I wish HAL would Price Match

jt58203

My next cruise is [unfortunately] over a year away. I snagged an awesome deal about a month ago on Princess for $649 each for their best inside cabin on Regal Princess for a Canada/New England Cruise departing NYC. I would love to be on the Rotterdam, departing the same day, but from Boston. Their best price, per person, for a 7-night itinerary departing on the same day is $1799 EACH! (For an inside, mind you!). My PCC is on vacation this week and a different PCC emailed me and said HAL doesn't price match.

Of course I will watch for upcoming sales/promotions. I really doubt if a great price will come before the end of July when my final payment is due to Princess.

We are not aware of any cruise line that does price matching against other cruise lines. In fact, HAL will not even match the prices offered by some cruise agencies for HAL cruises :). Personally, having cruised quite often on both Princess and HAL we would be very happy to be on Princess. And our last experience on the Rotterdam was among our worst experience...ever....on HAL (we have about 370 days on HAL).

Hank

HAl is notorious for charging extremely high prices out of the gate and giving away the farm at the end. I know that some folks enjoy paying those prices because they get to pick their room or dining choice. I would like to see Hal offer a more moderate price further out even if it was for guarantees only. I have to admit princess does have some attractive pricing on some of their cruises.

We are not aware of any cruise line that does price matching against other cruise lines. In fact, HAL will not even match the prices offered by some cruise agencies for HAL cruises :). Personally, having cruised quite often on both Princess and HAL we would be very happy to be on Princess. And our last experience on the Rotterdam was among our worst experience...ever....on HAL (we have about 370 days on HAL).

Hank

Celebrity doesn't price match. We have a family cruise booked on the Silhouette and they charge Neptune Suite prices for what is a slightly smaller room than a HAL Signature Suite. However, we're on a family trip and Celebrity is the consensus choice.

HAl is notorious for charging extremely high prices out of the gate and giving away the farm at the end. I know that some folks enjoy paying those prices because they get to pick their room or dining choice. I would like to see Hal offer a more moderate price further out even if it was for guarantees only. I have to admit princess does have some attractive pricing on some of their cruises.

I don't think anyone enjoys paying higher prices.:rolleyes: Some do have to plan for vacations and that means booking early. simple. Flights are normally cheaper booking early out (let alone getting seats on the puddle hopper) and of course, if you book early you can use FF miles.

In our case, it may prove to be to our advantage. By booking our cruise early we snatched HAL's OLD Canadian dollar rate. It was still close to par (about 5% I think) and now, they are catching up. So our cruise is up nearly 15% in exchange rate alone. and I suspect it will get higher. I don't think any "giving the farm away" will make up for the exchange rate savings in this case.

So, all in all, I suspect our Westerdam cruise will be cheaper because we booked early thanks to the falling loonie. There's two sides to every coin.

I don't think anyone enjoys paying higher prices.:rolleyes: Some do have to plan for vacations and that means booking early. simple. Flights are normally cheaper booking early out (let alone getting seats on the puddle hopper) and of course, if you book early you can use FF miles.

In our case, it may prove to be to our advantage. By booking our cruise early we snatched HAL's OLD Canadian dollar rate. It was still close to par (about 5% I think) and now, they are catching up. So our cruise is up nearly 15% in exchange rate alone. and I suspect it will get higher. I don't think any "giving the farm away" will make up for the exchange rate savings in this case.

So, all in all, I suspect our Westerdam cruise will be cheaper because we booked early thanks to the falling loonie. There's two sides to every coin.

I'm imagine most people have to plan for vacations. Some may be able to go at a drop of a hat but likely not many. I booked my flight for my October cruise a few months back. Now that it's next month the air is actually cheaper now. I got a very good rate on air about 15 days before a cruise in April. The old theories don't always ring true.

Regal Princess - 3,600 passengers

HAL Rotterdam - 1,300 passengers

The old principles apply: economies of scale, and best to compare apples to apples when looking for matching prices.

I've found prices to be generally higher on smaller ships.

Bingo.

My post was poorly worded. I meant to say I agree. That said, they could have a better pricing policy then they have right now. I know some like to disagree just because it's me saying it :D. Not even two weeks after I made final payment my cruise had a price reduction. Two weeks after that another one. You can't tell me they didn't know the cruise wasn't selling as well as they hoped that close to final. Luckily I have gotten some obc to make up for it.

I don't think anyone enjoys paying higher prices.:rolleyes: Some do have to plan for vacations and that means booking early. simple. >SNIP<

You are correct about not enjoying paying the earlier, sometimes higher prices. But that's what we do because we need to arrange time off from work well in advance of our actual vacation. I realize that isn't a consideration for some cruisers, but it certainly is for us. We do not have the luxury of booking last-minute, because we are both still working.

I'm imagine most people have to plan for vacations. Some may be able to go at a drop of a hat but likely not many. I booked my flight for my October cruise a few months back. Now that it's next month the air is actually cheaper now. I got a very good rate on air about 15 days before a cruise in April. The old theories don't always ring true.

