Current Bookings on Board

gimletgal

Does anyone have a copy of one of the flyers that are currently being distributed regarding the booking on board program? I would specifically like to know how OBC is being handled and if the option to use it for the cruise being booked, rather than the one you are on is available. Thanks to anyone who has cruised recently.

Let me phrase this a little differently. Has anyone on these boards recently booked a cruise while on board? If so, can you share with us what the offerings were regarding OBC? Thanks much!

Thanks for asking this question Beth, I'm following for the answer also. We are book for April 2017 and wonder if it will be worthwhile to re-book while we are sailing in November. Only a few more months!!:D

Just came back from the Summit.The flyer is very vague. But I was explained the following. In addition to BBB you get additional OBC for OV - Balcony -

7 days cruise - $150.00/ cabin

10-12 days - $200/ cabin,

14 and longer - $250.00/ cabin.

For booking a suite for 7 days - $500.00

It sounded like it might vary from ship to ship, destination and cabin category.

When you book on board - best to check what they are offering for a specific cruise.

Edited by ISABELLA

Just came back from the Summit.The flyer is very vague. But I was explained the following. In addition to BBB you get additional OBC for OV - Balcony -

It sounded like it might vary from ship to ship, destination and cabin category.

When you book on board - best to check what they are offering for a specific cruise.

Same as we were quoted last week on Equinox. They appear to be pushing the BBB more than anything and they are explaining the savings as opposed to telling you how much per day it costs extra. When I questioned the future cruise staff regarding the 'better' package costing me more than I was receiving, I was met with a shrug of the shoulders.

I understand it's all about sales, but I think it's totally wrong to just highlight the 'so called' savings without actually stating what the extra charge per day is. They even have a coloured spreadsheet showing the savings - no mention of how the extra charge is broken down per day. I'm sure some pax will just book without calculating the difference it costs between the 2 packages and what the actual cost of the perks they are receiving is.

Does anyone know if it's the same for non US residents? Currently booking over the Internet or phone we in the UK get just classic drinks package and second traveller 50% discount (bookings made by end Sept this year). As we don't get the BBB I wonder what they are offering for onboard booking to Brits like us?

Thanks so much! Can you tell me anything about any OBC that is applied to the cruise you are on? This seems to be a huge "bone of contention" whereas in the past, all OBC would go to the cruise you were booking.

Many already have plenty of OBC on current cruises, and don't want any more.

Somebody posted a link to a flyer describing the current onboard booking process. Can't remember what thread. It was a flyer sent to travel agents. It stated that the OBC booking bonus must be used on the current cruise. Not what I'm looking for. I ran into that buzz saw on Infinity on May and consequently did not book a future cruise.

Same as we were quoted last week on Equinox. They appear to be pushing the BBB more than anything and they are explaining the savings as opposed to telling you how much per day it costs extra. When I questioned the future cruise staff regarding the 'better' package costing me more than I was receiving, I was met with a shrug of the shoulders.

I understand it's all about sales, but I think it's totally wrong to just highlight the 'so called' savings without actually stating what the extra charge per day is. They even have a coloured spreadsheet showing the savings - no mention of how the extra charge is broken down per day. I'm sure some pax will just book without calculating the difference it costs between the 2 packages and what the actual cost of the perks they are receiving is.

I agree that the "Better" alternative almost never makes financial sense but how would you like to be the on board booking representative stuck explaining that policy when you didn't make it but have to implement it?

As far as using the OBC on future, rather than current, cruises. I think the reps have leeway. On our cruise last year on the Eclipse I happened to get a really knowledgeable rep and while he recommended putting the OBC on our current cruise he was able to put it on our future one when I requested that instead.

The onboard deals have historically been the same for everyone. The change it seems almost weekly and definitely vary not only by length of cruise and cabin but the ship and destination. Impossible to predict what will exist from week to week.

