Breakaway: never been so happy to leave a ship...

Seago2

I do not know, but if it was me I am standing at the front desk until the next above the hotel director comes and talks to me even if that is the captain.

Actually, it would be the Staff Captain, that is who the HD reports to. All department heads report to the Staff Captain except engineering, who reports directly to the Captain.

Yes I agree I will never do a mega ship-too many people. I am looking forward to my Gem cruise, I hear it's a great ship and a perfect size

Have a great trip on the Gem! The Jade/Gem class is my Goldilocks class: not too big and not too small.

Sorry, OP, that you had a bad cruise. Thank you for your review. Glad you enjoyed Bermuda, though, and appreciate your compliments on the crew.

A crowded ship is rarely a good experience. Cold weather on our Transpacific on the X Millenium (no kids to speak of) forced a full ship all indoors and it was not so good....and a lot of us got sick to boot.

We were on a cruise this summer (HAL) where the average age was over 80. We had a great cruise....very few children, needless to say.

That said, I am looking for a ship to have a family cruise. Need one with those activities for small children.

Not sure where the balance is in all that, but hope you have a better experience next cruise.

I guess it's just hard for some to believe that sometimes no matter who you speak to -things aren't always fixed.

I spoke to Virginia & the HD in person on 2 different days & was assured both times that the problems would be taken care of.

They weren't. It's as simple as that.

Again, on a 7 day cruise I wasn't going to spend more time seeking out people to complain to. I shouldn't have to.

I expected Virginia to handle it & when she didn't I went 'up the chain of command' to the HD. The result was the same -nothing changed.

I was trying to enjoy my vacation -not seek appointments with various personnel to take my complaints to. The 2 I spoke with should just handle the problems & when they didn't I dropped it. I was already on day 3 of a 7 day cruise & didn't want to waste another minute on problems I did bring to their attention.

But that doesn't mean I was going to keep quiet about it here. I appreciate when others give me tips or a heads up on problems they encountered so I can be on the look out.

I just wanted future people sailing on the Breakaway in the Haven to be aware of MY experience. Many others have also stated that their experiences were completely different. I'm happy some had no troubles & wonderful Suite perks -but this wasn't the case for me during this sailing.

For Haven prices, I expected & should have received much better service -especially after I only asked for what I paid for.

I want to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. It has helped to crystalize a number of thoughts I have been having over the last few months.

I have always had doubts as to if I should take a chance and sail on Breakaway, Getaway or the new Escape if a suitable intinerary ever came up and I am now certain that the answer is a definite no. We dislike crowds, we don't like not being able to get around from place to place easily, and we like a quieter, more relaxing trip. It does not sound, to me, like we would get even one of those things on these ships. I will stick to the Jewel class and smaller ships for the forseeable future and then see where we are in 5-10 years time.

Glad that my very 1st cruise was a small one similar in size to the Jewel-class ships - it made me realize I had the opposite problem of most posters here, I don't like the small ships much. Not enough activities happening at the same time in different places especially if one has an interior room - better like the sundeck because thats all they got going for them.

While people complain about the Breakaway-class ship Atrium space being too small - I never encounter that problem because there was different activities I wanted to do that just didn't take place there, it was either at the theater, a lounge or a restaurant with plenty of room to spread out. It literally depends on what you want to do - I like to go to a tastings or presentations and well, they just didn't happen in the Atruim.*shrug* The only times I did go to the Atrium to enjoy was for musical performances and it just wasn't even crowded - literally empty to the point I sitting sideways with feet up and no one batted an eye.*shrug*

True, the pool is small - all you can do is float when 20-30 are in it, not really swim in there. But that's what port stops in the Caribbean are for.[emoji39] And dining options? Love that there's so many different options at different times - for example if the buffet it too crowded or not too appealing for lunch, love that the Sushi Bar is empty to eat at. True, have to pay but I don't mind paying for a bottle of hot sake and platter of rolls for about $20 anyway.[emoji7]

Guess the old saying goes, when it comes to small /big ships - To each their own.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Sailed on the Breakaway twice on the exact same cruise a year apart, 12 nights out of NY in January. The second time is what made us realize the mega ships by NCL really are not for us. Everything the OP points out is true. If everything goes perfect you will enjoy your cruise if, and a big if, you don't mind dealing with crowds and waiting on lines.

