Dave’s Live from Veendam 14-day Canada-New England, October 3-17, 2015

RetiredMustang

Sunday, October 11, Quebec (Cont.)

After taking photos inside, I wandered the grounds a bit to get some outside shots. I noticed that the trees in this section of the province had turned more than in Quebec City:

Basilica%20of%20Ste-Anne%20Beauprea_zps1oguiikw.jpg

Foreground%20of%20Basilica_zpsw6sehuth.jpg

Ste-Anne%20Beaupre%20village_zpsuwfqpki9.jpg

On the way back to the ship, we stopped for about 20 minutes at the Montmorency Falls park, where I was able to get a photo of the falls:

Falls%20of%20Montmorency_zpsuorx19l5.jpg

Once back aboard, I took the opportunity before we wailed from Quebec to go to the Retreat area of the ship to get a photo of the Café Du Monde restaurant at the end of the cruise terminal:

Cafe%20du%20Monde_zpsrhrm2c7e.jpg

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Sunday, October 11, Quebec (Cont.)

We waited in our room while the boat safety drill was going, since we were not expected to attend. Then we went for drinks at the Ocean Bar prior to dinner. We were to have sailed at 4, but a container ship went ahead of us and we were delayed until about 4:45.

For dinner, we both had the turkey noddle soup. For entrée, DW had the chicken Marsala, while I had a nice dish of rockfish, which was flaky and tender. We both passed on dessert. Here are the dinner and dessert menus:

11Oct15%20dinner%20menu_zps9grz2ijq.jpg

11Oct15%20dessert%20menu_zps7ktmwlmg.jpg

More later,

Dave

Monday, October 12, at sea

Today is our second/last day at sea, as we sail back to Charlottetown. There are lots of activities scheduled today, including a CC meet and greet at 11.

Here are today’s On Location pages:

12Oct15%20On%20Location%201_zpsodxaojdo.jpg

12Oct15%20On%20Location%202_zpsw1w4vuoo.jpg

12Oct15%20On%20Location%203_zpsj767ii9d.jpg

12Oct15%20On%20Location%204_zpseynk1sgx.jpg

More later,

Dave

Dave, it's a real kick following along with you on your Veendam adventures. One thing I'm missing from your photos is pumpkins/jack-o'lanterns. Back in 2009 we left NYC on a 10-day round-trip, which would have put us in Quebec City on October 15 and in Charlottetown on October 17. There were pumpkins everywhere. We rented a car and drove to the North Shore on PEI, and most homes we passed had tons of pumpkins as yard decorations. In Quebec City, especially in Lower Town, all the stores had them on their steps or beside their doors. I wonder if your cruise was a bit early for them to be out.

q2271907910057127324QHhwya_fs-S.jpg

h-S.jpg

q2979710140057127324GQTIHp_fs-S.jpg

Have fun on the rest of your cruise!

Monday, October 12, at sea (Cont.)

We’ve been sailing the St. Lawrence all day. The weather started out overcast and gray, but it has cleared and the sun has come out. The water is very smooth. Earlier today, DW and I saw what we thought were seals, and the Captain and CD reported that we have been sailing past pilot whales and dolphins.

We had the CC meet at greet at 11, and we could see some of the marine mammals off the port side of the Crows Nest. Afterwards, DW and I saw several more whales and dolphins.

We have had a relaxing day, otherwise. I also took a set of shots of the new wine menu, which I will show in this and the next post. My camera may do OK on landscapes, but I’ve not mastered files of texts in the mostly artificial light on board. These are not great, but are passably readable. And, hey, at least they aren’t blue:

Wine%20list%201_zpstnllkzu7.jpg

Wine%20list%202_zpsqcjjb7wg.jpg

Wine%20list%203_zpskswdgynt.jpg

Wine%20list%204_zpsnwjxpfih.jpg

Dave

Dave, it's a real kick following along with you on your Veendam adventures. One thing I'm missing from your photos is pumpkins/jack-o'lanterns. Back in 2009 we left NYC on a 10-day round-trip, which would have put us in Quebec City on October 15 and in Charlottetown on October 17. There were pumpkins everywhere. We rented a car and drove to the North Shore on PEI, and most homes we passed had tons of pumpkins as yard decorations. In Quebec City, especially in Lower Town, all the stores had them on their steps or beside their doors. I wonder if your cruise was a bit early for them to be out.

q2271907910057127324QHhwya_fs-S.jpg

h-S.jpg

q2979710140057127324GQTIHp_fs-S.jpg

I was in PEI and Quebec City a few weeks ago and the pumpkins were out even then. I am sure they are everywhere now! Great pictures

We did not see many in Nova Scotia or PEI on the way up from Boston, but there were a fair number out in Quebec, including an exuberant display at City Hall. I just did not capture any photos of them. I will look more closely in the ports on the return trip.

Dave

We had a pretty quiet afternoon. At one point, we separated to do different things, as we sometimes do, but this time forgot to arrange a meeting place.

DW finished what she was doing and went looking for me. I was not in the stateroom, nor was I in our usual haunt, the Ocean Bar. So, she went to another bar and asked if the staff had seen her husband. As she related it later, the conversation went something like this:

DW: Have you seen my husband around here lately?

Staff Member: I don’t know - what does he look like?

DW: Kind of fat, old, bald white guy.

Staff: Uh, that’s about 90% of them. Anything else?

DW: What hair is left is gray, and he wears glasses and hearing aids.

Staff: OK, now we’re down to about 60%.

DW: Walks kind of funny, but no cane?

Staff: Ummm ….

DW: Takes lots of photos of weird stuff like bar menus.

Staff: Oh, that guy! He’s at a table around the corner having a beer.

We had a great afternoon, and then dressed for dinner for what CD Jeremy called the first of our two Goller Nights this cruise. Having lived for a few years in England, home of Aston Viller football club, we understood and put on Gala clothing. (OK, cheap rim shot). After Happy Hour at the Ocean Bar, we went into dinner.

Today is Canada’s Thanksgiving -- happy holiday, Canada! -- and the dining room had a cake at the entrance in celebration:

Cake%20at%20MDR%20entrance_zpstbgatsp3.jpg

We enjoyed our starters (chicken soup for DW, shrimp cocktail for me), and we both had the Thanksgiving turkey dinner, and followed with pumpkin pie. Here is the dinner/dessert menu:

12Oct15%20Dinner%20and%20dessert%20menu_zpscmyoxhau.jpg

More later,

Dave

We have had a relaxing day, otherwise. I also took a set of shots of the new wine menu, which I will show in this and the next post. My camera may do OK on landscapes, but I’ve not mastered files of texts in the mostly artificial light on board. These are not great, but are passably readable. And, hey, at least they aren’t blue

Dave

Thank you so much for the new wine list. They have added some wines we haven't seen on the list before. Looking forward to having them and trying some new ones on the Veendam next month!

Penny:)

Tuesday, October 13, Charlottetown (Cont.)

We enjoyed our PEI Top 10 tour last week, but decided today to walk ashore and explore the town a bit more in depth. It is aabout 60 F/15C and a bit of breeze, but not heavy wind, so we figure a jacket is all we will need. We will take a backpack with umbrellas and ponchos, because you never know, but we hope not to need them.

Here are today’s On Location pages:

13Oct15%20On%20Location%201_zpsqldtg0lm.jpg

13Oct15%20On%20Location%202_zpso63jwkvf.jpg

13Oct15%20On%20Location%203_zpslndvw8vx.jpg

13Oct15%20On%20Location%204_zpsuehe5qej.jpg

More later,

Dave