Breakaway: never been so happy to leave a ship...

Seago2

Manhattan: not good. No no no. I had "mushroom stroganoff" which is where I guess you hit when you're at the bottom of the barrel of cost cutting- leave out the beef altogether- and it was horrible.

I can certainly believe that this specific dish was bad, but did you have other reasons to give Manhattan such a big thumbs down? You said you enjoyed Taste and Savor for the wait staff (but I'm guessing they also had the same mushroom stroganoff on the menu that day, or was this lunchtime?). How were the service and atmosphere in Manhattan MDR? Edited by hawkeyetlse

We also enjoy the Gem much better than the BA. Totally agree, all the common areas are way way to small and confined, you lose the feeling of being on a ship- much more like a hotel, unless you look for the water. Most events held in the atrium should be held in the theater ( which us also too small), or Spinnaker lounge (oops there is none on the BA-one is needed). BA is a fantastic modern ship, with so much to do, as you are crammed in like sardines. We have sailed her a few times, cuz come on, although the ship wasn't built as we would have liked, it still is wonderful and a cruise!! We never had a horrible problem, the worst was just missing events due to lack of space, but there is always something else to do.

Safe sailing

I can certainly believe that this specific dish was bad, but did you have other reasons to give Manhattan such a big thumbs down? You said you enjoyed Taste and Savor for the wait staff (but I'm guessing they also had the same mushroom stroganoff on the menu that day, or was this lunchtime?). How were the service and atmosphere in Manhattan MDR?

Taste and Savor- we only went there for breakfast (excellent) and sea day lunch (ok). Manhattan: went there one night. Yes, my dish was (to my taste, and I've sailed so many Carnival ships- it's not like I'm fussy or my expectations are high) awful. My husband got the fish... I think it was grouper? It was just plain, nothing special. When you compare to the food in the Garden Cafe, which as I said was pretty good, it made no sense to go back to Manhattan.

I forgot to add: Manhattan had a three piece musical combo with a singer. I thought they were pretty good. And the dining room itself is a nice space.

ETA: you asked about Manhattan service. It was fine. Bread replenished, water replenished, friendly faces. Service good.

Edited by Seago2

I noticed you have been on Cunard, did you sail on the QM2 by any chance? She is huge, bigger than the Breakaway, but the she is laid out the ship always seems empty.

/QUOTE]

This pretty well says it - Breakaway carries 1,400 more passengers and is a smaller ship than QM2. Breakaway's staffing has a ratio of about 2.5 passengers per 1 staff member while QM2's is about 2 to 1. Perhaps the differential is not as great when comparing with other ships - but that sort of differential must impact the cruising experience.

Breakaway is designed to maximize revenue by maximizing passenger load -- yes, there is much to do - but even more people trying to do it.

I suspect that simply being on a ship will come to be seen as not enough - and that once people have experienced quality, they will increasingly turn to mid-sized (and possibly even smaller) ships.

I noticed you have been on Cunard, did you sail on the QM2 by any chance? She is huge, bigger than the Breakaway, but the she is laid out the ship always seems empty.

/QUOTE]

This pretty well says it - Breakaway carries 1,400 more passengers and is a smaller ship than QM2. Breakaway's staffing has a ratio of about 2.5 passengers per 1 staff member while QM2's is about 2 to 1. Perhaps the differential is not as great when comparing with other ships - but that sort of differential must impact the cruising experience.

Breakaway is designed to maximize revenue by maximizing passenger load -- yes, there is much to do - but even more people trying to do it.

I suspect that simply being on a ship will come to be seen as not enough - and that once people have experienced quality, they will increasingly turn to mid-sized (and possibly even smaller) ships.

NavyBankerTeacher- we were supposed to be on a crossing together this fall! Unfortunately my husband has to have surgery and he's English- a crossing means two weeks of visiting people and then flying back. That's pretty much impossible to pull off. So, in haste, I booked BA.

Honestly I was underwhelmed by Dawn the last time I sailed her. First time was great. Three Spirit cruises- loved, loved, loved. So I thought- as between a drive to Boston to sail a ship for the third time that I'm not wild about or a drive to NYC to sail a new ship with all the bells and whistles... Unfortunately the bells and whistles were clanging in my face the whole time. I did read four books though, so there's that...:rolleyes:

I was thinking about going on the Breakaway, but after reading this I'm very hesitant. Thanks for the heads up!

Big ships are not for everybody. I loved the Breakaway, Epic , and the Getaway. Probably likes the Breakaway more because of the Bermuda trip, but don't let one review sway you. Do your research and look at what you like to do. I never thought the ship was that crowded, but we don't sail at high volume times like the holidays and summer. I am going on the Jade soon and I don't know if we will

be bored or not after sailing the big ships of NCL, but hey if I am bored on a ship it's much better then being at work.

Our first Breakaway cruise was a blast, BUT...there were 30 friends and family sailing, and it was August to Bermuda. Spice H2O was available to us every day, which alleviates some of the crowding. Most nights we would be able to squeeze next to one of our travel mates to see an event. And I mean SQUEEZE!

