Dave’s Live from Veendam 14-day Canada-New England, October 3-17, 2015

RetiredMustang

Wednesday, October 7, Charlottetown (Cont.)

We approached Prince Edward Island in the early morning sunlight. DW and I went to the Crow’s Nest to watch the entry to the Charlottetown harbor and the tying up of the ship. We had planned to go outside as we got close, to watch the crew toss over the monkey’s fists (the large knots at the end of the thin lines that the crew tosses ashore so that the line handlers could haul over the larger ropes to moor). Since one of the attempts the previous day had ended short of the pier and fell into the water, we intended to shout encouraging slogans (Air ball! Aaiiirrrr baaalllll!).

But, suddenly, we were enveloped by fog on the way closer to port. The captain later in the day said that we had had to come as close as 60 meters from the pier even to see it. Here is a shot I took at about that time:

Charlottetown%20port%20in%20fog_zpsjnsrbs54.jpg

But, the bridge team and rest of the crew maneuvered us deftly and we tied up in time. We were impressed at the seamanship. We got in line and when the CD Jeremy announced we were cleared to go ashore, we quickly were processed out by security and found ourselves in the cruise terminal. PEI has organized their operation very well, and we were quickly directed to our correct bus for our tour.

We were on the PEI Top 10 excursion, and had a bus full when we left not very long after boarding. I noticed Veendam and the sun above the bus next to us, and was able to capture a shot of both:

Veendam%20in%20fog_zpsu049tu0y.jpg

We then headed through Charlottetown and out into the countryside. About 20 minutes or so after departing the port, we entered clear air with bright blue skies and sun shining down. The temperature quickly climbed above 60 degrees F, about 15 C. It never got much warmer than that, but it was just right – warm and pleasant in the sun, especially when it shown on your back, but making you reach for your jacket in the shade. A perfect, crystal day. This is the fourth unexpectedly fine day in a row, and I am sure to pay for some day, but whatever I bartered was worth it.

We drove down country roads and lanes, and even at one point went down a dirt road. Our first stop was at the old ferry terminal area, at the base of the relatively new (1997 if I remember right) Confederation Bridge which links PEI with the mainland -- New Brunswick, I think, but possibly Nova Scotia; I wear hearing aids, although DW says I am not so much hard of hearing as I am hard of listening.

The displays of how they used to get across were sobering – the relatively modern ferries of the 1950s would be familiar to those who have traveled on Washington State Ferries across Puget Sound, but the earlier Ice Boats were pretty scary. Here is a photo of the new bridge, which costs $45.50 CAD for a car to cross – enough to cause pause for casual day-trippers, but probably cheap for those, like the trucks in the photo, who can now pass with ease to New Brunswick (or possibly, Nova Scotia).

Confederation%20Bridge_zpsodhvoxvl.jpg

We then went to a nearby commercial area with a shop that had bus parking. It had restrooms, coffee and soft drinks for sale, and a gift shop (!). Outside was a statue of Anne of Green Gables, although I learned quickly that the Green Gables House was on the other (north) side of the island. But, since this was the entry point to PEI from the mainland, it made a touristy kind of sense to trade on the Anne story. I have to admit, possibly horrifying some of you, that neither DW nor I have ever read the books (she was a Laura Ingels Wilder fan as a girl while I went for Heinlein and Asimov). But, the statue was pretty, so I took a photo:

Anne%20of%20Green%20Gables%20statue_zpssjq3xedu.jpg

We then went on an extended trip down back roads toward the north part of the island. PEI is to me an incredibly pretty place. The two-lane blacktops we traveled were almost devoid of traffic; I saw maybe one house that perhaps could have used a fresh coat of paint; all the yards and houses and farms (mostly potato or corn) were tidy. It reminded me of the Virginia Piedmont on roads with three digits, although it is a Piedmont without any Mont; or perhaps southern Germany farm lands before you enter the mountains, … or perhaps Oz, who knows?