Once there is an issue of any sort, all you get is lip service. There's 4,000 people to deal with and 1, or 2 or 3 unhappy customers just are not worth their time or effort to fix, I know because we've been there and done that. Its almost a year since we have been on the BA and I'm hearing the same complaints over and over. Too crowded, long lines, hate the pool area, screaming kids, etc. etc. etc.

So if you like what the BA offers, great, you will have a great vacation, otherwise, stick to the smaller ships. In comparison, you get the NCL experience on the GEM, with none of the over crowding problems that the BA brings

I think it's funny that Dawn and Jewel class ships are now considered "small". I remember sailing the pre stretch Majesty. Now THAT'S small. But then again, the first ship I sailed on when I was 6 years old the Ocean Monarch, was only 13,800 GRT.

Thank you for the post. I will definitely avoid this ship. It's funny but that has been my issue with both of our NCL cruises and those were not on large mega-ships. In my opinion there is not enough space for relaxing on NCL, maybe because of the specialty restaurants taking up space? We do some activities but most often want to relax, read, watch the water, walk on the promenade deck, etc. and have found that kind of space very lacking. And in the evening we like to listen to music and perhaps dance a little and have found very little space for that as well. We had decided to avoid NCL in the future and this reinforces that decision.

I think it's funny that Dawn and Jewel class ships are now considered "small". I remember sailing the pre stretch Majesty. Now THAT'S small. But then again, the first ship I sailed on when I was 6 years old the Ocean Monarch, was only 13,800 GRT.

Yeah, I know, my first ship had something like 1,200 passengers max! I guess I'm showing my age LOL

All kidding aside, its what one is looking for in a cruise vacation. If its peace and quite and maybe a stringed quartet, ships like the BA can't provide it. That's not what they are built for. If you want multiple options and slides and rock climbing walls then maybe it is.

There's a fine line in the industry catering to the new cruiser and their families vs the "old timer", and I'm sure that covers many generations in between. NCL seems to be catering to the former group. Unfortunately, its the older generations with money to spend and do so multiple times a year vs the once a year family gathering. That's why lines like Holland America have their niche with the "old timers".

It will be interesting to see what happens in years to come as all the main stream lines seem to be building mega ships that become less appealing as people age, and I only say that in a good sense as there's nothing wrong with catering to one group or another. But you see the posts all the time about children or lines or pick a topic some are truly better off on a smaller ship that's not built to "thrill" every minute.

The question is, will there be options for people in 5 or 10 years when only 5,000 passenger ships are being built?

And in the evening we like to listen to music and perhaps dance a little and have found very little space for that as well. We had decided to avoid NCL in the future and this reinforces that decision.

That's interesting. One of my favorite things to do is listen to music, preferably live music, in the evenings. That is one of the reasons I've chosen NCL recently over ships on other lines-- because there are so many more options for music in the evenings compared to what I've found elsewhere.

I guess it's just hard for some to believe that sometimes no matter who you speak to -things aren't always fixed.

Again, on a 7 day cruise I wasn't going to spend more time seeking out people to complain to. I shouldn't have to.

I agree, at some point, wasting precious vacation time at Guest Services isn't worth it.

I regret all the time I wasted at Guest Services on the Getaway last summer. NCL had assured me that our balcony cabin was across the hall from the entrance to the studio cabin area (where my mom was staying), as their deck plan indicates. There was no door there, as it turns out, which was a major pain the whole week. Since we couldn't switch cabins (full ship), I tried to get some type of OBC as compensation.

I wasted about 3 hours standing in line at Guest Services and talking to reps there who were not helpful, understanding, or apologetic, and who kept promising to contact me once they'd received feedback from their boss. They never contacted me, so back to Guest Services I trudged again and again.

