Is there a reasonably cost-effective way to cruise from Port Canaveral?

MLK weekend and President's day weekend will have higher prices for flights and cars. We have had good luck with Dollar or Budget from MCO to Port Canaveral. Depending on the number of people, RCI transfers may be cheaper.

mac_tlc

Actually, Port Canaveral is one of the most convenient ports for the fly-in traveler. We usually use a one-way rental car for about $50 for the trip from the airport to the port, and a shuttle back to the airport after the cruise for about $20pp. Hotels are also reasonable in the Cocoa Beach area.

Check out Galveston if you want to experience a port that is very expensive and inconvenient for the fly-in traveler.

do you remember who you used?

He's going to tell you Cortrans. He, and another traveler, recommended it to me in another post. I also checked them out online, and Trip Advisor gives them good reviews.

I will be using them next week. So, if they do not live up to my expectations, or if they exceed them, I will post it in my review.

Edited by jayblue

I'm a (mostly) solo traveler. RCCL is never cost effective.

You could see some ports in Europe at the tail end of an eastward TA (or front end of a westward TA) for less than $2000 - that's cost effective compared to trying the same thing on a land tour.

You could see some ports in Europe at the tail end of an eastward TA (or front end of a westward TA) for less than $2000 - that's cost effective compared to trying the same thing on a land tour.

In that case it makes sense.

I think that the poster that made the comment to say that by the time we get done paying for airfare and transport, a shorter cruise doesn't make sense. With my trip that is coming up, the almost negligible cost of airfare between Chicago to Orlando was really what sealed the deal for me. Flight and transfer together were about $175.

Some people are not aware the central Florida area has a small airport in Sanford, Florida which is about 25 miles from MCO. Check out Alligient Airlines.

You may look at flying in to Jacksonville. Orlando is one of the most expensive places to fly to.

There are a number of airports within a reasonable (60-90 minute) drive to PC:

Sanford (1 hour)

MCO (45 minutes)

Melbourne (45 minutes)

Daytona (1 hour)

If you want to expand your drive to 2-3 hours, you can add:

Jacksonville (2 1/2 hours)

Tampa (2 hours)

Ft. Lauderdale (2 1/2 hours)

A price conscientious traveler would look at least at the first four. Of course, that assumes you can get to those airports from your home airport.

You may look at flying in to Jacksonville. Orlando is one of the most expensive places to fly to.

I think most people on here (including me) would disagree. According to this http://www.businessinsider.com/these-are-the-cheapest-us-airports-to-fly-in-and-out-of-2015-7 it's the 9th cheapest.

Edited by time4u2go

I've looked at cruises from PC, but I can't seem to put together anything that makes sense financially when I factor in the cost of the airfare and the ground transportation to and from the port. Virtually every combination I've come up with so far exceeds the cost of the cruise.

Is this a "Florida residents only" departure port?

Check Tampa out. Less cruises, but easy airport to get in and out of.

We have friends that sail Carnival and they sometimes sail out of Jacksonville. Without us though! :)

Oh, they do it alright. The price they quoted me for flight (didn't even include the ground transfers, which I could add at an additional cost) was over $500 and involved a return flight through O'Hare that had me back in Cleveland about midnight.
Not sure what or where your looking but ground transfers from Orlando to PC have always been a fair price....50.00

There are a number of airports within a reasonable (60-90 minute) drive to PC:

Sanford (1 hour)

MCO (45 minutes)

Melbourne (45 minutes)

Daytona (1 hour)

If you want to expand your drive to 2-3 hours, you can add:

Jacksonville (2 1/2 hours)

Tampa (2 hours)

Ft. Lauderdale (2 1/2 hours)

A price conscientious traveler would look at least at the first four. Of course, that assumes you can get to those airports from your home airport.

Don't forget West Palm Beach - very nice airport! I would guess that it's about 2 hours away?

I stumbled onto a $156 rt flight from ORD to MCO this week. So of course I had to book a short cruise. :)

Short cruises might not be the most financially smart things to do, but as a midwesterner who loves to cruise, they are worth it to me as long as airfare isn't too outrageous. If I'm able to add on some pre or post days vacation, even better.

Edited by renech

Not everyone has SW as an option. Our airport is the hub of American (formerly USAir) so we don't have the ton of SW options like many of you in the Midwest. And now that AA & USAir have merged the prices in and out of Philly have gotten outrageous

I think I just got very lucky when I happened to check and did get that fare on AA. I am glad we have SW as an option too, however I find that unless there's a big sale on, they don't usually have the best last minute prices.

SW doesn't fly out of ORD, but MDW.

The lower airfares for us are the result of cheaper fuel prices (which is interesting, because our pump prices have barely budged).

And MKE! Sometimes I've seen cheaper fares from MKE than MDW, depending on when/where you're going.

I personally am hesitant to book SW for a winter flight because SW doesn't codeshare. Unless I have a day or two of "float", I try to stick with great deals on the majors. Delta has been price-competitive from the midwest lately, with the caveat that past performance doesn't predict future (bargain) results. :cool:

Edited by undercat

SW doesn't fly out of ORD, but MDW.

The lower airfares for us are the result of cheaper fuel prices (which is interesting, because our pump prices have barely budged).

Right. Both are about the same distance for us, so I just go with whichever has the best price/times.