Dave’s Live from Veendam 14-day Canada-New England, October 3-17, 2015

RetiredMustang

Tuesday, October 13, Charlottetown (Cont.)

We walked ashore about 9:30 or so, and gathered a tourist map from the information booth in the cruise terminal. The map showed us two walks – historic or shopping. We set off on the historic one first.

That led us from the front of the terminal:

Maple%20leaf%20sign_zpsiaos1es4.jpg

Then to Water Street and then up Great George Street. There, I saw a block of colored houses, and the cross street, Sydney Street, had others:

Great%20George%20Street_zpsq0d8naxe.jpg

Sydney%20Street_zpsfbf91bzq.jpg

On Great George Street, I took a photo of a statue, which framed the Catholic Basilica across the street. A plaque explained the statue:

Grays%20outside%20Catholic%20Basilica_zpspxjmgaqq.jpg

John%20Hamilton%20Grays_zpsxmhvjy33.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

We continued the historic walk to Richmond Street, which we followed to the water, where there we turned north on West Street. There were many fine old houses, including Number One Grafton St:

Number%20One%20Grafton%20Street_zpsehqpioch.jpg

And at the north end of West Street, the Beaconsfield Historic House:

Beaconsfield%20Historic%20House_zpskxjfzjqj.jpg

We then turned east down Kent Street, passed the Anglican Cathedral:

Anglican%20Cathederal_zpscads3ilr.jpg

And then joined the shopping trail/district at Queen Street. We browsed the shops in the Confederation Court Mall, and along Queen, Grafton and Richmond Streets. Here is a shot of Richmond Street:

Richmond%20Street_zpsuiosnt5a.jpg

We then decided to have lunch in the shopping district instead of returning to Water Street and the waterfront. We ended up at the Olde Dublin Pub, where I got a fine pot of PEI mussels, with a side of fries:

Lunch%20at%20The%20Olde%20Dublin%20Pub_zpsprjk5mcd.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

It was partly sunny when we set out, but it became more and more cloudy as the morning and early afternoon wore on. We decided to stroll back to the ship.

Along the various parts of our trip ashore, I noticed some trees in color:

Red%20tree_zpslr0hgtna.jpg

Yellow%20tree_zpsnojxtowf.jpg

Confederation%20Landing%20Park_zpscgw7ed0v.jpg

As well as some displays of pumpkins and other decorations for Halloween:

Pumpkins%201_zps7li9tqpj.jpg

Pumpkins%202_zpsw64onscl.jpg

More later,

Dave

We had a relaxing bit of time before going to happy hour and then dinner. I had the green salad and calf’s liver, while DW had the chicken and rice soup and the pasta. Here is the dinner menu; sorry, I didn’t get a shot of the dessert menu:

13Oct15%20dinner%20menu_zpsnwlmly3d.jpg

More later,

Dave

Wednesday, October 14, Sydney

We arrived in Sydney on time, and were cleared just after 8 a.m. The sun is shining on the land across the way:

Sun%20across%20from%20Sydney%20harbor_zpsclptybwl.jpg

There are some high clouds about, but it is already about 64F/17C, so we hope any rain holds off. We again do not have a booked excursion, and plan just to walk around the central city and perhaps stroll the boardwalk along the seafront.

Here are today’s On Location pages:

14Oct15%20On%20Location%201_zpsizoqrhki.jpg

14Oct15%20On%20Location%202_zpsp8ig09ao.jpg

14Oct15%20On%20Location%203_zpsv2ghwf5y.jpg

14Oct15%20On%20Location%204_zpse5sdetlz.jpg

More later,

Dave

Wednesday, October 14, Sydney (Cont.)

We went ashore and decided to walk along the seafront boardwalk first. It was a pleasant walk, and there was a nice breeze with mostly sunny conditions. I took a shot back toward the Veendam and the cruise terminal:

Veendam%20and%20cruise%20terminal%20from%20Sydney%20boardwalk_zpsczc4n5ny.jpg

We continued along the boardwalk to the end, and then crossed to a small park, called Wentworth Park, along a small lake:

Wentworth%20Park_zpsfk0gap5e.jpg

We then turned down George Street, and down Wentworth, and then came back along Charlotte Street, which was apparently the shopping district. This was not as large or, frankly, as nice as Charlottetown’s downtown district:

Many of the buildings looked like they could use some paint, and a few what looked to be established stores were permanently closed:

Charlotte%20Street_zps9j9wnnxt.jpg

We wondered if a new mall had recently opened away from downtown, and that some of the merchants had moved:

About then, the wind picked up to near gale level, and it looked like a squall line was headed toward us, so we went back to the cruise port. We looked around the crafts on display, and at the few shops, and decided just to come back to the ship. The weather has been windy, with periods of heavy clouds, so we have not ventured back ashore.