I never got any OBC, but during part of the time I spent at Guest Services, for example, I missed taking my son to the pool to play on the slides with some friends he had met. I wasted those 3 hours instead of enjoying my vacation.

I finally got some future cruise credit after emailing a complaint to NCL when I got home. After I use up that credit, I don't plan to sail with NCL again.

It's so sad that their mega ships are so poorly designed. I keep thinking I want to try Breakaway or Getaway but experiences/reviews like this bring me back to the reality. If not for my experience on the Epic I may think this is perhaps just a one off and exaggerated. The Epic was so horrible, hated the crowding in the atrium area and the main pathways, hated the elevator crowding, hated that there seemed to be no areas to get away from the noise, hated debarkation - it was insane. Passengers seemed to react to the crowding by being rude and pushy which seemed to spill over to the crew as there was no warm and fuzzy feeling like I felt on our first Pearl cruise. We loved the entertainment though, Legends was so much fun.

So sad :( Oh and similar to the post above, we spent more time at Guest Services on this cruise than all my other cruises combined; much of it waiting in a long line behind many others. I normally never have reason to visit them but this cruise I think we were there more than five times. PAINFUL!

Edited by poffles

Yeah, I know, my first ship had something like 1,200 passengers max! I guess I'm showing my age LOL

All kidding aside, its what one is looking for in a cruise vacation. If its peace and quite and maybe a stringed quartet, ships like the BA can't provide it. That's not what they are built for. If you want multiple options and slides and rock climbing walls then maybe it is.

There's a fine line in the industry catering to the new cruiser and their families vs the "old timer", and I'm sure that covers many generations in between. NCL seems to be catering to the former group. Unfortunately, its the older generations with money to spend and do so multiple times a year vs the once a year family gathering. That's why lines like Holland America have their niche with the "old timers".

It will be interesting to see what happens in years to come as all the main stream lines seem to be building mega ships that become less appealing as people age, and I only say that in a good sense as there's nothing wrong with catering to one group or another. But you see the posts all the time about children or lines or pick a topic some are truly better off on a smaller ship that's not built to "thrill" every minute.

The question is, will there be options for people in 5 or 10 years when only 5,000 passenger ships are being built?

Not quite true. There are *many* people that sail 3-4x per year and book only in The Haven. My wife and I are part of that group ;). That is where you find the peace and quiet. In fact, I wouldn't trade The Haven for anything. That is the reason why we went to NCL in the first place.

Not quite true. There are *many* people that sail 3-4x per year and book only in The Haven. My wife and I are part of that group ;). That is where you find the peace and quiet. In fact, I wouldn't trade The Haven for anything. That is the reason why we went to NCL in the first place.

The only place I found some peace & quiet was on my own aft balcony. The Haven lounge area (inside by the restaurant entrance) was always busy with families, people playing games & running screaming children. The pool area was worse.

The Haven area is nice, depending on who your fellow Haven travelers are.

I think on my cruise a lot more people crowded the Haven because the rest of the Breakaway was chaos most of the time. The crowds & noise were something hard to get away from. No place to sit & talk with a drink or after dinner coffee, or listen to some music.

I agree with MMMD who said they paid for perks they didn't get. I feel the same way. My butler was disinterested, Virginia wasn't visible unless you actually entered the Haven area & the Haven restaurant was just OK. The hot tub was in constant use & the pool full of rowdy kids.

Many times during the day I visited the Haven for some quiet & only found it to be crowded & noisy, just like the rest of the ship.

I've sailed sailed on the Gem & Jewel & always found quiet places throughout the ship to sit & read or hold a conversation with someone without yelling. These mega ships are not for me. First time on the Breakaway & the last.

I imagine the new Escape will be worse. Virginia (the Concierge) mentioned how many more Suites were being added. Just think of the chaos in Haven areas after that. If they keep it up, the Haven won't be special anymore. I already felt this way on the Breakaway.

All inclusive resorts that cater to adults is what I'll be looking for if ship building continues to add more & more passengers crowded into small venues.

