Thank you gift for parents

coondogg97

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post, I am kind of at a loss here. My parents for the first time are taking the entire family on a cruise. I'd like to buy them some kind of present as a thank you, but I can't think of what to get them. We ordered a cheese tray and had it sent to them on one cruise and as much as they appreciated it, they said we were insane. You're on a cruise with food everywhere why the heck pay for cheese, which makes sense so I would like to stay away from food. They don't drink and rarely go on excursions anymore. Since we will be with them on this cruise we can always bring something with us and leave it in their room. I was thinking a GoPro but they will have no idea what to do with it and would still use their phones for everything.

Any suggestions are appreciated as I am at a complete loss on this one.

Thanks

I second the photo idea. Family pictures are the best gift of all. You could arrange for several different poses such as all the grandchildren together, the grown children etc. My sister in law insisted on keeping a picture we had given to my mother in law (who died) because it turned out so great. My son, daughter and niece all dressed up and looking pretty darn dapper.

You could also send flowers to their cabin. See if they can get a behind the scenes tour or if your cruise line has something like on Princess, the Chef's Table, which is a spectacular evening.

You don't say how big your group is. Again, I can only speak for Princess but on every group cruise we take we arrange for a one hour private party on board. We arrange it before we go and pay for it in advance. Our group is usually between 18 to 26. They block off a public space for an hour, put up a sign, have a bartender and server. It is the only required thing we do together.

We have done coffee cups for our group with the ship name, date, cruise destination (Caribbean, Panama Canal) and everybody in the group's name on the mug.

This is so very nice of you to do.

Just some thoughts.

One is to take lots of photos on the cruise and when you get home to make a scrap book for your parents and to include the photos and other memories of the cruise.

The other one would be to have a photo taken of the entire family, purchase it and when you get home put it in a frame and give it to your parents.

Keith

I would go with the flowers -- to be delivered on Embarkation day.

Then have the photographers take a group picture of the entire family which you can buy.

Take many pictures yourself and then put together a photo album when you get home.

Maybe also arrange for a dinner in one of the specialty restaurants for everyone.

As a parent who is taking her children on a trip next summer I do not want my kids to get me anything. I know you want to thank them but In my case I just want to do this for my children. I don't want them spending their money on me. They can spend it on fun stuff on their trips. But, that doesn't answer your question.

As with many others I'd say on board credit would be nice if you want to do something. Or if your crafty, I always make a photo album on shutterfly (after I have everyone load their photos onto it.) and give one to everyone that went on the trip. Everyone loves them and we look at them over and over and over.

Edited by sprint180

Wow, this is the first chance I had to check this post and I am floored. Thanks for all the great suggestions!!

As a parent who is taking her children on a trip next summer I do not want my kids to get me anything. I know you want to thank them but In my case I just want to do this for my children. I don't want them spending their money on me. They can spend it on fun stuff on their trips. But, that doesn't answer your question.

As with many others I'd say on board credit would be nice if you want to do something. Or if your crafty, I always make a photo album on shutterfly (after I have everyone load their photos onto it.) and give one to everyone that went on the trip. Everyone loves them and we look at them over and over and over.

Mom?!? This is to the tee what my mother would (will) say. But I wouldn't feel right not getting them a little something to say thank you. They know we all appreciate them and what they have done and continue to do for us.

I think the picture idea is the best. If I am able to plan a dinner the night of embarkation I should be able to get a nice picture with all of us. So by the second day on the cruise I will be able to get the photo & frame and they will be able to look at it for the week.

We are cruising on the NCL Breakaway and there is a total of 12 of us.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, they were perfect!

Edited by coondogg97

Wow, this is the first chance I had to check this post and I am floored. Thanks for all the great suggestions!!

Mom?!? This is to the tee what my mother would (will) say. But I wouldn't feel right not getting them a little something to say thank you. They know we all appreciate them and what they have done and continue to do for us.

I think the picture idea is the best. If I am able to plan a dinner the night of embarkation I should be able to get a nice picture with all of us. So by the second day on the cruise I will be able to get the photo & frame and they will be able to look at it for the week.

We are cruising on the NCL Breakaway and there is a total of 12 of us.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, they were perfect!

Excellent!!!!!!! Great choice. I know this is what I would want also. A great memory photo.

BTW.....The Breakaway is a GREAT ship. Have a wonderful time. :)