Staggered check-in

caribill

Not the normal staggered check-in thread.

We all know about the Princess staggered check-in where times are assigned to check-in by deck.

What is interesting is that Carnival is experimenting with a different version of how to do it.

Each booking needs to pre-select a 30 minute period to check in. If you will be with others that you want to board together with, all people in that group need to select the same 30 minutes. Passengers with any type cabin on any deck can select any available 30 minite period.

If you do not select a 30 minute check-in period, one will be selected for you the morning of embarkation. You will not be allowed into the terminal until your 30 minute period, so if you arrive at 11 AM and the time selected for you is 2:30 PM, then you will have to wait 3.5 hours to enter the terminal.

Since the number of passengers allowed to check-in each 30 minute period is limited, the later you wait to select your 30 minute period, the more chance there is that the time you want is already filled.

Those with high enough loyalty status, in suites, or with Carnival transfers have to select a time period, but do not have to follow it.

From the Carnival web site:

Q: What is the benefit of Online Check-In?

A: Online Check-In will expedite your boarding process at the terminal by enabling you to select a check-in window, complete all required travel information and print your boarding pass ahead of time. On the day of your cruise, all you will need to do is go through a quick document and security check prior to boarding your cruise.

Q: Why must I select a check-in time online?

A: We know that providing a smooth embarkation experience is an important part of getting your vacation off to a great start. By staggering guests’ arrival times, we will be able to streamline our embarkation process and enhance your boarding experience.

Q: When should I arrive at the terminal?

A: You must arrive at the cruise terminal within the 30 minute check-in window you selected. Check-in windows will be strictly enforced so that we can minimize wait times in the terminal. Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or “Faster to the Fun” must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing. Departure times can be found on your boarding pass.

Q: Are check-in times at cabin or guest level?

A: Check-in windows are selected at the cabin level since most guests traveling in the same cabin usually arrive together. So, be sure to consider your travel partners’ arrival when selecting your check-in window.

Q: What happens if I fail to select a check-in window?

A: If you, or anyone in your cabin fails to select a check-in window, one will be automatically assigned to you the morning of your cruise. You will be notified via email and will have the option to print or save your boarding pass to your mobile device. A boarding pass is required to gain access to the terminal.

Q: If I am traveling with other cabins and we have different check-in times, can we still check-in together?

A: Please go back to the On-Line check in tool to select a window that fits everyone’s needs. Otherwise, check-in windows will be strictly enforced and guests will only be allowed in the terminal according to their assigned time.

Q: What happens if I arrive before or after my designated check-in time?

A: Guests who arrive prior to their check-in window will not be permitted to enter the cruise terminal and will be asked to return at their scheduled check-in time. This will be strictly enforced so we can achieve the desired guest experience. Guests who arrive after their designated check-in time will be accommodated.

Q: What happens if my desired check-in window is closed?

A: Check-in windows are capacity controlled in order to achieve the desired guest experience. If your preferred window is closed, please select the next available check-in window.

Q: Can I waitlist for a specific check-in time if the one I prefer is not available?

A: Sorry, you will not be able to waitlist for a specific check-in window. However, windows may reopen at a later time, so, feel free to access your Online Check-In tool again to see if your preferred check-in time has become available.

Q: What is the latest time I can check-in for my cruise?

A: Check-in closes one (1) hour prior to your cruise’s scheduled departure time as displayed on your boarding pass. Arriving after this time may cause you to miss your cruise and no refunds will be given.

Edited by caribill

Something this extreme should only be necessary at the very few embarkation ports with severely insufficient check-in capacity--or severe understaffing, which may be Carnival's planned future position.

And it is unthinkable that the system could not be designed without the glitch requiring those with preferred check-in to still select a general check-in window, which then takes away a slot from another passenger. (Reminds me of booking with Celebrity where Aqua and Suite passengers still must select an MDR dining preference when booking even though they eat in their own separate dining room "because that is what the computer asks for" and their IT department has chosen to just ignore it for years now)

Wow! Just wow!

At this point they are experimenting with the procedures. In a few months they may decide what they really want to do.

No mention of cruise line transfers or FTTF. Seems to me that more time will be spent checking to see whether someone is ten minutes early than it would be to accommodate them.

It does say

Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or “Faster to the Fun” must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing. Departure times can be found on your boarding pass.

Edited by caribill

A: If you, or anyone in your cabin fails to select a check-in window, one will be automatically assigned to you the morning of your cruise. You will be notified via email and will have the option to print or save your boarding pass to your mobile device. A boarding pass is required to gain access to the terminal.

I wonder what would happen with a scenario like this;

So, I am on a overnight flight from say Seattle to Fort Lauderdale and arrive on the morning of the cruise. My flight arrives at 9:30 AM and I take a cab to the terminal where I arrive around 10:30 AM. I realize that I did not book a check-in time, I don't have a mobile device to check emails or to save anything on (and I obviously do not have a printer with me). They decided to give me a boarding time of say 4:30 PM (ship leaves at 6:00 PM).

