Dave’s Live from Veendam 14-day Canada-New England, October 3-17, 2015

RetiredMustang

Hi

Thank you for you posts and photo's. This cruise hasbeen on my bucket list for a long time. I am glad the weather did not mess up your cruise.

I do have a question on first night reading the dailt program It said there was a Bon Voyage party but it said it was $6.50.. Is this something new?

MARY

Hi

Thank you for you posts and photo's. This cruise hasbeen on my bucket list for a long time. I am glad the weather did not mess up your cruise.

I do have a question on first night reading the dailt program It said there was a Bon Voyage party but it said it was $6.50.. Is this something new?

MARY

The $6.50 was the drink price.

Hi Dave. I'm loving your "follow along with". Sounds like a great trip. My next time on the Boston to Montreal I'll probably do a b2b too.

Henry in the Ocean Bar was my favorite bartender in the VOV this year. I hope you have as much fun as I did on the Veendam. Sam, the cellar master, is the only staff member left from my cruise. Good news is that he really knows his stuff.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Tuesday, October 6, Sydney

Today, we are scheduled to arrive in Sydney, Nova Scotia at 11 a.m. We have never been there before, and we have booked a walk through Syndey to learn about the city and to get oriented for our return trip, when we have planned nothing in particular.

Here are today’s On Location pages:

06Oct15%20On%20Location%201_zpsnna5tft9.jpg

06Oct15%20On%20Location%202_zpsaxr6r8js.jpg

06Oct15%20On%20Location%203_zpsygyqptjl.jpg

06Oct15%20On%20Location%204_zpsuoxzke7h.jpg

Dave

Your new camera takes beautiful pictures.

Dave, most who share great pictures have high end cameras and multiple lenses and filters. Your great shots prove that it's the photographer and not the camera that determines the excellence of the pictures. You have a good eye.

Your pictures are bringing back great memories of our b2b on the Massdam last fall.

Ruth

Tuesday, October 6, Sydney (Cont.)

We're just back aboard from our shore excursion, and I will post about it later when I have had time to process photos and thoughts.

But, here are some shots of the ship I got earlier. I noticed that the elevator and daily rug have a blue color scheme instead of more coral/pink/orange of Maasdam. And, of course, one of the first public areas I got shots of was the Ocean Bar. I've been taking photos of lots of other public spaces, and will post them now and then as we go.

But, here are some for now:

Elevator%20with%20day%20rug_zpso1z6ebqm.jpg

Ocean%20Bar%202_zpsciqbgvvv.jpg

Ocean%20Bar%201_zpssvb6xmtn.jpg

Ocean%20Bar%203%201_zpsog81bxpa.jpg

Ocean%20Bar%204_zpsxvrktsjx.jpg

Well, here is a phrase I did not expect to use on an October Canada-New England cruise: we both got sunburns today! This was the third day in a row that we were out in the sun, and it has resulted in mild sunburns, which are not serious and we are treating with skin cream. But, we were surprised. It indicates that we certainly have been extremely fortunate with the weather so far.

The weather started mostly cloudy as we were pulling in to Sydney late this morning, but by the time our walking tour of historical Sydney started off at 11:45, it was pretty much full sunshine. We enjoyed the fine weather the entire time ashore.

I took a few photos of the harbor/cruise pier area before we set out, including one of Veendam moored with a Princess ship anchored in the background:

Veendam%20in%20Sydney%20with%20Princess%20ship_zps0igovso7.jpg

And, one of the giant fiddle in the cruise port:

Giant%20Fiddle%20Sydney%20cruise%20port_zpssrzz5tsv.jpg

Also, one of the welcome to Sydney vegetation welcome sign, which shows that the trees have hardly started changing colors; I will compare this when we come back in eight days.:

Sydney%20welcome%20foliage%20test_zpsoibuythj.jpg

And, as we came back from the tour, I took a shot of the aft end of Veendam, to show the modifications to the ship a few years ago:

Veendam%20Sydney%20harbor%20with%20Princess%20tenders_zpspkkxc9uf.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

The 40 of us on the tour left the cruise port by foot and went to the oldest Catholic church in Sydney, which is now a museum. After some history imparted by our guides, we broke into two groups of 20 for the rest of the tour, which included visits to historic houses and other churches. We learned a lot about the city, which was founded in 1785 by Tories fleeing the American Revolution and the new U.S.

There was a good deal more history, as discussed by our guide as we went about quite pleasant tree-lined streets only a couple of blocks from the cruise pier:

Charlotte%20Street%20Sydney_zpshzgq7j0l.jpg

The tour struck me as being a little like Colonial Williamsburg, in that there were historic houses with artifacts and old shops, but unlike Williamsburg, the houses were scattered among more modern buildings instead of in a distinct historical area. The tour was only a couple of hours, and we enjoyed the walks in the fine weather while learning a bit of history. Here are some more photos of our day:

Cossit%20House%20Sydney_zpsebm2dm2m.jpg

Guide%20explains%20Jost%20House%20kitchen_zpsnwfmogmo.jpg

Jost%20House%20apothecary_zpso9j0zny0.jpg

Historic%20house%20and%20church%20Sydney_zpscp0u4iea.jpg

More later,

Dave

Pre-cruise activity

I have set up the internet account.

More later,

Dave

Hi Dave,

We will be on the Veendam in November and I was hoping you could post the internet options and costs. I am enjoying the blog and pictures. Thank you for taking the time to do this. It is making me even more excited for my trip!

Hi Dave,

We will be on the Veendam in November and I was hoping you could post the internet options and costs. I am enjoying the blog and pictures. Thank you for taking the time to do this. It is making me even more excited for my trip!

Pricing Plans:

1 - 1,000 minutes $250

2 - 500 minutes $175

3 - 250 minutes $100

4 - 100 minutes $55

5 - 30 minutes $12

6 - 15 minutes $8.25

I also think I saw pay as you go for $0.75 per minute.

Dave

After our tour, we showered and changed clothes and then went to Happy Hour in the Ocean Bar. I stopped by the Lido on the way to take a couple of photos of the decorations for the Heritage Dinner of Indonesian and Filipino foods.

I found the aft stairway already decorated:

Lido%20decorations_zpsl6l6ozk9.jpg

At Happy Hour, we were served hot hors d’oeuvres again. Sorry, Cruz Chic, no bitterballen yet, but there are still several days to go. Today’s offering was fried pastry-covered pork and sausage quiches:

6%20Oct%20hors%20douvres_zpsbf8ibmen.jpg

More later,

Dave

We went then to early dinner. I had the tomato and mozzarella, and although it was not listed on the menu, it came with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Luckily, I was able to avoid most of it – I like balsamic vinegar, just not on mozzarella as it overpowers the flavor of the cheese.

DW had the cheddar and beer soup, which she enjoyed a lot. She said it was like a very good mac and cheese sauce without the mac. For entrée, she had the Yankee pot roast, while I had one of my favorites, calf’s liver with onions and bacon. Here is a photo of the dish:

Calfs%20liver_zps8dlbpxs8.jpg

Here are the dinner and dessert menus:

6Oct15%20Dinner%20menu_zpsp8ilwvxs.jpg

6Oct15%20dessert%20menu_zpszhlt2lgt.jpg

More later,

Dave

Wednesday, October 7, Charlottetown

Today, we have booked the PEI Top 10 shore excursion, which goes to some sights in Charlottetown, and then to the Confederation Bridge and Anne of Green Gables. It is a 7-hour tour, and we plan on arriving back at the ship fairly late. We have never been to PEI, and thought this would give us a very good overview. We don’t expect to make Happy Hour, or early fixed dining either. Luckily, they have scheduled a PEI Mussels and Fish Bake in the Lido this evening.

Here are today’s On Location pages:

7Oct15%20On%20Location%201_zpsxoilmtcs.jpg

07Oct15%20On%20Location%202_zpsgyzrwukp.jpg

07Oct15%20On%20Location%203_zpsh0yxjc5m.jpg

7Oct15%20On%20Location%204_zpsx2v4ibb2.jpg

Dave

Dave, most who share great pictures have high end cameras and multiple lenses and filters. Your great shots prove that it's the photographer and not the camera that determines the excellence of the pictures. You have a good eye.

Your pictures are bringing back great memories of our b2b on the Massdam last fall.

Ruth

Thank you for telling me I should go out and buy a new camera for 1 more cruise.

Not going to happen.