Dave’s Live from Veendam 14-day Canada-New England, October 3-17, 2015

RetiredMustang

Friday, October 9, Quebec (Cont.)

We pulled into Quebec port at about dawn under overcast skies. We could see a thin line of clear sky on the east as the sun was coming up and Seabourn yacht followed us into port.

The ship cleared at 8 a.m., and we went ashore about 8:30 for our walking tour of historic Quebec. We marshalled on the lower level of the terminal, and our tour guide (dmg1956 – he is a native of St. Paul) collected our tickets. When everyone had arrived, he led us outside to start the tour.

It had started raining lightly, so I opened an umbrella while DW put on a plastic poncho. It rained pretty much the entire time of the three-hour walk, and stopped about the time we and others and left the tour in upper town while the rest returned to the ship.

We started in lower town, visiting the site where Samuel de Champlain established his first site to monitor and tax the fur trade down the St. Lawrence. We visited a few sites in lower town, including a mural depicting many periods of Quebec history in one large painting and then walked to the funicular (cable-car) for the ride to the upper town, next to the Hotel Chateau Frontenac. We then walked about, visiting the Anglican Cathedral and the former jail that is now the only English-language library in Quebec. We finished at the Town Hall square, where some of us left to wander and make our own way back. We walked a bit and did some window shopping, and then returned to the funicular to go down to lower town, where we walked the very pretty (and famous) Rue du Petit Champlain before returning to the ship. It was a very good overview of the history and geography of the old city, and we hope the weather will be more amenable to wandering about tomorrow.

It was rainy and overcast, but I was able to get a few shots, including one of Veendam’s stack behind some trees that are turning color:

Rue%20Saint-Pierre_zpsndxoykrt.jpg

Mural%20of%20Quebec_zpsr4xtj2cq.jpg

Hotel%20Chateau%20Frontenac_zpsr9kajffv.jpg

Veendam%20behind%20colorful%20tree_zpsbdekjfkx.jpg

Rue%20du%20Petit%20Champlain_zpstfnbaecl.jpg

Tonight, we have reservations at the Café du Monde. We had wanted to get steak frites for DW and a pot of mussels for me, since we had enjoyed such meals in France, so I researched TripAdvisor and others and discovered that particular restaurant which had very good reviews. And, oh, look! It appears to be close to the pier.

We looked when we moored to see if we could spot it from the ship … uh, yeah – it’s part of the cruise terminal building! Well, one of the TripAdvisor ratings did say “don’t go there when the cruise ships are in or you won’t get a seat.” We made reservations on line weeks ago to be sure, but it did not look busy for lunch when we returned past it from our walking tour.

More later,

Dave

Friday, October 9, Quebec (Cont.)

Well, we enjoyed our meal at Café Du Monde very much. DW like her steak, and my pot of mussels was a bit more generous than the starter on board that I see now and then, and which has five or six mussels:

Mussels%20at%20Cafe%20du%20Monde_zpsw8snqbac.jpg

We probably did not need reservations for 5 p.m. like we booked, as the restaurant was not crowded. Our waitress said that it does get quite busy on Friday night around/after 7:00 p.m. We booked tonight of our two nights in Quebec, because the last night of a cruise has been the International Night in the MDR, and we are not fans. In contrast, the first night of a cruise usually features prime rib, and we are fans of that.

But, to keep the blog reports going, I took a photo of tonight’s MDR menu, and it appears that they have modified International Night to feature some signature dishes of the HAL Culinary Council chefs. I think it is interesting, and some of the dishes are appealing, but I find myself thinking,”well, I can find something on the menu to eat instead of having the steak again.” Even when there were seven entrée choices, I sometimes found myself ordering the steak, and I’ve noticed this cruise that there are usually even fewer choices.

In any case, here is tonight’s MDR menu:

9Oct15%20dinner%20menu_zps4yoh5qkc.jpg

BTW, I was not saying the poster (dmg1956) was a native of St. Paul, since he identified himself in his profile as being from there. What I meant was that Neil, our Quebec tour guide, is also a native of St. Paul.

