What do yout only eat on a cruise.......

lahlah57

This thread really opened up a whole food glossary of items that people look forward to eating on their cruise. I thought my beans on toast was an oddball item and we moved on to escargot.....lox and bagels.....lamb shanks......wiggly bacon......souffles.....etc.

By the way what is brown sauce instead of ketchup:confused:

Good thing I didn't ask about your fave pre-dinner drink :p

image.jpg.afcc9fd00c4236d13f5288795e30528f.jpg

Yum :D

A spicy, tangy sauce - fabulous in bacon sandwiches!

Butter and garlic sounds good. Guess I'll just have to put my big girl panties on and try them. Maybe they'll become my "cruise only" food too. :)

Thanks!!

Yeah--I can't say I like the actual snail meat very much, but the sauce is delish.

On cruises I eat lots and lots of crispy bacon at breakfast--hardly ever at home--and like to try different dishes that I'd never make myself.

Desserts, of course! We usually only make real desserts for holidays.

On Princess I love the baked cheese tart(? that's not what's it is called--drawing a blank) from the International cafe.

I love this thread!!!

When we go on vacation we have a rule about food. On land vacations, we almost never eat at a chain restaurant (unless it's a chain we don't have access to at home). Onboard, we try to opt for things we've never tried before. It's not always been a culinary success for us (curried goat, turtle stew), but it's always been interesting.

On our last cruise our five year-old granddaughter (who knows the Vacation Eating Rule) tried - and loved - frogs legs. It was the first thing she told her pre-school class about when we returned. :)

We have that same rule. We love trying Local restaurants or chains we have never been to. :D

On the ship, I will usually order poached eggs and hash for breakfast. My poached eggs are never as good as on the ship.

Dinner time means Escargot for me and frog legs for DH.

The gelato served on X Reflection at Cafe Gelateria was some of the best that we had ever had. We rarely have gelato at home, sticking with ice-cream instead.

We have found that a lot of the foods offered on cruise ships is of lower quality than we enjoy at home. There are some hits, of course, but for the most part, we find the food simply okay. We have not found a cruise line that we can say it's all about the food. Our last cruise was in the Aquaclass on X and the food in Blu was really good. Certainly much better than the standard cruise line fare. We would certainly chose it again over the MDR experience.

the Macaroons at the coffee shop on X cruise lines are the best I have ever had...ANYWHERE. :) My DH and I were disappointed in Blu. We were a little surprised, because people have told us it was great. But everyone's tastes are different. :)

i love the pumpkin soup..never ate it before till i started cruising..

I will try a little bit of this and a little bit of that to see what i like, if I haven't tried something before...most times all good..

what I hate on the ships is the bacon...yuck...and I love bacon...i will not eat it..

The herring on HAL! Pickled, in sour cream, wine sauce, any way I can get it. Also the lamb, steaks, and prime rib. I live with 2 vegetarians and get the stink eye when I have red meat on my plate!:mad:

Look in the refrigerated area of your large supermarkets. Our markets carry Vita brand herring in bottles of picked with onions and/or bottles of herring pickled in bottles with onions and sour cream. It is an everyday products in Boston area and most large markets carry it.

I'm so surprised to read how many have bagels, smoked salmon, capers and cream cheese as a treat on the ships. That is so readily available in every grocery store in my area. Almost every market sells bagels, packages of smoked salmon in every major market, certain cream cheese and capers......

It confuses me why folks don't have it at home, seeing they like it. It isn't like it's hard to make. Toast a bagel and done. :)

I am also very surprised to read that so many folks love the bagels because I am sitting here thinking that the one thing I WON'T eat on a cruise would be a bagel. I live in NY, the home of the best bagels so we do eat them at home all the time. The bagels on a cruise ship just do not cut it for us. On the other hand bangers, anything lamb, grits with cheese and any shell fish dish are things we really enjoy.

I am also very surprised to read that so many folks love the bagels because I am sitting here thinking that the one thing I WON'T eat on a cruise would be a bagel. I live in NY, the home of the best bagels so we do eat them at home all the time. The bagels on a cruise ship just do not cut it for us. On the other hand bangers, anything lamb, grits with cheese and any shell fish dish are things we really enjoy.

So true...bagels are readily available everywhere here.....BUT.....a New York bagel...I understand....are sent fro heaven. Cruise ship bagels are just grocery store available.:(

On Princess I love the baked cheese tart(? that's not what's it is called--drawing a blank) from the International cafe.

Hi,

It's called Quiche, there are many types of Quiche depending on the added ingredients such as bacon, asparagus etc.

Pete

We watch our diet and weight when home, but on a cruise, I overindulge. DH as more willpower and eats salads or veggies only for lunch daily.

DH

Escargot

Nightly martini (or two)!

Dessert

Me

Still dreaming of the asiago cheese, proscuitto and delicious bread on MSC....really overdid that!

mashed potatoes

dessert

Lots of screwdrivers and wine

Heavy italian entrees

Thankfully, we work out in fitness center daily and/or do excursions that involve alot of walking or swimming. DH usually gains 3 lbs on a 10 day cruise...I gain 5!

Beans on toast is common in my family for breakfast and even dinner. Sometimes we add fried eggs and pea meal bacon.

While cruising, I love lox, cream cheese and bagel for breakfast.

I enjoy The indulgence of a nice garbage dog for lunch (a hotdog with everything possible on it). I never eat hotdogs at home.

Deserts of any kind are also something I never indulge in at home. I do love a bit of something sweet after dining while cruising.

Beans on toast is common in my family for breakfast and even dinner. Sometimes we add fried eggs and pea meal bacon.

While cruising, I love lox, cream cheese and bagel for breakfast.

I enjoy The indulgence of a nice garbage dog for lunch (a hotdog with everything possible on it). I never eat hotdogs at home.

Deserts of any kind are also something I never indulge in at home. I do love a bit of something sweet after dining while cruising.

:D because I suffer Gout from time to time, I avoid beans on toast at home, but on a cruise once a week, with bacon seems acceptable to my acidic system.

Hi,

It's called Quiche, there are many types of Quiche depending on the added ingredients such as bacon, asparagus etc.

Pete

Quiche isn't a baked cheese tart though.

Quiche is an egg based tart with bacon etc added.

There used to be a saying "Real men Dont eat quiche" comedians often quote it finishing with "But I sure love me Bacon and Egg pie".

Basically the same creature.

Are you kidding.....fried bread......hard boiled eggs battered and deep fried?!?!

Did anyone hear that ???? I think heart valves were slamming shut on cruise ships around the world!!!

Both are sort of actually British staples (although you can get Asian battered eggs too)

Deep fried eggs in sausage meat and bread crumbs are called 'Scotch eggs' and are sold in every snack and sandwich section of a supermarkets...great delicious picnic item. Carnival had them at the breakfast buffet along with Quiche. Us UK lot found this amusing.

article-1298382-0A8889B6000005DC-297_468x286.jpg

Fried bread is an option with almost every English cooked breakfast served here...whether you are in a bed and breakfast or in a greasy cafe. I know a lot of people that hate it though including myself.

525824494_d256e4e654_o.jpg

Edited by Velvetwater

Guest maddycat
Look in the refrigerated area of your large supermarkets. Our markets carry Vita brand herring in bottles of picked with onions and/or bottles of herring pickled in bottles with onions and sour cream. It is an everyday products in Boston area and most large markets carry it.

In New Jersey Vita brand herring products can be found in the Kosher refrigerated section in all of the large supermarkets. I just had the herring in cream sauce for lunch a couple of days ago.......great with a fresh from the garden Jersey tomato.