More later,

Dave

I have been taking some photos around the ship, and then forgot to post them. Here are a few posts with some of them.

First, our Vista cabin, on the port side of the Verandah deck (deck 9):

Vista%20class%20cabin_zpstec4f748.jpg

Vista%20class%20cabin%20bath%201_zpsnapowh74.jpg

Vista%20cabin%20balcony%201_zpsrjoznfa2.jpg

Vista%20cabin%20balcony%202_zps5kkc1rb2.jpg

Closet%20safe_zpsrkwyakaw.jpg

More later,

Dave

There isn't much to do in Sydney. If I don't go there again I'd be ok. I'm must have missed the mall in May. How did that happen :D;)?

There was a mall in downtown Charlottetown, but we only speculated that there may be a new one out in the suburbs of Sydney, because a few of the old downtown storefronts had closed -- moving to a mall is sadly the main reason old main street stores close.

We agree, there really isn't much to do in downtown Sydney. I think we made about the most of it with a stroll along the boardwalk and a trip through the pretty park. If you visit this port, we recommend you take a real good look at the excursion options available.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

There was a mall in downtown Charlottetown, but we only speculated that there may be a new one out in the suburbs of Sydney, because a few of the old downtown storefronts had closed -- moving to a mall is sadly the main reason old main street stores close.

We agree, there really isn't much to do in downtown Sydney. I think we made about the most of it with a stroll along the boardwalk and a trip through the pretty park. If you visit this port, we recommend you take a real good look at the excursion options available.

Dave

I agree, Dave. The first year we were there we went for a drive along part of the Cabot Cove with Don Blackwood Tours. The second time we were there Don Blackwood took us to see the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck, and a couple of months ago we drove out to the Fortress of Louisbourg, which we will repeat next August. There is a lot to do and see if you get yourselves out of town.

Dave, your photograph of the Veendam at dock in Sydney is fantastic!

We had a relaxing afternoon, and the weather turned more sunny than cloudy, although the wind was still strong. But, our balcony was sheltered, and warm, and it was pleasant to spend a few minutes outside soaking up the rays.

For dinner, we both had the chopped farmer’s salad, and the tagliatelle alla Conti. For dessert, we decided we were going to have a Ruth night – DW had the whoopie pie, and I had the chocolate delight, which was basically a ramekin-shaped chunk of dark chocolate fudge. But, there was no sugar added! By the time I thought to take a photo, it was gone (old joke - I try to watch what I eat, but my eyes aren't fast enough).

Here are the dinner and dessert menus:

14Oct15%20dinner%20menu_zpsmjnzxsjc.jpg

14Oct15%20dessert%20menu_zpsuwdb3wze.jpg

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Dave

Sorry about that. I misunderstood. I found the one in Charlottetown. It wasn't overly impressive compared to Calgary but the wifi worked well there.

I agree, Dave. The first year we were there we went for a drive along part of the Cabot Cove with Don Blackwood Tours. The second time we were there Don Blackwood took us to see the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck, and a couple of months ago we drove out to the Fortress of Louisbourg, which we will repeat next August. There is a lot to do and see if you get yourselves out of town.

Dave, your photograph of the Veendam at dock in Sydney is fantastic!

I went to Baddeck on my tour for my cruise in May. They'd had a bad winter and the sightseeing was terrible. I'm sure it's beautiful in the summer but it was a waste that day. The guide agreed that it was too early.

We rented a car the last time we were in Sydney. They pick you up at the port and take you to the rental facility. There is a great deal more to the area than what you see at the port. I did not see a mall but did see more shopping than what is available within walking distance of the port.

.................... We again do not have a booked excursion, and plan just to walk around the central city and perhaps stroll the boardwalk along the seafront.

..............................More later,

Dave

Sydney, NS has a great Wal-Mart if you need anything ;) If you like Beatles music, go see Jesse and Colleen tonite!

We then turned down George Street, and down Wentworth, and then came back along Charlotte Street, which was apparently the shopping district. This was not as large or, frankly, as nice as Charlottetown’s downtown district:

Many of the buildings looked like they could use some paint, and a few what looked to be established stores were permanently closed:

Charlotte%20Street_zps9j9wnnxt.jpg

What a difference a few weeks make. On our Veendam call on 9/30/15, the street was bustling with activity! We happened to have purchased three pairs of shoes at Smart Shops on the recommendation of the CD, Jeremy; and had a wonderful conversation with a postal worker. Every establishment was very welcoming and appreciated the cruise passengers. That day the Marco Polo was in port as well.