Further to the NCL suite experience as related by MMMD.

I dislike speaking in generalities, but having just recently experienced my first (and possibly last) NCL suite experience, I am left with the feeling that they promise a lot that they do not deliver.

It does seem plausible that one single lazy worker can create an experience a good deal less enjoyable than what one had paid for. Our cabin staff were pleasant and adequate, but nothing more. As with many of the cabin staff, I got the impression they were quite overworked (Not by their complaints however).

And I thank the OP for keeping me off crowded, badly designed and oversold floating hotels.

The only place I found some peace & quiet was on my own aft balcony. The Haven lounge area (inside by the restaurant entrance) was always busy with families, people playing games & running screaming children. The pool area was worse.

The Haven area is nice, depending on who your fellow Haven travelers are.

I think on my cruise a lot more people crowded the Haven because the rest of the Breakaway was chaos most of the time. The crowds & noise were something hard to get away from. No place to sit & talk with a drink or after dinner coffee, or listen to some music.

I agree with MMMD who said they paid for perks they didn't get. I feel the same way. My butler was disinterested, Virginia wasn't visible unless you actually entered the Haven area & the Haven restaurant was just OK. The hot tub was in constant use & the pool full of rowdy kids.

Many times during the day I visited the Haven for some quiet & only found it to be crowded & noisy, just like the rest of the ship.

I've sailed sailed on the Gem & Jewel & always found quiet places throughout the ship to sit & read or hold a conversation with someone without yelling. These mega ships are not for me. First time on the Breakaway & the last.

I imagine the new Escape will be worse. Virginia (the Concierge) mentioned how many more Suites were being added. Just think of the chaos in Haven areas after that. If they keep it up, the Haven won't be special anymore. I already felt this way on the Breakaway.

All inclusive resorts that cater to adults is what I'll be looking for if ship building continues to add more & more passengers crowded into small venues.

We met in the Haven lounge, correct? Nice to see you again. I remember our conversation comparing our suite disappointments & how we kept having to move away from some very loud fellow Haven guests.

I absolutely agree that the Haven is becoming less and less special. I looked at the deck plans for the Escape and see the same problems the Breakaway already has, small public places, more suites and more passengers crammed in. I'm guessing the butlers will be stretched even further with the additional suites and the amount of people allowed to occupy them.

I'd never sail on a ship the size of the Breakaway again, so the Escape who holds even more is a definite no.

Further to the NCL suite experience as related by MMMD.

I dislike speaking in generalities, but having just recently experienced my first (and possibly last) NCL suite experience, I am left with the feeling that they promise a lot that they do not deliver.

It does seem plausible that one single lazy worker can create an experience a good deal less enjoyable than what one had paid for. Our cabin staff were pleasant and adequate, but nothing more. As with many of the cabin staff, I got the impression they were quite overworked (Not by their complaints however).

And I thank the OP for keeping me off crowded, badly designed and oversold floating hotels.

Not only 'promise' more than they deliver, but certainly charge a lot more. Just check the prices for the new Escape in the Haven area. Unbelievable.

With no guarantee that I would receive the perks I paid for, I'm turned off sailing with NCL for now.

I'll be interested to read Haven reviews from the Escape to see how more suites added in will will be a good thing. If the butler is invisible & the things you ask for are impossible, if the Haven lounge is just as noisy and crowded as public places on the ship, and embarking/disembarking isn't much different from anyone else, then I'm wondering what the 'special' part of the Haven is.

I'll be looking for some all inclusive resorts with Thiswillbefunnj to vacation in the future, especially if new ship builds are for 4K+ passengers from now on.

I'm sorry your first suite experience was disappointing as well. This seems to be a trend.

We booked a spa room in The Haven for our Getaway cruise. Very, very disappointing. We should have known better. The Haven has family suites and during our two weeks on the back2back, we rarely encountered peace and quiet. There were lots of kids and the Haven pool area was not a restful place.

The ship, in my mind, was a hot mess - very crowded, very loud and very congested. The atrium was a bottleneck in the evenings and when it was the venue for shows it looked like a frat house - people bringing in trays of food and bottles on the floor, not to mention the tacky folding chairs.

I am not even sure the problems we encountered had anything to do with its size. I think it was its design. We sailed on the Oasis and it never felt crowded.

It was our first and will certainly be our last NCL cruise.

... Which makes things easier, actually. No Post Cruise Depression.

Background: 6 NCL, 10 Carnival, 2 each HAL and Cunard, 1 each MSC and Princess.

The good: the crew was excellent. It was so nice to see crew in perfectly tailored uniforms, instead of the sloppy, hastily tucked in look that I've seen on Carnival of late. My cabin steward was great; he always kept us stocked with extra coffee pods and creamers, introduced himself the first hour we were there, and was always in the hallways saying hello. Ryan, cabin 10162. The guest services staff seemed to always be mingling in the line to make sure we were in the right line. Taste, Savor, La Cucina and Le Bistro wait staff were all great. And it's a new ship. Everything is clean and unmarked. 678 Ocean is a nice space. Our cabin was perfect. The Garden Cafe (lido buffet) is a really nice space and surprisingly good. Taste and Savor for breakfast- excellent.

The bad: never again will I sail on a mega ship. OMG. First of all, the lido deck, which really encompasses 15, 16 and 17, was designed by a team of schizophrenic madmen. To get from one place to another you are met with walls (the Haven, the ropes course, a huge amount of space for the bottom of the slides, Vibe, basketball course), stairs (up and down, no rhyme or reason- unless the goal was "fill as much on here as possible without regard to flow"), 8 foot tall plexiglass around the vast majority of the decks (with a little slit you can look out of), cheesy kid areas, a way too small pool- the overall feeling is one so removed from being "at sea" that the first thing I did upon trying to get from one end to the other of it was run down and get Vibe passes.

Thank god for Vibe. It's an oasis. It's a shame you have to pay $100 to experience a relaxing deck (still with the 8 foot high plexiglass, though) but it's worth it to get away from the insane crowds of people clustering in the available lido deck space.

And God help you if it rains. All of those people, the sunburned, passed out people with five dead pina coladas next to their loungers, the little kids, the groups, the strollers and scooters, the teens- will be at 678 Ocean. If you remove the casino portion they're really at 6-8 Ocean. If you remove the giant Park West art hallway and the upsell restaurants, everyone is literally crowded into the atrium/non-atrium, with ear blasting trivia games or whatever else they had going on. And I'm telling you, the volume on that ship is ear splitting. When people tell you to take ear plugs they are not kidding.

It seemed as though most people picked the UBP. There was a lot of heavy drinking going on, including the last night, when most people have received their folio and have put the brakes on their spending. It did seem like most people were having a good time at the bars (of course walking by you had the miserable parents with kids in strollers, the scooter brigade- everyone looking for something to do, somewhere to sit or even stand).

We picked the UDP:

Cagney's: after we started eating our bread the guy at the table next to us said "I think they're having an off night". Yes they were. I returned my 8 ounce filet twice and I never return things. It was just raw inside and I can't.... The sides were really mediocre- the scalloped potatoes were cold and hard. But I didn't feel too bad about sending mine back when another guy at a table near us simply walked out with his wife. He made sure he wasn't charged and walked out. I've never seen that on a ship before. The food took a long time but they brought us extra appetizers.

After that experience I changed my next Cagney's to La Cucina, which I know makes no sense but I wasn't going back in there again and La Cucina was the only one available. Good thing because it turned out to be fine. Le Bistro was excellent. Service, food- just a really nice time.

This brings me to last night, Teppanyaki. I think my eyes are still swollen from the sodium. Oh my god. I've been to Benihana type places before and knew what to expect. We didn't go to any of the shows so I told my husband, hey this is like we're at a show... (We avoid shows). So it was all good until the chef started drenching everything in soy sauce. I mean drenching and then going back and pouring it on again. The end result was beautiful lobster, steak, calamari and shrimp made so salty that we almost couldn't eat it. My clothes were becoming saturated in smoke, we were sitting there gagging on the soy sauce, so we made an excuse and legged it out of there before dessert.