We booked a 14 day cruise for 2017 while on Infinity last week. Got the "big" promo, one category upgrade (2C to 2B) and $250 OBC for the future cruise. The rep did not offer us the OBC to be used on the current cruise. We did the booking 6 days before the end of our cruise. Our "big" promo choice showed up on the reservation online a couple days later.

We booked a 14 day cruise for 2017 while on Infinity last week. Got the "big" promo, one category upgrade (2C to 2B) and $250 OBC for the future cruise. The rep did not offer us the OBC to be used on the current cruise. We did the booking 6 days before the end of our cruise. Our "big" promo choice showed up on the reservation online a couple days later.

That's good to know. Thanks!

Somebody posted a link to a flyer describing the current onboard booking process. Can't remember what thread. It was a flyer sent to travel agents. It stated that the OBC booking bonus must be used on the current cruise. Not what I'm looking for. I ran into that buzz saw on Infinity on May and consequently did not book a future cruise.

Happy Cruiser - I think you just got an incredibly bad future cruise sales rep.

I wonder if he/she got a higher commission for pushing the OBC to be used only on the current cruise or if he/she was just misinformed.

Happy Cruiser - I think you just got an incredibly bad future cruise sales rep.

I wonder if he/she got a higher commission for pushing the OBC to be used only on the current cruise or if he/she was just misinformed.

Two different people got the same story from two different FCCs on that cruise.

Thanks for coming back to report your experience. I'll give it a try on Equinox next month.

Linda

I got the feeling that FCC agents are not trained in all details of BBB in conjunction with booking on board benefits. It took good 5 min for them to find what is OBC for 14 days cruise - balcony. She wasn't exactly sure. The flyer said - upto $500 OBC. And YES - they only outline " SAVINGS" :rolleyes: based on beverage packages ( they are most picked and worthy????) When some people see, that they will save $XXX, they are happy, not realizing that it will cost them $XXX+.

I always book something on board, but not this time. I have 3 cruises booked for next year and none with X. Pricing for similar ships and itineraries higher for me, traveling solo.

I agree that the "Better" alternative almost never makes financial sense but how would you like to be the on board booking representative stuck explaining that policy when you didn't make it but have to implement it?

As far as using the OBC on future, rather than current, cruises. I think the reps have leeway. On our cruise last year on the Eclipse I happened to get a really knowledgeable rep and while he recommended putting the OBC on our current cruise he was able to put it on our future one when I requested that instead.

Which is why I said that it wasn't his fault, and the people that had come up with this new promotion should be the ones having to explain why I would be paying more for perks than they are worth. IMHO, they are not being completely upfront in the way they are promoting the new scheme. They only highlight the savings and give totals, not what it is actually costing per day as an up-charge over the base price.

We have also had trouble getting what we are "suppose" to and having to correct the FC salesman. However, the Celebrity reps overall are pretty good at knowing their stuff. Had trouble on the Equinox last winter. I know that chamima and I were told 2 different things by the same rep. She ended up producing a paper that allowed he to get some extra credit that we did not get. I was able to work it out once back home. ;)

The worse experience we ever had was trying to book a Celebrity cruise while on a RCCL cruise. I will never try that again! That is if we even attempt another RCCL cruise. :rolleyes:

Could someone please answer my Post#21 question?

Edited by Iamthesea

We have also had trouble getting what we are "suppose" to and having to correct the FC salesman. However, the Celebrity reps overall are pretty good at knowing their stuff. Had trouble on the Equinox last winter. I know that chamima and I were told 2 different things by the same rep. She ended up producing a paper that allowed he to get some extra credit that we did not get. I was able to work it out once back home. ;)

The worse experience we ever had was trying to book a Celebrity cruise while on a RCCL cruise. I will never try that again! That is if we even attempt another RCCL cruise. :rolleyes:

Could someone please answer my Post#21 question?

If it makes you feel any better we added the "Spring" promotion when we got home, which lowered our fare but we lost the extra $50 in OBC that we got on board.

(We have 3 future cruises booked and on some the fare savings were exactly that same $50 so it was a wash but after all the work the TA had to do to get Celebrity to add it I just left it alone.)