Luminae nearing the six month mark?

Wj420

No, someone above asked if anything was served "as a starter" to dinner. They have bread, but of course there are Starters on the menu.

Also, we did ask for a salad a couple of times and found Lumanae to be very accommodating. We were on the Constellation out of Venice on Aug 23rd

We always got a sorbet "intermezzo" between the app & main course. This was in the MDR on the Eclipse. I'm sure that Luminae is most accomodating to requests. It's what we loved about dining in the Grills on Cunard.

Edited by keithm
spelling

What are the hours of breakfast in Luminae and the hours of lunch?

It depends on the ship. They try to shut breakfast down at 9:00 , 8:30 on port days. You CAN object but not with the hostess....the Food and Beverage manager/ officer. We got the hours extended by :30. I don't want to have to be down to breakfast before 8:30.

Lunch should be until 2:00, though on some ships they may try limit that too

Thank you for your reply.

is the Luminae dinner menu posted outside restaurant so you can preview it ?

We like to see the menu ahead of time to decide if we want to change to a specialty restaurant for that evening based on the appeal of that evening's menu. Thanks.

We were actually able to have our butler get the menu for us. He would also get the MDR and Blu menus so we can look at those to and decide where we might want to eat.

What are the hours of breakfast in Luminae and the hours of lunch?

On Equinox, 7:30-9 on port days, 8-9:30 on sea, lunch 12-1 daily. You just had to arrive prior to the end time. We arrived at 12:55 and were served a multi-course meal with nary a comment.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

During our August sailing on the Summit, we attended the Kitchen tour presentation. One of the guests noted that their prime rib from the night before was tough, and asked if it was a prime cut of meat. The chef responded that it was actually a choice cut. The guest then asked about the speciality restaurants, and the chef again said they use choice cuts of meat. There was a noticeable gasp from the audience and the chef seemed a bit embarrassed.

During our August sailing on the Summit, we attended the Kitchen tour presentation. One of the guests noted that their prime rib from the night before was tough, and asked if it was a prime cut of meat. The chef responded that it was actually a choice cut. The guest then asked about the speciality restaurants, and the chef again said they use choice cuts of meat. There was a noticeable gasp from the audience and the chef seemed a bit embarrassed.

They me have been surprised, but I'm not one bit surprised based on personal experience and the often reported cost per day cruise ships use to feed passengers.

Luminae is using many higher price ingredients than most of the specialty restaurants, but they're often used sparingly and I don't believe the cuts of mean were prime their either.

This being said, I think that the quality of products is only part of the equation. On a 15 day cruise, or a 7 day crossing, it's hard to expect fresh fish and meats let alone fruits and berries to keep very well. It's possible for some, but not easy, and I certainly don't want week old non-frozen fish.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sorry, my question got too complicated and I have had to give up!!!

Edited by Project_gal

Sorry if I took it to far off track! We had a wonderful time in Luminae - the food was fabulous, and the highlight of the trip. We would travel suite class again just to have access to the restaurant. The cut of meat did not affect my experience at all! More particular diners may feel differently, but the flavors, presentation, service, etc. made for a most memorable experience!

Prime Rib (Usually a Standing Rib Roast) isn't necessarily Prime Beef. Prime Rib is a Preparation Method for a beef roast. Prime Rib can be made from several different cuts of rib roasts.

See the first Q&A here:

http://iabeef.org/beefbasics-primerib.aspx

If you have been under the impression that you have eating USDA Prime Beef every time you have Prime Rib, you've most likely been wrong. :eek:

Prime Rib (Usually a Standing Rib Roast) isn't necessarily Prime Beef. Prime Rib is a Preparation Method for a beef roast. Prime Rib can be made from several different cuts of rib roasts.

See the first Q&A here:

http://iabeef.org/beefbasics-primerib.aspx

If you have been under the impression that you have eating USDA Prime Beef every time you have Prime Rib, you've most likely been wrong. :eek:

I read your link from the Iowa Beef Industry Council but take exception. Beef is graded by standards established by the USDA, not by this industry council.

From the USDA

Prime is is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. It has abundant marbling and is generally sold in restaurants and hotels. Prime roasts and steaks are excellent for dry-heat cooking (broiling, roasting, or grilling).