I guess you missed the part on the savings for Canadians by booking early? Assuming any of our cabins are available (and the 30 day is already sold out), there are going to have be some serious price drops in thousands of dollars at the rate things are going to get below our booking price.

Old theories don't always hold true, but they do most times and I can assure you that if you are using Aeroplan or FF miles, the best flights are between 355 and 340 days out generally. I'll happily pay the change fee if I find I better one later on. It hasn't happened.

The Regal Princess is a wonderful ship. We did not feel crowded, the diversity and quality of the entertainment was superior to anything offered on HAL, the food was equivalent and the overall service excellent. I think you made a very wise choice and I would stop looking at prices for this cruise. Comparing the Rotterdam and Regal Princess is akin to comparing nails and bananas ... they are so different! Just be happy with your choice and enjoy everything Princess has to offer. Maybe a HAL cruise will be next!

Edited by taxmantoo

At least one of the luxury cruise lines has gone to a guaranteed low price program. In essence if they put a cruise or cabin category on sale the new price is retroactively applied to all reservations right up to the sailing.

At least one of the luxury cruise lines has gone to a guaranteed low price program. In essence if they put a cruise or cabin category on sale the new price is retroactively applied to all reservations right up to the sailing.

Is that Silversea Randy? inquiring minds would like to know.

Oceania rarely has last minute sales, but they do this time and I can tell you that some got it, some didn't and some did a LOT better than others (not me for the LOT better, but o.k.).

However, I still can't say I should have waited as O HAS to be paid in US $ so by paying when I did I am still ahead of the game (at least by my calculations). I imagine they along with other lines that MUST be paid in USD will take a hit from the Cdn clients with the way the exchange rates are going.

Edited by kazu

Is that Silversea Randy? inquiring minds would like to know.

Yes, it is Silversea. They used to do some massive sales and incentives but about three or four years ago they revamped their whole promotions and marketing approach and basically have stopped sales or have them infrequently. Anyhow, it is nice knowing that you cabin book early or whenever and not risk having a last minute sale undermine your initial fare.

Edited by Randyk47

My next cruise is [unfortunately] over a year away. I snagged an awesome deal about a month ago on Princess for $649 each for their best inside cabin on Regal Princess for a Canada/New England Cruise departing NYC. I would love to be on the Rotterdam, departing the same day, but from Boston. Their best price, per person, for a 7-night itinerary departing on the same day is $1799 EACH! (For an inside, mind you!). My PCC is on vacation this week and a different PCC emailed me and said HAL doesn't price match.

Of course I will watch for upcoming sales/promotions. I really doubt if a great price will come before the end of July when my final payment is due to Princess.

It's a long time before your final payment is due to Princess. There will be some sales and offers before then. I know that everyone can't wait until the last minute, but it's possible prices will drop. Last year, I got a really low price on the Veendam for a Canada/New England cruise. I saw a similar deal again this year. As I mentioned, many don't have the luxury to wait. I would keep watching prices. As for your main point, there's never going to be a price match like you suggest. This is a business and they want to sell each cabin at the highest price possible. If someone is willing to pay the price the cruise line will gladly accept it. As for Princess, there's a lot of cabins to fill and they sometimes have a low price early on to fill up cabins and then the price often increases as time goes on. The Regal is a big ship. HAL is banking on the fact that there are people who are willing to pay a premium to be on a small ship.

We have found little advantage to booking overseas air early. For the past three years our flights have been booked 45 days out at prices equal to or less than the 90-180 day pricing. This is a bit of a pleasant surprise to us.

Edited by iancal

Yes, it is Silversea. They used to do some massive sales and incentives but about three or four years ago they revamped their whole promotions and marketing approach and basically have stopped sales or have them infrequently. Anyhow, it is nice knowing that you cabin book early or whenever and not risk having a last minute sale undermine your initial fare.

thanks Randy. good to know.

They've definitely changed their pricing strategy, with a shift towards favoring early booking.

They're in the process of moving most of their North American headquarters personnel to the Miami.

http://www.silversea.com/media/press-releases/silversea-cruises-americas-office-is-relocating-to-miami/

and changing a fair bit of their infrastructure.

Just to add something: you would need to compare prices for a similar size cabin on both lines/ships to be fair. I just checked and the Rotterdam listed sf for inside cabins is significantly larger than the Regal's. Do your own search to see what is important. Sometimes those are the differences that make a price differential important from one person to another.

All that being said, I doubt you would have any problem taking the Regal cruise...sounds lovely. Save your money for a different cruise another time.

Price matching cruises would be like price matching bananas to raspberries...very different for lots of reasons even though they are both fruits.

In all my years of cruising, which is quite a few, I have never heard of any cruise line price matching another cruise line.

You just gave me a great idea. Do you think we would have any luck by calling Regent and asking if they would match HAL's pricing ? :D:D

Hank