Q. What to do with the luggage?

Q. Do I have to wait outside the terminal for 6 hours :eek: ?

I won't be a very happy camper :mad:. I know it would be my mistake by not checking in but then again.

Please Princess do not follow Carnival in this.

Theo

I wonder what would happen with a scenario like this;

So, I am on a overnight flight from say Seattle to Fort Lauderdale and arrive on the morning of the cruise. My flight arrives at 9:30 AM and I take a cab to the terminal where I arrive around 10:30 AM. I realize that I did not book a check-in time, I don't have a mobile device to check emails or to save anything on (and I obviously do not have a printer with me). They decided to give me a boarding time of say 4:30 PM (ship leaves at 6:00 PM).

Q. What to do with the luggage?

Q. Do I have to wait outside the terminal for 6 hours :eek: ?

I won't be a very happy camper :mad:. I know it would be my mistake by not checking in but then again.

Please Princess do not follow Carnival in this.

Theo

I assume they would take your luggage, but the next six hours may require you to entertain yourself. Call it STTF (Slower To The Fun)

This is a disaster waiting to happen. Another reason not to sail Carnival. If I did sail them, I would be buying FTTF.

(When we had that thread going on Princess, most did not want something similar to FTTF on Princess, but I would go for that. Of course it offers no advantage to Elites, but I digress).

If Princess did this, I'd seriously be looking elsewhere because we are not Elite and I am not sure I could take the pain to get there with the Carnival process.

I think I just found the answer to my questions;

Answer; You would not be able to print a boarding pass without picking a boarding time

Other Q; I booked last minute and all boarding times are gone except the 4:30PM. Only flight available is the one with 9:30AM arrival.

Answer; Too bad :rolleyes:

Theo

I think I just found the answer to my questions;

Answer; You would not be able to print a boarding pass without picking a boarding time

Yes, but if you wait to print a boarding pass until embarkation day morning, the Carnival computers will have picked a check-in time for you and thus you could print out the boarding pass.

I wonder what happens to someone who shows up without a boarding pass. Will they let him/her in the terminal or make him/her wait until the end of boarding times.

This sounds awful. I can see people just selecting the earliest times available, which then gives them the flexibility to get there when they want. Then people who actually plan and want to get there early will not have the option because all of those slots will be full. :rolleyes:

Yes, but if you wait to print a boarding pass until embarkation day morning, the Carnival computers will have picked a check-in time for you and thus you could print out the boarding pass.

I wonder what happens to someone who shows up without a boarding pass. Will they let him/her in the terminal or make him/her wait until the end of boarding times.

Yah but remember, I'm on that overnight flight :D

Theo

Do not like it, lol. Times selected at cabin level would not work for me at least half of the time. I travel with a friend who lives in a different city, so we often arrive at different times. If we are flying and the arrival times are close enough, I just wait for her in the baggage claim area, but if not, I head out to the ship when I arrive. In fact, I'll be doing that on my cruise on November 8 as I will be driving to the port whereas she is taking a bus offered by our TA which is based in her city. I'll definitely be getting there first by quite a while.

When we embark at a port across the country, this would be less of an issue as we generally try to have the last leg of our journey on the same flight.

So, I realize the majority of people probably travel and check in together, but it's awfully inconvenient for those of us who don't.

Did I mention I don't like this, lol. Fortunately I am Elite, but just saying, lol.

Edited by Who Knew

Think of the upset people already in the boarding areas without this. Then magnify it as people of all ages and conditions arrive at the terminal and are told they can not enter because it is not "the right time or you missed yours". Then add in hot sun or bad weather. Yep this will make Carnival a very sought after cruise line inside of a few months. Hope they have ambulances and police near by as they are going to need both.

The lawyers are going to love this idea. Grandma passes out from the heat and fails and breaks her hip. Family is already upset because of no shade or water available. Police called as the terminal people can not handle the other family members while the ambulance people treat Grandma. Then in a few months the hospital bills start arriving. Yep the family is not going to be happy at all.

Sorry folks, but this seems reasonable to me. Especially for overcrowded terminals like Houston's Bayport.

If your cabin mate is arriving at a different, later time, select a time slot which coincides with the first guests' arrival. If you don't have a mobile device, print your boarding pass before leaving for the ship. Don't have a smartphone, and forgot to print your boarding pass, arrive shortly before boarding ends.

The future is so SCARY! :)

The thing that the cruise lines need to understand with this whole idea of staggered boarding is that many passengers have little control over the exact time they will arrive at the cruise terminal. They may be flying in and face delays, may be driving to the port from some distance and don't want to risk being late due to being stuck in traffic, etc. The only ones that it really may work for are those that spend the night or live near the port, which is often a minority of the passengers, particularly when you exclude those with cruise transfers.