E cigs question?

True Brit

Kinda like if you shop lift and never caught it's alright. why would anyone encourage this kind of bad behavior. Follow the rules. If I saw someone vape on their balcony I would report it immediately. It's now been stated that second vapors are harmful to non smokers.

It's not like shoplifting at all. It's more like jaywalking on an empty street.

no-smoke.org/learnmore.php?id=645

Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights

Jul 17, 2015 - Health concerns exist about the safety of the e-cigarette to nonsmokers. A study published in February 2010 found that nicotine causes the formation of carcinogens when it reacts with nitrous acid - a common component of indoor air. Most e-cigarettes contain nicotine, which is exhaled by the user in a vapor cloud.

Shockingly, the article quoted on that (biased) anti-smoking site doesn't even bother linking to the original research. The 2012 article they quoted later, when you dig into the data, basically says "this needs further study". What else ya got, besides pointless fear of 'chemicals'?

Kinda like if you shop lift and never caught it's alright. why would anyone encourage this kind of bad behavior. Follow the rules. If I saw someone vape on their balcony I would report it immediately. It's now been stated that second vapors are harmful to non smokers.

If you called me and some one was enjoying there E-cig I would not do a thing about it. People think oh that looks like smoke I will get them in trouble. Its not smoke and will not bother you get over it. So I call BS on your comment

I vape and there's no nicotine in my liquid. It is the equivalent of amusement park rides, ya know when they blow the "smoke" in your face. So no I'm not a dirty smoker, or am I affecting others..the people that care are uneducated on vaping. I'd be more worried about the drunk dude ruining your time over the vape dude who's probably hiding in a corner somewhere because he's the one being judged not the idiot at the bar getting loud and belligerent.

To make this brief:

Vaping is still in it's infancy. Research is still being done. Many studies showing that it's worse than smoking cigarettes are usually funded by "big tobacco". Until FDA gets more involved in regulation, your best sources are independent studies. The last big study that gained popularity was this one: http://time.com/money/4005030/vaping-healthier-cigarettes-expensive/

That article states that e-cigs are 95% less harmful than cigarettes.

Of course, some studies are like trying to go to an Apple convention and saying Android is better. You'll be in the minority. And may lose some teeth in the process.

And a more recent article about secondhand vapor: http://www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php/whats-new/whatsnew-2015/226-sp

Have I vaped in places I'm not "supposed" to? Absolutely. When in the cabin, I'll tend to just blow the vapor in the shower area. I'd rather be out and about on the ship anyway and just use the cabin for sleeping.

I'm happy vaping in designated smoking areas though to try to limit any trouble.

It's not like shoplifting at all. It's more like jaywalking on an empty street.

jaywalking only effects the person engaged in the activity. vaping is like second hand smoke which effects those around them.

People who pick and choose which rules to follow create problems. I'll bet people who vape in non smoking areas would scream the loudest about chair hogs at the pool who aren't following the pool chair rules. After all the rules don't apply to them, they already posted that.

Edited by cruzsnooze

jaywalking only effects the person engaged in the activity. vaping is like second hand smoke which effects those around them.

People who pick and choose which rules to follow create problems. I'll bet people who vape in non smoking areas would scream the loudest about chair hogs at the pool who aren't following the pool chair rules. After all the rules don't apply to them, they already posted that.

They were talking about vaping in a smoking area or in their cabin so no there would not be any alleged second hand "smoke" affecting people around them unless those people chose to be in a smoking area. And I say alleged second hand "smoke" because it is not smoke nor has their been any credible studies to say that it is harmful. And what does this have to do with screaming about chair hogs? You lost me there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My DH is a smoker and also vapes with an e-cig. We are sailing on the Epic on 25 October and reading the terms and conditions in the 'Welcome Aboard' booklet, regarding no smoking in rooms, balconies, public spaces etc, there is no mention of e cigs only cigarettes, cigars and pipes. Have NCL relaxed their policy with regard to e cigs?

He is a considerate smoker and does not wish to offend other passengers but wonders what the current policy is towards vaping.

Bottom line,,,, e-cigs are the same as regular cigarettes and can only been used in designated smoking areas of the ship. Don't violate the ship's rules.

http://www.medicaldiscoverynews.com/shows/264-ecigs.html

Yet the administration issued a health warning about e-cigarettes after its tests show they contain harmful chemicals such as diethylene glycol, a component of antifreeze that’s toxic to humans and is banned in food and drugs. There were also detectable levels of a known carcinogen called nitrosamine and other toxic chemicals that users could potentially inhale

Bottom line,,,, e-cigs are the same as regular cigarettes and can only been used in designated smoking areas of the ship. Don't violate the ship's rules.

