to the dining room as it opened, you might not have a long wait.

We have had to make dining adjustments a few times, and have never had to grease the palms of anyone to do so. There will be a spot to meet the maitre'd to request any changes - and often, there's a few folks trying to move from traditional to anytime and vice versa. We've always been able to get the changes we want. And the one time we did try to tip the seating changes personnel - it was strongly turned down and told multiple times its not needed. They deal with dining changes all the time once onboard, even after the first day or two. They'll be able to accommodate you..

So we had waitlist #17 on ours for a long while but now it is gone so I am gathering they have now secured our table?

I just answered your post on the other thread you started. Yes, you are confirmed at 5:30pm. The W/L # applies if you, or any other passenger, were looking to book that time now. But you are confirmed. The drop-down lists shows the current status of all potential dining times. You are all set as long as 5:30pm is your desired time.

Thanks Keith for sharing the process...I didn't know if it required greasing the maitre d's palms or not. :p

If he moved heaven and earth to put some group together or something, but honestly, a couple of the MD's I have had do a table move for us I think would be almost insulted by offering some cash for this. I think genuine appreciation for fixing a simple situation is all that is needed. I'd mention on a card or on the survey if something extra was done.

In one case, I made a point to go back to the MD and personally thank him for the move and how very happy we were with our new waiter in the job he did. On our last cruise, I spent a couple of minutes with the section head waiter explaining how professional and yet approachable and friendly our waitress was. We found out during the cruise that her BF was a HW on another ship - no wonder as she probably got lots of good info and training from her B/F!! ;)

After I posted I noticed that ReedPrincess was posting a similar thought at the same time. Agree with that - as I said almost an insult.

Edited by steelers36
Update

I just answered your post on the other thread you started. Yes, you are confirmed at 5:30pm. The W/L # applies if you, or any other passenger, were looking to book that time now. But you are confirmed. The drop-down lists shows the current status of all potential dining times. You are all set as long as 5:30pm is your desired time.

Thanks for the answer steelers36, though I think you may have me confused with another poster? :confused:

Not at all. Although the whole procedure is more like that scene from the Godfather, where people are requesting favours of the Don on the day of his daughter's wedding. So you may not want to tip, but you might feel oddly compelled to kiss his ring . . .

They don't limit the number of passengers who can have anytime? :confused:

I'd think there would be a limit to the number of passengers they could serve in anytime or there would be extremely long waits to be seated if most of the passengers wanted anytime dining. I can understand that it's usually possible to get anytime but I am skeptical that it is always available on ships with anytime dining.

That is probably one of the reasons there are extremely long waits to be seated at popular dining times. Good luck getting your preferred TD time, so you can avoid that morass.

Thanks for the answer steelers36, though I think you may have me confused with another poster? :confused:

Yes I did. LOL!!! What are the chances of two different people thinking they are #17 on the W/L for 5:30pm. Maybe you actually were by the sounds of it, but not the other poster.

Edited by steelers36

Yes I did. LOL!!! What are the chances of two different people thinking they are #17 on the W/L for 5:30pm. Maybe you actually were by the sounds of it, but not the other poster.

ROFL what had me confused was we were waitlisted #17 for the 6:00pm session on our cruise so I wasn't sure where the 5:30 came from?

Once you are confirmed of your dining time and your table size preference (e.g. table for 2), will your table size be guaranteed or will you be asked at the door to change your table preference to share a large table with other diners? I'm asking because I read several posts from some cruisers that they requested table of 2 but ended up seating in a table of 8 or 10 instead.

We're on the New England Cruise but in late Sept. This was the first time we were waitlisted for anytime dining. We decided to have late traditional dining at 8pm so we don't have to rush after the shore excursions.

That you will get Traditional dining by seeing the Maitre' d when boarding.

Several years ago a friend and I tried ,there was no space.The compromise was he reserved us another space at a certain time in the 'Any time' dining room.

We normally meet with the Maitre D' and give him a tip.

It works every time.

consider giving it a go.

If the dining room is full at that time,even with a tip he might suggest a set time in ' Anytime '.

The spaces that will be available are those that others have decided at the last minute to go 'Anytime'....Then its first come,first get that space.

Once you are confirmed of your dining time and your table size preference (e.g. table for 2), will your table size be guaranteed or will you be asked at the door to change your table preference to share a large table with other diners? I'm asking because I read several posts from some cruisers that they requested table of 2 but ended up seating in a table of 8 or 10 instead.

The request for table size in the personalizer is only a request. Sometimes you will get it, sometimes not. That's why it's a good idea to meet with the Maitre d as soon as you can. You won't know if you have your request until you see the actual table you've been assigned. This applies to traditional dining, of course.

Once you are confirmed of your dining time and your table size preference (e.g. table for 2), will your table size be guaranteed or will you be asked at the door to change your table preference to share a large table with other diners?

You will not " be asked at the door to change your table preference to share a large table with other diners."

However, if a table for two is not available for you, the larger table size will be pre-assigned before you board the ship.

Everything shredie says below is accurate.

The request for table size in the personalizer is only a request. Sometimes you will get it, sometimes not. That's why it's a good idea to meet with the Maitre d as soon as you can. You won't know if you have your request until you see the actual table you've been assigned. This applies to traditional dining, of course.