Our guide once said that PEI has been described as a million-acre farm; that was a particularly apt description. I felt the urge to come back sometime for a week or so, and rent a car, and drive at 35 miles an hour through Lancaster County without the buggies. I tried often to capture this through the window, but the roads were windy and bouncy, and curved away from the killer view just before I got the camera to focus. But, here is a shot that scavenged from among the blurry shots of reflections of the windows on the other side of the bus:

PEI%20countryside_zps0oatuln3.jpg

More later,

Dave

We left the Confederation Bridge and the town of Borden-Carleton, and drove on more back roads towards the north. We passed the Green Gables area in Cavendish and went to the town of North Rustico for lunch. Lunch was a lobster roll (excellent!) and potato salad with what were in essence petit fours for dessert. Those who did not want lobster roll could have vegetarian or chicken Caesar wraps. The guide had said that the restaurant was licensed (for Americans – they could sell alcohol), so we ordered what turned out to be a very good red amber ale each.

After lunch, we went along the coast road through the Cavendish National Park, where we parked for a photo op. I took some shots of the red sandstone cliffs and the beach up the coast a ways:

PEI%20red%20sandstone%20cliffs_zps6vn5orgg.jpg

PEI%20cliffs%20and%20beach_zpscpdcnzcm.jpg

Then we went to the Green Gables area. As I said, we did not know the stories, so I took some shots of the house, and then DW and I went for a walk on the nature trail. This was a welcome leg-stretcher after the time on the bus. Here are a couple of exterior shots of the Green Gables House:

Green%20Gables%20House%201_zps3lg87z8o.jpg

Green%20Gables%20House%202_zpsjhixtequ.jpg

More later,

Dave

Really enjoying your pictures and blog. I reread Anne of Green Gables on our last trip to Canada. My oldest daughter loves the stories and rereads them every so often. Pretty country up there. According to the stories rather brutal winters though!

While the weather has been spectacular on this cruise, the fall foliage colors have not been so much. Everyone says “we are delayed this year” and cites the weather over the past few months. I understand color happens when it does, and that weather, rain, etc. does affect the timing and intensity. And, if it came down to it, I would change the color for the last four days of unexpectedly glorious weather.

But, I did spot some color here and there on PEI. I failed to get shots out the bus windows of occasional displays, but I saw some at the Green Gables House area:

PEI%20colors%201_zpsbrdt96b8.jpg

PEI%20colors%202_zpshnkulhs2.jpg

I also saw some yellows near the bridge:

Dandelions_zpszcsv1hzz.jpg

And, I got a shot of some vivid reds at the National Park near Cavendish:

PEI%20colors%203_zps4cln39dp.jpg

Finally, we finished the tour with a stop at the colorful Cow’s Creamery ice cream factory for a sample of what they say is the best ice cream in Canada, if not in the whole world. It is very good ice cream, indeed.

Cows%20Creamery_zpsjgguwrdc.jpg

More later,

Dave

Our tour got back to the terminal about 4:20, and we were able to dash aboard, shower and change, and get to Happy Hour just before last call. They had saved us a plate of hor d’oeuvres, since they knew I was on the lookout for bitterballen. Cruz Chic – they not only saved me some, they saved some to share with you:

Bitterballen_zpsuzxib1jc.jpg

Instead of going into fixed dinner at 5:15, we decided to linger and enjoy our drinks and then go to the Lido Mussel Bake for dinner. We enjoyed the meal, but it was not an Alaskan Salmon Bake or a fresh fish fry on the Viking Passage -- they were large displays on the Lido around the pool. Tonight, they just had mussels meuniere on the Lido line. I got a great pile and enjoyed them very much. DW had the turkey. We both had chocolate delight for dessert.

Here are the MDR dinner and dessert menus:

7Oct15%20Dinner%20menu_zpsqqxscm4u.jpg

7Oct15%20Dessert%20menu_zpshf35qmht.jpg

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Thursday, October 8, at sea

Today is our first sea day, and we hope the weather holds because we hope to spend some time on our balcony or outside decks, watching the shoreline if we are close enough.

