Best All You Can Eat Cruise Buffets

mugtech

It is not just sneakers which shout "tourist"; so many articles of clothing indicate it, gestures give it away, just walking slowly, looking up at buildings (with or without map in hand) is another giveaway. Don't sweat trying (most probably unsuccessfully) to look like a native - just try not to act like a jerk.

Off topic, has nothing to do with cruise buffets.

capris and socks - make you look really cut off. There are socks (aka "pads" or "footies" that are low-cut and don't show. She had half crews - the ones that go up over your ankle bone. Plus, the white tennis shoes just shout "tourist"...

Off topic, has nothing to do with cruise buffets

.... Years ago, when we first started touring Europe, I used to buy a fabulous Bass rubber soled shoe in black and another in brown.

Not sure if wearing one brown and one black shoe is "touristy" or not. Can't seem to work that one out! :D;)

Edited by SantaFeFan

You're slipping, mug doesn't like anything that doesn't pertain to buffets having posted FIVE times.....in a row. :D

You are right - I must be slipping. I saw the five identical replies, but did not notice they were to five different posts. I thought it was a bad case of duplicate posting. Thanks for pointing out what I missed.

Thanks for posting the link. Having read the article, I am disappointed that there was hardly any mention of quality. It would appear that the lines were rated against quantity - more choices and lots of food.

Thanks for posting the link. Having read the article, I am disappointed that there was hardly any mention of quality. It would appear that the lines were rated against quantity - more choices and lots of food.

Most people are interested in quantity especially how much they can pile on a plate ;)

Don't you realize that discussing creation of threads and discussing avoiding them are also off-topic on a thread devoted to buffets?

Guess it just wandered off as they often do, or so I have been informed. And yes, this response is also off topic.:D

Most people are interested in quantity especially how much they can pile on a plate ;)

I guess I'm in the majority who cares when most of the buffet stations are open especially during dinner or late afternoon/evening snack. I give the edge to NCL over Carnival, even though Carnival had slightly better tasting food and way better decorum /presentation setup - NCL had all their stations open even Indian and stir fry at all times (even 10:30am) while Carnival has most of theirs open during lunch time while extremely limited all other times even breakfast.

When you want plate full of certain type(s) of food/cuisine at different hours but the buffet has limited hours of the station(s) - that downgrades the quality & quantity of that cruise line's buffet, IMO.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

You are right - I must be slipping. I saw the five identical replies, but did not notice they were to five different posts. I thought it was a bad case of duplicate posting. Thanks for pointing out what I missed.

My pleasure, always happy to help out. :D Truth be told, I too at first, thought it was the duplicate post gremlin at work.:D

I, for one, will always take quality over quantity. I'm always amazed when people complain that breakfast, and even lunch, is the same old same old. Just how many different things can be offered? That being said, even if the quality is not the best, I would love to come down in the morning at home and find all the choices available and ALREADY COOKED for me. How many people grab a bagel and a cup of coffee at home and call it breakfast or grab generic burgers and fries from a fast food place for lunch? Funny how people become gourmands once they set foot on a cruise.:p

I have yet to be on a cruise on any line that I couldn't find something decent to eat on a buffet for breakfast or lunch. Don't get me started on the ones who say the food is inedible.

I, for one, will always take quality over quantity. I'm always amazed when people complain that breakfast, and even lunch, is the same old same old. Just how many different things can be offered? That being said, even if the quality is not the best, I would love to come down in the morning at home and find all the choices available and ALREADY COOKED for me.

I agree

I dislike buffets but when I do have to go I am spoiled for choice

At home it is the same old salad everyday ;)

Cannot wait for my cruise so I can have something different each day

I agree

I dislike buffets but when I do have to go I am spoiled for choice

At home it is the same old salad everyday ;)

Cannot wait for my cruise so I can have something different each day

My husband and I are the same. When come to food we are very spoiled. Iheartbda is a very good friend of mine, she know that we would not might pay a few thousand dollar for a meal.

We are happy Oceania has the best buffet. We will be on Insignia for 180 days world cruise next year.

M

Edited by Porthopper101

Oh, I see, not really fashionable in your eyes means ugly American. :eek:

The combination of dressing like slobs in a 5 star hotel, loading their plates like pigs to the trough, is what I would call Ugly American tourist behavior… Better left for staying the Embassy Suites in Orlando prior to going to DisneyWorld than one of the best hotels in Rome (reference to ES because it does have a breakfast buffet).

I was replying to the bacon part of the buffet thread. I was showing there must be something about bacon that make people ignore common sense and take copious portions of the product, leaving none for others. If I had seen a couple dressed like they were going to a wedding in nice suits and dresses grabbing that bacon, I would have made the same comments. But, this family definitely gave off a vibe that everyone in the breakfast room caught.

My job of working for various hotels has afforded me the opportunities to vacation in the high-end hotels of each brand for free or under $100/night. Otherwise, I'd be staying at every country's version of Motel 6 ;-)

Edited by slidergirl

So how did this list get compiled? What was the criteria? I would definitely take any such survey with a grain of salt' date=' especially about something that is so subjective.[/quote']

The criteria seem to be:

- countless cuisine options,

- pleasant dining areas,

- helpful staff,

- navigable layout,

- separate self-serve stations.

The combination of dressing like slobs in a 5 star hotel, loading their plates like pigs to the trough, is what I would call Ugly American tourist behavior… Better left for staying the Embassy Suites in Orlando prior to going to DisneyWorld than one of the best hotels in Rome (reference to ES because it does have a breakfast buffet).

I was replying to the bacon part of the buffet thread. I was showing there must be something about bacon that make people ignore common sense and take copious portions of the product, leaving none for others. If I had seen a couple dressed like they were going to a wedding in nice suits and dresses grabbing that bacon, I would have made the same comments. But, this family definitely gave off a vibe that everyone in the breakfast room caught.

My job of working for various hotels has afforded me the opportunities to vacation in the high-end hotels of each brand for free or under $100/night. Otherwise, I'd be staying at every country's version of Motel 6 ;-)

My experience is that the very best of Rome's hotels don't have buffets. :) When we stopped at the Hassler, they would never even display such a breakfast :eek:. :D :D

I have been happy with the food from the buffets on Holland America, good selection with a few real treats, love it when they are carving a leg of lamb. Food is typically served hotter than in the main dining room. While the food is good I have never had a Lido waiter bring me a drink refill or anything else and staff can be slow to clear tables. With no trays it is a challenge to get everything to your table at serving temperature. Avoid the buffet when it is crowded and during code orange.

I have been happy with the food from the buffets on Holland America, good selection with a few real treats, love it when they are carving a leg of lamb. Food is typically served hotter than in the main dining room. While the food is good I have never had a Lido waiter bring me a drink refill or anything else and staff can be slow to clear tables. With no trays it is a challenge to get everything to your table at serving temperature. Avoid the buffet when it is crowded and during code orange.

What is Code Orange? If avoiding it makes a cruise ship buffet better, I definitely want to do it!