My second was a 2 night cruise to nowhere, in January....bad, bad, idea. People were packed everywhere...everyone was nice, crew was awesome, etc, but crowded is putting it mildly.

Third was February....same scenario as January until we reached warm ports. The waterfront seating was a blessing, never crowded and was a quiet place to read or view the ocean.

I rarely went to the night time parties in Spice, but did hear they get crowded too.

The ship definitely needs bigger venues for for it's activities, the atrium just doesn't work well.

The bad: never again will I sail on a mega ship. OMG. First of all, the lido deck, which really encompasses 15, 16 and 17, was designed by a team of schizophrenic madmen. To get from one place to another you are met with walls (the Haven, the ropes course, a huge amount of space for the bottom of the slides, Vibe, basketball course), stairs (up and down, no rhyme or reason- unless the goal was "fill as much on here as possible without regard to flow"), 8 foot tall plexiglass around the vast majority of the decks (with a little slit you can look out of), cheesy kid areas, a way too small pool- the overall feeling is one so removed from being "at sea" that the first thing I did upon trying to get from one end to the other of it was run down and get Vibe passes.

Thank god for Vibe. It's an oasis. It's a shame you have to pay $100 to experience a relaxing deck (still with the 8 foot high plexiglass, though) but it's worth it to get away from the insane crowds of people clustering in the available lido deck space.

My sister and I were on Breakaway in August. This was our first NCL cruise but our previous two cruises had been on Royal Caribbean Oasis and Allure of the Seas (even bigger than the Breakaway). My main complaint about Breakaway was its lack of public spaces or where there were public spaces you couldn't hear yourself think, let alone try to read a book (like you mentioned). At least on Oasis and Allure, the public spaces are wonderfully designed and you never felt like you were tripping over people. There were quiet, out of the way places to read and relax, even enjoy a cocktail without some drunk knocking into you, even though the ship was enormous. The pool areas were relaxing.

I have been on The Getaway three times. So, I must like it. But I dislike how everything is stuffed in the middle. After studying the deck plan you will see so much, up to 25% of the forward indoor and outdoor space is taken up by the Getaway Theater and all of the Haven only spaces. If those spaces were redesigned or, God forbid, the ship lengthened a bit the inside would seem less cramped. How do the other cruise lines deal with the suite only spaces?

Well everyone is different. :) I great enjoy the Breakway. Including being a bottom feeder in a cheap inside.

I've been on both the Breakaway & the Breeze. The open plan Ocean Plaza area of the Breeze made it seem less crowded than the BA, but the music volume was so loud that you could hear music from 3 venues at the same time. The hot tub area outside the nightclub was deserted during the day. What a terrific spot.

on the BA, I found the spa & the public sun deck on 17 opposite Vibe, to be quiet & I loved the waterfront during the day. Fat Cats & the theater never seemed to be crowded, but I wish they used those areas for daytime activities.

I like the activities on the mega ships, but at times some venues seem very crowded & the atrium on the BA should only occasionally be used for activities.

I will agree with you that the atrium is horrible for activities. Too crowded and not enough seating. Bringing out folding chairs is so tacky. The jewel class ships are so much nicer with smaller lounges to host events!

Well everyone is different. :) I great enjoy the Breakway. Including being a bottom feeder in a cheap inside.

Hey we had an inside and it looked beautiful- until I called exactly a week before boarding and got a balcony for $10 more pp! Always pays to call. The rooms are really, really nice.

When you say bad butler experience in the aft? Did you ask for things and did not get what was asked? I am on this ship in aft in 3 weeks. Just curious what made the butler bad. I mean, you pay out the a$&&; for it.

Yes, our Butler experience was terrible. I was in a aft suite on the 11th floor & saw our Butler once -the day before were were leaving he came by to ask if we were going to bring our bags ourselves.

Never met him on the first day as I expected, especially since our ship was held in NY until 2 am to try & give the hurricane time to go past Bermuda.

On the second day we asked for some food (nothing special) & nothing he brought was close to what we asked for. I had requested no seafood for snacks. but we received it each day. I asked to have a few cans of gingerale placed in the fridge & his response for not bringing them? He couldn't find any. Yes. He couldn't find any. I went to one of the bars & bought my own.

I asked for a pitcher of water & a pitcher of ice tea for the fridge & never saw them. Cheese plate for the afternoon snack? No. He said the snacks were pre-prepared & no changes could be made.

After day 2 I never bothered him again I placed any snack he brought outside the door to be picked up. I left notes not to bring any other food, but apparently no one read them as seafood snacks kept appearing.

If I wanted something for the morning or afternoon snack I went to the buffet & brought it back to our room. ( take a few ziploc bags with you)

I hope you don't get stuck with him. His name is Renato.

Good luck & have a great cruise!

Edited by MMMD

I will agree with you that the atrium is horrible for activities. Too crowded and not enough seating. Bringing out folding chairs is so tacky. The jewel class ships are so much nicer with smaller lounges to host events!