And, thanks to you who have given suggestions of places for meals, coffee, etc. in Bar Harbor; we’ll probably look for one of those places next time. We are familiar with Halifax, but does anyone have a suggestion for a pot like the above photo in Charlottetown? (likely responses, I realize: “just go into any restaurant and ask for the mussels; this is PEI … moron” but I thought I would ask. Anything great in Sydney? We have free time in those two cities on the way back, and would appreciate any tips.

Thanks, and more later,

Dave

Dave, I think they killed off international night several months back. I remember commenting about it on one of my cruises this year.

Edited to say that I mentioned this on my Veendam cruise in May so it was gone then :).

Dave you probably know this but there is free internet in the terminal and it works really well.

Edited by cruz chic

Saturday, October 10, Quebec

Today has started in marked contrast to yesterday. The sun is up, and although it is cold outside, it is clear and sunny. Here is a photo taken a short while ago that will illustrate the different conditions from the photos I took yesterday:

Citadel%20and%20Frontenac_zpsr9vqxsmv.jpg

Debarkation has started, and most of the passengers are going shore to collect their bags and depart. We will wait a bit, and then go ashore to wander about the old city. Here are today’s On Location pages:

10Oct15%20On%20Location%201_zpsbft3x3fn.jpg

10Oct15%20On%20Location%202_zpsymav8ssq.jpg

10Oct15%20On%20Location%203_zps53ic0qpw.jpg

10Oct15%20On%20Location%204_zpsqryqnhfj.jpg

More later,

Dave

Dave another big thank you for sharing your Veendam cruise with us. It is really getting us pumped up and ready for when we board the Maasdam next Saturday.

Nice to see there may be some colorful foliage left.

In eight days we will be berthed in front of that beautiful view of the Chateau Frontenac.

Saturday, October 10, Quebec (Cont.)

We went ashore in mid-morning, after most of the non-returning passengers had left but before they started boarding new ones.

We walked the narrow streets of the lower town to the cable car, which we rode to upper town by the Hotel Chateau Frontenac. From the terrace, I took a shot of Veendam in the harbor:

Veendam%20in%20Quebec%20port_zpsrnozgmzt.jpg

And a shot of the hotel from the terrace, which was icy in spots where it had just recently been shaded:

Hotel%20Chateau%20Frontenac%20from%20Dufferin%20Terrace_zpskvkxee88.jpg

We then walked up more streets to the corner of the Citadel. The views from there were spectacular:

Quebec%20from%20the%20Citadel_zpszglhevh5.jpg

Hotel%20and%20Veendam%20from%20Citadel_zpsfhppccfj.jpg

We then walked the walking path around part of the fort, and saw a few trees starting to change:

trees%20starting%20to%20change_zps4jzecjuv.jpg

Aliaschief – I think your timing for color in Quebec will be pretty much at the height.

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

After leaving the fort area where the path met with the main road to the fort’s entrance, we strolled down Rue Saint-Louis back to the Place d’Armes, near the Frontenac, and then went up Rue Saint Anne to a nice coffee shop where we had a coffee and a decadent croissant each. We then walked down roads and stairs to the Petit Champlain area at the base of the cliff below the Frontenac. Part way down the stairs, I took a photo of the Rue du Petit Champlain, similar to one I took yesterday, but this one in the sun:

Rue%20du%20Petit%20Champlain%20in%20sun_zpsuqo24kll.jpg

I also took a shot of the front of the cable car building, and one of the actual railway bed:

Funiculaire%201_zpsvloqgr8s.jpg

Funiculaire%202_zpsjv5uigdh.jpg

Walking back to the port and Veendam, I did a double-take as we passed a parked car. Look, and then look again:

Look%20again_zpshsghqogc.jpg

Once back at the cruise terminal, we were able to get back aboard quickly by showing our staterrom cards and the “In Transit” cards we had been provided.