Here are today’s On Location pages:

8Oct15%20On%20Location%201_zps4nbzcil1.jpg

8Oct15%20On%20Location%202_zpszqnyrgza.jpg

8Oct15%20On%20Location%203_zpsh73gcvwn.jpg

8Oct15%20On%20Location%204_zpsmusrg6cq.jpg

More later,

Dave

Dave, when you return to Halifax try and make it to the farmers market on the pier, where you will find the best pasty in the world! Big call, but can still remember the delicious Cornish pasty we had there 3 years ago. The yummiest pasty ever.

Oh thank you Dave (and Mrs. Dave) for these pictures. You will never know how much I am enjoying your report. This voyage is high on my bucket list. I have always wanted to follow my grandparent's route up the St. Lawrence but I can not travel right now so you are providing the next best think! :)

Thx for the bitterballen. I'm enjoying them with my breakfast ;). I got to enjoy them on my Veendam trip. I went to the mix quite often and they were nice enough to save some for me the night they had them. Enjoy your sea day and the chance to catch your breath. I look for your thread to start my day everyday. I noticed that they have the Veendam confidential today at 3 pm. I'm not much for doing indoor things but I did enjoy that if you are motivated to do it.

Edited by cruz chic

Thursday, October 8, at sea (Cont.)

We have enjoyed a relaxing day at sea so far. The weather has been sunny, but we have not spent much time outside because there is a very heavy headwind, and the air temperature has not risen about the mid-40s F, about 6 or 7 C.

So, I thought I would see if I could capture the new bar menu. Here are photos of the new bar menu pages, in two posts:

Bar%20menu%201_zpscsgzqdow.jpg

Bar%20menu%202_zpsfuvjtgiz.jpg

Bar%20menu%203_zpsh2yieiur.jpg

Bar%20menu%204_zpsqaut6zn9.jpg

Bar%20menu%205_zpssdm75iev.jpg

Dave

Oh what fun to read all those drink descriptions! :p

Your post eliminated my need to ask if the beer by the bucket is available - DH is feeling comfortable on HAL already...

It's great to read the 'On Location' everyday, too. Thank you for a very informative thread and the beautiful photos.

:D

Thursday, October 8, at sea (Cont.)

We continued to do a lot of nothing the rest of the day, and then showered and changed to Gala clothing before Happy Hour in the Ocean Bar. This is pretty much a post about menus. We had been invited to the Mariners’ reception and Luncheon, but decided not to go, as the menu is so limited. The menu has changed, but is still limited:

Mariner%20Brunch%20menu_zpsvpbxnssq.jpg

Here is the menu for the MDR, which is the Gala Night menu. I don’t know why it, and the bar menus I posted earlier, are blue. Perhaps it is because I photographed them along the sill by the window in the Ocean Bar, and it may have been filtered to emphasize blue light. Or, I may have forgotten the first law of photography – first, you have to be smarter than the camera. I still have buttons and functions and settings I haven’t figured out how to use. In any case, here is the menu:

08Oct15%20Dinner%20menu_zpskzhxkqne.jpg

We did not do dinner in the MDR, as this is the night we chose for our Dine-Around free dinner at the Pinnacle. I am happy to report that the restaurant is less pretentious than last time we ate there a couple of years ago; no more amuse bouche, just a simple appetizer (small steak tartare with an excellent teriyaki sauce); no different colored salts; etc. Just excellent food and superb service.

But, the portion sizes are still huge. So, DW and I passed on starters and shared an 18-ounce rib-eye steak with mushrooms and brussels sprouts sides. That left us enough appetite for the Grand Marnier chocolate volcano cake dessert.

Here are the Pinnacle dinner menu as well as the dessert menu:

Pinnacle%20dinner%20menu_zpsqvjbdvt3.jpg

Pinnacle%20dessert%20menu_zpszc3rdtro.jpg

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang