Your favorite river cruise?

ripaula

Our first river cruise was on board the Viking Emerald down the Yangze River in China for 2 weeks.

Not only was it an adventure but magical! I am not one to become emotional, bit of a sceptic,

but the first sight of the terricotta soldiers in that huge arena brought me to tears because it was so overwhelming. My husband had the same feeling as he was jogging up the great wall. I cannot even mention the shanghai museum.....it's beauty is unmatched by any other!

Viking took such good care of us and the tours were top notch and the guides were excellent!

We cruised with Viking rivers twice thru Europe and China and have nothing to complain about. Used a very big travel company to book the arrangements and very happy with them too! The travel company took care of any questions we had and they were our link with Viking.

...One consideration as you are researching cruise companies is to look at total capacity of the ship (in terms of crowding) and also their payment structures. Some users on CC have noted that Viking requires payment far in advance of most other companies. Others have mentioned their customer service was sub par to most other companies in crises such as high or low water levels. I'm not trying to Viking-bash, just pointing out that there can be non-cruise-specific factors which may affect your choice of cruise line...
I've been very lucky that out of all my river trips I've only missed one port due to water issues. Viking SHOULD be one of the best with water issues since their large number of boats would give them the best ability to flip passengers between two boats (having to switch to another boat is not optimal, but it sure beats becoming a bus tour), so I'm not sure why they seem poor at handling water issues. In April I was on the Vantage River Discovery II and we just made it under the bridge in Lyon (less than one inch clearance, even with the captain moving the water ballast to get first then bow and then the stern under) and if we had been a day later we would have been stuck for days - Vantage only has one boat on the Soane-Rhoane, so no option of flipping to another boat.

There are reports that Viking tells you that you have to pay in full at time of booking since it is a special deal (their infamous continuous 2 for 1 sale), but if you say "then forget about selling it to me" they will relent and allow full payment at a normal time.

Thom

I agree with Andromeda93! The Rhine and Moselle are great rivers. A Trier/Basel itinerary gets you the beautiful Moselle valley, the Rhine gorge with all the castles and the French towns like Strassbourg, Colmar, etc. Most of these start or end with a couple of days in Paris and a transfer to Luxembourg/Trier via bus or high speed train.

There are also Trier/Nuremberg routes, but I prefer the lower Rhine to the Main.

FuelScience

I agree with Andromeda93! The Rhine and Moselle are great rivers. A Trier/Basel itinerary gets you the beautiful Moselle valley, the Rhine gorge with all the castles and the French towns like Strassbourg, Colmar, etc. Most of these start or end with a couple of days in Paris and a transfer to Luxembourg/Trier via bus or high speed train.

There are also Trier/Nuremberg routes, but I prefer the lower Rhine to the Main.

FuelScience

Having just returned from Rhine & Moselle, I have to agree. We went from Amsterdam to Basel and the Moselle is absolutely stunning! Our trip included Luxembourg and we had a marvelous guide at the National Cemetery. Loved Trier, but Strasbourg, IMHO was a bit disappointing. Our trip had Lucerne as the post trip, but it was quite pricey so we didn't go. Amsterdam to Budapest is still my vote for #1, but Rhine/Moselle is a veryclosesecond.

Gahh!!! We did it! Just booked Emerald Waterway's Rhine Discovery for May sailing! AND we got free air! There's not too much info here on Emerald, since it's relatively new, but like all the others, for every four awesome reviews there's one stinko one. Got the cancel for any reason insurance, and most bad reviews for any river cruise seem to be water level related. So, hopefully we'll be able to find out about floods or droughts affecting water levels before we leave. :eek:

Thanks to all who offered advice!:rolleyes:

Strasbourg disappointing? We overnighted there, skipped a tour to Baden-Baden to have more time in town and absolutely loved it. Perhaps it was because we had easy access to the city center from the boat?

Just a counter point . . . Some like vanilla and others like chocolate. ;)

We loved Strasbourg as well. OP, which itinerary is this? I looked on Emerald and I saw the Rhine and Main discovery, but not a Rhine discovery itinerary, unless I missed it. Where do you start/end, and what are the stops?

Our favorite cruise has always been the one we're on. Nile, Rhine, Rhone... Next April, it will be the Danube, I am certain. Even the Hudson is pretty, but people at work can still get in contact with me while I'm there...

It is no secret to cc members I find CroisiEurope to my taste. More Best Western than Hyatt or Savoy. For me one of the reasons I like is the truly cosmopolitan nature of the passengers. Chatting away in very bad French one minute then being chatted to in excellent English the next by the same person. Also excursions are extra so if you wish to miss this Abbey or that Castle your not wasting money which helps keep my costs down.

Of course each of us have different requirements and expectations and one of the great things about cc is getting information from different posters.

Of the 6 rivers/sections of rivers I have so far cruised my favourite and the one I would go back to is The Douro in Portugal once I have tried as many more as possible.

I loved my Rhine and Moselle cruise. I am leaving for the two France cruises in mid-October. I've taken them before and tried to see 'everything'. This year I plan to just enjoy the scenery and see places I missed the first time.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe for scenic value that Moselle and Rhine tour along with the Douro River tours are the best. We did the first on Viking back years ago and the Douro with Uniworld this year.

One of the nice things on the then Viking ships and the Queen Isabel is that they were/are smaller ships. The Queen Isabel has a capacity 120 and we had 104 guests on the boat. Our Viking boat back then had perhaps 135 guests. I am not a fan of the new Viking Longships, with its 180-190+ passengers, after having sailed them last Fall on the Rhone, for a long host of reasons.

We will be doing China next May with Uniworld. One must remember that, for us, only 4 days of a 18 day tour is actually on the boat, so the river cruise portion is only a small part of the trip. I have heard many report that, in fact, the river portion, of that vacation, is the poorest portion of the trip. I'm looking forward to finding out!:p

Strasbourg disappointing? We overnighted there, skipped a tour to Baden-Baden to have more time in town and absolutely loved it. Perhaps it was because we had easy access to the city center from the boat?

Just a counter point . . . Some like vanilla and others like chocolate. ;)

That could be it, it was a pain getting there and involved a long walk from where the buses dropped off and picked up..... but then we LOVED Baden-Baden....I'm a vanilla person!! :D

We were docked in Strasbourg a few "blocks" from a tram terminus and then a quick easy ride into the cathedral square so we were able to come and go as we pleased. I just wasn't up to the couple of hours on the bus for a few hours in Baden-Baden . . . butter almond these days. :p

FWIW those that went to Baden-Baden enjoyed it. And it was a "been there, done that" for us while Strasbourg was a first time visit. How could one who was new to each go wrong?

We were docked in Strasbourg a few "blocks" from a tram terminus and then a quick easy ride into the cathedral square so we were able to come and go as we pleased. I just wasn't up to the couple of hours on the bus for a few hours in Baden-Baden . . . butter almond these days. :p

FWIW those that went to Baden-Baden enjoyed it. And it was a "been there, done that" for us while Strasbourg was a first time visit. How could one who was new to each go wrong?

Both were first time visits for us...and the ride through the Black Forest was spectacular. It wasn't that I didn't like Strasbourg, I just found it disappointing compared to what I was expecting....and I'm sure if we had been able to spend more time in the Square.....I did really like the canal boat ride though, that was lovely.....butter almond is nice too. :)

We have done 8/9 cruises with Royal & Princess and my husband has expressed an Interest in a River Cruise based upon Commercials we have seen. I too would love to see more of Europe and only wish we had started much sooner. My dream trip has always been the Scandinavian countries. I stopped by hear to read over others opinions on the line and itinerary that you enjoyed.

We have done 8/9 cruises with Royal & Princess and my husband has expressed an Interest in a River Cruise based upon Commercials we have seen. I too would love to see more of Europe and only wish we had started much sooner. My dream trip has always been the Scandinavian countries. I stopped by hear to read over others opinions on the line and itinerary that you enjoyed.

Not a river cruise, but we are doing a small ship cruise to the Baltics with Grand Circle in Aug of 2016. The ship holds 98 passengers and can get into town, unlike the larger cruise ships, just like river boats do.

We will be on the Serenade out of Quebec on the 19th, so the earliest we will plan for is 2017. After our 54 day Australia trip last year ( 3 cruises + 9 days land) and this one, we need a break or DH does.:) I was surprised when he spoke up saying he would like to do one as normally he doesn't get involved with the planning or suggestions and leaves that up to me. My one concern is for him at 81. Physically he is doing fine. It would have been better had we started earlier. I do feel we would enjoy the more intimate setting and having everything arranged. There are several on our cruise who do River Cruising so will talk it over with them for added tips and recommendations.

Gay

We will be on the Serenade out of Quebec on the 19th, so the earliest we will plan for is 2017. After our 54 day Australia trip last year ( 3 cruises + 9 days land) and this one, we need a break or DH does.:) I was surprised when he spoke up saying he would like to do one as normally he doesn't get involved with the planning or suggestions and leaves that up to me. My one concern is for him at 81. Physically he is doing fine. It would have been better had we started earlier. I do feel we would enjoy the more intimate setting and having everything arranged. There are several on our cruise who do River Cruising so will talk it over with them for added tips and recommendations.

Gay

Welcome to the River Cruising forum!

I suggest you start by reading the sticky New to RIVER CRUISING??? at the top of this forum, especially the downloadable pdf:

http://pdf.cruisecritic.com/travel-guide/UltimateGuidetoRiverCruising.pdf?et_cid=1262487&et_rid=99616845

which discusses each cruise line and compares them to ocean cruise lines and hotels [this will give you a frame of reference]. The range among river cruise lines that market in the US is fairly small -- but there are differences from the bottom to the top, and the prices don't vary as much as it first appears because the more expensive lines include more things that cost extra on the "cheaper" lines. For information on choosing a river, read the sticky River Cruise Basics articles on Cruise Critic at the top of this forum. I also recommend the book Berlitz guide to River Cruising in Europe by Douglas Ward, which may be found at your public library.

Bookings for 2017 should start opening up around Thanksgiving, and the more popular sailings will sell out quickly (or at least the most desirable cabins will go). Many lines also offer early-booking discounts, so it is worthwhile making your decision as soon as possible. [but don't be fooled by certain lines' continuous "2 for 1" sales that aren't sales at all -- compare prices across several lines to find real bargains.]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

We've done two cruises in France (Seine and Rhone) and one on the Danube (Belgrade to Vienna), all of which were on Uniworld. Loved all three, but our favorite was the Danube, largely because it introduced us to central Europe, which we now want to return to. Very surprised that we fell in love with the Balkan area; it's so very different from the US.