The absence of a "Spinnaker" venue large enough to accommodate popular activities is certainly turning out to be a design flaw of the Breakaway class.

Edited by NYcruzzer

The simple fact is that NCL's business model is to cram as many passengers as possible onto their ships in order to maximize revenue. This is clearly demonstrated by the obvious inadequacy of public spaces, the necessity to make reservations for the theatre on their newer ships, etc.

Not a fan of crowding - or of huge numbers of people, crowded or not - I will probably never sail Breakaway, Epic, etc. or any of Royal Caribbean's jumbos either. The fact that NCL seems to have a lock on the winter market to the Caribbean from New York has lured me onto the Gem - after many years of avoiding NCL altogether. It will be interesting to balance ship vs. itinerary.

Yes, our Butler experience was terrible. I was in a aft suite on the 11th floor & saw our Butler once -the day before were were leaving he came by to ask if we were going to bring our bags ourselves.

Never met him on the first day as I expected, especially since our ship was held in NY until 2 am to try & give the hurricane time to go past Bermuda.

On the second day we asked for some food (nothing special) & nothing he brought was close to what we asked for. I had requested no seafood for snacks. but we received it each day. I asked to have a few cans of gingerale placed in the fridge & his response for not bringing them? He couldn't find any. Yes. He couldn't find any. I went to one of the bars & bought my own.

I asked for a pitcher of water & a pitcher of ice tea for the fridge & never saw them. Cheese plate for the afternoon snack? No. He said the snacks were pre-prepared & no changes could be made.

After day 2 I never bothered him again I placed any snack he brought outside the door to be picked up. I left notes not to bring any other food, but apparently no one read them as seafood snacks kept appearing.

If I wanted something for the morning or afternoon snack I went to the buffet & brought it back to our room. ( take a few ziploc bags with you)

I hope you don't get stuck with him. His name is Renato.

Good luck & have a great cruise!

I hope after the first issue you spoke with his boss (concierge) and told them the issues

I hope after the first issue you spoke with his boss (concierge) and told them the issues

Yes. I just knew since I neglected to mention this in my first reply -that someone would bring it up.

I spoke to both the Concierge (Virginia), who I wasn't impressed with & the HD.

On a 7 day cruise I expected to see an immediate improvement. I didn't, so gave up. I wasn't going to spend even more hours complaining. The issues I told both about should have been quick fixes, but again, weren't.

I just enjoyed our Suite, Bermuda & got things for myself.

As I did mention previously, I feel I paid for perks I did not receive, but I didn't let it ruin the entire 7 days.

I won't ever sail on the Breakaway again & may try a different line other than NCL next time. I realize their Suite perks are usually the best, but not if you don't actually get them.

I'm not even sure why I should have to complain. I assume the Butler knows what his job is & should just be able to do it.

It just seems that from my last experience in a Suite on the Jewel to this one, the perks were severely lacking- from embarking to disembarking & everything in between.

For the Haven prices -I expected better.

Yes. I just knew since I neglected to mention this in my first reply -that someone would bring it up.

I spoke to both the Concierge (Virginia), who I wasn't impressed with & the HD.

On a 7 day cruise I expected to see an immediate improvement. I didn't, so gave up. I wasn't going to spend even more hours complaining. The issues I told both about should have been quick fixes, but again, weren't.

I just enjoyed our Suite, Bermuda & got things for myself.

As I did mention previously, I feel I paid for perks I did not receive, but I didn't let it ruin the entire 7 days.

I won't ever sail on the Breakaway again & may try a different line other than NCL next time. I realize their Suite perks are usually the best, but not if you don't actually get them.

I'm not even sure why I should have to complain. I assume the Butler knows what his job is & should just be able to do it.

It just seems that from my last experience in a Suite on the Jewel to this one, the perks were severely lacking- from embarking to disembarking & everything in between.

For the Haven prices -I expected better.

Thats too bad, we were in the Haven last week in the breakaway in a 2 bedroom, Virginia was also our Concierge and she was absolutely awesome as was our Butler. For all the money i spent for the Haven, I certainly would not have given up and would have kept moving it up the chain of command until it was fixed. If people have issues and no one complains nothing will ever get fixed, never give up

Edited by pieshops

For all the money i spent for the Haven, I certainly would not have given up and would have kept moving it up the chain of command until it was fixed. If people have issues and no one complains nothing will ever get fixed, never give up

The OP did go up the chain of command but once you get no satisfaction from the Hotel Director where is the next level on board?

The OP did go up the chain of command but once you get no satisfaction from the Hotel Director where is the next level on board?
It wasn't the OP but MMMD, and it would be good know through what channels or in what context they contacted the HD and if they ever received any response. Because it seems unusual to me that the HD would not respond at all (even if they are not willing or able to solve the problem, for whatever reason).

I do not know, but if it was me I am standing at the front desk until the next above the hotel director comes and talks to me even if that is the captain.