They are not the same. They are just treated the same way because as NCL says "simply because these cigarettes look so realistic and therefore other guests' perception is that we are not enforcing the No Smoking rule."

As an aside, pay attention to the pre-flight announcements next time you fly. You may notice that the usual script has been adjusted to include the distinction that e-cigs are not allowed in the lavatories (or anywhere).

Hooray... another smoking thread?!?!

Edited by triptolemus

My DH is a smoker and also vapes with an e-cig. We are sailing on the Epic on 25 October and reading the terms and conditions in the 'Welcome Aboard' booklet, regarding no smoking in rooms, balconies, public spaces etc, there is no mention of e cigs only cigarettes, cigars and pipes. Have NCL relaxed their policy with regard to e cigs?

He is a considerate smoker and does not wish to offend other passengers but wonders what the current policy is towards vaping.

we are on this sailing as well and in the same situation.

I hope perhaps they have a lounge where the hubby's can go and vape, because i for sure would rather my husband vape than smoke.

As for the poster who remarked that "they have found that 2nd hand vaping is bad", second hand vapor contains no harmful chemicals and no nicotine, so unless someone has a reaction to a flavor or a scent, it is more harmful to walk down a busy street (with auto emissions from idling cars) than it is to be exposed to vaping

Edited by Trynity

As for the poster who remarked that "they have found that 2nd hand vaping is bad", second hand vapor contains no harmful chemicals and no nicotine, so unless someone has a reaction to a flavor or a scent, it is more harmful to walk down a busy street (with auto emissions from idling cars) than it is to be exposed to vaping

Is that the new Jersey Shore Science?

As an ex smoker and current vapor....I would be curious to know where it has been stated that "second hand vapors are harmful to non smokers".....as I have not read this info....

As an aside, pay attention to the pre-flight announcements next time you fly. You may notice that the usual script has been adjusted to include the distinction that e-cigs are not allowed in the lavatories (or anywhere).

Hooray... another smoking thread?!?!

I think that at this point this is to make things easier for the flight attendants as it would surely be a major task to differentiate AND to enlighten the other passengers on board? Not so sure that this is due to scientific proof that second hand vapor is harmful....

I vape and there's no nicotine in my liquid.

So what's the point? Serious question. I get the idea of vaping as an alternative nicotine delivery system from tobacco, and I get the idea of reducing the nicotine levels to ween off the addiction, but once you're off the stuff why continue?

So what's the point? Serious question. I get the idea of vaping as an alternative nicotine delivery system from tobacco, and I get the idea of reducing the nicotine levels to ween off the addiction, but once you're off the stuff why continue?

Because they like it.

Some people like the flavors, and the physical habit is a thing. At that point it's just vegetable glycerine (which you can buy with baking goods) and food grade flavorings.

(I know some people will still pretend it's toxic because judging other people is fun.)

I don't smoke or vape, I've just seen a lot of people get off real cigarettes with e-cigs, and so far all the actual science points to real cigarettes being a far greater health risk.

While I applaud and congratulate any smoker who makes the conversion to vaping it is still an intrusion to others.

I go to a lot of baseball games. Twice I recall folks directly in front of me were vaping. The cloud they exhaled limited my view of the field. It was certainly like cig smoking in appearance. Both times the offender was told no vaping allowed.

Another time a guy was getting take out and I was eating in a booth. He blew a huge cloud right into my space. I had no idea what that vapor contains as it wafted over my meal.

I have a friend who sells vaping equipment. Some of the flavors sound awfully sweet. I have heard they can be offensive but I wouldn't know.

On a cruise ship? Vaping isn't really smoking and it really isn't non-smoking. It seems to be somewhere in limbo.

Case in point, vaping is in infancy as far as in the masses. Time will tell.

I think that at this point this is to make things easier for the flight attendants as it would surely be a major task to differentiate AND to enlighten the other passengers on board? Not so sure that this is due to scientific proof that second hand vapor is harmful....

Note that I didn't claim it was scientific proof!

I referred to the statement as "an aside" -- in that e-cigs are being recognized as belonging to the same function as traditional cigarettes...for whatever reason.