Choice is high quality, but has less marbling than Prime. Choice roasts and steaks from the loin and rib will be very tender, juicy, and flavorful and are, like Prime, suited to dry-heat cooking.

I'm suspecting the the council is trying to convince people that they can get a prime rib for choice prices to encourage sales. But, how a rib roast is cooked has nothing to do with whether it is a prime roast. FWIW, there are better ways to prepare a rib roast than they recommend.

BTW, we can buy prime or choice meat and generally prefer choice. There is a small difference, certainly too small to offset the huge price difference.

I read your link from the Iowa Beef Industry Council but take exception. Beef is graded by standards established by the USDA, not by this industry council.

From the USDA

Prime is is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. It has abundant marbling and is generally sold in restaurants and hotels. Prime roasts and steaks are excellent for dry-heat cooking (broiling, roasting, or grilling).

Choice is high quality, but has less marbling than Prime. Choice roasts and steaks from the loin and rib will be very tender, juicy, and flavorful and are, like Prime, suited to dry-heat cooking.

I'm suspecting the the council is trying to convince people that they can get a prime rib for choice prices to encourage sales. But, how a rib roast is cooked has nothing to do with whether it is a prime roast. FWIW, there are better ways to prepare a rib roast than they recommend.

BTW, we can buy prime or choice meat and generally prefer choice. There is a small difference, certainly too small to offset the huge price difference.

No where on that Beef Council page does it say that the Iowa Beef Council grades the beef. I'm not sure what you're taking exception to. It was just a nice quick link to explain that Prime Rib is a roast, not a Grade.

The fact that I am pointing out is that Prime Rib is not necessarily Prime Beef.

Here's a much longer version:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html#prime

It's taken from this page, which also discusses grading.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html

Edited by POA1

No where on that Beef Council page does it say that the Iowa Beef Council grades the beef. I'm not sure what you're taking exception to. It was just a nice quick link to explain that Prime Rib is a roast, not a Grade.

The fact that I am pointing out is that Prime Rib is not necessarily Prime Beef.

Here's a much longer version:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html#prime

It's taken from this page, which also discusses grading.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html

We're discussing two different issues, the grade of beef and the cut of beef.

We're both trying to make the same point that many folks do think that a 'prime rib' must be from a prime cut. That simply isn't the case. Call me a purist if you want, but I expect a 'prime rib roast' to be a prime cut of beef. Not choice, not select, but prime.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the Luminae impressions. We have our first Celebrity cruise booked and we are looking forward to dining in Luminae. Based on the menus we've seen, there's not a single night when there aren't multiple dishes that appeal to us.

Internet coverage very spotty. We have had no problems getting a table for when we have wanted. While they like to have an idea when you are coming to dinner, have never seen anyone turned away or much of a wait. Of course if your suite has access one can always go to Michaels club and wait and the concierge will call.

Phil

Master bathroom toilet backed up, trap under one of the sinks leaked badly, faucets leaked from the base, lighting system had to be reprogrammed, one TV picture not working, etc. I tend to be very laid back, but last night I had a 30 minute meeting with the hotel director and CR manager. Much activity in the suite today and most things have been fixed. Btw I am in a PH on Infinity. Please don't get me wrong here, we are having a great cruise and expect to have even more fun in the days ahead. Celebrity is a great line[emoji41]Stuff happens, just was not expecting it all to happen the first two days. [emoji1]

Master bathroom toilet backed up, trap under one of the sinks leaked badly, faucets leaked from the base, lighting system had to be reprogrammed, one TV picture not working, etc. I tend to be very laid back, but last night I had a 30 minute meeting with the hotel director and CR manager. Much activity in the suite today and most things have been fixed. Btw I am in a PH on Infinity. Please don't get me wrong here, we are having a great cruise and expect to have even more fun in the days ahead. Celebrity is a great line[emoji41]Stuff happens, just was not expecting it all to happen the first two days. [emoji1]

And what does this have to do with Luminae? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Port (6147) or Starboard (6148). I'm curious.

We've had less than satisfactorily maintained suites and had similar meetings the the GRM/HD and things improved greatly. We seem often to leave cabins in better shape than we receive them.

Regards,

Jenna