Manhattan: not good. No no no. I had "mushroom stroganoff" which is where I guess you hit when you're at the bottom of the barrel of cost cutting- leave out the beef altogether- and it was horrible. But the Garden Cafe was good- best tasting buffet I think I've ever had. The Indian food was really good. And NCL has really stepped up their game with desserts. They used to be laughable but now they're usually pretty good.

Better desserts, great crew, cleanliness, good lido buffet- was this just because we were on a new(er) ship? If I was to go back on Dawn would the good parts remain the same? Is there some way I can experience this and stay the hell away from Breakaway for the rest of my life?

Final note: sailing NCL really brings home to me how bad Carnival has become with the cost cutting measures. I have sailed only Carnival for the last four years, except for one HAL trip. It was nice to have Andes mints on the bed. The day you would ever see cold washcloths and lemonade upon getting back to the ship at port on a Carnival ship- wouldn't happen. So I was happy to be on NCL but never again on Breakaway.

PS: Bermuda was beautiful ;)

Did I read that correct? You don't do any shows? That's usually one of the big selling points of the mega ships.

Did I read that correct? You don't do any shows? That's usually one of the big selling points of the mega ships.

I hadn't reserved any, didn't feel like dealing with a line or the crowds, and honestly we kind of think the shows are cheesy. On all ships. That said, Bollywood on Dawn was a fantastic show. We loved it.

We need a new ratio for assessing crowdedness. Gross tonnage per person? But here is the thing, BA's capacity is 4000 pax but according to NCLH SEC filings, the average capacity across a year is 109%. 4000 is based on double occupancy, which means that prime weeks the ship could actually be carrying 6000 pax plus crew. So 8000 people could be on the ship. Is it any wonder there is no quiet space?

Ideally we would divide the number of pax by the amount of public real estate but those numbers aren't available. Crowd levels are very important to me yet there is no objective metric. I try and sail off season. Aside from better pricing, there are less people using the available resources. If I wanted to fight crowds, I would go to Disney.

We need a new ratio for assessing crowdedness. Gross tonnage per person? But here is the thing, BA's capacity is 4000 pax but according to NCLH SEC filings, the average capacity across a year is 109%. 4000 is based on double occupancy, which means that prime weeks the ship could actually be carrying 6000 pax plus crew. So 8000 people could be on the ship. Is it any wonder there is no quiet space?

Ideally we would divide the number of pax by the amount of public real estate but those numbers aren't available. Crowd levels are very important to me yet there is no objective metric. I try and sail off season. Aside from better pricing, there are less people using the available resources. If I wanted to fight crowds, I would go to Disney.

You actually can find out how much space there is per person. There is actually more on BA than Dawn. But I have no idea where that space is actually located. And if everything is crowded into one place (poor design) you can throw those numbers out the window.

You actually can find out how much space there is per person. There is actually more on BA than Dawn. But I have no idea where that space is actually located. And if everything is crowded into one place (poor design) you can throw those numbers out the window.

Something many people don't realize gross tonnage is calculated as enclosed interior volume. So this factors in the staterooms (where one won't "feel the squeeze").

But as magnitudes more people are added to ships with additional layers of hotel deck, the public spaces don't grow proportionately, and the exterior spaces aren't counted in gross tonnage (for example, even in gross tonnage terms central park and the boardwalk/aqua theater on Allure and Oasis don't count). Pool decks don't become significantly longer or wider; there is just a fractional increase there. So outdoor areas are more crowded than even and creating more indoor venues of a smaller size doesn't seem to help the problem if a venue is popular. This only works if all the venues are busy and popular, then the crowds move around.

The lack of major proportionate growth to public areas and especially uncounted open deck space is why these numbers can be a great big lie and why an older ship that holds 2K people but has the same PSR (Passenger Space Rating) as a newer ship that holds 4K people can likely feel WAY less crowded.