Yesterday evening, we found the Cruise Log in our mailbox, listing the facts and figures of our first seven days. In it, I also found a complete list of the ship’s officers. I had forgotten to get the list in response to a question, but I was able to capture it from the Cruise Log:

Ships%20officers_zpssnzvxpos.jpg

More later,

Dave

on the Veendam and your information was quite helpful. We plan to have lobster and Mussels for lunch most days in port although we might go to Durgin Park in Boston for roast beef. We like eating later and will generally go to the dining room or specialty restaurants at 7 pm. Just 1 day in Quebec. I think the menus have improved since our cruise earlier this year. With X4 I guess we will have drinks in one of the bars before dinner and try the hot hors d'oerves. Even the shows sound better as the last 2 cruises we didn't bother going.

In the afternoon, I took the netbook ashore to the terminal for some free wifi. Great idea in concept, but in execution, not so much – I found every seat taken by members of the crew or a few other passengers. I got a few things done online, but quickly gave it up and returned to the ship.

We enjoyed some wine at happy hour in the Ocean bar before dinner. The bar held happy hour on embarkation day because we were staying overnight, but will not have one tomorrow because of the boat/safety drill. Our letter for returning passengers said we are not required to attend the drill the second time.

For dinner, we both started with the twice-baked potato soup, with cheddar cheese, chives and bacon. It was delicious, but a bit different than I expected. I had thought we would get a soup with chunks of potato in it, like a chowder, and maybe with shreds of cheese added just before serving. Instead, it was pureed with just bits of bacon on top. Still, it was an excellent soup. DW has remarked that she has never had a bad soup on HAL. For entrees, we both had the prime rib again. For dessert, DW enjoyed the devil’s food cake a second time, and I had lemon sorbet.

Here are the dinner and dessert menus:

10Oct15%20dinner%20menu_zpst0pfjx5d.jpg

10Oct15%20dessert%20menu_zpsgftl6wsb.jpg

More later,

Dave

When you'd are faced with a crowded terminal for free wifi its worth a try to see if you can connect from the ship. In ports where the ship docks beside the terminal I have found about 50% of the time I can connect from the promenade deck

Yes, I tried that, but the signal from the Retreat (closest to terminal) was not strong enough.

Sorry about the crowed terminal for the wifi. I've never had a problem getting a seat so I guess I haven't been there in prime time.

Thx for the update.

No problems, and in fact, thanks for the tip, since I am now in the terminal sucking up the free bandwidth to bring the blog up to date. The issue yesterday was that almost all of the terminal was taken up with the embarkation of passengers, and the area left over for wifi freeloaders was pretty limited. But, there are lots of spaces free today, and I was even to get a seat at a table so I don't have to balance my netbook on my lap.

Dave

Sunday, October 11, Quebec (Cont.)

We went ashore early for our tour of Ste-Anne de Beaupre and Montmorency Falls. We used up all our luck yesterday with the weather, as the payback for the glorious sunshine then was the overcast and rain this morning.

But, it lightened a bit as we went, and we had only occasional showers by the time to tour was over. We drove up the north coast of the St. Lawrence River to the village of Ste-Anne Beaupre and toured the Basilica/Shrine. As it was Sunday, Mass was being celebrated when we arrived, so we went into the basement to see the replica of Michelangelo’s Pieta:

The%20Pieta_zpsc5yjua0a.jpg

Our guide said the original was transported from St. Peter’s in Rome in the 1960s for display in New York City. To protect the priceless art on the ship that was transporting it, it was carefully molded with protective material. Apparently, someone used that molding after the original was transported back to Rome to create the replica that is now in the Basilica. We have seen the original, and now the copy.

After Mass was over, we had a few minutes to enter the main church, and I was able to photograph the altar area:

The%20Altar_zpsvnudrqea.jpg

More later,

Dave